Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 93 of 101 < 1 2 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 100 101 >
Topic Options
#2067283 - 04/19/13 06:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
(Warning: Random suggestion; has nothing to do with what's difficult about those measures; some people may disagree very strongly...)

Click to reveal..
Try taking the fourth RH note with the thumb, and then the fifth with the index finger as you have marked.

Polyphonist

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2067298 - 04/19/13 06:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Polyphonist]
gahdzila Offline

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
(Warning: Random suggestion; has nothing to do with what's difficult about those measures; some people may disagree very strongly...)

Click to reveal..
Try taking the fourth RH note with the thumb, and then the fifth with the index finger as you have marked.

Thanks, I'm always appreciative of suggestions. You mean the D#, right? The one that has the TYPED 2 above it, and the handwritten sharp sign because I kept forgetting it? LOL.

Yeah, I don't think your suggestion would work for me. It would confuse me to switch fingers on the same key like that (4th and 5th notes are both D#). That's why I changed it in the first place (because it was confusing to me to switch fingers, and it didn't really seem necessary) - notice the 5th note originally had 3 typed above it and I scribbled it out and changed it to a 2. The only good reason I could see to play that 4th note with the thumb instead of 2 would be if I were having trouble getting all the way back down from the C quickly enough...and I'm not having that problem at all.

Again, thanks for your input!

#2067375 - 04/19/13 10:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
look forward to hearing it then in the recital gahdzilla, will be listening for *THOSE TWO NASTY MEASURES*:

#2070037 - 04/24/13 03:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
just4fun Offline

Loc: Tulsa
Well, I have given myself a pass on Bridal Chorus and Guatanamera,

Looks like Raymond's Overture will be a good study of legato in one hand with staccato in the other.

Funny, but it seems that when i get stuck on a piece, if I leave it for a day or two, it's better when I come back to it.

Anybody else doing Albert's 2?

#2070073 - 04/24/13 04:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: just4fun]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: just4fun
Well, I have given myself a pass on Bridal Chorus and Guatanamera,

Looks like Raymond's Overture will be a good study of legato in one hand with staccato in the other.

Funny, but it seems that when i get stuck on a piece, if I leave it for a day or two, it's better when I come back to it.

Anybody else doing Albert's 2?

It's common to take a break, return and it has sunk in somehow, a good effective way to learn a lot of things. I will often sleep on a problem.

I am on book 2 but currently stuck on Jazz Sequences which starts with two hands playing slightly different ryhthemic melodies - quite tricky.

Raymonds Overture is a really nice piece to listen to. I found it hard as both hands work very close to one another, overlapping at times. However a very rewarding piece to learn. Good luck

Edited by earlofmar (04/24/13 04:39 PM)

#2070226 - 04/24/13 09:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
just4fun Offline

Thanks for the encouraging words, earlofmar.

Is the jazz sequence you're studying in the Alfred's book? Sounds interesting.

#2070281 - 04/24/13 10:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I liked Guantanamera. It's pretty and the arrangement is nice.

I'm still a 2'er. Two pieces to go and making progress with Danny Boy.

#2070343 - 04/24/13 11:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
1000 Post Club Member

Oops sorry got a bit confused - Jazz Sequence is in book 3. I ordered them together and flit from one to the other depending on mood.

#2072361 - 04/27/13 07:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
just4fun Offline

I have finished Overture...not my favorite.

I really like Light and Blue!

Light and Blue will be the last song that I did when I was doing Alberts previously, so everything will no doubt proceed much more slowly now.

I also liked Guantanamera. I still it play if regularly.

#2072391 - 04/27/13 07:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: just4fun]
1000 Post Club Member

I have finished Overture...not my favorite.

I also liked Guantanamera. I still it play if regularly.

just4fun there is something about those old folk songs that are really pleasing once you learn and master them.

#2072414 - 04/27/13 08:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: earlofmar]
gahdzila Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
look forward to hearing it then in the recital gahdzilla, will be listening for *THOSE TWO NASTY MEASURES*:

Aww, thanks! But I meant for my "live in person recital" with my teacher and the other students. I'm not signed up for the forum recital. You're invited to come, if you like, but Australia to Louisiana is a long trip just to hear me play Chopin badly! If I do ever get around to recording it, I'd be happy to post a link for you guys wink

I'm zipping right through Pachalbel so far! It probably helps that I've already played a different arrangement of this piece. The first two pages seemed pretty simple to me. First variation at the top of the third page was tricky, next couple are easy. And that's as far as I've gotten, halfway through the third page. I did *look* at the fourth page....YIKES!!!

Edited by gahdzila (04/27/13 08:32 PM)

#2074384 - 04/30/13 05:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
just4fun Offline

I have a question:

I usually practice a piece in sections until I can play the notes and rhythm, but not the desired tempo. Then I string the sections together and start playing the entire piece.

The speed is much slower than what it needs to be, so at this point I work on bringing up the speed of the entire song.

Does anyone ever practice in sections but bring each section up to speed before combining them?

Just wondering if this might work better....

#2074517 - 04/30/13 09:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: just4fun]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
A little of each actually, just4.
Pick a section-maybe 4 measures. Refine the worst bit of the section-maybe 3 beats, get them to a place where I can play them at the same tempo as the rest of the 4 measure section. Smooth it out.

Rinse. Repeat.

If the whole thing needs speeding up then really just do the same thing.

#2074567 - 04/30/13 10:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: gahdzila]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: gahdzila
[quote=earlofmar]I'm zipping right through Pachalbel so far! It probably helps that I've already played a different arrangement of this piece. The first two pages seemed pretty simple to me. First variation at the top of the third page was tricky, next couple are easy. And that's as far as I've gotten, halfway through the third page. I did *look* at the fourth page....YIKES!!!

One tip for the Pachelbel Canon is to get really comfortable with the LH and RH progressions as shown before the beginning of the piece.

Every single variation uses that exact same sequence of RH hand positions, (with the exception of an occasional quick extra hand position change at the end of some variations).

In the first half of the piece, the LH progression as shown is used over and over.

In the second half of the piece, practice the LH separately to get the progression down as it moves through octaves; again, the LH hand positions for this octave form of the progression is repeated in every variation in the second half.

#2074912 - 05/01/13 10:21 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
just4fun Offline

Thanks for your response Malkin.

I guess it's still just hard work and no silver bullet!

#2079620 - 05/09/13 02:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
1000 Post Club Member

Having went way above my level in the upcoming recital (I played a piece out of the Alfred book 3) I have returned to my nemesis, Etude Opus 10 No 3. I attempted to learn this piece thinking how nice it sounded a few months ago. I was quickly stopped in my tracks by it's sheer difficulty.

I have come back reinvigorated with another couple of months experience and a recital piece under my belt (hope that's enough). My teacher tells me it's a difficult piece but "they" put it in book 2 so they can't be wrong can they.

Anyway broken it down into four sections (only one of which I find easy) and playing each one very slowly (a snail could pass me) memorizing the notes and finger positions. Each day I am improving just a little and may have a thoroughly tragic but intact play through by the weekend. Maybe another few months after that to polish it up. I don't think I am ready to join the Chopin fan club just yet.

#2079938 - 05/09/13 05:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
just4fun Offline

Welcome back, earlofmar!

I am glad to see another person in Alfred's 2, I think we're the only ones.

I am currently on Alexander's Ragtime.

I can't find the Etude 10 3 in my book -- I have the all-in-one.
Is that the same book you have?

#2079968 - 05/09/13 06:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: just4fun]
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome back, earlofmar!

I am glad to see another person in Alfred's 2, I think we're the only ones.

I am currently on Alexander's Ragtime.

I can't find the Etude 10 3 in my book -- I have the all-in-one.
Is that the same book you have?

Yes, it sounds like the same book Alfred's Adult all in One Course Book 2 (I guess there maybe different prints). Ths Etude I am playing (if that's what you can call it) is on page 40. I am not doing the book sequentially so haven't done Alexanders Rag Time band. How is it?

#2080243 - 05/10/13 09:58 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
just4fun Offline

I must have a different edition because I don't have that song.

The ragtime song is actually not too hard and a lot of fun to play.

It has the "swing" rhythm like Light & Blue.

The hardest part for me will be playing it smoothly while bringing it up to speed...I think this one sounds good played fast!

#2080295 - 05/10/13 11:43 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Oh Alexander's Ragtime Band... I couldn't bring myself to learn that one, because I had in my ears Julie Andrew's version, and a few notes here and there are so different that the one in the book just didn't sound right to me.

#2080422 - 05/10/13 04:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
just4fun Offline

sinophillia,
I know what you mean about not playing a song that sounds different from what you expect it to be.

I felt the same way about Amazing Grace in book one....it was the first one that I didn't work on at all. I couldn't think how they managed to make such a beautiful song sound so ugly.

I was afraid if I learned it I might never enjoy that song again!

#2080461 - 05/10/13 06:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
1000 Post Club Member

I will never be able to touch House of the Rising Sun. I learned it when I was playing guitar and played it to death. I can't even listen to The Animals version without switching it off.

#2080538 - 05/10/13 10:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: earlofmar]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
Originally Posted By: earlofmar
I will never be able to touch House of the Rising Sun. I learned it when I was playing guitar and played it to death. I can't even listen to The Animals version without switching it off.

Lol, I know what you mean, Earlofmar, though I never played in on guitar. Some songs (and I mean songs) just aren't meant for piano. House of the Rising Sun is one; La Bamba is another. sick

#2082822 - 05/15/13 12:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
So far I'm really enjoying book 2. I absolutely love the song Introduction and Dance! Its so fun to play, and has totally rejuvenated my enthusiasm for playing. Light and Blue is another fun song. If I had a bit more time to prepare, I would have done one of them for my first recital. Great book, glad I stuck with Alfred's method.

#2082853 - 05/15/13 01:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: hamlet cat]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: hamlet cat
So far I'm really enjoying book 2. I absolutely love the song Introduction and Dance! Its so fun to play, and has totally rejuvenated my enthusiasm for playing. Light and Blue is another fun song. If I had a bit more time to prepare, I would have done one of them for my first recital. Great book, glad I stuck with Alfred's method.

Glad to hear it hamlet cat, I agree it is a good book, full of little gems.

#2083638 - 05/16/13 11:31 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Piano Martin Offline

Loc: Devon, England
Just catching up on this thread and checking in. As for myself, I've reached the mid-way point, or thereabouts, and presently learning Musette - a really nice little piece. It's probably my favourite in the book so far with Light and Blue a close second. Still needs a lot of work though!

#2087532 - 05/23/13 04:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
just4fun Offline

Hello everyone

Also just checking in. I'm on Ragtime and just realized that I've been on this song for 3 WEEKS!!

I've been able to play it smoothly for some time but not at the speed that is on the CD. In fact, I can hardly move my fingers that fast.

Do most of you bring each song up to the speed on the CD (which seems excessively fast to me) or go on as soon as you can play it well.

I am working on other things (Thompson, scales and sight-reading) just so you don't think I only play this one thing over and over!

#2087552 - 05/23/13 05:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: just4fun]
1000 Post Club Member

Hello everyone

Do most of you bring each song up to the speed on the CD (which seems excessively fast to me) or go on as soon as you can play it well.

I am not going through the book sequentially but I have about four of the pieces done and struggle with the speed too. I have discussed this with my teacher but she did not seem overly concerned. My weaker left hand appears to be the
problem, so it's something I have to work on.

I don't think it is worthwhile to stay on one piece too long hoping my technique will improve and suddenly I can play it at speed. I will generally be on a piece a solid two weeks but after that I prefer to move on for each piece has it's challenge and that is what is to be gained. The whole speed thing will come eventually.

#2087564 - 05/23/13 05:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: just4fun]
gahdzila Offline

ALL DONE! The last page of Pachelbel wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. It's somewhat fast, but it rolls off the fingers easily for the most part. The hardest part of the last page for me was getting my RH 4th finger to work properly - getting enough strength behind it to be as loud as the rest of the notes while still keeping good control over it.

Today was my last lesson for a while. My teacher goes on vacation to visit her family in Czech republic every year around this time, and she won't be back for 6 weeks or so. She left me with some homework, though - Parisian Waltz by Robert Donahue (doesn't look too daunting), and my next uber long term super hard project - Chopin Nocturne, Op 9 No 2. YIKES! Yeah, that one is gonna take a while!

Hello everyone

Also just checking in. I'm on Ragtime and just realized that I've been on this song for 3 WEEKS!!

I've been able to play it smoothly for some time but not at the speed that is on the CD. In fact, I can hardly move my fingers that fast.

I am working on other things (Thompson, scales and sight-reading) just so you don't think I only play this one thing over and over!

Don't sweat it. I was in the same boat, working on Alfred's but also working on two or three other pieces simultaneously, and I often took 3 or 4 weeks per Alfred's piece, sometimes more for the longer and harder ones.

I can't comment on the speed of the CD, as I don't have it. I don't remember playing Alexander's Ragtime SUPER fast...the only tempo marking on the piece is "Moderately." Do you have a metronome? I just went and plunked out a few bars of it...I think 100 bpm is probably sufficient, but that's just my opinion and I'm more or less guesstimating.

#2087597 - 05/23/13 07:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: gahdzila]
ShannanwL Offline

I don't recall playing Alexander's Ragtime Band extremely fast either.

I am currently on:

La Raspa
Mexican Hat Dance
He's A Jolly Good Fellow.

I am taking a dab at the D minor section.

I am also playing a few songs in Faber's Piano Literature Level 2
Hungarian Rapashody
Bagatelle
Minuet by James Hook
Little Prelude
First Lessons in Bach- Minuet in G Major
Czerny Opus 599 Exercise 2

Page 93 of 101 < 1 2 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 100 101 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (36251, AndrewJCW, barbaram, BarryDMD, anotherscott, 19 invisible), 1248 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75843 Members
42 Forums
156798 Topics
2303945 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
HELLO!!
by Synner
Yesterday at 07:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission