Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1901525 - 05/22/12 09:43 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: ggould]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Perhaps the seller saw this thread and decided that his/her DP was worth more? wink

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1901527 - 05/22/12 09:52 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: Lefty Chev]
ggould Offline

Originally Posted By: Lefty Chev
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Agreed. If you come back with a $900 offer, what's to say that the seller will not ask for $1000. Usually it's the buy who barters with the seller, not the other way around.

Set yourself a maximum price that you wish to pay and stick to it.

Cheers,
James
x

What I don't understand is that the OP said they offered 750 and the seller accepted. If that's the case then the OP should have the piano at home right now. It sounds like this predicament is self inflicted.

Well, I hypothetically offered $750, and the seller said he would take that. However, more people were already going to take a look at the piano during the next days. I could've said "take $750 now or leave it", but in that case I would've risked losing the piano. One of the other persons then offered 800, so then I offered 850, and then they 880. $750 was below my maximum price, so that's why I didn't give an ultimatum. My maximum price is approaching now...

#1901528 - 05/22/12 09:53 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: Kawai James]
ggould Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Perhaps the seller saw this thread and decided that his/her DP was worth more? wink

If the seller is seeing this thread, I'd like to announce that I won't go much higher than my current offer smile

#1901535 - 05/22/12 10:04 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: ggould]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Bad speak! " ... in that case I would've risked losing the piano."
I strongly resist that notion.
There is no risk.
And there is nothing to lose (and nothing to win).
It's just business.

#1901538 - 05/22/12 10:12 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: ggould]
Lefty Chev Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: ggould

Well, I hypothetically offered $750, and the seller said he would take that. However, more people were already going to take a look at the piano during the next days. I could've said "take $750 now or leave it", but in that case I would've risked losing the piano. One of the other persons then offered 800, so then I offered 850, and then they 880. $750 was below my maximum price, so that's why I didn't give an ultimatum. My maximum price is approaching now...

I'd be done with the bidding. For all you know, there is no other person.

#1901545 - 05/22/12 10:23 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: ggould]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

Update:

Someone else offered a better price for the CLP-990. Now I have to offer $900. Do you guys still think $900 for the CLP-990 is a good deal, or would you suggest that I let this go? I've seen at some CLP-330s at ~$1000, but unfortunately not close to where I am (I've seen at least one in NY, but far from where I am). I could wait some more time, but the digital piano market on craigslist seems to move pretty slowly!

$900 is still a great price for the CLP990.

#1901565 - 05/22/12 11:05 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: Lefty Chev]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I was thinking that, too ...
Originally Posted By: Lefty Chev
Maintain control. Always.

So, wait and see. Then, when the seller's anxiety rises, jump back in.

#1901624 - 05/23/12 02:27 AM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: MacMacMac]
ggould Offline

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
There is no risk.
It's just business.

Semantics!

Quote:

Right, this is a possibility, although I do believe the seller is honest (based on the seller's credentials). Also, if the seller is bluffing, the seller also runs the "risk" (or not? :p) of me saying "no", in which case the seller loses their only offer. The seller does have to sell the piano by the end of June, so bluffing also has a cost.

Many thanks to those who gave their opinion on $900 still being a good price. I think this is as high as I'll go.

#1901738 - 05/23/12 09:24 AM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: ggould]
Lefty Chev Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
There is no risk.
It's just business.

Semantics!

Quote:

Right, this is a possibility, although I do believe the seller is honest (based on the seller's credentials). Also, if the seller is bluffing, the seller also runs the "risk" (or not? :p) of me saying "no", in which case the seller loses their only offer. The seller does have to sell the piano by the end of June, so bluffing also has a cost.

Many thanks to those who gave their opinion on $900 still being a good price. I think this is as high as I'll go.

If you're going to offer him $900, you should make the offer that you come pick if up right then. Something like, "If I offer you $900 can I come pick it up tonight?" If not, you're just being set up to have the price raised again.

EDIT: I also don't think MacMacMac's point is semantical. If you're afraid of loosing, you put yourself in a weaker negotiating position. If you're there with money, ready to make the deal and no one else is, you're in a stronger negotiating position. The seller has no idea if anyone else is going to make an offer, or make an offer that's as good. They risk loosing a sure sale for what might be.

Edited by Lefty Chev (05/23/12 09:27 AM)

#1901747 - 05/23/12 09:42 AM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: ggould]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Reading between the lines - and please forgive me if I'm way off beam here, ggould - it sounds like the OP may not have made a firm decision himself that this is the piano he really wants. I suspect, if he had, the deal would have been done by now.

#1902040 - 05/23/12 07:47 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: voxpops]
ggould Offline

Quote:
"If I offer you $900 can I come pick it up tonight?"

Well, that would be great, if I could actually pick it up tonight. I have to look into moving it and that's not that simple!

Quote:
. If you're there with money, ready to make the deal and no one else is, you're in a stronger negotiating position. The seller has no idea if anyone else is going to make an offer, or make an offer that's as good. They risk loosing a sure sale for what might be.

True, but in the case that the offer is $200 below the asking price (like my $750), and the seller has more people looking at it, and still a good amount of time left, then it is likely that the seller will not accept a firm deal. I think this technique is the best idea when 1) you're 100% sure you want to buy the piano and 2) your offer is closer to the asking price).

Quote:
it sounds like the OP may not have made a firm decision himself that this is the piano he really wants

This is correct at the time that I made the $750 offer. Also, the owner was already expecting more people to take a look at that point, so I think he would've waited on those people anyway. In any case, I would not hand in the money at this point, no matter what, since I still need to make arrangements to pick it up, so there is never a "binding transaction".

Update:
The last person who saw the piano yesterday offered the asking price of $950, and the owner sealed the deal on the spot frown. This at least shows that the owner was not bluffing.

Now I have to start my search all over again! If you know anyone in Manhattan selling a good DP, let me know!

Edited by ggould (05/23/12 07:59 PM)

#1902048 - 05/23/12 08:13 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: ggould]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

Quote:
"If I offer you $900 can I come pick it up tonight?"

Well, that would be great, if I could actually pick it up tonight. I have to look into moving it and that's not that simple!

Quote:
. If you're there with money, ready to make the deal and no one else is, you're in a stronger negotiating position. The seller has no idea if anyone else is going to make an offer, or make an offer that's as good. They risk loosing a sure sale for what might be.

True, but in the case that the offer is $200 below the asking price (like my $750), and the seller has more people looking at it, and still a good amount of time left, then it is likely that the seller will not accept a firm deal. I think this technique is the best idea when 1) you're 100% sure you want to buy the piano and 2) your offer is closer to the asking price).

Quote:
it sounds like the OP may not have made a firm decision himself that this is the piano he really wants

This is correct at the time that I made the $750 offer. Also, the owner was already expecting more people to take a look at that point, so I think he would've waited on those people anyway. In any case, I would not hand in the money at this point, no matter what, since I still need to make arrangements to pick it up, so there is never a "binding transaction".

Update:
The last person who saw the piano yesterday offered the asking price of $950, and the owner sealed the deal on the spot frown. This at least shows that the owner was not bluffing.

Now I have to start my search all over again! If you know anyone in Manhattan selling a good DP, let me know!

I would have paid $1,500 for it.

#1902051 - 05/23/12 08:30 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: Kona_V-Piano]
ggould Offline

Quote:
I would have paid $1,500 for it.

Owner should've kept playing the betting game! I would've upped $950!

#1959363 - 09/15/12 07:26 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: ggould]
stuffedtiger23 Offline

Going to try to resurrect this forum. There's a used CLP 330 that I'm looking at purchased in 2009 going for $1500 USD. Assuming it's in good condition, would you consider this a decent price? I saw a new one at a dealer going for 2200-2300. I was hoping to pay more around $1000. What do you all think?

#1959368 - 09/15/12 07:47 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: ggould]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Dealer asking price might have been $2200, but you'd likely have been able to buy for $1800-$2000. So $1500 for a three-year-old is too high, IMO. I think $1000 might be too low, unless the seller is under pressure to sell. There's one way to find out. Offer $1000. Make it tempting. Have your cash in hand. (But check out the piano first!)

#1959891 - 09/16/12 08:52 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: ggould]
stuffedtiger23 Offline

update. It was as good as advertised. Got it for 1000 (which is good because that's all my bank would let me withdraw from my ATM today!

#1959894 - 09/16/12 09:05 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: ggould]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Congratulations. That was a very good deal.

#1959901 - 09/16/12 09:34 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: ggould]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Great deal, well done!

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2083242 - 05/15/13 05:44 PM Re: Fair Price of Clavinova CLP-330 [Re: ggould]
RvdB Offline

Hope i can ask this question in this topic. I found a used CLP 330, asking price €900. Is this a good deal? What should be my offer? I was hoping to spend around €600,- on a good second hand DP with realistic piano sound. On the pictures it looks in good condition.

What do you think?

Do i have to link to my other post?

Edited by Steffanricardo (05/15/13 06:10 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (aesop, AEMontoya, A Guy, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1229 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76007 Members
42 Forums
157167 Topics
2308305 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Frederick Historical Concert Season - Fall 2014
by Terrytunes
3 minutes 0 seconds ago
Stravinsky - Valse pour les enfants
by Peter071
Today at 06:05 PM
Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch.
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 05:24 PM
What's the value of my piano?
by Athos
Today at 04:51 PM
Portable keyboard stand for Kawai ES7
by gbitw
Today at 04:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission