Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2082068 - 05/13/13 07:35 PM Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled
jimmymio Offline

HI. I have one of those Yamaha uprights where the hammer butt flange threads have disintegrated over time. I replaced them all but when i reinstalled the action I noticed that the entire mid range of the piano sound sounds really dull where it used to be pleasingly bright.
I don't think it is individual hammer voicing. Any idea what might cause this across most of the keyboard?
Thanks for any help

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2082073 - 05/13/13 07:48 PM Re: Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled [Re: jimmymio]
Johnkie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
Did the hammers get refaced ? If not that's most likely your problem, as it will be unlikely that you have installed them in exactly the original position, leading to strings not being mated properly.

#2082078 - 05/13/13 08:01 PM Re: Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled [Re: jimmymio]
SMHaley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle
I would guess two things. First I would double check the alignment of the action and make certain its properly seated. Second would be the squaring and mating of the hammer to the strings, especially if one removed the hammers to deal with the flange threads.
Church Music Professional
Curator of instruments - Chancel Arts
Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single

#2082114 - 05/13/13 08:51 PM Re: Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled [Re: jimmymio]
jimmymio Offline

Thanks for the quick replies.
The action is properly seated and I also disconnected the pedals to eliminate that question.
Most definitely had to remove all the hammers to replace the flanges. Do you advise that i manually reposition each hammer so that it hits the string exactly where it had done it previously. Sounds pretty time consuming. But if that's what it takes...
Any tricks to make this easier?

#2082123 - 05/13/13 09:13 PM Re: Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled [Re: jimmymio]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Piano work is nothing if not time consuming.

#2082133 - 05/13/13 09:41 PM Re: Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled [Re: jimmymio]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
Did you replace the entire flange, or just the threads?
Richfield Springs, New York

#2082135 - 05/13/13 09:47 PM Re: Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled [Re: jimmymio]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Not many things (if any) in piano work are as easy and straight forward as they might appear. Most things become easier and quicker once you have done them a dozen times.

Did you replace the flange cords or the flanges themselves? You state both. If the replacement flange cords are a bit too short, that can restrict hammer movement.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2082223 - 05/14/13 01:51 AM Re: Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled [Re: jimmymio]
jimmymio Offline

Sorry for not being more clear but I replaced the entire flange.

Can this adjustment be done without removing the action and using the screw that mounts the flange to the action rail? There didn't seem to be much play there.

Or do I have to remove the action and adjust using the the small hammer butt flange screw back behind by the cord?
Thanks again

Edited by jimmymio (05/14/13 03:03 AM)

#2082270 - 05/14/13 04:53 AM Re: Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled [Re: jimmymio]
Johnkie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
As I have already said .... if you have taken the hammers of to replace the flanges then it's almost certain that your problem lays with the cuts in the hammer noses not being exactly lined up as they originally were. Either get them back to their original position .... using the flange screws not the butt plate screws ! or reface the hammers. The middle section will always be affected to a greater extent as the hammers are used a great deal more, making the cuts deeper. I hope that helps jimmy. wink

#2082285 - 05/14/13 06:22 AM Re: Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled [Re: jimmymio]
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
What Johnkie said. Also, since you replaced the entire flange, you probably need to "travel" the hammershanks by papering the flanges so the hammers strike the strings squarely. If you don't the hammers may "swipe" the strings at an angle resulting in loss of power and tone.

You may want to call in a professional technician to help with traveling, alignment, and reshaping, which might be necessary now.

It's too late now for your piano, but there is a method to replace the flange cords without disturbing the flanges themselves. Jeffrey Hickey is a tech who posts here frequently, and he wrote an excellent article on this subject, published in the Piano Technicians Journal last year.

#2082300 - 05/14/13 07:24 AM Re: Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled [Re: jimmymio]
Toni Goldener Offline

Loc: Switzerland
If possible, align the string grooves of the hammer head to the strings, loose the hammerbut flange screw, about half a turn and move the but with the indexfinger, then tighten the screw again or:
reshape the hammers, travel, mate to the strings etc.
I already had some loose hammer buts during a tuning, and I tighted them and the tone sounds dull. I aligned the hammer grooves to the strings and it was nearely the same again.
If you have really deep grooves not aligned with the strings, then a testblow can harm the hammer.
Phone: +41 77 420 55 65

#2082314 - 05/14/13 08:17 AM Re: Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled [Re: jimmymio]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
If hammer misalignment - i.e. grooves to strings - is the correct diagnosis, and you opt to go the reshaping route, be prepared for the likelihood that, consequently, all hammers may need treatment accordingly to provide consistency in touch and timbre throughout; that is, reshaping, et al., the action regulated to compensate for all differential, fine tune, then voicing. Of course, it goes without saying that if the grooves are quite bad, then new hammers are needed along with regulation, voicing, etc.

"Not to know what took place before you were born is to remain forever a child." - Cicero

#2082429 - 05/14/13 12:18 PM Re: Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled [Re: jimmymio]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
Dear All,

I did indeed put together an article on replacing the flange-cords without disturbing the alignment of the hammers and regulation of the action. I was faced with an instrument where the owner absolutely wanted no change to the sound of the piano...so I had to find a way to change the cords without disturbing the hammer-to-string mating. Leaving all the flanges in place on the rail was the answer. I thought it was a brilliant discovery....but have learned that MANY technicians had already done it this way....I was just the guy who took pictures and sent it to the Journal!

Anyone who wants a copy can eMail and I'll heave it your way.
TunerJeff@aol.com

In this case, where the flanges were changed out, the ONLY answer is taking the time to carefully re-align all the hammers with the original string grooves in the hammer. The 'soft' 'muffled' sound is because the hammer is striking away from the grooves in the hammers. It takes time, but would certainly bring it back to where it was. Don't wait too long to make this adjustment! The hammers won't go back if you start pounding the felt away from the original grooves, and changing the composition of the strike-point yet again.

Slightly loosen the flange screws and use a narrow screwdriver to gently shift the flanges/hammers while striking the key; there may be enough play in the screw/flange to get the hammer back in place and then re-tighten the screw. But...the hammers must be square to the string and travel straight if this is going to help. Changing the flanges can lead to all manner of minor adjustment and tweaking needed to get things back to 'normal'. You may need an experienced tech to re-align the hammers.

From the armchair,
.02------Ching!

#2082509 - 05/14/13 03:37 PM Re: Yamaha upright suddenly sounds muffled [Re: jimmymio]
jimmymio Offline

Great feedback. Thanks to all for sharing so generously.

The problem is that it seems the flange really want to sit in one position only. When I loosen the screws and re-position the flanges, they seem to slide right back to their original position as I re-tighten them.

That being said, I was able to improve things somewhat but I see some hammer work coming up sooner rather than later.

Thanks again.

Edited by jimmymio (05/14/13 07:03 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (Atrys, accordeur, Anticlock, ascc, 32 invisible), 1314 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295868 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
35 minutes 27 seconds ago
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
36 minutes 9 seconds ago
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission