Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2081989 - 05/13/13 04:28 PM My Grand Search
Juli_et Offline

Loc: On, Canada
Hi everyone,

I'm just starting looking for a grand piano and I thought I would start my own piano search thread. I expect it to a journey for several months. At this point I don't really have questions so I'm just going to relate which piano I tried and comments on them. Please feel free to comments.

Background:
I studied piano in college but when I went to university (studying something other than music), all I had to practice was a 125 year old Dominion upright. Then I didn't have money or life got in the way so after not playing much for 13 years I decided to buy a piano. So a little over a year ago, I bought a brand new Yamaha upright.
I always thought the root cause of not practicing was that I was too frustrated with my old 125 years old Dominion but it had been so long since I had practiced seriously that I was in a vicious circle. I always thought the piano I would buy would be a grand and the last piano I ever buy. Because I wasn't practicing, I couldn't justify for myself the cost of the grand I wanted. So my husband convinced me that I just needed to get out of this vicious circle and not think about it as the last piano I ever buy. At the time, a good reliable upright seemed perfect in the sense that if I don't use it that much, I would enjoy it much better than the old one, and it would not take the space a grand required so I could fit it in anywhere I move in the future. But now I find myself practicing everyday and having long term plans so I want a grand. The good news is I feel my Yamaha upright serves me well enough that I don't have to rush to buy one so I can take my time.

What I think I'm looking for:
Could be Japan, USA or Europe made
At least 6 feet long
Brand new

What I've tried so far:
1986 Steinway L: it was lovely, it was at the close by dealer but it is now sold. It had a mellow sound that I liked better than the new ones.
Yamaha C2X: I liked the mellow sound of the CX series, it had a sharp attack which I don't know yet if I like it or not, the action responded really good, I would like to try the C3X and/or C5X and/or C6X
Yamaha C6: like most Yamaha piano, I liked it, nothing bothers me but I don't fall in love with them, it was bright

I went to another place selling Bechstein and Schimmel but it is not listed on the Bechstein website as an authorized dealer. Those are the 3 pianos they had from Bechstein and Schimmel were Bechstein A-175, Bechstein A-208 and Schimmel C182. I don't think any of them were at their full potential. I don;t have a lot of experience trying pianos but it felt like the action wasn't right. When I played soft on the A-208 and the C182, the hammer was like bouncing back almost hitting the string a second time. The A-175 was the best one with a mellow sound a little small to my taste, the bass wasn't deep enough.

Future plans:
Kawai dealer close by
A trip (or several, I'm only about 4 hours away) to Toronto for more choices.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2082051 - 05/13/13 06:59 PM Re: My Grand Search [Re: Juli_et]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Looking forward to following your piano search as it unfolds.

RE the action problem you are describing: yes, the piano needs adjustment. Probably the action has not been regulated well. I also encountered very poor prep work on Bechsteins when I was shopping.

#2082153 - 05/13/13 10:33 PM Re: My Grand Search [Re: Juli_et]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi Juli et, it sounds like you are in a good position for grand shopping: You've got a nice upright that will serve you for the time being, so you can take your time and not be rushed into a hasty decision.

If you don't mind sharing, do you have an approximate budget range you're working with? That might help us narrow down suggestions.

My main advice (as always) is to create a piano shopping template where you record information about each piano you try that you think might be a contender, e.g., dealer name, piano model & size, finish, asking price, your impressions of the action and tone of the piano, etc. etc. If you conduct a careful and thorough search, you will find that all the different pianos will start running together in your mind. Good notes will help a lot. Make sure to record the serial numbers of each of the contenders.

Good luck, and keep us posted. smile

#2082360 - 05/14/13 10:23 AM Re: My Grand Search [Re: Monica K.]
Juli_et Offline

Loc: On, Canada
Originally Posted By: musicpassion
RE the action problem you are describing: yes, the piano needs adjustment. Probably the action has not been regulated well. I also encountered very poor prep work on Bechsteins when I was shopping.
I told the woman it needed work but she only thought it needed tuning.
I think there is an authorized Bechstein dealer in Toronto so maybe when I go there they'll have better prep.

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Hi Juli et, it sounds like you are in a good position for grand shopping: You've got a nice upright that will serve you for the time being, so you can take your time and not be rushed into a hasty decision.
Yes smile I don't want to rush my decision.

If you don't mind sharing, do you have an approximate budget range you're working with? That might help us narrow down suggestions.
Pianos are so expensive that my budget has been evolving with time....what I can afford is probably higher than what I'm mentally willing to pay...people think I'm cheap but I prefer seeing it as carefully choosing to pay for what is really important for me and my own happiness.
So anyway, right now I'm comfortable with 40k-50k and that going as high as 70k-80k would be reasonable based on my age and counting all the years I'll be enjoying it.

My main advice (as always) is to create a piano shopping template where you record information about each piano you try that you think might be a contender, e.g., dealer name, piano model & size, finish, asking price, your impressions of the action and tone of the piano, etc. etc. If you conduct a careful and thorough search, you will find that all the different pianos will start running together in your mind. Good notes will help a lot. Make sure to record the serial numbers of each of the contenders.
I've taking some notes but it's been mostly informal. I think I'll follow your advice and create a template so I won't forget things to note. Thanks!

#2082365 - 05/14/13 10:43 AM Re: My Grand Search [Re: Juli_et]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Juli_et
Originally Posted By: musicpassion
I told the woman it needed work but she only thought it needed tuning.
I think there is an authorized Bechstein dealer in Toronto so maybe when I go there they'll have better prep.

Yes smile I don't want to rush my decision.

Pianos are so expensive that my budget has been evolving with time....what I can afford is probably higher than what I'm mentally willing to pay...people think I'm cheap but I prefer seeing it as carefully choosing to pay for what is really important for me and my own happiness.
So anyway, right now I'm comfortable with 40k-50k and that going as high as 70k-80k would be reasonable based on my age and counting all the years I'll be enjoying it.

I've taking some notes but it's been mostly informal. I think I'll follow your advice and create a template so I won't forget things to note. Thanks!

You're in Steinway B, M&H BB, CC territory, and a number of the fabulous European brands as well. Lucky you. In that case, take a long time and choose carefully.

#2082397 - 05/14/13 11:25 AM Re: My Grand Search [Re: Juli_et]
Carbonblob Online   content

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Hi Juli et,

when I read the original post, I was going to offer advice I received from this group. That being, if you're looking at the Yamahas in that range, try the Kawai RX series. I had a Yamaha as well but went with the Kawai RX in the end. However, after you posted your budget, you could be looking at the Shigeru Kawais and wow, those are really special in my book. I was fortunate enough to play an SK7 a few weeks back, what an instrument.

I also agree with making a shopping template. After a while, notes DID run together and didn't make much sense. I needed a precise log and that was a big help. Keep us posted, you'll have a great time searching out your piano. That was part of the fun for me, at least. Happy hunting......blob

#2082410 - 05/14/13 11:45 AM Re: My Grand Search [Re: Juli_et]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, Virginia
Juliet,

You're right, you will find a wide variety of piano dealers in the Toronto area. Be sure to visit Remenyi House of Music in Toronto. The Remenyis sell premium piano lines like Bechstein, Bluthner, and August Forster, with Fazioli soon to arrive. They also sell more modestly priced piano lines like W. Hoffmann, Irmler and Pearl River. The Remenyi family and the other staff are very friendly and helpful. You can spend a very pleasant morning or afternoon in their showroom auditioning pianos, and possibly find the instrument that is right for you.

Good luck.

#2082414 - 05/14/13 11:50 AM Re: My Grand Search [Re: Juli_et]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

As well, check out Ontario Pianos in Mississauga and Merriam in Vaughn and Oakville.

#2082433 - 05/14/13 12:25 PM Re: My Grand Search [Re: Juli_et]
Ataru074 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: Juli_et

As have been said... you are in a golden budget for a piano.
Take your time and try as many as you can. Personally I'd look at steingraber, bosendorfer and so on... you can get a tier one.. do it.
Mozart: Kv397
Beethoven: Op 14 #2
Prokofiev: Op.10
Bartok: Notturno
===============================================

#2082447 - 05/14/13 01:14 PM Re: My Grand Search [Re: Mwm]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, Virginia
Might as well throw in Robert Lowrey Piano Experts in Toronto for good measure!

LOL. Remenyi is the only Toronto dealer that I have dealt with personally, so that was why I singled them out.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
VI Labs True Keys: From ilok to Hard Drive Activation
by imyself
09/18/14 10:46 AM
A REALLY Indirect Blow Action
by Steve Cohen
09/18/14 09:01 AM
Bone chilling ending to pieces
by lacrymosa85
09/18/14 08:44 AM
help with finger numbers in this piece...
by PianoKimmy
09/18/14 05:35 AM
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
09/18/14 01:21 AM
Who's Online
150 registered (ajames, Alexander Borro, accordeur, 3mb3r4, 3times2, 42 invisible), 1530 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157601 Topics
2314980 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission