Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2084641 - 05/18/13 09:54 AM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: MaggieGirl]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I was in a Distar classroom once during an internship.

They started the day by screaming the rules at the top of their lungs.

They seemed to really get into the spirit of it, too, like being at a pep rally.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2084662 - 05/18/13 10:23 AM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Brinestone Offline

Okay, the copy editor in me feels compelled to edit your original list, ezpiano. I hope that's not annoying, but if you're going to show this to your students and their parents, you want it clean.

1. No whining.
2. No saying, "I can't."
3. No rudeness, no swearing, and no defensiveness. Treat your teacher with respect.
4. No banging on the piano. When the piano lid is closed, no elbows on the piano.
5. Be quiet, keep your hands in your lap, and pay attention when I'm talking.
6. It's okay to not be perfect. Have a good attitude about your mistakes. They are an essential part of learning.
7. Bring your notebook, theory book, and all piano books to every lesson.
8. If you haven't practiced, tell your teacher at the beginning of your lesson. Then we can do something else rather than going through your songs.
9. Be open. Be willing to change. Even if you think your way is better or it's too hard to do something different, give my suggestions a try. Some things just take time.
10. Have fun! Making music is exciting.

I incorporated "no defensiveness" into your #3, added a new #5 according to another suggestion because I thought it was important, added #10 to keep the positivity up, deleted some of the more bitter-sounding wording or flipped wording around to make it more positive, and corrected some grammatical and punctuation errors.

Feel free to use or not use this as you will.

#2084697 - 05/18/13 11:23 AM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Saranoya Offline

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Someone asked for a teacher list. I like Malkin's list:

Originally Posted By: Malkin

Pay attention.
Provide specific and concrete instructions.
Set realistic expectations.
Acknowledge both effort and progress.
Maintain perspective and laugh sometimes.

I'd just add one more: respect your student's goals.

I took lessons as a fifteen-year-old with a Russian lady who was a very good pianist, but who also only really wanted to teach future concert pianists (or at least those who had the ambition to some day go to conservatory). It shone through in the way she taught the rest of us, in that she was incapable of recognising that a *small* step forward is a step forward nonetheless.

You will get along easily with a great many of your students, if you can accept the fact that not all of them will take the same path you did in your piano education, and even among those who do, not all of them will get to the same destination -- nor will they all want to get there.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56
Rameau Gavotte in a with variations

#2084737 - 05/18/13 12:40 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: ezpiano.org]
BrainCramp Offline

Loc: USA
As an adult piano learner, I have one to add to the teachers' list:

1. Whatever the student/parent says/doesn't say or does/doesn't do, don't take it personally.

Reading this forum, I think piano teachers let themselves get bent out of shape much too easily.

#2084813 - 05/18/13 03:29 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: BrainCramp]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: BrainCramp
As an adult piano learner, I have one to add to the teachers' list:

1. Whatever the student/parent says/doesn't say or does/doesn't do, don't take it personally.

Reading this forum, I think piano teachers let themselves get bent out of shape much too easily.
We are passionate about what we do, and emotional people by nature- thus why we are musicians. I would say about 80% of the stuff we post on here is to vent and learn how to work through, deal with, find solutions for, etc. And most of it the student or parents don't see or have to deal with. Everyone needs an outlet and a place where constructive criticism can be received to improve oneself. So please do not take this forum, which is intended and used as this purpose to mean that we're always losing our tempers, flying off the handle, taking everything personally, etc. It just means we want to do our best for each student. smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2084828 - 05/18/13 03:56 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: ezpiano.org]
ezpiano.org Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Originally Posted By: M
We are passionate about what we do, and emotional people by nature- thus why we are musicians. I would say about 80% of the stuff we post on here is to vent and learn how to work through, deal with, find solutions for, etc. And most of it the student or parents don't see or have to deal with. Everyone needs an outlet and a place where constructive criticism can be received to improve oneself. So please do not take this forum, which is intended and used as this purpose to mean that we're always losing our tempers, flying off the handle, taking everything personally, etc. It just means we want to do our best for each student.

thumb thumb

Please, if your suggestions or advice cannot be constructive, please refrain yourself to post here. Thanks
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2084833 - 05/18/13 04:04 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I find the concept of a comprehensive rules list for piano student behavior somewhere between laughable and distasteful.
Not a good way to build a teaching relationship.

There are no rules in my studio, except maybe to show up on time and with music.

Edited by Peter K. Mose (05/18/13 04:08 PM)

#2084841 - 05/18/13 04:31 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
I find the concept of a comprehensive rules list for piano student behavior somewhere between laughable and distasteful.
Not a good way to build a teaching relationship.

There are no rules in my studio, except maybe to show up on time and with music.

Peter, for the most part, I've been horrified by the various lists posted here. Is this really what teaching is about?

#2084855 - 05/18/13 05:09 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Brinestone Offline

*shrug* There are lots of good ways to be a good teacher. I don't have rules, myself, and with a few exceptions, I haven't had problems with student behavior either. If having a list of rules helps someone, I don't see why they shouldn't use it. Horrified sounds a little harsh, don't you think? Lots of classrooms have lists of rules. Kids often thrive knowing exactly where their limits are. Quickly going over them doesn't take much time away from real teaching, and it might (that's might, not will) make a difference in student behavior.

#2084900 - 05/18/13 07:55 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
If I have a student who is in need of specific boundaries (I don't at the moment), then having rules for that student that are fair, not too long, and they are reminded of regularly is a good strategy. I'm thinking of attention deficit and similar issues where having rules gives the child comfort so they can calm down a bit. Global rules I would only give if I were teaching a class, personally.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2084914 - 05/18/13 08:14 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: ezpiano.org]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
Among the suggestions, these are the ones that I find the most effective, which are excellent combined:

1) Follow directions the first time given
2) Be prepared for each lesson (AZNpiano)

Sit quietly
Eyes on
Listen
Hands down (Joycedup1)

AZN's first rule tells the student what to do in the studio, and the second rule tells the student what to do at home. What Joycedup1 writes gives us an example of directions that can be followed, because they are simple, short, concrete and direct. If the student has "hands down" and listens, then he will hear the instruction, and can then follow them.
--------------------
The first list in the OP is full of negatives, vague, confusing, and hard to follow. If told "Don't think of pink elephants." you can't stop thinking of them. What TO do is always more effective. "Whine", "rude", "defensive", "respect", "perfectionist", "attitude" "be open" are all abstract things, and some such as anti-perfectionism are confusing.

--------------------
What can the teacher do? (A question that was asked) If we take the top list, if you want to be followed, then make sure you can be followed. Are your instructions clear, easy to understand, and short enough? Do you give too much information in one longish lecture that can't be retained? If your student doesn't understand, is he free to let you know? If you want him to come to lessons prepared, does he know what to practice, and how to practice it? That's preventive. I also agree both with AZN's rule setting and consequences, and Morodiene's supportiveness.

Edited by keystring (05/18/13 08:22 PM)
Edit Reason: clarified 2nd par.

#2084917 - 05/18/13 08:22 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: keystring]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: keystring
Do you give too much information in one longish lecture that can't be retained?

That's probably the most common mistake I see with teachers of any subject, not just music. They keep talking after the point is made, and lose the student.

That would be negated if they were really paying attention to the student and what he/she is taking in. But often when you're talking you're listening to yourself, rather than the other person.

#2084924 - 05/18/13 08:32 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: ezpiano.org]
ezpiano.org Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Originally Posted By: KS
The first list in the OP is full of negatives, vague, confusing, and hard to follow.

When I came out with my first list, to be honest, I have more than 100 of them. I still did not share my whole list. I will be embarrassed to share the whole list with you and believe me, it is a very laughable one. I was brainstorming what I want to include in studio policy.

I think to play safe, I can include ten in my list for studio policy and only two main one during lesson time (following direction first time given, and be prepared for lesson)

===========================================================
What would you include in your list if you have ten things to say in your studio policy regards student's attitude?
===========================================================

For the two main points:
1. Follow direction first time given
2. Prepared for lesson

I will type it out and laminate to put on wall for these two points.

Wow, thank you folks for so helping!
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2084933 - 05/18/13 08:51 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: ezpiano.org]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Telling people what not to do has proven relatively ineffective. However, explaining why we don't do something often helps. For example, on occasions a student will come to their lessons chonking on a humongous wad of gum. I will make a passing comment that musicians don't chew gum, not only because it looks ridiculous, but when we get excited about our music, we often hold our breath, then gasp for air. With something in our mouth, choking often occurs. And I really don't want to call 911 and send them off to the hospital (or worse). Students are fairly bright and usually get the point without further ado.

#2085060 - 05/19/13 05:43 AM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: MaggieGirl]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: MaggieGirl
Public school. There is nothing objectionable with any of the code. They say it after the pledge (which is more objectionable since it mentions G-d). Why would a recitation be surprising? Her teacher works on character, the class is a family -we may not "like each other all the time" but since we are family we respect each other as well as social skills in addition to academics, physical education and music.

Of course there's nothing objectionable with the code, but it's the source of the code that's somewhat dubious, and to shove them down every kid's throat every morning as if they were The Ten Commandments is a little disconcerting.

#2085061 - 05/19/13 05:46 AM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose

A laundry list of rules might not be effective or even mildly desirable, but I wouldn't characterize it as "laughable and distasteful." That's condescending toward the teacher.

Peter--I'm surprised by your word choice, considering how long you've been teaching!

#2085753 - 05/20/13 01:06 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: ezpiano.org]
MaggieGirl Offline

I suppose you would have to see it in action. The class is really a family. All different ethnicities, backgrounds, cultural differences and perspectives, economically different, kids without parents, with single parents, and 2 parent families. The code is an equalizer and I think of it as a bucket filler. A child might not feel one or more of those items, but saying it daily might help them begin to believe they are all of those qualities.

But for a piano teacher they see 30 minutes a day, maybe something shorter -

I am prepared to learn.

Then the teacher can write notes like, Johnny was not prepared to learn. He did not practice efficiently this week so in class we could only review. Next week Johnny needs to be prepared to learn.

Johnny was not prepared to learn. In class he was disrespectful. Please talk to Johnny about arriving prepared to learn next week.

Johnny was prepared to learn this week. He passed 2 pieces and earned a new piece. Way to go!

#2085796 - 05/20/13 02:30 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
How about if the teacher writes in Johnny's notebook...

"I'm sorry that I was not prepared to teach Johnny effectively today. I will strive to reach him better next week, since he's a good guy who wants to soak up music."

#2085822 - 05/20/13 03:14 PM Re: Students' attitude list?? [Re: ezpiano.org]
MaggieGirl Offline

That works too! laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (Almaviva, Adam Coleman, accordeur, 55 invisible), 1587 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153613 Topics
2251369 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
Home speakers for RD700NX: need help!
by PoleStar
04/20/14 05:32 PM
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
How did YOU get started on software pianos?
by doremi
04/20/14 03:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission