Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2084694 - 05/18/13 11:21 AM alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why?
gnossie Offline

I have seen this in several reputable technique books. What the hey? I can't discern any difference in the sounds, and going from 5 4 3 2 seems a lot more complicated than simply playing 2 repeatedly.

Piano books pass over this in silence, as if it's obvious why one should do it.

What's the rationale?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2084709 - 05/18/13 11:35 AM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: gnossie
I have seen this in several reputable technique books. What the hey? I can't discern any difference in the sounds, and going from 5 4 3 2 seems a lot more complicated than simply playing 2 repeatedly.

What's the rationale?

Unless you have some freaky innate talent, alternating fingers allows for faster repetition. It also helps facilitate fingering for what comes after.

#2084719 - 05/18/13 12:03 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Damon's right. Also, it really does sound different - more even and clearer.

Deborah

#2084732 - 05/18/13 12:27 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

going from 5 4 3 2 seems a lot more complicated than simply playing 2 repeatedly.

There's no real reason why you have to change fingers, if you find it easier to play with the same finger. Harpsichordists, for instance, prefer to play the repeated notes of Scarlatti's Sonata Kk141 with the same finger, but pianists invariably prefer to change fingers - not just because the latter tend to pay it markedly faster, but also because the key action of the piano mechanism allows for it (repeating the note well before the key has rebounded back). But then, in some pieces like Samuel Goldenberg & Schmu├┐le from Mussorgsky's Pictures, some pianists prefer to play the repeated notes with the same finger. And in others like Ravel's Ondine, you have to play fast repeated notes with the same pinky in the RH ostinato figure (not to mention fast repeated chords with the same three fingers...)

Once you play beyond a certain speed, you'll likely find it easier to repeat fast notes with alternating fingers, whenever possible. And above a certain speed, it's next to impossible using the same finger......

#2084733 - 05/18/13 12:31 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC

What's the rationale?

Changing fingers on repeated notes becomes more important as the tempo increases, and these are the most frequent instances where change of fingers is recommended. A simple test should prove that fairly conclusively: try playing a group of repeated notes with 2 as quickly as you can and either the muscles/tendons tense and you begin to tire or the repetition of notes becomes uneven. Then try playing the same group of repeated notes with a change of fingers - it doesn't have to be 5, 4, 3, 2, it can be 4, 3, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2 - and you should see that you are able to maintain repeated notes with more even, clearer articulation.

As others have indicated, often a change of fingering on one note is required for what comes after. Even in slower passages the changing of fingers on a single note gives for better control of expressive sound because the weight required to produce good tone can be transferred from one finger to the other rather than being applied to one finger, released and re-applied.

Regards,

#2084773 - 05/18/13 01:42 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: BruceD]
Goof Offline

Loc: UK
I do not see 1-3-2 as a sequence ; it is best for me but I'm no expert. 1-3-2 was shown to me by a friend about 60yrs back!
Is there any reason why the thumb should not be used?

#2084801 - 05/18/13 02:53 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: Goof]
BruceD Offline

Originally Posted By: Goof
I do not see 1-3-2 as a sequence ; it is best for me but I'm no expert. 1-3-2 was shown to me by a friend about 60yrs back!
Is there any reason why the thumb should not be used?

I see no reason why the thumb should not be used as one of the alternating fingers if it facilitates the execution of the passage in question.

Regards,

#2084806 - 05/18/13 02:59 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
BruceD Offline

What's the rationale?

Perhaps this video will be more convincing than any text. It would be impossible to play this without changing fingers on the repeated notes, as portions of the video surely prove :

Scarlatti, K.141

Regards,

#2084827 - 05/18/13 03:55 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: BruceD]
5000 Post Club Member

....and here is a harpsichordist playing the same piece, markedly slower, but because of the innate clangy sound of the instrument (like "two skeletons copulating on a tin roof in a thunderstorm" - Sir Thomas Beecham grin), sounds very fast.

http://youtu.be/HLuYLN_k4lA

Note the woodpecker movement of the stiffened fingers shaped like a beak...... wink

Edited by bennevis (05/18/13 04:12 PM)
Edit Reason: Beecham's witticism added

#2085011 - 05/19/13 01:07 AM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
In addition to being able to play faster, it is also easier to control your volume. The more you tend to use the same finger, the louder it tends to become.

#2085098 - 05/19/13 07:36 AM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: bennevis]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: bennevis
....like "two skeletons copulating on a tin roof in a thunderstorm" - Sir Thomas Beecham
LOL! Accurate for some harpsichords I've heard. thumb
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2085231 - 05/19/13 01:59 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Alkan sometimes has the pianist alternate hands on fast repeated notes, which I guess has its own benefits and problems.

Lisitsa uses the same finger (well...she clumps her fingers into a beak when she does this) to play the repeated D#s at the beginning of Scarbo, and it seems to work pretty well for her.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2085284 - 05/19/13 03:36 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...

What's the rationale?

Slow repeated notes? One usually never needs to do that. Just use the same finger. I've never understood any "rationale" for it. smile

Edited by Orange Soda King (05/19/13 03:36 PM)

#2085345 - 05/19/13 05:22 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Strange topic. To be honest, I completely don't understand how you can play repeted notes by one or two fingers. It's so unnatural. My favorit way to play repeted note is pattern 4-1, so the hand is in it's most natural position and totally relaxed and the only speed limitation is piano action.

Of course, if there is no way to play it by more than 2 fingers it's another story.

#2085603 - 05/20/13 07:21 AM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
As in many things in music, at slower tempos it doesn't really matter what you do. The problem is when it comes to faster tempos.

It just makes good sense to develop good habits at slow tempos.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2085727 - 05/20/13 12:00 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
From a pedagogical standpoint, the use of different fingers promotes a free arm and wrist. Using a single finger for repeated notes requires an angular up-and-down motion, whereas using different fingers involves the whole playing mechanism.

Also, when people have trouble using multiple fingers, it's almost always because there's some kind of tension hindering the playing mechanism.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2086029 - 05/20/13 09:54 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Thanks for posting those performances. What a treat! Both of them!!

#2086031 - 05/20/13 09:56 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: dynamobt]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: dynamobt
Thanks for posting those performances. What a treat! Both of them!!

You might try using the quote function, or at least pointing out the posters whose posts you're referring to. After all, they posted several days and ten posts before you. wink

Polyphonist

#2086107 - 05/21/13 03:36 AM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
It sounds better (in particular clearer) with different fingers.
Just try both. If you pay attention you will notice the difference.

Music is my best friend.

#2086188 - 05/21/13 09:57 AM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: ChopinAddict]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

This may be problematic. For someone with technical problems, using the same finger is easier and sounds better.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2086220 - 05/21/13 11:13 AM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Are we still talking about fast notes or slow notes?

#2086257 - 05/21/13 01:36 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: Kreisler]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Kreisler

This may be problematic. For someone with technical problems, using the same finger is easier and sounds better.

That same person may be inclined to play a melody with one finger.

#2086261 - 05/21/13 01:44 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: Damon]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon

Like this pianist? grin

http://youtu.be/rVUGtSl3Z0U

He played most of the repeated notes of the melody with the same finger or thumb, except when he needed to shift his hand position.....

(P.S. Tried to show Horowitz's video of the same, but link didn't work)

Edited by bennevis (05/21/13 01:59 PM)
Edit Reason: Horowitz's video switched to Zimerman's

#2086413 - 05/21/13 07:02 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: Damon]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon
Originally Posted By: Kreisler

There are also people who type with one finger!

Music is my best friend.

#2086423 - 05/21/13 07:24 PM Re: alternating fingers on the same repeated note. why? [Re: gnossie]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I just remembered this video I watched some time ago.

Music is my best friend.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
That awkward non-playing hand...
by TX-Bluebonnet
19 minutes 33 seconds ago
New Kawai CE220
by Dr John 48
Today at 09:23 AM
Piano covers
by Jamie
Today at 08:51 AM
Yamaha U3
by RGibson
Today at 06:58 AM
VPC1 Order Cancelled
by EmptySpace
Today at 06:16 AM
Who's Online
151 registered (255, accordeur, albumblatter, ajames, 46 invisible), 1441 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76219 Members
42 Forums
157559 Topics
2314291 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission