2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Gee Anatoly...that was great for a first. Nice song.

My situation has turned to disaster. Started with computer not recognizing the recorder. Had work done online. Now the Ivory won't work either. Dislike these problems. Weighing choices now.
At least I can run my midi controller. With the Korg Synthesizer.
I also learned some from the recording. I was too much dynamic range. Didn't sound good. Toned it down some. Sounding much better. Interesting how it is easier to criticise when listening to the recording.
I'll get it up someday.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
A
Thanks so much for your kind words, everyone!

I've decided to ask my teacher to help me learn this piece with pedal, and generally improve my playing of it. She'd previously said she thought it's played its part and I should move on, but while I'm sure she knows better what I should be studying, I just like this piece too much and really, really want to polish it, even if I have to find extra time to practice on it. Maybe I'll bring it yet to a monthly thread or a quarterly recital...

Thanks again for your wonderful encouragement,
Anatoly

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Goodness! Everybody is doing such a good job! And what guts. I am impressed. I might have to see if I can muster the courage to post something, even if it's just my scales. I have never recorded myself play anything, let alone for anybody to hear it who isn't in my immediate family, haha!

Great job, everyone!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
Goodness! Everybody is doing such a good job! And what guts. I am impressed. I might have to see if I can muster the courage to post something, even if it's just my scales. I have never recorded myself play anything, let alone for anybody to hear it who isn't in my immediate family, haha!

Great job, everyone!

TwoSnowflakes the purpose of this thread is so you don't have to muster too much courage. It is a safe place for that very first recording even if it is scales (played well I quite enjoy scales......if only I could play them well). So go on give it a crack. I also think it is good to have a recording of yourself (indeed several) to let your future self hear how you have progressed.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
If scales are what you are praticing, and you are proud of the result, Have At It!!!! The trick for me was to get "something" recorded. The hard part was turning the recoder to ON!!! I was just sort of figuing thngs out as I went, and no one was more surprised I had turned the recorder than I was!!! Since that first time it's gotten easier.

So, just record something. Chords! Scales!! Anything!!! It's an accomplishment when you get it done!!!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A
AimeeO Offline OP

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline

500 Post Club Member
A
+1 to what Earolmar and dynamobt said. And you learn soooo much about your playing when you record. I want to hear your scales, TwoSnowflakes smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ha, if the threshold is something I'm proud of, well, then I'm sorry to say nothing is really filling me with pride (errors, errors, ERRORS!), but I can certainly record something to show what I'm working on, and maybe both a) overcome my extreme fright of playing while someone else is listening**, and b) at least share where I'm starting from.

So maybe I'll record the piece I'm working on now, even though there are several errors I haven't really fixed. Or, heck, maybe you guys are going to get some scales. Hee.

**yes, I recognize that recording myself is probably easier since I can do it while nobody is watching, but I just want to stop having such performance anxiety! I swear, if anybody is standing behind me, simply wanting to see what I'm playing, I utterly freeze. Everything tenses up and then I can't play something I could play not five minutes before.

A
AimeeO Offline OP

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline

500 Post Club Member
A
Ha, if the threshold is something I'm proud of, well, then I'm sorry to say nothing is really filling me with pride (errors, errors, ERRORS!), but I can certainly record something to show what I'm working on, and maybe both a) overcome my extreme fright of playing while someone else is listening**, and b) at least share where I'm starting from.

So maybe I'll record the piece I'm working on now, even though there are several errors I haven't really fixed. Or, heck, maybe you guys are going to get some scales. Hee.

**yes, I recognize that recording myself is probably easier since I can do it while nobody is watching, but I just want to stop having such performance anxiety! I swear, if anybody is standing behind me, simply wanting to see what I'm playing, I utterly freeze. Everything tenses up and then I can't play something I could play not five minutes before.

I have the same problem. You'd think I was playing at Carnegie Hall or something. My recital piece is a good example - it starts out bumpy, because I'm freaking out anticipating a mistake, and then, towards the end, I screwed up because I hadn't screwed up a certain section that bad and was nervous about finishing cleanly. That was the same for half the takes. Another 1/4th are because I can't remember if I played the repeat, and the remainder are because I'm frustrated and tense.

I also tense up and screw up if I think my neighbors can hear me!

But it really is getting easier. And no one has thrown me off here for it yet smile

Last edited by AimeeO; 05/16/13 10:50 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Who wants to hear scales??? Yes, boooring, but I can't tell you how frightened I am just to put this up. Yikes. With age does not come courage, I guess. And I only just started back three weeks ago after a 25 year hiatus.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89452048/IMG_2076_small.m4v

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Two Snowflakes, you are waaaaay too hard on yourself. You scales are very well played: even, fast, consistent. Double thirds are hard. (Not to say that the others are easy!)

Thank you for posting. You showed me a picture and soundscape of what to try for. I hope to hear more of your playing in the monthly Cafe, the quarterly Beginners and Beyond Recital, and/or the Themed Recitals (currently soliciting players for Grieg's Lyric Pieces).

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Two Snowflakes, you are waaaaay too hard on yourself. You scales are very well played: even, fast, consistent. Double thirds are hard. (Not to say that the others are easy!)

Thank you for posting. You showed me a picture and soundscape of what to try for. I hope to hear more of your playing in the monthly Cafe, the quarterly Beginners and Beyond Recital, and/or the Themed Recitals (currently soliciting players for Grieg's Lyric Pieces).

Thanks.

You're right, double thirds are SUPER hard! I am happy just to play the thirds and sixths right now. There are a few pieces that I want to play that have some very rapid double thirds in there, so I'm going to build it into my scale routine in the next few weeks.

I've decided that nothing ventured, nothing gained, so here's the piece I'm working on. I've got a lot of work to do, and I have no idea why my wrists are doing such odd things, but the tension I can see in there is enough to stop a car, I think. I think I always played with too much tension, and now it's worse than ever. I can hardly write out a birthday card before my whole hand just claws down, so I'm going to seek out some exercises to really get that out so I can regain smoothness and velocity.

Anyway, enough with the explanation. This is three weeks in, after a 25 year hiatus:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89452048/Movie%20on%205-17-13%20at%2010.07%20AM.m4v

ETA: Chopin Nocturne Op. 20, No. 2, C minor

Last edited by TwoSnowflakes; 05/17/13 02:23 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
TwoSnowflakes, the scales were great!!! Quite the quick tempo too!!

And yes, we do know what courage it takes to post up anything of ourselves playing!! That's why everyone is so encouraging! We are all our own worst critic!

Just this past lesson, I started playing the Chopin Waltz by memory. I got so far and stopped saying, "It's not there". So, my teacher has me get up from the piano. Told me to actually walk out of the studio. When I get out in the other room, my teacher says, "Now leave Judgemental Janice out there so when you come back in you stop criticising yourself"!!! No one is harder on us than we are on ourselves!! Good job getting something recorded. It gets easier to push that buttom! Thank goodness for that!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Who wants to hear scales??? Yes, boooring, but I can't tell you how frightened I am just to put this up. Yikes. With age does not come courage, I guess. And I only just started back three weeks ago after a 25 year hiatus.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89452048/IMG_2076_small.m4v

You're making me want to learn this piece! You are indeed way too hard on yourself. This sounds quite nice!!

Keep it up laugh

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
S
S
TwoSnowflakes. Great scales (mine are like oatmeal, a bit lumpy)

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Ok.... Here ya go. I won't bore you with all I went through this week to do this. Doh! I'm not real happy with the outcome. I'm tired of spending time getting this done. Just want to spend time on other things.
This is where I went changing the song at the top of page 51 of Alfred's All In One

Love somebody

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
rnaple, that was cool! I love the "chimes", and I loved the way you did the ending delicately. Way to go.

TwoSnowflakes - my computer is going into one of it's infinity loops as I try to load your scales, so I'll have to try later. But congratulations on recording and posting!

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Well done TwoSnowflakes, I am not so hot on the scales and can't even play two octaves, definitely not at that quick a tempo. Thanks for sharing and hoping to hear more.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
TwoSnowflakes - well it is obvious you had a fair amount of practice before you gave up piano - my scales still aren't that fast or that smooth.
Welcome back to the ivories - can't wait to see what you will be doing in a few months from now!

Ron - sweet! Good precision - looking forward to hearing a longer piece from you next time round!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
TwoSnowflakes - I loved it! I'd forget which pattern I was supposed to be doing somewhere in the middle if I tried that speed laugh And if I hadn't read "double thirds" I wouldn't have known what you were doing at that point - wow! Brava - and well-recorded, to boot.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
TwoSnowflakes, lovely Nocturne. Thank you for posting it. It makes me want to investigate Chopin's Nocturnes, you make it sound beautiful and look easy.

I see what you mean about tension and wierd wrist motion (plus your video was reversed, making everything that much more curious!). Are you taking lessons? Does your teacher have any suggestions? I noticed the comments in PC on your scales and methods for finding relaxation at the piano. Something else you might consider for pieces is working on much easier pieces for a while. This is what I did last year: I felt like I had shot ahead and was playing a lot of music where I was barely hanging on. So I slowed way down and went back to basics. I think I'm now at or equal to where I was a year ago, but playing much better. (Hmmm, does that make sense? I mean, I'm playing similar pieces again now, but much more reliably and musically, and with less hanging on and wondering if I'm going to make a mistake).

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission