2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Rostosky #2082310 05/14/13 08:12 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Originally Posted by Peyton
Do we ever get beejeezus back? Maybe it builds back like, well...sperm.

Sperm builds back?

I thought I was born with a limited amount and have been eking mine out very very carefully over the years.

One needs an alternative to bostic when gluing piano parts back together , Coincidentally, wayne has just found this out, now I know he was just awaiting a build up.

See what you learn on this site??? Now you can get out that and really have some fun.

dire tonic #2082319 05/14/13 08:39 AM

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dire tonic
has anyone managed to isolate a solitary beejeezum (beejeezu?, beejeezon?)in the laboratory?

There's a place in Switzerland where they've got this huge 18km circular underground tunnel that was specifically developed for bejeezi splitting (given that I suppose it is a masculine noun of the second declension in its nominative plural form, though perhaps I should have used the ablative bejeezos, hard to say).

When they ran the first tests many people were foolishly in fear that it would cause the end of the world. Needless to say, they lost some bejeezus that day.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Phil D #2082369 05/14/13 10:47 AM

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Phil D
Sorry you didn't get much help on the tech forum - it's just that the nature of a piano like this means that walking someone through a possible repair for something diagnosed over the internet can lead to further damage, mistakes and a piano that still isn't fixed. Most experienced technicians have seen their fair share of bodged repair attempts from sheepish piano owners, and it's not nice to have to bill someone for a lot of work to fix something they damaged because they didn't want to pay a technician to do the original repair. I'm very glad you managed to get this done well yourself though!

Likewise. Moreover, we would hope that pianists understand that professional piano technicians are just that - professional, i.e. for profit. It is a business, not a charity. Many piano techs work 60 hour weeks and more. What little charity some techs are both able and willing to provide via the tech forum is on their time and, no doubt, much appreciated by many. With respect to obsolete technology - such as the "birdcage" action - most, if not all, of the techs I have known over the years either cannot or will not work on these. Accordingly, free advice concerning the repair of such, if any, will be exceedingly limited. The vitriol manifest by some is regrettable inasmuch as it only tends to make professional techs less likely to tend toward charity.

Last edited by bkw58; 05/14/13 10:48 AM. Reason: typo

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
casinitaly #2082408 05/14/13 11:42 AM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by casinitaly
has anyone managed to isolate a solitary beejeezum (beejeezu?, beejeezon?)in the laboratory?

There's a place in Switzerland where they've got this huge 18km circular underground tunnel that was specifically developed for bejeezi splitting (given that I suppose it is a masculine noun of the second declension in its nominative plural form, though perhaps I should have used the ablative bejeezos, hard to say).

When they ran the first tests many people were foolishly in fear that it would cause the end of the world. Needless to say, they lost some bejeezus that day.

thumb This cracked me up on more than one level. Brava, ma'am. laugh

Last edited by Derulux; 05/14/13 01:10 PM.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
bkw58 #2082409 05/14/13 11:43 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bkw58
With respect to obsolete technology - such as the "birdcage" action - most, if not all, of the techs I have known over the years either cannot or will not work on these.

Shame on them then for not knowing their craft well enough.

And just who is it that is trying to tell folk like wayne they are playing on "obsolete technology?"

The further you go back in time the simpler the instrument actually is in the case of pianos,

Again, shame on them for not knowing or wanting to work on "certain types " of pianos, that are in abundance and being used and loved, and for the propaganda of "obsolete" as applied to certain pianos....

really.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
Derulux #2082423 05/14/13 12:08 PM

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Derulux

thumb This cracked me up on more than one level. Bravo, sir. laugh

We aim to please.....(but just for your info...that should be "Brava ma'am" wink )

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

casinitaly #2082444 05/14/13 01:09 PM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Derulux

thumb This cracked me up on more than one level. Bravo, sir. laugh

We aim to please.....(but just for your info...that should be "Brava ma'am" wink )

I apologize!!! Funny and educational.. who knew? grin

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
casinitaly #2082468 05/14/13 01:51 PM

And all this time I had believed Bejeezi splitting was what we with smaller hands do whenever a 10th shows up on the music sheet.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

Rostosky #2082484 05/14/13 02:23 PM

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Originally Posted by bkw58
With respect to obsolete technology - such as the "birdcage" action - most, if not all, of the techs I have known over the years either cannot or will not work on these.

Shame on them then for not knowing their craft well enough.

And just who is it that is trying to tell folk like wayne they are playing on "obsolete technology?"

The further you go back in time the simpler the instrument actually is in the case of pianos,

Again, shame on them for not knowing or wanting to work on "certain types " of pianos, that are in abundance and being used and loved, and for the propaganda of "obsolete" as applied to certain pianos....

really.

Thank you for your thoughts. Best wishes to you and yours.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
wayne33yrs #2082568 05/14/13 05:18 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
ooops, looks like I accidentally beejeezussed a piano tech.

This will probably cause nightmares concerning ancient, beautifull and much loved european pianos in need of loving restoration, and a heaven comprised of such like, where he will be doomed to repair and maintain these delights just for the love of pianos as instruments and the folk that play them.

One thing that we were taught at school, ( yes rossy did attend school and pay attention for a little while,until they couldnt answer my questions adequately)

Was this: various woods used in a multitudes of instruments ( pianos not least) were not necessarily at their best at the point of manufacture.

In other words, as woods mellow over time, an instrument can actually get better with age, soundwise, and become more resonant: in this case, for the point I am making.

Let me give you an example that is easy to digest:

Stradivarious violins....

The scientists wanted to know why some are so exceptional, compared even to some made slightly earlier or later from the "same" manufacturer.

The conclusions ; on the "exceptional ones" the wood was taken from the same source..

So they looked at the source... it turns out that during the years that preceeded the taking of the wood, there was an exceptionally cold few decades...

During thse frozen spells, that wood ( like all wood) had only grown a very little amount each year, the cold had restricted its growth, you could clearly see by the ring growth of other trees known to be around at the same time ( aged by their ring growth)
That this had happened.

That makes the wood extremely dense: tightly packed ring growth.

which makes it special for the application it was used for which is violins in this instance.

No two pieces of wood are the same even if taken from the same tree,

Anyone, therefore could have in their possesion a most beautiful , and resonant instrument, just on the basis of an "accident of nature" in the wood that went into their particular instrument, which is not the same piece of wood as anyone else has got.

That piano, may well have a "birdcage apparatus" in it.

Trust your heart and your soul and your ears when deciding what a great tone a piano has, the name on the fall board does not necessarily dictate this aspect.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission