Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
150 registered (Alexander Borro, accordeur, Anita Potter, ajames, 43 invisible), 1745 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2082480 - 05/14/13 02:09 PM ROAD TO GLORY!!!
King Cole Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Now I've refrained from asking questions on here because it's usually attacked, questioned, undermined, belittled, scoffed at and/or worst of all pitied but looking at some recent posts I have some newfound hope.

Now as a young adult I really have no idea how I got so good at trumpet, I had three teachers and we went through a bunch of books when I was young then performances, recitals, played with orchestras and then made 4th chair all-eastern. Most of my progress was just a blur to me I remember just being forced to practice, practice, practice by a strict father and indeed this is probably why most of us who reach a such high level don't do a good job of describing to others the path to playing at a high level. I've heard many people say that the best way to build technique is through effective repertoire. LETS ASSUME THAT'S TRUE... My teacher started me on the Bach 2-part inventions and I've read how they are incredibly useful in building technique.

If you had a student that had the necessary talent *rolls eyes* to one day play Rach's concerto No. 3, what would be the repertoire you would prescribe to get to that point. Obviously it would take years but lets say you started at Bach's inventions. Would you go through all his inventions? What would be next? What would you say are the most useful pieces in building technique from to beginner to advanced?

Please if I have made an error in describing a particular thing don't reduce this topic to a boxing ring for semantics. Just look at the spirit of the question however naive or mis-worded you think it is!!

Edited by King Cole (05/14/13 04:06 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2082498 - 05/14/13 02:55 PM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
mermilylumpkin Offline

It's a bit hard to prescribe the whole body of work you'd need to work through to achieve perfect technique, isn't it?

If it's really just for "what the heck" purposes, it probably wouldn't hurt to work through the Well Tempered Clavier I and II, Hanon and the early Beethoven sonatas. It probably depends how much time you have on your hands, doesn't it?

#2082501 - 05/14/13 03:14 PM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Most of my progress was just a blur to me I remember just being forced to practice, practice, practice by a strict father and indeed this is probably why most of us who reach a such high level don't do a good job of describing to others the path to playing at a high level.

Quote:
Also if you haven't reached that level of playing, I don't see how you'd be the best person to offer advice for this question but I know that won't stop many people

In short, you are not going to take any advice, since:
* the people that can reach that level don't do a good job describing what it takes,
* you are not going to take advice from the people that can not reach that level

Quote:
Now I've refrained from asking questions on here because it's usually attacked, questioned, undermined, belittled, scoffed at and/or worst of all pitied but looking at some recent posts I have some newfound hope.

In your question you ask you already undermine everyone that might consider answering.

I think you should lift some restrictions on the answer

Edited by wouter79 (05/14/13 03:15 PM)

#2082503 - 05/14/13 03:17 PM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
Ian_G Offline

Loc: Germany
Yes, both of the good books from Bach (each P&F transposed through the keys) and the complete Liszt technical exercises would be good.

#2082506 - 05/14/13 03:21 PM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
The basics, for me, from the level of Bach Inventions to where I am now has been something like this:

Bach invention no 6 in dm
Clair de Lune
Chopin 34 no 2
Chopin prelude in e major, c minor, Ebminor, and g major
Mozart sonata k283 in G (1st and 3rd movement)
And right about this point took a year and a half off.

Since I have returned to classical piano, i have done this rep:
Bach inventions 13&14
Haydn sonata no 38 in f major mvt 1
Chopin opus 55 no 1
Beethoven opus 10 no 3 mvt 2, learned 1 later
Chopin opus 25 no 2
Bach WTC I no 6 in dm
Beethoven 27 no. 1 in eb
Chopin 10 no 4 & 25 no 1
Rachmaninoff opus 32 no 10 in Bm
And I am currently doing continued work on the last 6 pieces of the list over summer to learn them in more detail and confidence. I'm also adding Liszt's Petrarch Sonnet 104 to my rep. I plan to do the rest of the sonnets and Liszt's jeux d'eau within the next year, along with more Rachmaninoff, Bach, and chopin etudes.

Also, during all of the above work, constant practice of scales and arpeggios was crucial. Don't forget those.

I imagine, to continue this path, if my goal was Rach 3 I would pick up another, larger scale Beethoven sonata and play more bach WTC. I would also begin more rachmaninoff preludes and etudes, so I can learn the ways rachmaninoff develops his ideas and the piano textures he uses. I would also like to play a concerto or two at lest before going to the Rach, so let's say I play the Grieg and beethoven no 3. I would also want to have something large and virtuosic in my rep, so let's say I learn the Liszt Ballade no 2 and Chopin ballade no 1.

And then....if I mastered all of that....who know of I'd really be ready. There could still be some lacking in my knowledge of theory or in my scales or arpeggios or my rhythmic sense. All those have to be pretty flawless to convincingly play Rach 3.

Don't ask why i gave such a detailed response. I guess I find discussions on "path" somewhat fun. And I'm bored on a summer day...not practicing piano for some reason.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#2082507 - 05/14/13 03:34 PM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU!!!

#2082520 - 05/14/13 03:45 PM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: King Cole

I find this a most off-putting way of starting a thread; you already, some hope notwithstanding, may have alienated some otherwise willing posters on this thread.

[...]If you had a student that had the necessary talent *rolls eyes* to one day play Rach's concerto No. 3, what would be the repertoire you would prescribe to get to that point. [...]

How would a teacher know, unless a student is already well-advanced both technically and musically, whether that student is "one day [capable of] play[ing] Rach's concerto No. 3"?

The answer to your question lies in determining reasonable mile-posts along the student's way. Since
[I] haven't reached that level of playing, I don't see how [I]d be the best person to offer advice for this question but I know that won't stop many people
I guess that has to stop me.

Regards,

#2082521 - 05/14/13 03:46 PM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Bruce: see PM. smile

Polyphonist

#2082544 - 05/14/13 04:28 PM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
King Cole Offline

I can't win but thanks TrueMusic

#2082549 - 05/14/13 04:39 PM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
To quote the professor from Shine:

"Your hands must form the unbreakable habit... of playing the notes so that you can forget all about them."

#2083199 - 05/15/13 04:26 PM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
hujidong Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Every piece has it's own technical challenges/intervals/hand shapes to contribute, learn whatever you want smile

#2083309 - 05/15/13 08:50 PM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
Quaver Pyjama Offline

Now as a young adult I really have no idea how I got so good at trumpet, I had three teachers and we went through a bunch of books when I was young then performances, recitals, played with orchestras and then made 4th chair all-eastern. Most of my progress was just a blur to me I remember just being forced to practice, practice, practice by a strict father and indeed this is probably why most of us who reach a such high level don't do a good job of describing to others the path to playing at a high level. I've heard many people say that the best way to build technique is through effective repertoire. LETS ASSUME THAT'S TRUE... My teacher started me on the Bach 2-part inventions and I've read how they are incredibly useful in building technique.

If you had a student that had the necessary talent *rolls eyes* to one day play Rach's concerto No. 3, what would be the repertoire you would prescribe to get to that point. Obviously it would take years but lets say you started at Bach's inventions. Would you go through all his inventions? What would be next? What would you say are the most useful pieces in building technique from to beginner to advanced?

Please if I have made an error in describing a particular thing don't reduce this topic to a boxing ring for semantics. Just look at the spirit of the question however naive or mis-worded you think it is!!

Six Inventions
Four Sinfonias
Six Moszkowski etudes
Eight preludes & fugues from WTC
Three Mozart Sonatas
One early and two middle Beethoven sonatas
Two Chopin Nocturnes and one scherzo
Six Chopin Etudes
Six Rachmaninov Etudes

The list isn't perfect but if you complete it properly you should be able to successfully prepare the concerto.
The main dificulty will be to play the Mozart Sonata and the Nocturnes with necessary expression. If you play them beautifully, and if the Bach fugues are studied and played with proper care in relation to the value of each individual voices, and also presuming you have the rest of the list completely mastered, you are capable of beginning such a great adventure as the Rach 3...

#2085003 - 05/19/13 12:50 AM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
King Cole Offline

Originally Posted By: Quaver Pyjama

Six Inventions
Four Sinfonias
Six Moszkowski etudes
Eight preludes & fugues from WTC
Three Mozart Sonatas
One early and two middle Beethoven sonatas
Two Chopin Nocturnes and one scherzo
Six Chopin Etudes
Six Rachmaninov Etudes

The list isn't perfect but if you complete it properly you should be able to successfully prepare the concerto.
The main dificulty will be to play the Mozart Sonata and the Nocturnes with necessary expression. If you play them beautifully, and if the Bach fugues are studied and played with proper care in relation to the value of each individual voices, and also presuming you have the rest of the list completely mastered, you are capable of beginning such a great adventure as the Rach 3...

Wow thank you for a real and decent way to answer my question. It definitely helps me set goals in my head. Very interesting selections.

#2085568 - 05/20/13 04:48 AM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

LOL

#2086623 - 05/22/13 07:47 AM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Some, nay, most pianists don't even reach that R.3-level, how hard they work, that dear King Cole is a matter of devotion/talent/disposition and a lot more. There is no recipe, and: the way to heck is paved with good intentions (and pianists).

Mussorgski tableaux d'une exposition/Ravel miroirs

#2086681 - 05/22/13 09:41 AM Re: ROAD TO GLORY!!! [Re: King Cole]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Pieces teach technique?

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CP50 noisy key...
by G. Bonner
40 minutes 17 seconds ago
Partial versus Full Regulation
by MusicMagellan
47 minutes 55 seconds ago
Knabe WG48 Opinions?
by stevetothink
Today at 10:58 AM
More instruments via MIDI?
by badbob001
Today at 10:42 AM
Xmas present
by Jytte
Today at 09:29 AM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160054 Topics
2350505 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission