Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2082692 - 05/14/13 09:41 PM Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 30th quarterly AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #30 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Zip 1
Zip 2
Zip 3
Zip 4
Zip 5
Zip 6
Zip 7
Zip 8
Zip 9

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

AB Forum Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2082699 - 05/14/13 09:46 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Jazzwee
Experience:8.5 (both Piano and Jazz)
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Night in Tunisia
Composer:Dizzy Gillespie
Duration:07:53
Source of music:Lead Sheet Real Book - Improvised
Instrument used:Nord Piano 88 Bright Grand/S4 sample
Recording method:Zoom H4 Recorded Live
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:This is from an actual gig recorded 4/28/13. Piano solo is after the Sax solo. Being live, it's pretty full of mistakes. Also there must have been 150 people in the audience that came to listen. Still this seemed easier than a red dot. smile

#2082700 - 05/14/13 09:47 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:jotur/Cathy Turner
Experience:2 years of lessons in my early teens, 30+ years off, playing for dancing since 1995
Title of piece:G.I. Jive
Composer:Johnny Mercer
Duration:04:54
Source of music:Original sheet music
Instrument used:Casio PX-100 (Hi, Rocky!)
Recording method:digital to PC, audacity
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:I lucked out - Cinnamonbear/Andy from PW was cleaning out his sheet music and sent me some of his duplicates, and this was one of them - it's from 1943. I love it, and the seniors I play for love it. Thank you, Andy!

I only messed up the turn around and the ending laugh That's what I like about live performance vs. recording - in a live performance I laugh when I make mistakes, which you can't tell on a recording frown But mostly they're pretty funny. One of the seniors this week told me it was like a Sunday afternoon playing music in the neighborhood. Exactly the kind of music I like.

And I remembered to have lunch this time! I had a tuna salad with green beans and hard-boiled eggs and tomatoes and olives and carrots and onion. Yum.

#2082701 - 05/14/13 09:47 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:3.5 years
Title of piece:Prelude, Op.32 No.12
Composer:Sergei Vasilievich Rachmaninoff
Duration:03:00
Source of music:memorized sheet music.
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk
Additional info:Rachmaninoff wrote this prelude august 23, 1910 , as the 12th in a set of 13 preludes. In this period, he had just made his first - and very succesfull - tour in the US. his home country Russia was destabilizing rapidly and world war I was taking shape.
Here is my modest first attempt at Rachmaninoff. My teacher thought I was ready for it but I still doubt it given the amount of effort it took. I believe I got down the overall character and the speed is ok, overall I'm quite happy with this. But it's not as clean as I would like, and I have to play a few bars halfway the piece slower than I want because I can't get them reliable at the speed I want.

This piece has been haunting me since long before I started playing piano. Maybe it's even one of the reasons that I start playing piano. To me, the piece seems about rushing knowingly towards nowhere. The fast arpeggio shapes in the background are pointing to time passing rapidly. Many short events/phrases are repeated a few times , chromatically sliding down. A lot happens in the just less than 3 minutes. If you're reading this while listening, I recommend to just stop and listen only. In spite of all modulation attempts to change the flow, we can not break free from the solid G# minor and we end with time running out apparently just with what we started...

It took me months to get it to this level. First two months for getting the notes down, and then a few more to get the speed, dynamics, phrasing, voicing etc tuned, and to keep it reasonably without errors. One particularly tough element of this piece is that a 'slow' melody is placed on top of a fast arpeggio-like figure rambling in the other hand and often just above the melody. To bring out the melody one has to play it well louder than the fast arpeggios. Yet the melody has to be mf or even softer. And the two hands frequently swap in function. On top of that, you have to add bigger phrasings with their own (de)crescendos and speedups/downs.

In fact I had a recording of this piece already with the previous recital. But I kept working on it. Beginning of april my piano was tuned and I made another recording. However I did not really like the octave stretch in the top register, which made the final notes a bit awkward (though it sounds fine on the recording). And I felt that the piece could use a little more breathing. So a week before the recital my piano was tuned again and I recorded again. Took me two days to get it back o roughly the previous recording level, as I had not seriously played it for a few weeks.

Just to answer the traditional remark here: for dinner I had paprica with curry sauce and rice.

#2082703 - 05/14/13 09:48 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:ladypayne
Experience:forgot
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vni1bilWdHk&list=UUpam4VQFISGJYmRx5gjmJHQ&index=1
Title of piece:Chim Chim Cheree
Composer:Robert B Sherman and Richard M Sherman
Duration:01:44
Source of music:used a lead sheet music
Instrument used:keyboard
Recording method:zoom h1
Additional info:my own arrangement. I used a lead sheet from my Disney Fake book. Enjoy!

#2082704 - 05/14/13 09:49 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Saranoya
Experience:On and off for a little under two years in my childhood and adolescense -- Adult restarter as of September 2012
Title of piece:Piano Sonata 14 - Adagio Sostenuto (a.k.a. Moonlight Sonata - first movement)
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:05:59
Source of music:The Joy of Easy Repertoire
Instrument used:Boston GP 156
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:My life has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster, lately. And had the call for submissions come one week earlier, I would have written here a long and winding story about some of the reasons for that, and about how, over the past four months, all of those reasons somehow got wrapped up in the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata. As it is, though, I'll just say this: a friend of mine recently lost her mother. I found myself thinking about that as I made this recording last Saturday, on my then freshly-tuned piano. And suddenly, all of *my* personal drama just seemed silly.

Were I the kind of person who could bring herself to believe in an afterlife, I'd say that this performance is for Marleen. Like many here, she was an adult beginner on the piano and, like many here, she had the ambition of learning to play this piece 'some day'. Since I don't believe in the afterlife, I know that 'some day' will never come for her now; and that she can't even hear me play in her honor anymore. But her death has reminded me that, while life can be a struggle sometimes, we should strive to make the best of every single day we have. Because every new day might be the final one.

And so, I am grateful to be here. I'm grateful to be one of those who's had the opportunity to turn the dream of 'some day' playing this piece into a reality. I've played it at least 150 times (probably more) since the end of December 2012. I am not kidding. And as you will hear, it still isn't perfect -- far from it. But it is me, playing one of my 'bucket list' pieces.

So thank you. Thank you for giving me a place to share that with the world. And thank you for listening.

#2082705 - 05/14/13 09:49 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:dannylux / Mel
Experience:7 years after returning.
Title of piece:Elgar: Salut d'Amour
Composer:Edward Elgar
Duration:03:48
Source of music:IMSLP
Instrument used:Yamaha P140
Recording method:Piano line-out to computer sound card line-in. Audacity. No edits.
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:English composer Sir Edward Elgar (1857-1934) wrote Salut d'Amour (Love's Greeting) in 1888 as an engagement gift for his fiancee. A year later it would become his first published composition.

This charming and lovely little piece is in ABA form; first theme in E major, second theme in G major, and a return to the first theme in E. After a big climax, the piece drifts away to a pianissimo ending.

Hope you like it.

#2082706 - 05/14/13 09:50 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Jake S
Experience:1.25 years
Title of piece:Moonlight Sonata 1st Mvt (Op. 27 No.2)
Composer:Ludwig van Beethoven
Duration:06:10
Source of music:Sheet music (memorised)
Instrument used:Kawai CA93
Recording method:Digital piano
Additional info:The appellation "Moonlight" was coined 30 years after the music was composed, when a German music critic (Rellstab)likened the piece to moonlight glistening on Lake Lucerne in Switzerland. Many people consider this a misnomer given the dark, brooding nature of the first movement (and the fiery pyrotechnics of the third).

This is undoubtably one of the most recognisable pieces in classical music, but I never tire of listening to it.

Oh, and lunch was a salad.

#2082707 - 05/14/13 09:50 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:CarlosCC
Experience:3 years 22 weeks (self-learning since Dec2009)
Title of piece:Joana's Secrets
Composer:CarlosCC
Duration:06:41
Source of music:Me smile Played by memory (no sheet music - yet)
Instrument used:Yamaha P85 (Grand Piano 2)
Recording method:Captured from Piano to PC with Audicity, then saved to MP3.
Additional info:I had no intention to create this piece, but the melody appeared and then it was a matter of playing around it. My daughter helped deciding some of the hypothesis for the arrangement and, although I was a bit undecided, she insisted to share this version with you.
After the experience of doing the extension of "Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca.)" - ABF Recital #28 -, I can consider this is my first original, completed, recorded and shared piece.

Again, I have to warn that I have not had any concern with composition rules, music theory or something more rigorous. I was just playing freely, moving forward, making errors, and having fun.

#2082709 - 05/14/13 09:51 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:5th year restarter
Title of piece:PS, I Made This ...
Composer:Norton, Christopher
Duration:03:42
Source of music:"Dances of Our Time" collection by Schott Music Publisher. This is the Petrushka Project
Instrument used:1927 Bechstein Model L
Additional info:This is something completely different, at least for me. A 21st century composition by Christopher Norton, one of the pieces from the "Dances of Our Time" collection called the Petrushka Project from Schott Music Publishers.

Here's what the composer has to say:
"The main rhythmic idea for this sprung from hearing a Hawaiian guitar piece - it set me off on an upbeat, sunny tangent that developed into an extrovert composition with French overtones (think Poulenc's Les Biches gone a bit Latin jazz). It's all very good-natured, almost silly and ends with a crazy accelerando and a big gliss. There are various whimsical key changes and even some imitative work, but it is mostly just designed to put a smile on the face of the performer (and listener), to be a divertissement." (Christopher Norton, May 2012)

The challenges to play this, for me, were all the key changes (4 of them in such a short piece) and the need for very independent hands. The syncopated rhythm was not so bad after I got the hang of it. I made lots of errors here and there, but since you've never heard this before, who can tell?

Seriously, if you want to hear a correct, professional recording, then visit here.

#2082711 - 05/14/13 09:51 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:40 years with a few years of lessons.
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdjx0YXQfsY
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Message From Space: A Sad Passing
Composer:Original
Duration:05:11
Instrument used:Young Chang Pramberger grand
Recording method:Metro
Additional info:This is the third installment of my epic Message From Space. Our visitor has received sad news from very far away. A helpless sadness prevails. I was going to call it "Funeral" but my wife thought it was not really a funeral piece. I have to mention that although I did tune the piano before recording I have this blasted deafness that keeps coming and going and I didn't realize that some notes were not right until later while listening with headphones.

#2082714 - 05/14/13 09:54 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Andy Platt
Experience:Three years of lessons and noodling prior to that.
Title of piece:Nocturne in Eb Major, Opus 9. No 2
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:03:51
Source of music:Henle Urtext Edition of Chopin Nocturnes
Instrument used:Kawai K3
Recording method:H1
Additional info:I had more "reasonable" takes of this piece than must I've submitted. Of course, it's not perfect - what is? But it's a good representation of where I got the piece too. I have loved this Nocturne from long before I started lessons. I remember it being a goal of mine to play this piece and, with my teacher's encouragement , I held off learning it for quite a while. I'm glad I did because the technical aspects of the piece were much easier because of that. Musically this piece would take a lifetime and I'm only just scratching the surface.

I have two observations on this recording. The first is that the first bass note in each measure is not brought out clearly enough. The second is that the ending three measures are played too quickly. I fixed both of those in a subsequent recording but when I listened back, that other was just too dry and uninteresting and chose this one.

#2082715 - 05/14/13 09:54 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:About four years of lessons, split between the 1950s and the 2000s. Noodling and playing by ear all my life.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:African Flower
Composer:Ellington
Duration:03:41
Source of music:Lead Sheet
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Recording method:Pianoteq
Additional info:This is a haunting tune that was originally written for an Ellington recording session with that bad boy of jazz, Charles Mingus. It has also been recorded by other Ellington groups, as a solo piece by the Duke himself, and by pianist Michel Petrucciani. This is my arrangement, playing from the lead sheet, "with liberties", as they say.

#2082716 - 05/14/13 09:55 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:Almost 9 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/tyRp0vY7dNg
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:Two Trees
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:05:51
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:mp3 file: Zoom H4, normalized with audacity
YouTube video: Zoom Q3HD
Additional info:This is my favorite piece from Einaudi's latest album, "In a time lapse." It is one of the more quiet and contemplative pieces on the album, reminiscent in many ways of "I due fiumi," one of my other favorites. It's not a piece you can rush through; there are many many places where notes are held for 4-8 seconds. I recorded the video two weeks after I submitted the mp3; I think it's slightly better than the audio recording, but not enough of an improvement to make me want to resubmit and lose my place in the queue.

Lunch was leftover white bean and quinoa soup.

#2082717 - 05/14/13 09:55 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Ganddalf
Experience:46 years
Title of piece:Rustle of Spring
Composer:Christian Sinding
Duration:02:50
Source of music:Sheet music Peters Edition
Instrument used:Yamaha Avant Grand N1
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:I was a bit uncertain if I should participate this time since there were some discussions about experienced players intimidating beginners etc. I hope,indeed, that I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by submitting this piece.

My agenda is sharing with you music I like to play myself. I'm a simple amateur without any musical education and nearly no piano lessons during the many years I have been playing. A critical listener will discover many typical amateur's shortcomings in my playing.

I like to select pieces that are not so frequently played, just because I want to share with you some of the hidden musical treasures.

This time I play a piece by a Norwegian composer. Most people familiar with classical music know Grieg, but Sinding seems to be almost forgotten today. This composition, "Rustle of Spring" used to be one of the most frequently played pieces in the world. But that is long ago, and now nearly nobody plays it. It is a musical "painting" of the Norwegian spring with small creeks flowing together into rivers, forming rustling waterfalls and flowing into the fjords where tha apple trees are blooming at the same time as snow still covers the mountain tops.

I hope you enjoy it.

#2082718 - 05/14/13 09:56 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:(Was)TrueBeginner
Experience:4.5
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivPclAajNwo
Title of piece:Momma
Duration:03:31
Source of music:Self Composition
Instrument used:Essex Upright
Recording method:I recorded using Flip camera. I extracted the audio using SuperOne
Additional info:This one is dedicated for my mother. Seeing her strength is going away little by little everyday breaks my heart. With Mother Day coming up, Happy Mother Day to all the mothers.

#2082719 - 05/14/13 09:56 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Allard
Experience:1 year 6 months
Video link:http://youtu.be/sHbzWhDqYpU
Title of piece:Cristofori's Dream
Composer:David Lanz
Duration:05:57
Source of music:"Solos for New Age Piano" sheet music book
Instrument used:MP3: Yamaha P-95
YouTube: Perzina 152 Grand
Recording method:MP3: digital to PC with UGM96 interface, Audacity
YouTube: iPad with iMovie.
Additional info:Please watch the video, if you can!

A while ago, I learned some 'easy' arrangements of David Lanz's music, including Cristofori's Dream. I had already worked on the original before and knew I wanted to learn the complete score eventually. A year later, I'm ready for it!

~ish

I've been practising exclusively on my baby grand, and 'downgrading' to the digital, while necessary due to technical issues, was unsettling. The mp3 actually consists of two takes; I'm sorry that the transition may be noticeable.

However, I heartily recommend watching or at least listening to the video on YouTube! The baby grand is a bit out of tune and some of the dampers aren't working properly, but the sound is still so much more beautiful than on the digital. Also, I made fewer mistakes.

Lunch was bread, eating together with my colleagues by the forest edge, enjoying the sunlight.

#2082723 - 05/14/13 09:56 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Inlanding - Glen
Experience:Off and on for years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLkT2lk-8_8
Title of piece:Icy Patch
Duration:00:48
Source of music:Improvisation
Instrument used:NY 1917 O
Recording method:Imovie
Additional info:Due to a nagging injury, it's not been possible for me to practice for quite some time, but I do manage to sit down to play something once and awhile. I had been experimenting with emulating variety of styles/techniques when I do play and came up with this one. Icy Patch is a stride-type tune, albeit a bit short. I look forward to being able to practice again, soon.

For lunch, it was a very nicely piece of baked salmon and assorted grilled vegetables.

#2082724 - 05/14/13 09:57 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:sinophilia
Experience:1 year 2 months
Title of piece:So in Love
Composer:Cole Porter
Duration:02:24
Source of music:sheet music, arranged by Dan Coates
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX-135
Recording method:digital to Mac
Additional info:I started learning this song in February, thinking I had plenty of time to digest all of its 5 pages, but I was wrong. It took me ages to get the grasp of it, but I didn't want to give up completely so I cut out a section. Two minutes and a half is already too much for me to record, my hands are invariably trembling as I reach the last measures! Will have to work on this. And the double notes not sounding at the same time, and the uneven tempo, and lots of other things...

I honestly tried to get better recordings than this one but I was just messing up more and more, so here it is. Don't feel like you have to say nice things, I welcome all kinds of comments and advice.

Although there are upbeat versions of this song, the tempo is marked as "slowly, with passion", and the version I had in mind is the one recorded by k.d.lang's for the Red Hot + Blue compilation back in 1990. Hope you don't fall asleep while you listen to it laugh

#2082725 - 05/14/13 09:57 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:earlofmar
Experience:5 and a half months
Title of piece:Bach Prelude No 1 C Major
Composer:Bach
Duration:02:38
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Yamaha P105
Recording method:Digital to PC/TruePianos
Additional info:It's a beautiful piece and I don't think I have done it justice, but it was a great confidence builder to get it to this point......it can only get better. When I walk around the piano shop and tinker with the expensive pianos at least I will have some thing classy, or is the equivalent of playing Smoke on the Water in a guitar shop.

#2082726 - 05/14/13 09:57 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Allan W.
Experience:Used to take lessons as a child 10+ years ago. Recently started to play again for about a year.
Title of piece:Shevat, the Wind is Calling
Composer:Zohar; Mitsuda
Duration:03:02
Source of music:OST from Xenogears, 1998 by Yasunori Mitsuda. Arrangement by zohar002.

Sheet music: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ru9pnj1oncgwn2d/shevat_the_wind_is_calling.pdf

Best version on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl-AXPwGSvM
Instrument used:Kawai MP-10
Recording method:Ivory American Concert D
Additional info:This is my favorite piece, been learning it about a month now.

#2082727 - 05/14/13 09:58 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:dynamobt / Marilyn Burris
Experience:About 10 total off and on
Title of piece:Grande Valse Brilliante in A minor Op 34 no 2
Composer:Frederick Chopin
Duration:07:01
Source of music:Dover Editions Waltzes and Scherzos
Instrument used:1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
Recording method:Zoom H2n
Additional info:Still too slow. But, I'm getting it there.

#2082728 - 05/14/13 09:58 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:PikaPianist
Video link:http://youtu.be/ZfIpJqNHoz8
Title of piece:Consolation No. 3, S. 172
Composer:Liszt
Duration:03:40
Instrument used:Kawai CS6 Digital Piano
Additional info:This is my first Liszt piece. So sweet and soothing!

#2082729 - 05/14/13 09:59 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Mohan Karthik
Experience:3 years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k-SyMGX6Y4
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/nemesisnitt
Title of piece:Greensleeves (Arr: David Nevue)
Composer:Traditional
Duration:03:32
Source of music:Sheet music (http://www.davidnevue.com/sheetmusic.htm)
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-430
Recording method:Wav recording on piano and converted using audacity
Additional info:I had super spicy curry. :)Wonderful to be back in Piano Forums after a really long time.

#2082730 - 05/14/13 09:59 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:anthonyb
Experience:With all the time off/on lately I have no clue where I actually stand here. smile
Title of piece:Discovery at Night
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:04:12
Source of music:In a Time Lapse sheet music book
Instrument used:Pianoteq v4.5
Additional info:It's been a long time since I've uploaded a piece (let alone posted to these forums publicly) but luckily that doesn't appear to be a requirement to participate in the recital! wink

#2082731 - 05/14/13 10:00 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:kenjazz (Ken)
Experience:Around 5
Home page link:http://kenblog05.blogspot.com
Title of piece:See See Rider
Composer:Ma Rainey
Duration:05:41
Source of music:Fake sheet and sheet music that weren't very useful. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the arrangement used by Tommy Flanagan on his Sea Changes record. A reverse engineering tool by BIAB was somewhat useful.
Instrument used:Schimmel 120J Acoustic
Recording method:Audacity, Zoom H2, Band-in-a-Box accompaniment
Additional info:"See See Rider", also known as "C.C. Rider" or "See See Rider Blues" or "Easy Rider" is a popular American 12-bar blues song. It was first recorded by Gertrude "Ma" Rainey in 1924, and since then has been recorded by many other artists. The song uses mostly traditional blues lyrics to tell the story of an unfaithful lover, commonly called easy riders: "See See rider, see what you have done," making a play on the word see and the sound of easy.

My inspiration for this attempt at See See Rider was the late, great Tommy Flanagan. Recently I realized that after all of this time taking lessons, I've never played a basic 12-bar major blues. That probably explains a lot :-(

When I think of playing the blues on piano though, I don't think of playing blues piano. That sounds like a dumb statement. What I mean by that is: Blues piano is separate art form. If you look at instructional videos on the internet, or listen to players in a blues band, you see that the approach to playing is a style all its own.

When I think of how I would love to sound playing the blues, I think of Tommy Flanagan. Tommy played in a very bluesy style, and you could hear the roots influence, but he still brought those clever voicings and jazz quality to the song. One music reviewer described Tommy's blues as "so deep that they are almost purple". I have always loved his rendition of See See Rider, so I tried to steal as much of the arrangement as I could from what he was doing on the recording. See See Rider was on Tommy's final album (1997) titled Sea Changes.

This is a 12 bar blues in C with a number Tommy-esque embellishments in the arrangement. The unaccompanied intro starts with Eb blues, C blues, F blues, C blues. Tommy uses a number of four or 5 chord turnarounds that I've tried to use as well. For instance C-Am-Dm7-G7 right before going into the melody, or C-F7 shell 1- F7 shell 2- Dm7- Am7/G is one that is used often.

You will also hear that some of the chords are changed into a chromatic run starting on Dm7, and other chords are changed into minor ii-Vs. This is all pure Tommy stuff.

I tried to keep a rootsy blues feel to it while doing some of the solos with an eye towards not just the blues/pentatonic/dorian modes but also a little bit of altered scale stuff in there too.

You can see my blog post about this one at http://kenblog05.blogspot.com/2013/05/see-see-rider.html

#2082732 - 05/14/13 10:01 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Ken
Experience:4
Title of piece:2 Part Invention No.14
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:02:13
Instrument used:Milton Spinet
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:Time for something other than Monk for a change smile. I've been practicing this piece for 2 years believe it or not, but still can't get through it without a mistake. Time to move on. I enjoyed the counterpoint aspect of this tune as well as the harmonic progression. I can see why jazz musicians like playing his pieces.

I was reading a biography on the jazz pianist Bill Evans "How my Heart Sings" and there's an excerpt by Warren Bernhardt:

"Bill introduced me to the Bach two- and three part Inventions, which he loved dearly and sight-read almost to perfection. We marveled at their architecture and mathematical purity. He was convinced that the Inventions were the perfect exercises for a pianist, not too difficult, but each one a finger-bender and a gem."

#2082733 - 05/14/13 10:01 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:CASINITALY (Cheryl)
Experience:3.5 years
Title of piece:An Old Romance
Composer:Stephen Heller
Duration:01:35
Instrument used:Yamaha P112N
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:I've just started in the Romantic period, this is my second piece (the first was Schumann's "Melody". I really enjoyed learning this piece, though at first I was quite intimidated by it! I learned about 4-5 new techniques while studying this piece and would encourage other new-ish players to look up Heller. He did a lot of "Studies" for early-intermediate and intermediate players. Lunch was spaghetti alla carbonara smile

#2082734 - 05/14/13 10:02 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Augustina
Experience:1 year or so as a kid, then started up again a few years ago.
Title of piece:Hungary: Rapsodie Mignonne, Opus 410
Composer:Carl Koelling
Duration:04:31
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Piano at work
Recording method:cell phone
Additional info:I decided to take piano lessons at the University I attend. My piano teacher has been working with me on this piece since January.
Challenges for this piece...
1. I've had to practice chromatic scales, and scales a lot!:).. I still have trouble with the "runs"
2. My piano teacher has been trying to get me to add more "character" to the piece. I'm finding that kind of hard as this is not my style of music.
3. Memorization- I have to play it from memory for my final exam
4. rhythm and rushing- As you will probably be able to tell, there are several areas of the piece where I rush, and the rhythm is off.
5. There is an area towards the end where I'm not sure what some of the notes are:)... I really should learn those base clef notes...
6. Overall This was a challenging piece for me, but it was fun, and I think I've learned a lot:)
Hopefully you guys enjoy it!:)

#2082735 - 05/14/13 10:02 PM Re: Recital #30 --- May 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:TrapperJohn
Experience:7 years +
Title of piece:Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (from "Les Miserables")
Composer:Claude-Michel Schonberg (music); Herbert Kretzmer & Alain Boublil (lyrics)
Duration:03:48
Source of music:Les Miserables - Piano/Vocal Selections (updated) from Hal Leonard
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CVP-301
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:Deep into the 2nd Act of that remarkable entertainment phenomenon known affectionately as "Les Mis" the student Marius - having just fallen in love with Cosette (whose picture as a young girl adorns the musical's advertising posters)- joins his rebellious comrades on the barricades in the smoldering streets of Paris for the battle that is soon to explode there against the hardened and overwhelming forces of the oppressive, authoritarian government.

During the ensuing battle Marius is seriously wounded, but is carried off to safety through the sewers underneath the streets by Jean Valjean, his future father-in-law and the musical's chief protagonist, with the intrepid Inspector Javert - surely one of the musical theater's most tragic and yet strangely heroic "villains" - in hot pursuit.

Javert intercepts them, but then decides to allow them to continue their escape because - in one of the musical's many ingenious plot twists - Valjean had just recently saved Javert's life after he had been "outed" by the students as a government spy.

Some time later, while still recovering from his wounds, Marius quietly returns to the ABC Cafe where he and his fellow students had often met and where, during their inflamed discussions, they had "seen a world reborn", and where they had talked of and lit the flame for revolution.

But his friends were all killed on the barricades, and now all he sees here are "phantom faces at the window" and "phantom shadows on the floor" and, most agonizingly, those "empty chairs at empty tables". And it is at this point - overcome with great sorrow and personal loss - that he sings:

There's a grief that can't be spoken.
There's a pain goes on and on.
Empty chairs at empty tables,
Now my friends are dead and gone.

Here they talked of revolution.
Here it was they lit the flame.
Here they sang about tomorrow,
And tomorrow never came.

From the table in the corner
They could see a world reborn.
And they rose with voices ringing.
And I can hear them now,
The very words that they had sung
Became their last communion
On the lonely barricades at dawn.

Oh my friends, my friends forgive me
That I live and you are gone.
There's a grief that can't be spoken,
There's a pain goes on and on.

Phantom faces at the window,
Phantom shadows on the floor.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my fiends will meet no more.

Oh my friends, my friends don't ask me
What your sacrifice was for.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my friends will sing no more.

Here's a marvelous rendition of this hauntingly beautiful song by Michael Ball from the 10th Anniversary Concert version (1995) at the Royal Albert Hall in London (watch this *after* you listen to my performance so I won't sound so bad by comparison!):

Empty Chairs at Empty Tables

Note that the actors who appear on stage behind Michael near the end of the song are his deceased comrades (his "dead friends")...

"Les Miserables" (based loosely on the monumental 19th century novel by Victor Hugo, which is, in paperpack edition, almost 1,500 pages long) is now the world's longest running - and many would say most passionately loved - musical. It is estimated that on a worldwide basis almost 70 million people have seen one of it's numerous live stage productions. It plays to capacity houses almost everywhere, and it is still constantly sold out in London 28 years after it started there in 1985. I suspect that there are fanatics who see it on a monthly or even weekly basis - I'm a piker since I've only seen it 7 times in various places - most recently in April at the famous old Hippodrome Theater in Baltimore - and will see it again early next summer!

Like opera it is a "sung-through" musical (no dialog) and it is filled from beginning to end with beautiful, powerful and emotionally overwhelming music that - again like opera - is very demanding vocally, requiring highly talented and professionally trained singers (which is why the movie version was so disappointing) - if possible you should see a live, stage version - put it on your "bucket list"!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
09/18/14 04:44 PM
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
09/18/14 04:16 PM
Sight reading problems
by pianosNpreschooler
09/18/14 03:23 PM
Hello! I have a question about playing for cocktail parties.
by albumblatter
09/18/14 03:10 PM
Piano Concerto in F, Op. 2 Arensky, Anton
by antony
09/18/14 02:33 PM
Who's Online
124 registered (36251, aesop, anotherscott, accordeur, albumblatter, 3times2, 37 invisible), 1231 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157608 Topics
2315074 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission