Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2082370 - 05/14/13 10:48 AM Questions about Casio Celvianos...
bgrubb Offline

We've been shopping for a Digital piano for our daughter. She plays Clavinovas at school & lessons and loves them, but they are way out of our price range.

We've been looking at the PX-850 and the Celviano line on the web... reading all of the reviews (good and bad) and reading tons of threads around here. The AP-650 seems like a poor man's Clavinova. Overall quality and sound not up to snuff with the Yamaha's, But I know my daughter will enjoy all of the bells & whistles that she would not otherwise get on another sub $1500 DP. The problem is that there are no dealers anywhere near us that actually have the Casios on their floor and I hate to buy anything I can't try first...

The closest thing I could find was a PX-350 at GuitarCenter (the only Casio dealer in our area). We were fine with the overall keyboard action and thought it played fine, so we're comfortable with the overall play and sound of the Casios. However, I couldn't get past the keys themselves... I am not a fan of the fake woodgrain & texture on the keys. It just looked cheap and plastic like... we much preferred the smooth matte keys on the Yamaha P-105 keyboard.

We established that the PX-850 has the exact same keys as the PX-350, but they couldn't tell us anything about the Celvianos. Do the AP-450 & AP-650 share the same textured keys as a PX-350? How about the AP-620? Those things are all over the web right now for $1000...

Thanks all!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2082384 - 05/14/13 11:11 AM Re: Questions about Casio Celvianos... [Re: bgrubb]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Whole x50 range same keys (and finish) ; although this same keybed may have a different feel in a different cabinet. My experience is that it feels more firm and stable in the PX850 than the PX150.

I wouldn't care too much about the 'fake' ivory look of the keys , but purely concentrate on how they feel. I think the current Casio keys are pretty good overall and certainly better than in the x20 series.

The only thing I 'worry' about a bit is how long they stay that way in comparison to the more expensive and heavier Yamaha, Roland, Kawai keybeds . Meaning how well will they still function after a longer period of intensive use, or will they develop small or larger annoyances , like sideway moving keys, gaps between keys, clicking keys etc. After all the keybed design is focussed on being very lightweight , so how sturdy and strong is it and can it cope with continuos (ab)use...

To conclude : sound wise and keybed wise the x20 is a step back from the current x50 series. I wouldn't advise such a move.

#2082492 - 05/14/13 02:44 PM Re: Questions about Casio Celvianos... [Re: JFP]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Quote:

I wouldn't care too much about the 'fake' ivory look of the keys , but purely concentrate on how they feel. I think the current Casio keys are pretty good overall and certainly better than in the x20 series.

+1.

It'll take about 5 minutes to get used to the textured keytops. After 5 months, mine still look clean.

If you're constrained by budget, the PX-350 (or its console cousins) are hard to beat. I saw a comment, here, that the PX-850 costs about as much as a PX-350 with triple pedal and "furniture" stand. Which makes it a very good deal.

. Charles

#2082540 - 05/14/13 04:21 PM Re: Questions about Casio Celvianos... [Re: bgrubb]
bgrubb Offline

Yes, we will definitely be considering the PX-850. My wife, much prefers the Celviano simply because its cabnitery will look better in our dining room. The textured keys bother me more than they will my daughter, and she's the one that will be playing it... I guess I can get used to it...

JFP (or anyone else for that matter...) can you elaborate on the AP-620 being a "step back"? I know that there are some sound engine differences between the x20 and the x50, but is the x50 keyboard/action itself that much of an upgrade over the x20?

I am having a ridiculously hard time finding AP-650 anywhere near Central Illinois, but I can get a AP-620 from Costco or Guitar Center, where I can always return if we're not happy with it. I'm thinking of rolling the dice with the AP-620 or the PX-850 as both are right around $1000.

#2082598 - 05/14/13 06:08 PM Re: Questions about Casio Celvianos... [Re: bgrubb]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
I wouldn't say that the AP-650 blows the AP-620 away by any stretch of the imagination. The 650 replaces the 620 and adds more nice features like the lid simulator, string resonance, improved action, and longer sustain of the piano sample. Casio did resample the acoustic piano sound, but it used the same piano so the sound isn't radically different. I think you will find the other instrument sounds, rhythms, and accompaniment to be the same as on the 620. The ivory coated keys are different on the 620 without the heavier texture. As far as the overall touch, I doubt they are that much different. I haven't spent a lot of time playing the PX-X50 series yet, but I thought they feel similar. Keep in mind, you'll get a 3 year warranty on either piano if you register your product on the Casio website. Looks like Casio is trying to sell the Celviano through a dealer network, but it doesn't appear they are widely available for purchase at this time.

#2082659 - 05/14/13 08:26 PM Re: Questions about Casio Celvianos... [Re: bgrubb]
PianoWorksATL Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
The clearance pricing on the AP-620's are phenomenal while they last. But yes the AP-650 is a large step up. Side by side, the action is the biggest difference IMO. The more heavily textured keys isn't important to me but the action is...and it is better. The piano sounds are more defined which is to say if you like the sounds on the AP-620, you would probably like the 650 more.

Casio previously set up dealer locator tools to help customers. So long as the previous Celviano models are available, those locator tools cannot distinguish between the dealers for new and the larger network of MI dealers for the previous models. In time, I hope they can make that distinction. I'm almost out of 620's, but since the x50's arrived, I don't think I've only sold any 620's and only one 420 despite the price difference. When they choose Celviano, everyone chooses the new models.

We've recently reduced our in-store price to rock bottom in hopes of clearing them out, but we're not Amazon.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Break Free" by Ariana Grande on Piano
by Zach Evans
14 minutes 3 seconds ago
V-Grand delivery on Friday!
by TonyB
14 minutes 36 seconds ago
Kawai CE220 CA65 cabinet vibrations
by origen
Today at 04:43 PM
Baldwin 243 for Grade 4 students - Advice please!
by LeslieG
Today at 04:39 PM
Exorcist movie main theme
by Danijelcro
Today at 12:03 PM
Who's Online
148 registered (A Guy, accordeur, 36251, 45 invisible), 1431 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76297 Members
42 Forums
157714 Topics
2316610 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission