Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2081088 - 05/11/13 11:12 PM My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench!
shaolin95 Offline

Hello!
I finally was able to get bench that matches my piano much better than the black one.
I wanted a step up in quality, looks and just to match the piano finish.
Thanks to my good friend Minnesota Marty , I got exactly what I wanted.
I almost went with a cheaper one but I am glad I did not.
This is not an expensive bench compared to other "high end" ones but I feel is a great alternative for people that want something better than entry level yet do not want to jump into a very expensive one.
I cannot say anything about how long it will last but at least I am impressed with what I see so far.
In normal living room lightning, the colors look closer than when the flash hits it.

Pros:
*Looks great!

*Feels solid and well built.

*Affordable.

*Easy to put together.

*Very comfortable (that part I was not even considering)

*No noises at all (thanks to Marty's tips on that!)

*The height is just about perfect and I love that I dont get the horrible look of mine when it is adjusted showing all the metal parts.

Cons:

*No Storage place..that was sad smirk

So, it gets my seal of approval if anyone wants to try it!
And of course...now follows my usual photo show laugh
Thanks!

Edited by shaolin95 (05/12/13 02:14 PM)

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2081136 - 05/12/13 01:03 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, Virginia
It looks very nice, Shaolin. It matches your piano's color quite closely.

By the way, what is the make and model of your grand? I've never seen a piano in that burgundy/chocolate color before.

#2081138 - 05/12/13 01:11 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
shaolin95 Offline

It is a Young Chang Y185 and is it is Red Mahogany but it is very dark and I love it..just not easy to find close matches to it. smile
Thanks!

#2081238 - 05/12/13 07:52 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Wow, and wow! What a gorgeous setting you have made for yourself, shaolin. Well done!

The new bench looks beautiful and comfy. Where did you get it? The bench that came with my Kawai CP209 is okay but when I lean too far to the treble, it gives a decided, *grooaan*! (Probably bearing too much weight. blush ) Very annoying, and usually breaks my concentration and "mood".

A tired dog is a good dog.

#2081250 - 05/12/13 08:19 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Greetings,
Looks good, but the pictures that really tell the story are of the underside. Why not flip it over and show us what the mechanism looks like?
Regards,

Edited by Ed Foote (05/12/13 08:20 AM)

#2081322 - 05/12/13 10:56 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Shaolin,

How are the auralex tiles working out? I would have put them closer to ear level when you're sitting at the piano but that's a small difference. Did you do anything to the BIG wall on the other side of the railing?

Kurt

#2081366 - 05/12/13 12:19 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: KurtZ]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: PattyP
Wow, and wow! What a gorgeous setting you have made for yourself, shaolin. Well done!

The new bench looks beautiful and comfy. Where did you get it? The bench that came with my Kawai CP209 is okay but when I lean too far to the treble, it gives a decided, *grooaan*! (Probably bearing too much weight. blush ) Very annoying, and usually breaks my concentration and "mood".

I got it from here:
Bench Link

Thanks a lot for the kind words and yes, it makes me feel more relax when playing now.

Originally Posted By: Ed Foote
Greetings,
Looks good, but the pictures that really tell the story are of the underside. Why not flip it over and show us what the mechanism looks like?
Regards,

Sure, I will add a picture shortly.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: KurtZ
Shaolin,

How are the auralex tiles working out? I would have put them closer to ear level when you're sitting at the piano but that's a small difference. Did you do anything to the BIG wall on the other side of the railing?

Kurt

Well I am not sure if those are doing as much since the piano is opening to the other wall. But still, after I added it, I perceived an increase in clarity. Placebo? Who knows. smile
In one of the pictures you can see a black panel on that wall you mentioned..I have 3 of those now. Those are from my HT room and I could hear the difference right away...clearer sound for sure. My plan is to get the same 3 panels but in a better matching color although somehow I am not totally disliking the black.
I will add a pic showing them.

Edited by shaolin95 (05/12/13 12:20 PM)

#2081382 - 05/12/13 01:02 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Nine months ago, I posted in a thread about benches, specifically Jansen. I had just purchased, unboxed, and assembled a Frederick bench which is identical to the one that Shaolin purchased. There was a lot of negative reaction about my choice. Let me add that I own two Jansen benches in addition to the Frederick. The implication was that it was a cheapo and wouldn't hold up.

My butt is on the bench daily for a minimum of four hours. It has been supporting a 6'2" guy who weighs in at 220 lbs. I have absolutely no complaints and have had no problems with it. No squeaks and no clicks. The vinyl shows no wear at all. Since I am the only one playing the piano, the mechanism on the bench hasn't been changed since the initial adjustment, though checking today, it works just fine.

Is it the same quality as a Jansen? No. Does it serve its purpose and look good doing it? Yes. Is a Kawai the same as a Steingraeber? No. Does a Kawai serve it's purpose well? Yes.

I just checked out the Jansen website and found something new listed. Looking very carefully and comparing the specs, it appears to be identical to the Frederick, but sold through Jansen. It is also more expensive that buying direct from Laabs Music.

Here is the quote from the Jansen site:

"We find this adjustable bench to be the best Chinese imported piano bench we've seen. While still not at the quality level of the American made Jansen Artist bench, in the $150-$400 price range, this is the number one bench on the market in our opinion, and we've seen nearly all that are available. In comparison to the other imports, it offers an extra thick and plush cushion, it is a larger bench in terms of it's dimensions, and above all it's a well constructed and attractive piano bench."

http://www.jansenpianobenches.com/concert_adjustablepianobench.html

So Shaolin, Enjoy your new bench and the room is looking great!

Edited by Minnesota Marty (05/13/13 08:43 PM)
Edit Reason: Dumbness when typing

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2081407 - 05/12/13 02:16 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
shaolin95 Offline

Thanks for that information Marty and wow, that bench does look identical to mine but a lot more money for it! Good find smile

I added the picture showing the bench underside and the side panels on my wall as requested.

Regards

#2081634 - 05/13/13 12:01 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
hotcat Offline

Nice! What is the purpose of those things on the wall?

#2081762 - 05/13/13 08:19 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: hotcat]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: hotcat
Nice! What is the purpose of those things on the wall?

Those are acoustic foams (and the panels on the right wall) to control the room sound reflections so I get a clearer sound.

Edited by shaolin95 (05/13/13 08:20 AM)

#2081850 - 05/13/13 11:26 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Keith D Kerman Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty

Here is the quote from the Jansen site:

"We find this adjustable bench to be the best Chinese imported piano bench we've seen. While still not at the quality level of the American made Jansen Artist bench, in the $150-$400 price range, this is the number one bench on the market in our opinion, and we've seen nearly all that are available. In comparison to the other imports, it offers an extra thick and plush cushion, it is a larger bench in terms of it's dimensions, and above all it's a well constructed and attractive piano bench."

http://www.jansenpianobenches.com/concert_adjustablepianobench.html

Hey Marty,

That is not actually the Jansen site. It is a bench retail site. I am about 99.9% certain that the actual Jansen company would not endorse that product.
Here is the Jansen site: http://www.pljansen.com/
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#2081856 - 05/13/13 11:36 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]

How very bizarre!

I'm going to make a few phone calls to see if I can figure this out.

#2081880 - 05/13/13 12:18 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
shaolin95 Offline

Now this got interesting! Lets see what they say now. smile

#2082088 - 05/13/13 08:14 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
...I has been supporting a 6'2" guy who weighs in at 220 lbs

I hope that this is a typo referring to the bench and that you is not supporting that 6'2" guy. The food bill alone would kill you. smile

#2082109 - 05/13/13 08:43 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]

OOPS! - I'll fix that.

#2082161 - 05/13/13 10:39 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
The color's a great match for your (gorgeous) piano! I'd say you did very well indeed. smile

#2082163 - 05/13/13 10:42 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: Monica K.]
shaolin95 Offline

Why thank you very much, Monica!
I am really happy how it is turning out and more to come. smile

#2082511 - 05/14/13 03:38 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, Virginia
How very bizarre!

I'm going to make a few phone calls to see if I can figure this out.

Marty,

I called the Jansen people in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. They don't sell stuff directly to consumers; laymen will have to buy from a Jansen dealer.

That website you are referring to is NOT Jansen's own website. Jansen sells their product to the Jansenpianobench.com website, who then sells it to consumers.

What makes this arrangement REALLY bizarre is that the name "Jansen" appears in the website name, yet the Jansen company does not own the website! This website also sells products that are NOT made by Jansen, yet gives the appearance of Paul Jensen endorsing these non-Jansen products.

#2082529 - 05/14/13 03:59 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]

Almaviva,

That's about what I found out. It seems that the Jansen company is not too bothered by this as the website sells lots of their products. They are very aware of other bench manufactures and didn't speak ill of any of them. They didn't counter the review of the Frederick bench as that was the statement of jansenpianobenches.com.

It all just makes me like my bench more! It's almost like a Mozart opera plot twist! Coloratura, any one?

#2082656 - 05/14/13 08:22 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
Thanks for the review, shaolin! I just added this to my wish list on Amazon (you can add anything to that wish list - sold by Amazon or not) which is the default place my family goes to look for gifts for me!

Now if only my birthday or Christmas were coming up sooner.... wink

#2082667 - 05/14/13 08:46 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: JeanieA]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: JeanieA
Thanks for the review, shaolin! I just added this to my wish list on Amazon (you can add anything to that wish list - sold by Amazon or not) which is the default place my family goes to look for gifts for me!

Now if only my birthday or Christmas were coming up sooner.... wink

You are welcome and I hope someone picks it up for you! smile

#2083708 - 05/16/13 03:01 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
bmbutler Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I have had this same bench for about 6 months and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Very sturdy, but (bad for me) also very heavy. Facing back surgery in July and having to sell it. If you live in Eastern NC, look it up on Craigslist. Hate to part with it, but I will not be able to lift it after surgery and for some time afterward.
Church Musician since 1983

#2083767 - 05/16/13 05:19 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: bmbutler]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: bmbutler
I have had this same bench for about 6 months and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Very sturdy, but (bad for me) also very heavy. Facing back surgery in July and having to sell it. If you live in Eastern NC, look it up on Craigslist. Hate to part with it, but I will not be able to lift it after surgery and for some time afterward.

Just out of curiosity, why are you lifting your piano bench? Mine stays put pretty much all of the time. I might give it a nudge here or there, but no reason to ever lift it off the ground.

#2083774 - 05/16/13 05:33 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
hoola Offline

Loc: LA, USA
My ex-girlfriend's violin is always in the box, I think that it is better for the violin which is much more weather sensitive than the piano.

#2083777 - 05/16/13 05:43 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
nice bench! i want one too laugh

#2083779 - 05/16/13 05:50 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]

They are also available on eBay with an "or best offer" listing. There are a number of color and finish variations to choose from. They are marketed from Jim Laabs Music where Shaolin purchased his bench. Me too.

#2084999 - 05/19/13 12:42 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
I think that in a true comparison, it would be nice to have an inverted view of the Jansen side by side with the Frederick. The engineer in me says that there is a world of difference between the two benches in terms of the mechanism itself. Other than that, wood is wood and vinyl is vinyl. I hope it serves you for a long time.

#2085081 - 05/19/13 06:48 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Your room is looking so nice now, Shaolin. I particularly like the new artwork on the stair walls! ha

made you smile

#2085119 - 05/19/13 09:04 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: lilylady]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: Steven Y. A.
nice bench! i want one too laugh

haha thanks Steven! laugh
Originally Posted By: John Pels
I think that in a true comparison, it would be nice to have an inverted view of the Jansen side by side with the Frederick. The engineer in me says that there is a world of difference between the two benches in terms of the mechanism itself. Other than that, wood is wood and vinyl is vinyl. I hope it serves you for a long time.

Yeah that would be nice to see how it looks. Never seen one of those.

Originally Posted By: lilylady
Your room is looking so nice now, Shaolin. I particularly like the new artwork on the stair walls! ha

made you smile

Thanks, I stole them from my HT room laugh I must get some that match the rest of the decor soon, just wanetd to make sure they made a difference..and yes they do! laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are injuries the result of bad technique or over practicing?
by rov
09/20/14 05:44 PM
Learning M/m Key Areas in minutes: know the patterns!
by A443
09/20/14 05:32 PM
RECORDING ON ELECTRONIC KEYBOARDS vs. REAL PIANOS
by woolmusic
09/20/14 04:49 PM
Pianoteq 5 - no sustain
by David Farley
09/20/14 04:32 PM
Real piano makes star happy, Agree? Disagree?
by Sand Tiger
09/20/14 03:09 PM
Who's Online
125 registered (accordeur, AB99, allakart, 43 invisible), 1409 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157650 Topics
2315613 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission