Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2084756 - 05/18/13 01:12 PM Yamaha Clavinova PF P-100 - what's the action like?
folkpianoman Offline

Hi all –

I’m seeking thoughts on the Yamaha P-100 keyboard (full name: Yamaha Clavinova PF P-100) – and in particular, would like feedback on the action, and the sound.

I know this keyboard came out in the early 1990s. I’m not looking to buy (I am very happy with the Yamaha P-140 I bought in 2005 – very good action, excellent sound, around 37 pounds, no problems in all those years) – but I am flying to some gigs on the opposite coast of the country for which the sound man has said he can provide his Yamaha P-100...hence my questions about it.

1) I can’t determine whether the keys are actually weighted (like a piano’s keys are), or merely touch-sensitive (i.e. the key feels the same no matter how hard you press, but you can vary the volume of the notes). The manual says it’s a “touch-sensitive keyboard. The P-100's full-sized 88-note piano keyboard incorporates Yamaha's Action Effect keyboard technology, which gives it the feel and response of a real piano keyboard. You can even adjust the keyboard's sensitivity to suit your playing style, selecting from Normal, Soft, Hard, or Fixed settings.” To me, this suggests that the keys are not actually weighted – but I would think that the language surrounding these matters may have evolved over the past two decades, so am not positive. Any insights, from owners of the keyboard, or Yamaha aficionados/historians/experts/dealers?

2) The manual I found online describes wonderful sound quality (I’m looking for a realistic piano sound), etc. though YouTube videos I’ve watched suggest okay, but not great sound. This wouldn’t necessarily be a huge deal, as I could bring a midi tone-generator box, but any feedback on this question would be very welcome, too!

Thank you very, very much for your help and insight!

Eric

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2084763 - 05/18/13 01:24 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova PF P-100 - what's the action like? [Re: folkpianoman]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi Eric

The AE key action is okay. Not graded but certainly weighted and somewhat piano-like. It was the standard Yamaha digital piano action for many years on several generations of their products. Korg used exactly the same action for some of their DPs for a few years. There can't be much doubting that the AE action is inferior to modern DP actions but it is perfectly useable. I'm dredging back through my memory and years ago went to an AE equipped Korg SG-ProX stage piano from a Roland RD-600 and remember thinking the Korg was lighter and had a generally softer feel. The Roland was more percussive and agile but heavier. Like I say, it was a long time ago...

Sound wise I think you've summed it up yourself - okay but not great. Great in its day of course. But just okay now. Sometimes though these things are more than the sum of the parts and sometimes things just work. The earlier Yamaha stage type pianos were well regarded and very successful so I don't think there's anything to fear so long as it's all in good working order.

Good luck,

Steve

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (Anne'sson, anotherscott, ajames, 50 invisible), 1716 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75596 Members
42 Forums
156306 Topics
2295619 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason & Hamlin BB with Live Performance
by eugene_bb
Today at 12:50 PM
Temperament and Western Music Common Intervals
by prout
Today at 12:44 PM
P80 for 150
by LarryShone
Today at 11:26 AM
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
Today at 08:03 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission