Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2083160 - 05/15/13 03:15 PM Casio's digital piano sounds
Hishyzx Offline

Hello,
I am wondering how good the quality of Casio's top of the line pianos like the AP 450 and 650 compared to the grand piano sounds on the Yamaha and Roland in that price range (1500$~1700$).
I have seen a few reviews on YouTube but i cant compare the sound properly through my computer speakers.
How would you rate the grand piano sounds of the Casio series (X\10)?
How well would you rate the Casio grand piano sounds to Yamaha or Roland?

Thanks!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2083176 - 05/15/13 03:34 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: Hishyzx]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

I would rank those three as Yamaha (by a wide margin), Roland, Casio. Other people may feel differently. This isn't a case where "majority rules." The only person's whose opinion matters is yours, so you really should play them before making any decision.

#2083181 - 05/15/13 03:42 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: Hishyzx]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
The Casio sound is good, but you have to take the total package and price range into consideration. Roland's, KAWAI's and Yamaha often sound better but cost more. Question is, does the Casio sound good enough for you and what you want to do with the Casio. And do you like the basic character of the sound. Casio, Kawai , Roland and Yamaha sound very different , so it's also a matter of taste - apart from the technical aspects of the sound. Listen carefully to the demos over good headphones and decide for yourself. Also look at he DPBSD thread in this forum for a more technical comparisson between the different DP's . You'll see that Roland SN is certainly better in several respects, but it also doesn't come cheap. Can't have it all...(but Casio has certainly made big progressions the last few years).

#2083209 - 05/15/13 04:45 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: Hishyzx]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
It depends on your own preference.

The Yam/Casio P95 vs P130 debate ages ago. Even though technically the P95 had a lower spec in terms of layers, I thought it sounded nicer..

The x50s seem a bit off to me compared to the 155.

While the Roland RD I like a lot, (but it costs double Casio money), I like Kawai even more but it costs triple Casio money!

(PX350 £599, Roland RD300NX £1250, Kawai £2000!)

#2083218 - 05/15/13 05:09 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: Hishyzx]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Along with others, I think the way for _you_ to answer your question is to go and listen to the pianos.

And bring a pair of good headphones. Differences between loudspeakers and amps can overwhelm differences between the "true" [that is, Line-Out or Headphone-out] sound.

My own take:

. . . A $2000 Roland stage piano sounds better than a
. . . $800 Casio PX-350 -- especially after you turn up the
. . . "string resonance" setting on the Roland.

Only _you_ can decide if it sounds $1200 better.

. Charles

PS -- bias -- I own a PX-350.

#2083231 - 05/15/13 05:27 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: Hishyzx]
Hishyzx Offline

I have been reading about Casio's digital piano's and technically they are supposed to sound better,Casio has invested a lot of effort to mimic a true grand piano,paying attention to every little detail.
In term of specs Casio should be the winner but the sound of it is just not that great...
How would you rate Kawai's grand piano sounds compared to Casio Yamaha and Roland?

Edited by Hishyzx (05/15/13 05:37 PM)

#2083241 - 05/15/13 05:43 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: Hishyzx]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Hishyzx
Casio has invested a lot of effort to mimic a true grand piano,paying attention to every little detail.

and you could take "casio" out of that sentence and put in Yamaha, Roland, Nord, Kawai, and the statement is equally true. ;-)

#2083245 - 05/15/13 05:48 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: Hishyzx]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sound and liking can't be scored on a scale of 1-10.

Its like ice cream or chocolate / candy.

While one person may like one kind, others may well like others. It is very subjective and heavily depends on the person.

The only way to KNOW which is right for YOU is to go to a piano shop with a good qualify pair of headphones and go play exactly the same piece on all of them and see which you prefer.

While you can look all day at the sine waves in the DPBSD thread, these numbers don't really tie up to how you would feel, the only beefy issue it throws up are attack sample lengths and how loopy the samples are.

#2083247 - 05/15/13 05:52 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: anotherscott]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

I dunno about that for all of them!

Yammy's P series all sound a lot like each other, I don't know about the clavinovas but the P series seem very similar. The 120-140-155 just seem to be very slight refinements on the last one.

#2083250 - 05/15/13 05:56 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: justpin]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: justpin
I dunno about that for all of them!

I meant that all of them would say the same things about their pianos. ;-)

#2083890 - 05/16/13 11:52 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: Hishyzx]
Clumsy Offline

Loc: Bangkok, Thailand
From an AP-450 owner.

I spent months, since the last half of last year, looking for a digital piano, testing and playing a variety of them and I ended up with the Casio AP-450.

The reason I picked the Casio? Simple. It's cheaper and, like a duck, it doesn't excel in any feature, but does everything reasonably well. My brother, a pro pianist, helped me choose between Casio and Kawai.

What I care most is the touch. Of course, I prefer the Kawai's touch, but the Casio wasn't shabby in anyway. The x50 series has improved a lot in it's touch. Although it doesn't have that let-off feel to simulate the real keys, but it's easily controllable. Casio's keys are a bit heavier, too. (But since I grew up on an old Bentley upright, the Casio's keys are so very, very light to play with already.)

Sound-wise, it's all in the speakers. Larger speakers will give you fuller sounds. One thing you should note is the various sound adjustments on the Casio (or any other makes). You need to find the proper adjustments for your home acoustics, and this can take days. The adjustment that sounds right today may not sound right (or could even sound better) the next day when you move the piano to a new corner of the house. The space behind the cabinet is also important. You'll need to get that "optimum" distance for a particular setting, and this comes from hours and hours of testing.

So, happy hunting. smile

#2083978 - 05/17/13 03:21 AM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: Hishyzx]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Casio sampleset has some key-stretching , which the trained ear might hear. Also I found the looping of the tones (especially the higher notes) quite noticeable with Casio , whilst on Kawai, Roland I didn't have that experience. It's a trade-off you have to make between price / ultimate sound quality. You cant' expect something 3 times cheaper than the alternative to have exactly the same , or better, AP sound. Kurzweil is the expensive exception for the moment, until they release the Artis, which might put them on par with the rest again for the AP sound.

Again, you get what you pay for and Casio delivers a lot of bang for the bugs, but can't be compared to a DP 2 ~ 3x the price.

#2083987 - 05/17/13 04:15 AM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: Hishyzx]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Would it be interesting to play some Yamaha, Roland or whatever through some Casio DP, or the opposite? This could give us an idea of how much hardware has to do with final sound.
If someone has some different brands/models at home (JFP, PV88, James?) he could try this test.
With regards to the price/quality...Roland, Yamaha, Nord or Kawai don't give us three times the quality of a flagship Casio, in my opinion, despite they cost three times more.
Besides, there is something, let's call it good taste for sound, that is better in some brand's technicians, and this, along with better amps and speakers, can make the difference between older but better sounding technologies and newer ones.
Had Casio fired the one who says "ok" to the piano sound some years ago, they would be the new standard.

#2084143 - 05/17/13 12:01 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: mabraman]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: mabraman
Would it be interesting to play some Yamaha, Roland or whatever through some Casio DP, or the opposite? This could give us an idea of how much hardware has to do with final sound.
If someone has some different brands/models at home (JFP, PV88, James?) he could try this test.

I just test-played a Roland RD-80. The built-in loudspeakers are (IMHO) pretty bad. They sound about as good as my PX-350 loudspeakers -- weak bass, not much "body" to the sound. They don't do justice to the electronics.

The FP-80 through headphones, though -- that's a different story. The Roland sound might be worth 2.5 times as much as the Casio sound. When I have the money, and nothing better to do with it . . .

. Charles

PS -- the roland's loudspeaker specs (they're bi-amplified, approx 7 watts to each loudspeaker):

(8 cm(3-3/16 inches) x 12 cm (4-3/4 inches)) x 2 (with speaker box)
(5 cm (2 inches) x 12 cm (4-3/4 inches)) x 2

Edited by Charles Cohen (05/17/13 12:07 PM)

#2084875 - 05/18/13 06:27 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: Hishyzx]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Might be an idea to try the Casio with headphones, alongside other DPs for comparison. I bought a Kawai some years ago to replace my Yamaha. I failed to perceive that the Kawai was by comparison, a Mono instrument . . . horrible mistake I`ll never make again!

""

#2084906 - 05/18/13 08:04 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: peterws]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: peterws
I bought a Kawai some years ago to replace my Yamaha. I failed to perceive that the Kawai was by comparison, a Mono instrument . . .

Do you recall the model Peter?

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2084910 - 05/18/13 08:08 PM Re: Casio's digital piano sounds [Re: Kawai James]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Think it was the CN 290. It was bland and (looking back) poorly sampled. I bought it `cos it was a lot lighter than my CLP 820 which was being gigged at the time. I fitted it out with internal handles . . . It had a nice keyboard though. I should`ve kept that .. .ha ha

""

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
29 minutes 56 seconds ago
What is this piece?
by JoelW
59 minutes 14 seconds ago
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
Today at 07:59 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
Today at 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Bhm
by Johan B
Today at 03:40 PM
Who's Online
117 registered (accordeur, ando, a-z0-9, 36 invisible), 1265 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158482 Topics
2327402 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission