2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 207 1 2 3 4 5 206 207
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
....I don't think the first two Waltzes really allow the contestant to show much artistry, so substituting more significant Lyric Piece(s) would have been better.

thumb thumb thumb

The only way I can understand where youse guys are coming from is that either in general you don't value rhythms as much as I do (very possible, since I value them very highly), or (probably doubtful) you don't realize how much performances of such pieces depend on the player's flair, subtlety, and creativity with rhythm. Maybe try this: Just imagine playing the pieces with no flair or lilt -- like, basically metronomically -- and compare it to some good performances that you can find online -- and see if you still think what you just said.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow, the competition hasn't even started yet and the heated discussions/controversies have already begun. This should be fun.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
Originally Posted by DameMyra
Wow, the competition hasn't even started yet and the heated discussions/controversies have already begun. This should be fun.

No good!
You have to take sides. ha

Originally Posted by Mark_C
The only way I can understand where youse guys are coming from is that either in general you don't value rhythms as much as I do (very possible, since I value them very highly), or (probably doubtful) you don't realize how much performances of such pieces depend on the player's flair, subtlety, and creativity with rhythm. Maybe try this: Just imagine playing the pieces with no flair or lilt -- like, basically metronomically -- and compare it to some good performances that you can find online -- and see if you still think what you just said.
As you do so often, you assume your point of view is correct, and act shocked that anyone could disagree. I don't think the first two waltzes allow much creativity, flair, or anything else. I think he just chose them because he wanted to make that little segment unified in some way other than just choosing several more random Lyric Pieces.

I listened to Rachmaninov playing the a minor Waltz. He didn't play it metronomically but OTOH I don't see how anyone could think "What a great and musical performance. He had such great insight and ideas in that little piece."

H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
Another Liszt performance from the QEC.
Stunning!

http://www.qeimc.be/cgi?usr=cvm2sm4...ecorig1648&id=5496&flux=65325996

As you do so often, you assume your point of view is correct, and act shocked that anyone could disagree.

No. smile

Let me talk about what I know -- I mean facts -- and then about what's "points of view."

What I know: There are endless ways to play these "simple" pieces, even just in terms of rhythms. The spectrum of such possibilities spans an extremely great range of talent and skill, ranging from just "OK" performances (not to mention bad), like what would be shown by most 2nd year students, as referred to in that earlier post, and all the way through good, very good, and above. And further, within each of those levels, what the performer does shows a lot about his/her musical personality. And all of that is of interest for a competition.

As for points of view: You may not feel those things are important, although to tell you the truth I don't see how you couldn't (and yes, that's a point of view). smile

As you do so often, you assume your point of view is correct, and act shocked that anyone could disagree.

No. smile

Let me talk about what I know -- I mean facts -- and then about what's "points of view."

What I know: There are endless ways to play these "simple" pieces, even just in terms of rhythms. The spectrum of such possibilities spans an extremely great range of talent and skill, ranging from just "OK" performances (not to mention bad), like what would be shown by most 2nd year students, as referred to in that earlier post, and all the way through good, very good, and above. And further, within each of those levels, what the performer does shows a lot about his/her musical personality. And all of that is of interest for a competition.

As for points of view: You may not feel those things are important, although to tell you the truth I don't see how you couldn't (and yes, that's a point of view). smile
Mind bogglingly arrogant.

Again, you assume what is just your opinion(calling it "what I know") is fact. Then more arrogance and a put down with the "You may not feel those things are important" part which only makes sense if the first part(your opinion) is true.

Then(again!) the usual shock("I don't see how you couldn't") that someone might not agree with you.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

PL and Mark -

As is usually the case gentlemen, you BOTH have valid arguments !!!! grin

Ultimately, the programming choice will either work for or against the contestant - even if he plays all three waltzes extremely well. Given the difficulty of everything else he's programmed, and the brevity of the first two of the three waltzes, in the great scheme of things this may not be a big deal. And just because it is a Grieg "Lyric Piece", there is absolutely nothing lightweight about the Opus 47 No. 1.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Ultimately, the programming choice will either work for or against the contestant

He gets points from me just by not programming Chopin. grin

Online Content

Originally Posted by Damon

Ultimately, the programming choice will either work for or against the contestant

He gets points from me just by not programming Chopin. grin

And he loses points from me for not programming Brahms !!! grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I have disqualified Yekwon Sunwoo. wink

Grieg is one of my favorite composer so he gets extra bonus points from me.

Anyways, I have never been told by any of my teachers that playing extremely difficult pieces will get me better points. They said properly preparing the pieces and performing well is always better.

Charles Peck (American)--Metropolitan
Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces

Online Content

Some observations.......

Hard to believe that Jury Chairman John Giordano has been involved with the Cliburn since 1973. He certainly carved out a wonderful career for himself in Fort Worth.

In looking at the US schools/conservatories attended by the contestants....Juilliard and Curtis are heavily represented. Other schools included in the mix are the Boston Conservatory (2), New England Conservatory (1), TCU (2 - no surprise there), Yale (1), Peabody (1), Indiana University/South Bend (1) and Principia College (1).

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
....[this that and the other, but nothing about the substance]....
grin

Do you have anything to say about the substance of what we were discussing? Do you really want to say that any of those specifics I stated aren't so? Which ones? I welcome you to give it a try. The "it's just your opinion" stuff that you love so much doesn't apply to everything, you know.

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Not to backtrack the conversation to Grieg, but I have to say that the only servicing the other end of the spectrum is probably a worse idea than a few delicacies, e.g.:

Preliminary Recital, Phase I
LISZT Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9
MUSSORGSKY Pictures at an Exhibition

Preliminary Recital, Phase II
WAGNER-LISZT Isoldens Liebestod
BRAHMS Sonata No. 3 in F Minor, op. 5

Semifinal Recital
THEOFANIDIS Birichino
BEETHOVEN Variations and Fugue in E-flat Major, op. 35 ("Eroica")
PROKOFIEV Sonata No. 6 in A Major, op. 82

I love all of those pieces, but that is some truly awful programming, IMO. There's little breadth and such heavy programming really wears down an audience.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brendan
[...] I love all of those pieces, but that is some truly awful programming, IMO. There's little breadth and such heavy programming really wears down an audience.

Exactly! The program itself deserves as much artistic attention as the execution of the individual pieces of which it is comprised. Pacing, flow, texture, dramatic arc, etc., apply to the macro (program) as well as the micro (performance). The program itself should "do" something.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Originally Posted by Brendan
....that is some truly awful programming, IMO. There's little breadth....

Nonsense! -- he includes the Theofanidis Birichino! grin

(Everybody has to include the Theofanidis Birichino.)

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K

Preliminary Recital, Phase I
BACH Toccata in G Minor, BWV 915
SCRIABIN Three Études, op. 65
RAVEL Gaspard de la nuit

Preliminary Recital, Phase II
BEETHOVEN Sonata No. 32 in C Minor, op. 111
LIGETI Étude VI: Automne à Varsovie
GRIEG Waltz in A Minor, op. 12, no. 2
Waltz in E Minor, op. 38, no. 7
Valse-impromptu in E Minor, op. 47, no. 1
LISZT Mephisto Waltz No. 1

I feel like if he took out the Grieg, he'd be left playing only the most ridiculous ball-busters in the entire repertoire. Seriously?! Gaspard + the op.65 etudes in one recital, then Op.111 followed by the Ligeti and Mephisto Waltz in another?

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

If that's the case, there are still thousands upon thousands of pieces more worthy to be programmed AND STILL BE effective at showing all that "musical personality."

Obviously, you belong to the camp that believes one can program anything and everything he/she wants, even for an international competition of such caliber. Fine. That's your stance. My stance remains that the Grieg was programmed for shock value, which may engender more than a few chuckles from the audience when the said repertoire's difficulty cliff becomes so apparent and appalling.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
For somebody to pick something so blatantly easy, it's bordering on mocking the entire competition itself.

And is there something wrong with that? IMO, competition mocking is a great idea, and competitors should do it at every opportunity (especially if Darth Veda is on the jury and you aren't one of her students).

Page 3 of 207 1 2 3 4 5 206 207

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission