Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2085063 - 05/19/13 05:51 AM Difficulty of Danse Macabre
Gelike Offline

I really like Liszt's solo arrangament on Danse Macabre, and I would like to learn it for admission next year. The hardest I can play at the moment is Chopin Polonaise op#53 (Heroic) so the question is that I have "the minimal requirments" to learn Danse Macabre? Or forget about it for a while.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2085066 - 05/19/13 06:01 AM Re: Difficulty of Danse Macabre [Re: Gelike]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
The Liszt is quite a bit more difficult than the Chopin. In fact, substantially more difficult. You might want to consult your teacher regarding repertoire selection. He/she will be better suited to provide you with accurate advice.

#2085087 - 05/19/13 07:09 AM Re: Difficulty of Danse Macabre [Re: Gelike]
Immortal Beloved Offline

I've heard the solo version of Totentanz called Liszt's hardest piece.

#2085100 - 05/19/13 07:42 AM Re: Difficulty of Danse Macabre [Re: Immortal Beloved]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Immortal Beloved
I've heard the solo version of Totentanz called Liszt's hardest piece.

It isn't, but that's not the piece under discussion, I don't think.

#2085101 - 05/19/13 07:43 AM Re: Difficulty of Danse Macabre [Re: Gelike]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gelike
I really like Liszt's solo arrangament on Danse Macabre, and I would like to learn it for admission next year. The hardest I can play at the moment is Chopin Polonaise op#53 (Heroic) so the question is that I have "the minimal requirments" to learn Danse Macabre? Or forget about it for a while.

Can't you tell simply by reading through it a few times?

#2085103 - 05/19/13 07:55 AM Re: Difficulty of Danse Macabre [Re: Gelike]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
What are the requirements for admission at the school you're looking at? My thoughts would be the Chopin is a more appropriate choice. Better to choose something that is doable and you can play well than something that's a stretch and you may fall flat on your face. What does your teacher say?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2085104 - 05/19/13 08:00 AM Re: Difficulty of Danse Macabre [Re: Gelike]
Gelike Offline

Saint-Saens's Danse Macabre, not Totentantz. I asked my teacher about this piece, she said it's difficult, but she never played it. I watched the sheet, there was some tricky parts but resolvable with exercising. If you played this piece please tell me what difficulties contain.(sorry for my english i'm from Transilvania)

#2085111 - 05/19/13 08:25 AM Re: Difficulty of Danse Macabre [Re: Gelike]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Saint-Saens's Danse Macabre, not Totentantz. I asked my teacher about this piece, she said it's difficult, but she never played it. I watched the sheet, there was some tricky parts but resolvable with exercising. If you played this piece please tell me what difficulties contain.(sorry for my english i'm from Transilvania)

Your English is fine.

I haven't tried to really learn the piece, but have played through it enough times to be able to say that it is awkward in the peculiar way that orchestral transcriptions can be awkward, even the best of them. Personally, I would not use it for any kind of audition, because of the special nature of orchestral transcriptions. They add extra layers of difficulty that you don't need in that kind of situation. I would use something originally written for piano. But that's just me...others might see it differently.

#2085186 - 05/19/13 12:30 PM Re: Difficulty of Danse Macabre [Re: Gelike]
Gelike Offline

wr you're right. I don't want to go for admission with Chopin. It's very beautiful but becouse of this, is very overplayed. I like more Liszt in character. With my teacher we're very different she's lyrical and i'm more virtuoso type, that's good becouse she's teaching how to play beautiful not only notes but related to repertoire it's hard to choose something good. I watched all youtube vids but if something is cool and sounds good it s awkwardly hard... So any romantic piece ideas somebody?

#2085202 - 05/19/13 01:04 PM Re: Difficulty of Danse Macabre [Re: Gelike]

wr you're right. I don't want to go for admission with Chopin. It's very beautiful but becouse of this, is very overplayed. I like more Liszt in character. With my teacher we're very different she's lyrical and i'm more virtuoso type, that's good becouse she's teaching how to play beautiful not only notes but related to repertoire it's hard to choose something good. I watched all youtube vids but if something is cool and sounds good it s awkwardly hard... So any romantic piece ideas somebody?
You need to look at the requirements for your auditions. I highly doubt they will allow a transcription, as wr says. Also, you're saying Liszt, and not Saint-Seans. Why not ask your teacher to pick a Liszt piece that is similar in character to the Satin-Seans?

#2085204 - 05/19/13 01:06 PM Re: Difficulty of Danse Macabre [Re: Gelike]

One other thought...don't be afraid of picking something that might be a "popular" or overplayed piece. Be more concerned with choosing music that speaks to you, because you will add your own personality to it, and in that sense, the faculty has never heard that rendition of it before.

#2085210 - 05/19/13 01:22 PM Re: Difficulty of Danse Macabre [Re: Gelike]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
I do not know why an audition committee would not allow a virtuoso transcription like this one. They should be more interested in technique than repertoire.

I suggest that you look at the music, and see how much of it you can play without a lot of practice. Then look at the sections that require more practice, and decide how much practice it would take you to play them well. If it still seems reasonable, add on the time you would expect to polish everything, and see if you have adequate time to prepare before you need to play it. Remember to allow time to learn something else if it does not work out.

#2085216 - 05/19/13 01:35 PM Re: Difficulty of Danse Macabre [Re: Gelike]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Before you spend time trying to surmount the difficulties required in learning this piece - and learning to play it well - it might be a good idea to check with whatever admissions board you intend to apply to to determine whether or not a transcription of an orchestral work is an accepted admission piece. While almost all of Liszt's writing tends to fall fairly well into the hand, transcriptions - even Liszt's - of orchestral works present a whole different set of challenges, both technical and interpretive.

Personally, I would tend to gravitate to works that were originally written for piano and that you know you can - or will be able to - play well for the audition. Save the difficult transcriptions of orchestral works for your years of future study.

As for your original question: only you and your teacher know whether or not you will be able to handle this transcription sufficiently well to impress an audition jury. It would seem to me that if you have the technical skills and musical maturity to play the Op 53 Polonaise you surely have sufficient experience and judgment to know whether or not you can successfully handle the Saint-Saens/Liszt.

Regards,

#2085545 - 05/20/13 02:55 AM Re: Difficulty of Danse Macabre [Re: Gelike]
Gelike Offline

Thank you for advices, they helped me to choose a piece for this kind of situation I don't know what will be but I will find a good one.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (accordeur, Alkanaut, A Guy, 43 invisible), 1721 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74213 Members
42 Forums
153523 Topics
2249789 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
04/17/14 10:50 AM
Piano Composition + a Drawing
by leandrobrunapiano
04/17/14 10:50 AM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 09:37 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
04/17/14 09:10 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
04/17/14 09:07 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission