2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
justpin #2081754 05/13/13 08:02 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by justpin
You own a digital.... with short samples short decay etc you might as well stick a brick on the pedal!

It translates poorly to a real piano as the sounds will mush!
I depends on the digital, and also on the settings you have for the sustain with the pedal. Some digitals can adjust this.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morodiene #2081760 05/13/13 08:15 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I didn't want to get into the idea of compounding notes one after the other when using the damper pedal. But really, have you ever seen when a damper doesn't fully clear the strings? It's not a dull thud unless there's a lot of contact. But you can have it slightly off timing-wise and not get the full resonance. Another issue that can happen is if the dampers aren't lifting high enough, so they still have slight contact with the strings.

Time to call the piano tech! wink

Yup, I hope no digitals try to reproduce that. Though that is my biggest "complaint" with digitals these days - they often sound too good!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Andy Platt #2081763 05/13/13 08:20 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I didn't want to get into the idea of compounding notes one after the other when using the damper pedal. But really, have you ever seen when a damper doesn't fully clear the strings? It's not a dull thud unless there's a lot of contact. But you can have it slightly off timing-wise and not get the full resonance. Another issue that can happen is if the dampers aren't lifting high enough, so they still have slight contact with the strings.

Time to call the piano tech! wink

Yup, I hope no digitals try to reproduce that. Though that is my biggest "complaint" with digitals these days - they often sound too good!
I agree, the way VSTs are working now you can make some great sounds with digital pianos. However, I think they have a long way to go to emulate the feel and the sound for the pianist. Something about the acoustic vibrations coming from the instrument you are playing that makes it come alive.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
TheodorN #2082431 05/14/13 12:21 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've been trying to slowly add the pedal to the new stuff that I am learning. Sometimes the pedal works great; especially if I sustain a few notes. But when I use the pedal in the middle of a song with left hand chords, it does not sound good at all. First, it is mushy, and second the overall sound seems out of place. I hope you know what I mean by this. I am using a digital piano and do not have an acoustic available for comparison. Clearly the lack of experience has alot to it; but I keep wondering if I have a setting wrong somewhere. I keep working at it.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
scorpio #2082435 05/14/13 12:28 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by scorpio
I've been trying to slowly add the pedal to the new stuff that I am learning. Sometimes the pedal works great; especially if I sustain a few notes. But when I use the pedal in the middle of a song with left hand chords, it does not sound good at all. First, it is mushy, and second the overall sound seems out of place. I hope you know what I mean by this. I am using a digital piano and do not have an acoustic available for comparison. Clearly the lack of experience has alot to it; but I keep wondering if I have a setting wrong somewhere. I keep working at it.

Pedalling the harmony but keeping the melody clear is one of the big challenges. Whether your digital can reproduce enough might be an issue. What we usually do is employ half-pedal (which, despite it's name, is a fancy way of saying more or less pedal.) In practice pressing the pedal less than full value tends to allow the lower notes to continue sustaining without blurring the melody so much.

It could also be that you are pedalling at the wrong points in the left hand. Generally on the change of any significant harmony, when not explicitly marked in the score. As you get more advanced you can employ ideas such as fluttering where your pedal coincides with the new chord in such a way that you have the momentary overlap needed for legato but release the "old chord" quick enough it doesn't blur.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission