Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2083835 - 05/16/13 09:07 PM forward piano sale info or not?
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
Lately I've had a couple of people tell me about a piano for sale. This last one forwarded a message from her husband's co-worker. An entry level upright, 3 years old, family moving to Japan and must sell etc.

Anyway, I went ahead and forwarded the info to my students' parents. Now I'm thinking I should not get involved.

Do you think it's unprofessional to forward this sort of info?

I'm thinking that I won't do it again. Or at least not for a year. Or parents will think messages from me belong in the spam folder.

Edited by Ann in Kentucky (05/16/13 09:08 PM)

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2083839 - 05/16/13 09:49 PM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
You are just trying to help people and that is, of course, admirable! You want to help folks get pianos sold and into homes of those who need them. Your heart is in the right place.
However, in my opinion, I think people should use craigslist or word-of-mouth referrals in these selling situations. I don't think they should ask or expect their piano teacher to help them sell their pianos. Just my opinion. Teacher could get caught in the middle of a sale situation, or there's the spam folder thing that you mention.
My piano technician knows of many pianos for sale and here's what he does, that I like: if he knows someone who is interested in purchasing a piano, he will check out craigslist for them and/or inform them of pianos for sale from other clients of his. So I'm thinking you could do that same thing; if you know of someone interested in purchasing a piano, then, you could forward info to them if they are interested.

#2083904 - 05/17/13 12:19 AM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Ann, you seem to have a gift for worrying as a piano teacher. Or for beating yourself up without cause. Don't give this forwarding of a piano-for-sale email a second thought.

I'm often considered a resource for people selling pianos. Both because I know a lot about pianos and the piano buy/sell market, and because I have students who might be interested in buying. In short, sometimes people want to use me, either for my knowledge or for my contacts.
Do I let them use me? Sometimes, depending on my mood.

I'm close to Barb's position, in that I would only pass along such info to families I know might be interested in a piano upgrade. And I'd add a disclaimer to any forwarded email that I haven't tried this piano myself, and I don't know the owner, and that any piano should be assessed by a piano tech before one buys privately.

If you personalize the email with a couple of sentences, and don't such a forward often, it's hardly spam. Instead I'd view it as a piano teacher connected to her community.

Edited by Peter K. Mose (05/17/13 12:22 AM)

#2083905 - 05/17/13 12:20 AM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky
Do you think it's unprofessional to forward this sort of info?

Hi Ann,

Thinking about your question, it might be sort of questionable to BROADCAST (electronically) that a piano is for sale. I am not so concerned about your communications being considered "a brand of canned meat", as the IMPLICATION of APPROVAL (maybe even RECOMMENDATION) of the instrument.

Barb probably has the best idea - TALKING to someone, one-on-one, about an instrument that they might be interested in, with the disclaimer that you have little first-hand knowledge of the piano itself.

My 2ยข.
Ed

#2083941 - 05/17/13 01:55 AM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
The only issue that I could see as a tiny bit 'worrying' would be if the potential buyers would assume that you're endorsing this piano somehow... If it is so and they are not happy with the item they (may have) bought, then they could have a problem against you for endorsing it.

If it is clear that you're just passing on the info and nothing else, then there's absolutely no problem for me!

#2084016 - 05/17/13 06:28 AM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've selectively forwarded such information, when I know it to be a good piano. I've helped lots of my families find decent instruments for their use...even some free ones!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#2084038 - 05/17/13 07:46 AM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thank you, friends, for your responses. I can see now that I at least should have added in my message that I have not seen the piano and don't know the seller...spell out that I am not endorsing the instrument.

I think in the future, I'll take the time to selectively forward info. Instead of the easy way of just sending it to my group "piano students".

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#2084042 - 05/17/13 07:56 AM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
You can send a follow-up email saying that you have never played the piano and any used instrument should be checked out by a good piano technician prior to purchase.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2084045 - 05/17/13 07:58 AM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: Morodiene]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
You can send a follow-up email saying that you have never played the piano and any used instrument should be checked out by a good piano technician prior to purchase.

Thank you Morodiene for your suggestion. This I can do easily. I'll be sending a reminder of an upcoming break and I can add this to the message.

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#2084116 - 05/17/13 11:10 AM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Ann, tell your students hi from us here on PW.

#2084137 - 05/17/13 11:51 AM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Just my thoughts on this, but if I knew of a piano for sale, and also had students/parents, in the market for such a piano, I would contact only those that I thought might be interested, (with the appropriate disclaimer.)

A mass mailing might imply that I was acting as an agent for the seller, and receiving a commission.

#2084223 - 05/17/13 02:56 PM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
Ann, tell your students hi from us here on PW.

laugh

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#2084226 - 05/17/13 02:57 PM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: R0B]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: R0B
Just my thoughts on this, but if I knew of a piano for sale, and also had students/parents, in the market for such a piano, I would contact only those that I thought might be interested, (with the appropriate disclaimer.)

A mass mailing might imply that I was acting as an agent for the seller, and receiving a commission.

Yeah. No more mass mailings for me. After I did it, I had misgivings, and you folks here have helped me look at the issues involved.

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#2086569 - 05/22/13 03:32 AM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: R0B]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: R0B

+1.

If I were a parent looking for a piano, the message would _not_ be spam -- it would be helpful.

But if I weren't in the market, it would be (a very mild kind of) spam.

So the trick is to keep an e-mail list of people who want to buy pianos, and send such meesages to them -- and only to them. [This means work for you; you may not want to bother.]

And include a disclaimer: "I haven't evaluated the piano, and I have no financial interest in its sale." That way, everybody understands that you are not "involved".

. Charles

#2086999 - 05/22/13 07:32 PM Re: forward piano sale info or not? [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
The Monkeys Online   content

Loc: Vancouver BC
It all depends on how often you do it, if it is only once every few months, nothing to worry about. As a parent I won't see it as a spam even if I am not actively looking for a piano, it is still piano related.

Yes, a disclaimer would be necessary if you have no financial interest in it.

Edited by The Monkeys (05/22/13 07:33 PM)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, 36251, ajames, Aibohphobia, 45 invisible), 1865 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156064 Topics
2291736 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
Today at 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
Today at 01:31 PM
Stephen Hough - Advice for talented piano students
by fnork
Today at 12:58 PM
Getting started with MIDI: One question.
by 90SITA
Today at 12:46 PM
Remembering what to play
by kipale
Today at 11:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission