Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2083120 - 05/15/13 02:08 PM Best performance-grade baby grand?
Roy Roy Offline

Hello everyone! Just found a great forum here and I have been reading a lot of posts. I'm looking for a baby grand (6' or less) with a performance-grade sound quality. I play classical music, mostly works from Schumann, Chopin and Debussy. Melodic singing and colorful tone is a priority.

I've auditioned a number of tier 1-3 pianos but having a really hard time to decide. I understand that a brand famous for its 9' does not necessarily also offer superior 5'. Budget is not an issue but I don't want to pay big bucks just because of the brand or overall reputation.

What's your opinion on which piano manufacturer offers the best "baby" grand? I'm constrainded by the size not price.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Roy

PS: I have a YAMAHA at home and didn't quite like it.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2083125 - 05/15/13 02:17 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Hmmm... it's such an individual choice I'd be hesitant to say what to get. Also, given the variability from instrument to instrument that a high-level player and listener can perceive, it would be hard to pin things down to one model. You do make a good point that some makers are more successful than others at making pianos this size (as opposed to concert grands), so I'm curious to see what recommendations you get in the sub-6' size from forum members.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2083168 - 05/15/13 03:27 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Roy Roy
Hello everyone! Just found a great forum here and I have been reading a lot of posts. I'm looking for a baby grand (6' or less) with a performance-grade sound quality. I play classical music, mostly works from Schumann, Chopin and Debussy. Melodic singing and colorful tone is a priority.

I've auditioned a number of tier 1-3 pianos but having a really hard time to decide. I understand that a brand famous for its 9' does not necessarily also offer superior 5'. Budget is not an issue but I don't want to pay big bucks just because of the brand or overall reputation.

What's your opinion on which piano manufacturer offers the best "baby" grand? I'm constrainded by the size not price.

The Walter 175 (5' 9") grand was designed for just this purpose. A high-performance piano, nicely built using excellent parts and materials and designed for smaller spaces. It is several inches narrower than most pianos of its length and the shape of the rim is more slender and aesthetically less dominate.

They are hard to find at dealers but, if cost is not a major criteria, it might be worth a trip to the factory (in So. Bend, Indiana) to try one.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2083175 - 05/15/13 03:34 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Roy Roy - Welcome to Piano World!

All of the Tier One builders produce superb instruments. It doesn't matter what we like, it is what you like that is the most important. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Take your time. Play as many as you can. Be patient until a particular piano announces that it is the one. Remember, even identical instruments from the same builder can be totally different. Find as many dealerships, who handle the elite instruments, as you can.

As far as referring to concert grands, some builders are much more focused on building smaller instruments than the 9 footers and you aren't looking for a piano of that size anyway. Don't even give it a thought.

BWT - A piano in the size you are looking for is not a "baby." That would refer to the smallest grand built by any given company. It is a poor term which really means nothing.

If you might consider stretching the length up to about 6'4", you open yourself into a world of spectacular pianos. You know the names, all you need to do is become acquainted with them on a personal basis. Even at less than six feet, they all excel.

Have fun and keep us posted.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2083180 - 05/15/13 03:41 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am rather happy with my Shigeru Kawai SK-2, but a number of others come to mind when cost is no big issue. I played a beautiful Bluethner Model 10 (164 cm), and there is the August Foerster 170. Even Boesendorfer has two small grands in its range (170cm and, a recent addition, 155cm) but I have not played them.

Edit: So far I have not come across a Steinway below model A that impressed me but that may be a coincidence.

Edited by maurus (05/15/13 05:42 PM)

#2083188 - 05/15/13 03:55 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Since my first reply, I've been contemplating this further. For a piano under six feet, my first choice would be Steingraeber, followed by S&S-Hamburg. But, there are so many that one's head spins!

In reality, I would probably go with an American S&S-0.

#2083196 - 05/15/13 04:19 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Roy Roy Offline

WOW! Thank you so much everyone!

To maurus: I am definitely going to try out the smaller Shigeru Kawai. Waiting for the dealer to get shipments.

To Minnesota Marty: S&S New York seems to be great. However I tried a few much less expensive competitors such as Estonia and it sounded just about as amazing as S&S. It was hard to compare as I played on them on different days. I know many people chose Estonia instead of S&S. I also saw one poster said that he would choose a small Mason & Hamlin over a small S&S at any time.

I wanted to know if price is less of an issue would that choice (i.e., Estonia/M&H > S&S) still holds true for them?

Edited by Roy Roy (05/15/13 04:20 PM)

#2083206 - 05/15/13 04:43 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
I know many people chose Estonia instead of S&S.

We just had three in a row.

They all chose same piano: 5'6 Estonia 160.
Sorry, 168...

Norbert smile

Edited by Norbert (05/16/13 01:15 AM)

#2083236 - 05/15/13 05:36 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Minnesota Marty Offline

I absolutely love the Estonia-190, however the Estonia-160 would not be my choice. Del mentioned the Walter-175. Again, it is the bigger brother which really comes into its own.

Under six feet, I would still go with the Steinway-0, but my ear would also lead me to the Mason-A and Steingraeber-A170. But, of course, that is just my preference.

As I said before, all of the tier one pianos are great instruments. It is your ears, fingers, and checkbook which matter most. The price range is quite wide as you have seen, but in that range, the shopper is not necessarily looking for a bargain. The value of the piano is what the piano will bring to you, not how much you paid for it.

#2083260 - 05/15/13 06:26 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Norbert]
swampwiz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:

Norbert smile

160 cm is about 5'3".

#2083271 - 05/15/13 06:47 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: swampwiz]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: swampwiz
Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:

Norbert smile

160 cm is about 5'3".

Norbert misspoke - it is 168cm.

#2083274 - 05/15/13 07:00 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
Some one needs to know his business better:)

#2083275 - 05/15/13 07:00 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
gutenberg Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
I love it when someone just asks for your opinion, and costs doesn't really matter. Of course, my opinion isn't worth much if the piano doesn't grab you.

Try them all under 6' and have fun doing it...BUT... you must try the small Steingraeber before making a decision. I believe its 5'7" or so. I haven't tried the small Bluthners or Forsters, and would love to play a Hamburg S&S, but I've played the others and then some. IMO the Steingraeber is in a class of its own. If you end up with a sub 6', and you want one of the best out there, you owe it to yourself to find one. And the composers you mentioned sound just great on that Steingraeber.

#2083303 - 05/15/13 08:25 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Rich D. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
I use to say the best under 6' grand Ive played was the Mason Hamlin A. That changed after playing the shortest Steingraeber grand. Nothing I've come across in that size category compares to it. Sadly the M&H A falls to number 2 in my book.

Rich

"Life is like a piano....what you get out of it depends on how you play it"
Anonymous

#2083321 - 05/15/13 09:29 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
There are some recent advances in scale design elements that rebuilders are using in small grands that no manufacturer offers.

One that is now spreading thru-out the piano technical community is stringing the piano with a blend of different wire types that helps moderate and even eliminate objectionable ringing sounds that the low tension strings of small pianos are very prone to suffer from. This stringing method is referred to as Hybrid Wire Scales. If you can find rebuilders who know how to apply these ideas you can get an amazing sounding small grand that would compare very well and probably exceed any new small grands available today.

Of course the rebuilder must have superb workmanship and be capable of tone-regulation at the highest standards.

#2083332 - 05/15/13 09:58 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Rob Roy,

Are you considering a used piano, as Mr. McMorrow seems to recommend, or are you interested in a top quality new piano?

When having a piano rebuilt, you are trusting a single individual or a shop to give you exactly what you want. When buying new, you are choosing exactly what you want.

#2083338 - 05/15/13 10:06 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT
There are some recent advances in scale design elements that rebuilders are using in small grands that no manufacturer offers.

One that is now spreading thru-out the piano technical community is stringing the piano with a blend of different wire types that helps moderate and even eliminate objectionable ringing sounds that the low tension strings of small pianos are very prone to suffer from. This stringing method is referred to as Hybrid Wire Scales. If you can find rebuilders who know how to apply these ideas you can get an amazing sounding small grand that would compare very well and probably exceed any new small grands available today.

Another option, of course, is to design the piano in a way that doesn't use strings with very low tensions.

ddf

#2083340 - 05/15/13 10:15 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Roy Roy Offline

Thank you, Mr. McMorrow. To Marty, I'm more leaning towards new pianos. I have no knowledge in the technical details and it would be very hard to make a good judgement. I might also have to factory-order a piano if the dealer doesn't have the right size (in this case, I have to try a different size and have my finger crossed).

#2083342 - 05/15/13 10:16 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Del]
Roy Roy Offline

Originally Posted By: Del

Another option, of course, is to design the piano in a way that doesn't use strings with very low tensions.

ddf

Is there any manufacturer does that? Sorry for my ignorance...

#2083348 - 05/15/13 10:28 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

None that I know of.

Another advantage to the Hybrid Wire Scales are that more of the unisons can be fit with trichord strings-and more of the overstrung section can be bi-chords instead of singles.

Since the multiple unison strings couple at the bridge-more trichords and less singles brings a deeper, warmer, richer, more dynamic sounding soundboard/string structure.

Many of the small pianos in todays market have over an octave of single string unisons in the overstrung section and run wound bi-chords high up into the scale. The tone is simply less piano like with these arrangements.

#2083356 - 05/15/13 10:38 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Minnesota Marty Offline

The tone is simply less piano like with these arrangements.

This is a statement that I could never possibly comprehend. If any piano is "less piano like," I must assume it's a digital.

Do the finest pianos of the world sound "less piano like" than the finest pianos of the world?

#2083358 - 05/15/13 10:41 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Bi-chord unisons high in the compass sound like someone trying to sing who has a very, pinched voice. No body to the sound.

#2083361 - 05/15/13 10:46 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Roy Roy
Originally Posted By: Del

ddf

Is there any manufacturer does that? Sorry for my ignorance...

Both of the Walter grands (175 and 190) have uniform-tension scales through the tenor sections.

There are others such as all of the new Young Chang and Weber grands but these are not marketed as "high performance" pianos.

ddf

#2083363 - 05/15/13 10:48 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Minnesota Marty Offline

For our edification, Mr. McMorrow, please outline the scale designs of all the performance grade pianos. I'm sure that would be germane to the question posed by the OP.

#2083368 - 05/15/13 10:53 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Mr. Fandrich, thanks to you, the Walter pianos are not "high performance pianos," they are considered "Performance-Grade."

You do disservice to yourself, and to Charles Walter, to reduce them to Tier II instruments.

Cheers,

#2083384 - 05/15/13 11:08 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I will get right on that Marty! Thanks for asking! EDifying is my name after all. You are such a funny guy dude, everybody loves having you at the party. We talk about you all the time. You Kill Me. Ciao for now.
Love Ed

#2083386 - 05/15/13 11:12 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Bi-chord unisons high in the compass sound like someone trying to sing who has a very, pinched voice. No body to the sound.

That is a rather broad and blanket statement.

The Walter 175 uses five bi-chord unisons in the under-strung tenor section -- notes #28 through #32 -- that terminate on a separate transition bridge. This piano has been available for 12+ years and has been played by some pretty good musicians during that time. To my knowledge, now one has ever called its voice "pinched" or complained about a lack of "body to the sound."

ddf

#2083397 - 05/15/13 11:23 PM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Del]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes I agree it is a rather broad and blanket statement. The physics of multiple string coupling are inescapable. I have simply reduced it to a term musicians usually relate to well.

I have done the A to B comparisons many times and more tri-chord and less singles sound better if you control all the other variables. You can visit my shop to hear the pianos and that tells the truth. The only truth that matters.

#2083451 - 05/16/13 01:18 AM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Thanks guys, of course it's Estonia "168".... blush

Quote:
and Steingraeber-A170.

Yes, that's perhaps the ultimate.

But comes with price....

Norbert cry

#2083508 - 05/16/13 04:49 AM Re: Best performance-grade baby grand? [Re: Roy Roy]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Unless set on a Steinway, M & H, Charles Walter, Estonia, Shigeru, or Bluthner you could go travelling to look at a Pfeiffer 191 and other German pianos but remember I'm no good with a tape measure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (bennevis, adultpianist, Atrys, AZNpiano, 16 invisible), 1143 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250100 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission