2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by jdhampton924
We are pretty high up there fore sure, also high up on the list of most unhappy cities. I can see it, nearly all my friends have lost any sense of idealism, and passion, in most cases feeling that life is over in their mid 20s.

In the late 1970s I declined a job offer as General Manager of the Evansville Symphony Orchestra - partly because I decided that orchestral management was not the best career choice for me - but also because during my visits to Evansville I felt a deep sense of "isolation" from the rest of the world. You've obviously had a good experience there - which is great !! But you would probably be wise to relocate to (or near) a larger metropolitan area for your graduate studies - just to have that type of experience as well.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey
We are pretty high up there fore sure, also high up on the list of most unhappy cities. I can see it, nearly all my friends have lost any sense of idealism, and passion, in most cases feeling that life is over in their mid 20s.

In the late 1970s I declined a job offer as General Manager of the Evansville Symphony Orchestra - partly because I decided that orchestral management was not the best career choice for me - but also because during my visits to Evansville I felt a deep sense of "isolation" from the rest of the world. You've obviously had a good experience there - which is great !! But you would probably be wise to relocate to (or near) a larger metropolitan area for your graduate studies - just to have that type of experience as well.

Actually what you touch on here is how I feel as well. I have talked with friends many times especially after the Unhappy city stuff came out. "Isolation" is the perfect term for it. Our orchestra is decent overall, but overall we are isolated, and pretty self sufficient. It works, sometimes the economy here has not been the worst, but at the same time, it feels that everything happens outside of town. We are not really "close" to many things. Only about 90 minutes from Louisville. I go to school in Terre Haute indiana, it feels a lot like Evansville sometimes, but part of life there is going up to Indianapolis which does have a bit more to it. At least in the arts.

OK - you're in school at Terre Haute - not Evansville - got it !!

An Army buddy of mine taught piano at the University in Terre Haute from 1967 to 2007. Through my job I used to visit arts groups in Terra Haute (traveling from Indianapolis) in the late 1970's. My impression of Terre Haute was pretty much the same as Evansville. grin Fortunately there is more going on in the arts in Indianapolis. Visiting a city like Indy is not quite the same thing as actually living there. Hope you will be able to relocate to a more stimulating community in the future !!! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Plowboy

As random as it sounds, my biggest problem was my weight...I am definitely too fat, and have been working on that aspect on getting a healthier lifestyle, which helps with energy, focus, appearance even.

Getting away from Evansville will help with that. It must be the most obese city in the nation.

It's not all bad. The museum has a pretty decent art collection, and I liked the planetarium. The riverfront is beautiful, the Clean Water Act did the river a lot of good.

But on my visits back, there really is a layer of depression over the city. Especially in the winter, when everything becomes one shade of gray, from the ground up.

It's best days are in the past it seems, now that industry has left.

Good luck with your search.

edit: If I was going to move back to Indiana to live, it would be in Bloomington. (I wouldn't call them nightmares, but occasionally I have these disturbing dreams that I've moved back to E'ville.)

Last edited by Plowboy; 05/13/13 07:14 PM.

Gary
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

As random as it sounds, my biggest problem was my weight...I am definitely too fat, and have been working on that aspect on getting a healthier lifestyle, which helps with energy, focus, appearance even.

Getting away from Evansville will help with that. It must be the most obese city in the nation.

It's not all bad. The museum has a pretty decent art collection, and I liked the planetarium. The riverfront is beautiful, the Clean Water Act did the river a lot of good.

But on my visits back, there really is a layer of depression over the city. Especially in the winter, when everything becomes one shade of gray, from the ground up.

It's best days are in the past it seems, now that industry has left.

Good luck with your search.

edit: If I was going to move back to Indiana to live, it would be in Bloomington. (I wouldn't call them nightmares, but occasionally I have these disturbing dreams that I've moved back to E'ville.)

I had the pleasure of working at the Museum here for about 8 years, as a volunteer. I started when I was 13, and stopped when I was 21. I have a lot of fond memories of that place. Helped out with camp ins, put on many of the science demonstrations, and was shown how to operate the planetarium(highlight right there). I think my picture is still up on their website. I also got lucky enough to perform a solo piano recital there. In their big room with most of the paintings. It was a very nice experience, and good atmosphere for a recital. I had a pretty good turn out as well.

Last edited by jdhampton924; 05/13/13 07:28 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

... and was shown how to operate the planetarium(highlight right there).

Now THAT is cool!

Gary
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Why has no one mentioned Curtis or Juilliard?....

Maybe this is an OK place to bring this up......

I've been surprised to never see any discussion here of the 3 conservatories in New York City: Juilliard, Mannes, and Manhattan. (Maybe there's been some discussion but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been much, at least any time lately.) I mean, all the time we have discussions comparing all kinds of other things, like composers or pieces or pianists, and this seems like a natural thing that people would want to be comparing too.

Maybe there's an assumption that it's just an easy thing without much to be said: Juilliard is the place, the others aren't, and you only consider them if you can't get into Juilliard. Maybe to some extent that's true but I know it's not the whole story. And I don't know a lot about this, but I'd be interested to see discussion of it some time....

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Do you really need a doctorate in piano performance if you want to perform for a living? Are they going to pay you via assistantships or grants or are you going to go into debt to get the diploma? If you're going to have to finance it for yourself, I'd say skip it.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Juilliard is the place, the others aren't...

Many would disagree with you on that - for example, I know many who believe Curtis to be a better school than Juilliard. Probably we have members here who attended these schools...why don't we ask them? grin

Regards,

Polyphonist

Many would disagree with you on that....

Did you stop reading my post right there? grin

(I disagreed with it!)

And besides, I wasn't talking about comparing it with Curtis, only with the other conservatories in NYC.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Many would disagree with you on that....

Did you stop reading my post right there? grin

(I disagreed with it!)

And besides, I wasn't talking about comparing it with Curtis, only with the other conservatories in NYC.

I see. I did the evil maneuver where you pull out a tiny piece of someone's post and take it out of context, and then argue against it. ha Sorry about that.

Regards,

Polyphonist
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by boo1234
Do you really need a doctorate in piano performance if you want to perform for a living? Are they going to pay you via assistantships or grants or are you going to go into debt to get the diploma? If you're going to have to finance it for yourself, I'd say skip it.

Well my plan overall is to pay using assistantships and grants, and those will factor into my decisions heavily. You don't really "need" much. I have had it argued(pretty well actually) that I didn't need my Bachelors or Masters. It is my personal goal, and something I want to do with my life.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Why has no one mentioned Curtis or Juilliard?....

Maybe this is an OK place to bring this up......

I've been surprised to never see any discussion here of the 3 conservatories in New York City: Juilliard, Mannes, and Manhattan. (Maybe there's been some discussion but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been much, at least any time lately.) I mean, all the time we have discussions comparing all kinds of other things, like composers or pieces or pianists, and this seems like a natural thing that people would want to be comparing too.

Maybe there's an assumption that it's just an easy thing without much to be said: Juilliard is the place, the others aren't, and you only consider them if you can't get into Juilliard. Maybe to some extent that's true but I know it's not the whole story. And I don't know a lot about this, but I'd be interested to see discussion of it some time....

While I don't agree that it is just Julliard. The idea that Julliard and company are a level of schools that some people do feel that way about. It is like when I had to work on Scriabin Op 8 No. 12. My biggest problem was a mental block from hearing it played so well by performers like Horowitz. It became a, "I won't be able to play this near that, and that is how most people hear it, why should I learn it?"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission