2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by -Frycek
For what it's worth Eleanor Bailie rates the Fantasy Impromptu as grade 8+ and both the nocturnes in question as plain grade 8.

And unfortunately, the Fantasy Impromptu is too often attempted by students at the grade 6 level or lower. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by the nosy ape
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Hint: I might not be Chopin.

And I might not be Beethoven.

Sorry, I could not resist.

Carey #2083164 05/15/13 03:21 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by -Frycek
For what it's worth Eleanor Bailie rates the Fantasy Impromptu as grade 8+ and both the nocturnes in question as plain grade 8.

And unfortunately, the Fantasy Impromptu is too often attempted by students at the grade 6 level or lower. grin

Too true, carey. I think that one of the curses of the Fantaisie-Impromptu is that too many relatively young, technically facile players attempt it while more mature players avoid it because it is overplayed and superficial (?) in content. Even though Chopin did not (apparently) wish this work to be published, it is, in the right hands, a lovely piece of fanciful writing, even if it lacks great depth. I don't think that every piece has to be profound to be beautiful or to be captivating. Even if the repetitions in the Moderato cantabile sections occur once too often, surely that section contains a lovely bel canto melody, rivaling - or at least equalling - anything Bellini wrote.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Originally Posted by BruceD
Too true, carey. I think that one of the curses of the Fantaisie-Impromptu is that too many relatively young, technically facile players attempt it while more mature players avoid it because it is overplayed and superficial (?) in content. Even though Chopin did not (apparently) wish this work to be published, it is, in the right hands, a lovely piece of fanciful writing, even if it lacks great depth. I don't think that every piece has to be profound to be beautiful or to be captivating. Even if the repetitions in the Moderato cantabile sections occur once too often, surely that section contains a lovely bel canto melody, rivaling - or at least equalling - anything Bellini wrote.

Well said !! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
wr #2083214 05/15/13 05:01 PM
M
OP Offline
M
You have a very good point! Maybe you could guide me in the right direction.... As far as my background goes, I'm 33, have played since I was 5, and took 10 years off from age 20-30. I've played a range from Bach's French Suite selections, to Debussy's First Arabesque, Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu, and Rachmoninov's Prelude in E Minor (his easiest one!)

At work I spend 8 hours a day trying to recreate perfection in a tiny black hole (the life of a dentist), and managing 8 women. =) Playing piano is my therapy!!!! I would like to find a piece that is an expressive outlet. I tend to find Debussy and Chopin and Rachmoninov great for reliving tension, but I'm sure there are many other composers that accomplish the same emotion in their music.... Any ideas?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by musicaldentist
At work I spend 8 hours a day trying to recreate perfection in a tiny black hole (the life of a dentist), and managing 8 women. =) Playing piano is my therapy!!!! I would like to find a piece that is an expressive outlet. I tend to find Debussy and Chopin and Rachmoninov great for reliving tension, but I'm sure there are many other composers that accomplish the same emotion in their music.... Any ideas?

I keep wondering if your drills are perfectly pitched - -
(Also how do you feel about Little Shop of Horrors?)

A good stress relieving nocturne might be C# Posthumous. It's meditative, not too long and only has a couple of killer passages. It also starts sounding half way decent early in the learning process which is a great incentive.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Old Man
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I'd suggest basing the decision on your comfort level with the fioratura.

If fioratura scares you, do Op. 48, if you know how to handle it, do Op. 9.

Uh........uh.............. grin

fioratura? It sounds so lovely. FI-or-a-tu-ra. fi-or-a-TU-ra. So beautiful. So musical.

And for all these years I've been incorrectly calling it a "bitch".

It's spelt wrong. BruceD got it right: fioritura, not 'fioratura'.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's really up to you, but I personally prefer Op.9 No.1 (in spite of the fioritura). heart

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

P
P
....Caution! a calculator is not the solution!....

Well, at least slightly it is. smile

Why do you say it isn't? Although actually I have to say, indeed I don't use one, but that's only because I can do division in my head. grin

I go along with the gist of what I think is your basic message: following the 'calculation' won't give the music. But, I always "do the division" in the initial stage of learning such passages -- it does serve as a good guide -- although I do try ultimately to steer clear of having the passage sound like a mathematical fractionation. smile

(Don't let Beet31425 see this post, please.) ha

Mark_C thumb My process as well. I don't like approaches that divide the RH passage into various groups of 2, 3, etc, to coincide with the LH notes. That I find more "mechanical."

P
P
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

Don't worry. I've locked his browser so he can't access the site, and the password to unlock it is to decipher a 67,908,131 against 809,101,477 polyrhythm. grin

That's easy. You just play 11.915 notes in one hand to each note in the other. Piece of cake! smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I go along with the gist of what I think is your basic message: following the 'calculation' won't give the music. But, I always "do the division" in the initial stage of learning such passages -- it does serve as a good guide -- although I do try ultimately to steer clear of having the passage sound like a mathematical fractionation. smile

heh heh...
Mark, a statement like this isn't a crime against mathematics so much as against language itself....

Like you, I start out with a "calculated" framework, and then ultimately smooth it out a bit. However, that framework doesn't have to be a simple "play a note every n/m beats".

For instance, in the 11-over-6 passage in m.2 of op.9/1, my initial framework isn't "play the RH every 6/11 (or 0.545) beats of the LH". Instead it's "play the RH as two groups of 4 16th's followed by one group of triplets." I start there, and eventually smooth it out.

-J

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Goomer Piles
Originally Posted by Old Man
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I'd suggest basing the decision on your comfort level with the fioratura.

If fioratura scares you, do Op. 48, if you know how to handle it, do Op. 9.

Uh........uh.............. grin

fioratura? It sounds so lovely. FI-or-a-tu-ra. fi-or-a-TU-ra. So beautiful. So musical.

And for all these years I've been incorrectly calling it a "bitch".

It's spelt wrong. BruceD got it right: fioritura, not 'fioratura'.

Well, since I'd never heard the term before, I tossed a coin: BruceD or Kreisler, both very authoritative sources. I guess I guessed wrong.

But I'm pretty sure I spelled "bitch" correctly. grin

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by musicaldentist
You have a very good point! Maybe you could guide me in the right direction.... As far as my background goes, I'm 33, have played since I was 5, and took 10 years off from age 20-30. I've played a range from Bach's French Suite selections, to Debussy's First Arabesque, Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu, and Rachmoninov's Prelude in E Minor (his easiest one!)

Maybe one of those collections that have the music of many different composers? I used to love going through those kind of books and discovering things I liked. Maybe someone here can suggest some good ones - I'm not really sure what is currently available.

Some other ideas would be Mendelssohn Songs Without Words, Schumann Romances, Brahms Waltzes, Schubert Impromptus - just for starters.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
...more mature players avoid it [the Fantasie-Impromptu] because it is overplayed and superficial (?) in content.

I don't think a piece is necessarily superficial just because it's overplayed. At least it's more inspired than the piece that gave Chopin the idea - the E-flat Impromptu by Moscheles. grin

I think it's not one of Chopin's greatest works, but try making a room completely dark, eliminating all other sounds, and then turning on a recording of it by a great pianist like Rubinstein. It's quite a fantastic experience. (Sorry, couldn't resist. grin)

Try it. You may gain a new level of appreciation for the work.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Originally Posted by beet31425
....(Don't let Beet31425 see this post, please.) ha

heh heh...
Mark, a statement like this isn't a crime against mathematics so much as against language itself....

That's exactly what I meant!

(It was follow-up on your prior post and my reply to it.)

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Speaking of polyrhythms, I didn't think I had any problems with them until working on Ondine - the climax is nuts! The first beat is 7 vs 6, then 6 vs 7, followed by 7 vs 5 and then 6 vs 5. Drives me crazy...

For op.9 no.1, it's helpful to think of the 22 against 12 as being two 11 over 6: it's almost like 12 against 6 (two notes of RH against one note on the LH), just there's one less. Get the left hand steady first and then start to add in the right hand. Think of those sections as an invitation to apply lots of rubato against a strict left hand.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Speaking of polyrhythms, I didn't think I had any problems with them until working on Ondine - the climax is nuts! The first beat is 7 vs 6, then 6 vs 7, followed by 7 vs 5 and then 6 vs 5. Drives me crazy.....

For things like that, I don't do 'math' at any stage; I only do it when there's more of a difference in the numbers of notes, to have some rough idea of 'how many notes in this hand per note of that hand.'

But with things like this, there isn't really any 'how many notes per note,' because it's very close to 1:1. What I do (and I think what most people do?) is to mostly practice the hands separately at first, and get the feel of how each beat feels for each hand, aiming for it to be 'second nature' to play each hand, to get to where you can put the hands together and be thinking of each hand simply as "one beat" and having the notes fall properly without thinking about them.

I know that some people divide the whole thing into fractions -- in this case it would be 42nd's, 35th's, and 30th's. Sometimes I do that a little but not a whole lot.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I just do approximations. Like for 7 against 6, I just play the first note together...then alternate RH and LH...so R+L...R, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R. This way I can practice complicated rhythms at a very slow tempo...which is the tricky part. They always get easier as the tempo gets faster.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
...more mature players avoid it [the Fantasie-Impromptu] because it is overplayed and superficial (?) in content.

I don't think a piece is necessarily superficial just because it's overplayed. [...]

I'm glad that you quoted me in your response; it saves me going back to verify my post. You must have noted that I said that I thought that the Fantaisie-Impromptu was avoided because "it is overplayed and superficial" and not "superficial because it's overplayed." In other words, not cause and effect, but simply a two-sided critique.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
I just do approximations. Like for 7 against 6, I just play the first note together...then alternate RH and LH...so R+L...R, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R. This way I can practice complicated rhythms at a very slow tempo...which is the tricky part. They always get easier as the tempo gets faster.

Are you talking about "that bar" in Chopin's 27/2? How dare you! grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission