Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
81 registered (Anita Potter, A Guy, Al LaPorte, Anne'sson, ALEXANDER DYKER, 36251, 24 invisible), 1327 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2085089 - 05/19/13 07:11 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Starr Keys]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Stayed up late and got up early listening to the recital - lots of fun:

12. Riddler (Ed) - African Flower This is very different than the usual jazz peice I hear here. Sounds almost new age with the repeated ostinatos, and there aren't many complex rhythms. You played it well - thanks!

13. Monica K. - Two Trees Wow, those are some long held notes. Are they written out (so that you are counting them) or fermatas? Just curious. That's some very sensitive playing, Monica.

14. Ganddalf - Rustle of Spring Very beautiful piece, Gandalf. It's sounds just like you describe, with the streams joining to become a waterfall. Excellent playing as always. And you are always welcome to participate in the recitals - I love to hear your playing!

15. (Was)TrueBeginner - Momma Excellnt job bringing out the melody - and a very moving composition.

16. Allard - Cristofori's Dream I love this piece! Excellent playing, and I loved the piano in the video.

17. Inlanding - Glen - Icy Patch How surprising! Very different from most of the original pieces here. Loved it!

18. sinophilia - So in Love Very nice - no reason to offer excuses for your playing. I can tell you love playing and this piece.

19. earlofmar - Bach Prelude No 1 C Major This piece is like a rite of passage for some into the ABF Recitals. It was the first piece I submitted. I love to hear it - you did a great job. I hear you have wisely refrained from using too much pedal - not like when I played it, and blurred everything together!

20. Allan W. - Shevat, the Wind is Calling Looks difficult - great job for just a month of playing it!

21. dynamobt / Marilyn Burris - Grande Valse Brilliante in A minor Op 34 no 2 Someday I hope to play this :-) Excellent playing! I love the changes in mood.

22. PikaPianist - Consolation No. 3, S. 172 Nice touch, and effective use of the pedal - outstanding work!

23. Mohan Karthik - Greensleeves (Arr: David Nevue) One of my favorites - well played! Loved the dynamics.

24. anthonyb - Discovery at Night Hi Anthony - you've been missed - don't be a stranger. Love to hear your Einaudi recordings.

25. kenjazz (Ken) - See See Rider What an odd beginning! It really sets up the listener for the rhythm when it starts. Excellent playing and arranging!

26. Ken - 2 Part Invention No.14 They are devilishly tricky little pieces, aren't they? I can't play them without mistakes. Sounds great! Nice job.

27. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - An Old Romance An Old Romance from the Romantic Period - never heard of this composer, but I really liked the piece. Nice touch on the chords - detached, but not too much. And the ending was very well done.

28. Augustina - Hungary: Rapsodie Mignonne, Opus 410 Never heard this piece, but I think I can tell it's a Hungarian Rhapsody! You certainly captured the spirit of it - excellent playing.

29. TrapperJohn - Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (from "Les Miserables") You have certainly improved Trapp. Maybe it's playing music that you really love, but I have noticed a difference in your playing. Keep up the good work!

30. Richard (zrtf90) - Fantasy in D minor, K. 397 I tried to play this once - didn't get very far. You did an excellent job!

31. Greener / Jeff Green - Op. 69, No 1. - Waltz in A flat major Nicely done - loved the ornaments, you fit them in so well with the beat, something I have a lot of trouble with.

Time to practice! More to come.

Sam

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2085107 - 05/19/13 08:10 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Sam S]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
More reviews:

21. dynamobt / Marilyn Burris - Grande Valse Brilliante in A minor Op 34 no 2 This is such a beautiful waltz, and you really do it justice. I really like your interpretation. The ornaments are very smooth, and the accompaniment is nicely subdued. Excellent job.

22. PikaPianist - Consolation No. 3, S. 172 I am working on this piece myself right now. It is so hauntingly beautiful. I really liked your interpretation – sweet and restrained. Very nice!

23. Mohan Karthik - Greensleeves (Arr: David Nevue) This is a very nice arrangement of this beautiful melody. You bring out the spirit of the piece and I like how the energy builds and then recedes at the end. Very nice job.

24. anthonyb - Discovery at Night I like your interpretation of Einaudi. I am not familiar with this piece, but I found it very beautiful. I like the life that you gave it. Very nice!

25. kenjazz (Ken) - See See Rider I really like the free improve style that you gave this. The “band in a box” accompaniment was subdued and very well done. Great listening!

26. Ken - 2 Part Invention No.14 I love Bach inventions, and you did this one justice. There was very clear counterpoint in your playing, and both voices sung nicely. Great job!

27. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - An Old Romance I had not heard this piece before. It sounds transitional from Classical to Romantic. I really like your interpretation. The ornaments were crisp and I liked your dynamics. Your playing added a playful element to the piece which kept it upbeat. Great job!

28. Augustina - Hungary: Rapsodie Mignonne, Opus 410 This is such a dramatic piece. I really like the contrasts throughout it: at times powerful and at other times very light. You did a great job on what sounds like a very challenging piece.

29. TrapperJohn - Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (from "Les Miserables") I am probably one of the few people who has never seen Les Miserables. Your description makes me want to go see the movie! Your sensitive playing expresses the emotion of the scene very well. Great Job!

30. Richard (zrtf90) - Fantasy in D minor, K. 397 Beautiful interpretation! I find Mozart difficult to play because his music is so transparent, that every note, every nuance, needs to be right. Yours was. I really enjoyed your playing.

31. Greener / Jeff Green - Op. 69, No 1. - Waltz in A flat major This is such pretty waltz, and I like your interpretation. I thought that you did a good job capturing the cheerful, upbeat nature of the piece. Your runs sound very clear and crisp. Very enjoyable listening.

32. joangolfing - Sonatina in B Flat Major HWV 585 I enjoyed your interpretation of this little gem. The voicing was clear and crisp. Very nice!

Working on ABRSM Grade 6
European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2085124 - 05/19/13 09:57 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: SwissMS]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
My next batch of comments:

32. joangolfing - Sonatina in B Flat Major HWV 585 It does sound very Bach-like. I wonder if it is a really early piece? It's so hard to tell from the numbers. Well done!

33. Yamaha G3&P-80 Mike White - Cancion Del Litoral No. 1 You always have such interesting pieces - I really look forward to them every recital - excellent.

34. Mr Super-Hunky - An Enchanted Journey This is great Mr. S-H! Just what we have come to expect from you...

35. xorbe (Jason M) - Miyazawa Yukino IV (piano) from Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou That's some fast running! No way could I ever run that fast even in my prime. And some great piano playing too!

36. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.2&3 I have nothing but respect for those players who can play Mozart and Haydn - I am just a disaster at this kind of music. Sounds great. I love the slow movement - reminds me of his operas.

37. Norrec (Tim) - Dire Dire Docks (Mario 64) I am not familiar with this at all, but your playing is great...

38. BenPiano - Reverie Very moody - nicely done.

39. Jazztpt (Russ) - Starting Out Very cool - loved the transition into the up-tempo section.

40. SwissMS/Doris - Nocturne in F Minor Op. 55 #1 Wow - very nice. I'm working on a nocturne now, and I envy your loose wrists and smooth ornaments.

41. hotcat - French Suite 4--Allemande Very smooth - glad I could adjust the volume for you.

42. Mar_red - Bring Him Home Excellent job working this out from just the lead sheet - loved it!

43. BillM - A Time for Us Bill , I just love your voice and playing. I so wish I could do that!

44. Sand Tiger - Canon in D This is one of my all-time favorites too. Nice playing!

45. Pavel.K - French Suite No. 6 in E major - Menuet (BWV817) There is nothing easy about this - you did a great job!

46. PianoStudent88 - Lyado Is Seriously Ill, Op. 62 No. 3 I think Ljado is very ill - hope he makes it! You brought out the mood very well - nicely done.

47. UK Paul UK - Chopin polonaise in Gm Very nicely done - nice loose wrist, light touch, and impressive arpeggios. But the video gave me vertigo!

48. ElleC (Michelle) - Aria (Bist Du Bei Mir) This is another of my favorites - I accompany my wife on a version for recorder. Very well done.

49. Copper - Danny Boy So simple, but so well played. Very expressive.

50. Serge88 - From Me To You Good job putting this together - well done.

51. windywindy - Little Prelude in Em, BWV 938 That is quick! Nimble fingers - well done.

52. Starr Keys - My Funny Valentine I have such admiration for people who can sing and play - very well done, your voice is great, very sexy. You and Bill should get together and do a duo. Loved the video, especially the guy asleep with his teeth in a glass. A relative? Just kidding...

53. lyricmudra - Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K. 213 (L. 108) Very well done, and a wonderful piano. I'm going to have to look up this sonata...

54. scorpio - A Story From Long Ago Welcome to the recital! This is excellent for your first piece - well played.

55. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Ecossaises, Op.72 No.3, No 1 in D major A very different Chopin piece compared to what we usually hear here. Well done!

56. aTallGuyNH - Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No 7 Well done! It's great when a piece has a story behind it, and I'm sure it makes your playing even more special.

57. Aimee O - Op 102 no 3 Loved it! It's so difficult to get the touch right on this, but you've done a great job.

58. carlos88 - Prelude #2 (Voiles) I don't think I've ever heard this before - thanks for introducing me to it. Excellent!

59. stumbler - Sonata in E major K380 One of my favorite Scarlatti Sonatas. Wonderful playing...

60. peterws - Mozart k331 1 Nice ornaments, and excellent balance between the hands.

That's all folks!

Sam

#2085155 - 05/19/13 11:10 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
And another round!

Before I launch into these, let me say that thanks to Trapper John's efforts at re-presenting some brilliant examples of stage productions of Les Mis, I take back my previous lack of general enthusiasm for the show !

And now... on to today's listening treat -- I've been tremendously impressed with the skills I see growing dramatically over the past few years here in the ABF group ... there are quite a number who really are in the "Beyond" beginner category now!!!

31. Greener / Jeff Green - Op. 69, No 1. - Waltz in A flat major Jeff - as charming as only a Chopin piece can be. You say you're not happy with it - but there's always room for improvement isn't there? Especially with Chopin! I had a very enjoyable 3:15 in your company -- if you decide to record again in the future, I'd be very happy to hear you play it again.

32. joangolfing - Sonatina in B Flat Major HWV 585 I haven't really played any Bach yet, but Handel and I are becoming well-acquainted. This was a lovely little jewel that made me smile with delight.

33. Yamaha G3&P-80 Mike White - Cancion Del Litoral No. 1 A new-to-me composer. This is a handsome piece - it sounds like it could easily be the soundtrack for a film -- by the seaside I think - it speaks to me of lost loves, wistfulness, great passions and the courage to carry on. Wonderfully moving.

34. Mr Super-Hunky - An Enchanted Journey Well, I am a great fan of travel and visiting new places...Where did your music take me? First, through the amazon rain forests - lush verdant vegetation and frothy white waterfalls - a bird's eye view over wild mountain ranges, then the to-and fro-ing waves of the deep blue sea, the broad expanses of the Scotish Highlands with their autumn colours, a feast of colours seen from a magic carpet. I loved the rich deep tones contrasting with lighter more delicate overtones. Truly enchanting. You've outdone yourself this time Mr. Super-Hunky!

35. xorbe (Jason M) - Miyazawa Yukino IV (piano) from Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou This is a type of music I would never hear if not for these recitals. A lovely piece and very well played. You've really developed wonderful balance between your hands, and to be able to play such a long piece so smoothly after only 8 months is very impressive. Compliments!

36. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.2&3 I can see why you fell in love with this piece - it is full of delicious tidbits of sound and feeling - in some parts pure playful Mozart, in others deceptively simple sections which I'm sure only sound so because of the time you dedicated to bringing this piece to its polished state! Beautiful ornamentations - What great powers of focus and concentration you've developed to be able to play such a long piece! A real joy to listen to! Thoughh both movements were great, I think that the third is the one I like the best. Excellent performance! Complimenti!

37. Norrec (Tim) - Dire Dire Docks (Mario 64) I may be in the minority here, being someone who never played the Mario games smile - Very pretty music - it makes me think of boats floating down a river --- not a Mario game at all! - Very impressive that you created your own ending - I'm impressed!

38. BenPiano - Reverie Ah, Einaudi. Unmistakable! You've certainly caught the dreamy mood of this piece and you've done a great job with the fluidity and dynamics! Well done!

39. Jazztpt (Russ) - Starting Out Congratulations on your new grandson - may he live a long, happy and healthy life! I love hearing original compositions. This is certainly mood setting music - I enjoyed the rest of the band too! Nice rhythm, you've got a great "voice" going here!

40. SwissMS/Doris - Nocturne in F Minor Op. 55 #1 Doris, your new piano has a gorgeous voice - what a delight it must be to play! Watching your video, I was impressed with the confidence you show in making those leaps with the left hand. The part at the 3min mark was particularly rich and exciting. Your ending was simply wonderful. I loved this performance! Thank you for the treat!!

#2085172 - 05/19/13 11:50 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

The next group:

33. Yamaha G3&P-80 Mike White - Cancion Del Litoral No. 1 I am unfamiliar with this composer, but it is a very pretty piece. I enjoyed your strong delivery of it. It gave it a sense of melancholy that was very nice. Well played!

34. Mr Super-Hunky - An Enchanted Journey Your original compositions always blow me away. This one has a floating, dreamy quality to it. The arrangement is very rich. Beautiful!

35. xorbe (Jason M) - Miyazawa Yukino IV (piano) from Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou Very well played, especially for only 8 months! You have great clarity and rhythmical control in this interesting piece.

36. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.2&3 Fantastic job, MaryBee. Mozart requires such control and clarity, which you demonstrated very well. You have a nice gentle touch for his music. Wonderful interpretation.

37. Norrec (Tim) - Dire Dire Docks (Mario 64) You created a very nice arrangement for this! Well played.

38. BenPiano - Reverie A very nice presentation of the Einaudi sound. I like your pacing of the piece and the balance between melody and accompaniment. Lovely.

39. Jazztpt (Russ) - Starting Out This is a beautiful composition. I love the free form improvisation, and the transition into the accompanied section works very well. I also liked the transition back to just piano at the end. Well done!

41. hotcat - French Suite 4--Allemande Very nice job on this not so easy piece! The Voices are clear and balanced. I thought your playing was a beautiful interpretation of Bach.

42. Mar_red - Bring Him Home Your arrangement for this touching song is beautiful. Very nice playing!

43. BillM - A Time for Us BillM this is a beautiful, sensitive presentation of this song. You have a great voice and your accompaniments flow nicely.

Working on ABRSM Grade 6

#2085192 - 05/19/13 12:44 PM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

And the last round!

41. hotcat - French Suite 4--Allemande A bit of a hiss on the recording - but the volume was ok. A beautiful piece - you did an excellent job on this - it was joyful, rich, rejoicing - excellent management of the voices! Bravo!

42. Mar_red - Bring Him Home Interestingly, I have just listened to the vocal version of this today, courtesy of Trapper John. I was thinking of the words as I listened to you playing - I don't think the faster left hand is an issue - but I think maybe it could be just a little bit softer to let the melody really sing out - I'm tremendously impressed that you are doing this from a lead sheet. You captured the emotion of this piece very well. Congratulations!

43. BillM - A Time for Us Ah, I remember this piece from a few decades ago! You play it with the bittersweet tenderness it needs, and do I perceive a slight reverb or echo or some such effect on the microphone? As always I am able to just float in relaxation listening to your most enjoyable performance.Thank you!

44. Sand Tiger - Canon in D After all the discusion of this piece in the AOTW thread, I've been looking forward to hearing your performance! Nicely done! Overall I think you've done a great job - and in particular, congrats on working through the reading of the score. I think a simplified version is a great way to start getting hold of this piece! If I can make one comment, I would suggest approaching the opening chords with more delicacy make them a little softer and smoother. You have approached them with what I hear as a slightly heavy touch. I don't usually make technical suggestions for other performers as I still feel very new, but this is probably my all-time most beloved piece and I know it would sound richer if you smoothed out those first bars (and the matching ones at the end).

45. Pavel.K - French Suite No. 6 in E major - Menuet (BWV817) I can never have too much Bach in my day! I was charmed with your performance, it was sweet, light, lovey little ornaments - most enjoyable!

46. PianoStudent88 - Lyado Is Seriously Ill, Op. 62 No. 3 Very interesting piece ! One I've never heard. It certainly creates the sensation of something not being right, building a sense of worry and tension! - poor Lyado, must be very ill indeed! Nicely played!

47. UK Paul UK - Chopin polonaise in Gm Oh that was FUN! I was a bit confused by the camera angle to start with, but once you got going I was so glad I'd decided to watch the video. I loved seeing the blur of your hands and you did those wonderful arpeggios, and the crossovers! I would never have realized you were doing that! This was a truly delightful listening (and visual) treat!

48. ElleC (Michelle) - Aria (Bist Du Bei Mir) I love this aria! Well done -- I have said it before but I'm happy to say it again - I find it simply wonderful how much you have been able to learn and develop skills in such a short period! Complimenti indeed!

49. Copper - Danny Boy Ah, pretty much my favourite song to sing. In fact the only one I've ever done at a Karaoke evening! Your performance sweet and simple - in fact I could only hear the right hand, so was the unadorned melody. Very pretty.

50. Serge88 - From Me To You A golden oldie ....What fun that you made your own arrangement! I enjoyed it!

51. windywindy - Little Prelude in Em, BWV 938 Well, I can see why you have fun with that! I don't think I could get my fingers moving that quickly ! Nicely done!

52. Starr Keys - My Funny Valentine I heard the March Piano Bar version and was curious to hear this one. You seemed much more at ease with the vocals - Beautifully done! (I liked the art work in the video too btw)

53. lyricmudra - Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K. 213 (L. 108) I like Scalatti - You played this beautifully and the video was an excellent bonus - the lighting was dramatic and created an elegant, quiet atmosphere that suited the music perfectly. I greatly enjoyed your performance.

54. scorpio - A Story From Long Ago I like this little piece very much ! I play it often at home! Most of the pieces in that book are great for helping you get the hang of using the pedal - do give it a try ! You'll love the richer sound you can put into your performance. This was sweetly played!

55. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Ecossaises, Op.72 No.3, No 1 in D major To quote you "The rhythm is off at times, the pedaling is off at times, the dynamics are not very good, there are a few missed notes, and the ornaments (mordents and trills) are mostly not smooth enough at all....so how could I possibly enjoy it? .... Well, I did - and quite a bit! It was good cheery music. May I make a suggestion? Why list the imperfections before we even have a chance to listen to it? I don't think it is a good habit to get into.

56. aTallGuyNH - Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No 7 What a wonderful story about your daughter's reaction to this music as a new born (would this be the 9 yr old you've mentioned? time flies eh?) ... Very nicely played, (though I can see what you mean about the tuning not having held..that's a pity indeed).

57. Aimee O - Op 102 no 3 The work that you dedicated to this piece is clear- you make it sound simple! It is delightful! I can sense the energy flowing easily from you to the piano. Complimenti!

58. carlos88 - Prelude #2 (Voiles) There is something about Debussy that is just magical and mysterious. This piece is no exception. You have brought out all the necessary drama and tension to present this as the rich and fascinating dream-like (or perhaps nightmare-ish) piece it is.

59. stumbler - Sonata in E major K380 I suppose from the K number, and the general feel of this, it is Mozart? Very pretty - and your fingers certainly do fly over the keys! Elegantly played!

60. peterws - Mozart k331 1 What a super finale for our recital! This is a truly handsome piece, you've done a gorgeous job on the ornaments and dynamics - most definitely one of the gems of this recital.

Well, what a wonderful experience.
I do believe that every recital gets better and better.

Thank you to Monica for pulling it all together and to mahlzeit for writing the software, to Sam S who creates the fantastic index, and Copper who keeps track of the Order of the Red Dot recognition file!
And of course to Mr. Super-Hunky who suggested it in th first play (30 recitals ago! wow!)
to Frank who hosts us----

but especially to each and every contributor who has taken the time and energy to work on bringing a special piece to performance level for our enjoyment.

I'm always so proud and happy to be part of this group!

Complimenti a tutti!

#2085262 - 05/19/13 03:20 PM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
Thank you CarlosCC, I on the other hand am a huge Scarlatti fan. I just wish so many of his pieces weren't beyond my grasp.

Starr Keys, given that LM and I were both playing Scarlatti, it makes perfect sense to pari us. I rushed my submission at the last moment and seem to have left out the composer. It doesn't always seem effortless. Sometimes the trills are a struggle, but thankfully sometimes I can relax and they just happen. [No problem about not responding. I didn't expect one. While it might be fun, there is no need to end up imitating those delightful ever so polite Looney Tune gophers.]

Thank you Sam S, it is one of mine too.

casinitaly, sorry for the confusion. I rushed my submission. Scarlatti also is identified using a K number (K for Ralph Kirkpatrick, who catalogued Scarlatti's work in 1953, replacing the Longo numbering you sometimes still see). Thank you.

47. UK Paul UK: Chopin polonaise in Gm
I think you have achieved a lot. I haven't heard this polonaise before, it sounds quite different from a lot of his other work. I looked it up on wikipedia. Wow, Chopin wrote this in 1817 when he was 7 years old!

48. ElleC: Aria (Bist Du Bei Mir)
You play this well. I love this piece, but it took me a while to remember where I know it from. It is on the children's album "Mr. Bach Comes to Call" which my daughter had.

49. Copper: Danny Boy
You are brave, no harmony to hide behind, but this tune stands well on its own.

50. Serge88: From Me To You
I like your arrangement, laid back and relaxed. It works.

51. windywindy: Little Prelude in Em, BWV 938
Its not easy at this pace, but you manage to bring out the two voices very well.

52. Starr Keys: My Funny Valentine
I loved this piece when you played it in the piano bar. Now its even better. BTW something about the intro reminds me of some of Tom Waits tunes.

53. lyricmudra: Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K. 213 (L. 108)
This is a realy nice Scarlatti sonata. I can't find it in any of my Scarlatti books. You play it so beautifully, I want to go to the piano and try it.

54. scorpio: A Story From Long Ago.
You play this with good phrasing and tempo. Well done for the short time you have been playing.

#2085296 - 05/19/13 03:54 PM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
39 Jazztpt I get jealous when I hear this stuff. Like jazz, but can`t play really. Great song with nice atmosphere. Was just waiting for the drums when - they happened! Loved it man!

38 Ben Piano My! You`ve come a lon way since I arrived! This is good, you`re doing real well. Enjoyed!

37 Norrec Lovely atmospheric stuff here; you could add an extra voice or so .. .sounds pro. My kind of music. .

36 MayBee Wow; this is a long piece to do in one recording! Betcha needed a stiff drink after that . .it sounds involved; you did real good and your piano sounded good too!

35 xorbe I ran 10 miles in 62m 30 years ago . . ha ha not any more . . This is a superb sounding piano and the tune`s lovely and resonant. Well played!

34 MrSuper Hunky Loved this flowing film type music. Bet it was fun to play; tremendous piano. Yo could add a flute or violin over the top if you so desired . . that`d be fun!

33 Mike White Superb piano sound with a strong delivery. Well played!

32 JoanGolfing Typical Handel, played sympathetically to the period. Trills were authentic. Handel`s good; Bach`s better!

31Greener Wife used to play this on our Broadwood. Like 30 years ago . . sounded similar to this. Pleasantly played and enjoyable. Totally.

30 Richard Different styles and tempo were handled effectively with a great recording. You`re having fun that`s apparent . . So`re we . .

Well Done All!

Edited by peterws (05/20/13 01:02 PM)

""

#2085315 - 05/19/13 04:30 PM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I finally got to listen to everyone's entries. I will not be leaving individual comments because I'm not proficient enough to comment on people's works. However, I do want to acknowledge the tremendous amount of talent in this forum. It's really nice to listen to people who have had little piano experience to those with years and years of knowledge. It's been inspirational and not to mention...I've already put an asterisk on those that I want to be able to play in the future. So thank you everyone!! Well done indeed =)

As for those that left me with wonderful comments and advice, much gratitude goes to you. Though, I was re-reading my description and I probably shouldn't have said "believe it or not" because it sounds quite arrogant. It is not what I had intended! I have had a certain person comment on how they don't believe I've only been playing for several months (not from the forum...a parent of one of my teacher's students)...since then I've felt like I've had to defend my work. But I really appreciate the positive comments that you have been so kind to show me.

#2085350 - 05/19/13 05:55 PM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
06 Dannylux. Like Lyricmudra, I always can count on your choosing pieces I'm going to like and on them being played exquisitely. You make me want to read a Romantic French novel, or in this case maybe an English one.

09. SamS . You couldn't have made a more welcome departure for me while still remaining (technically) classical. This reminded me of the overture to an old fashioned musical, but one with an exotic or European flavor. It really shows your versatility. You handled it's expression of youthful playful exbuberance as well as you handle the gravitas of some of your more somber elegiac pieces. I'm sure you could do anything you want (singing & playing included!)

#2085353 - 05/19/13 06:11 PM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
21. dynamobt / Marilyn Burris - Grande Valse Brilliante in A minor Op 34 no 2
Slow and steady wins the race. It was fine at its current speed.

22. PikaPianist - Consolation No. 3, S. 172
I hope you have more on your Liszt for the next recital!

23. Mohan Karthik - Greensleeves (Arr: David Nevue)
I like this arrangement very much.

24. anthonyb - Discovery at Night
Yay, more Einaudi <3

25. kenjazz (Ken) - See See Rider
I don't understand the opening, but once it gets going there's some pretty smooth playing. laugh

26. Ken - 2 Part Invention No.14
Not a fan of Bach as listening goes, but the educational value is apparent. Well played.

27. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - An Old Romance
You keep picking these fun little tunes. So nice smile

28. Augustina - Hungary: Rapsodie Mignonne, Opus 410
This seems pretty hard to memorize, no? There's so much to the piece. Your recorder could do with some improvement to match that nice piano.

29. TrapperJohn - Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (from "Les Miserables")
Such beautiful music. This does remind me I need to see this musical some day. I've only ever heard my mother sing the songs with her choir.

30. Richard (zrtf90) - Fantasy in D minor, K. 397
Mozart's brilliance shines through your music. Keep up the fantastic work. Never give up again smile

#2085356 - 05/19/13 06:16 PM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur]
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
Well, I'm not around here much and only had time to listen to one right now and I picked my Casio Buddy jotur/Cathy! Cathy, I loved it and you made the Casio sound great! Keep up the great work! smile

#2085396 - 05/19/13 08:29 PM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
2. Jotur- great playing Cathy. It's so easy to picture the folks you play for dancing away. And hey... I think it would be pretty funny to hear you (or anyone else for that matter) laugh when you make a mistake recording for the recital. Actually, I usually don't laugh when I make a mistake and what I do say wouldn't be appropriate forfor the forum... smile

15. Was True Beginner- I know.. I say it every time, but you really do come up with such nice melodies. Very nicely crafted and enjoyable piece.

17- Inlanding.. Damn!! Glen, that is sooo good. I had to watch you playing over and over a couple of times. I just like every thing about it. I love the way you start with those descending octaves in the left hand, the fantastic melody, the walking bass... just every thing.

52. Starr Keys- That is so much fun to listen to. Your voice is wonderful as is your playing. I like Inlandings comment on your you tube "Top Shelf"! I'll go along with that. smile

55. Sam Rose- Nicely done!! That is one tough piece and you handle it well. Your recording is excellent too.

40. SwissMs- I agree, a nocturne with so many degrees of emotion. Well played and I love that new piano!

#2085477 - 05/19/13 11:39 PM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Peyton]
stumbler Offline

55. Sam Rose: Ecossaises, Op.72 No.3, No 1 in D major
I agree, this piece is bright and cheerful. I'm not really familiar with this piece, so I didn't hear the imperfections you mention. I thought you played it quite well and would love to hear more of the same.

56. aTallGuyNH: Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No 7
This is a beautiful gem. You captured the essence of it.

57. Aimee O: Felix Mendelssohn Op 102 no 3
The pursuit of perfection is endless, but so much is learned along the way. Well played.

58. carlos88: Prelude #2 (Voiles)
I can't say much other than beautiful.

60. petersw: Mozart k331 1
This has always been a favourite. I first heard it (or part of it) in an episode of Twilight Zone. It stuck in my head. When I discovered it again in a Mozart sonata it double stuck.

1. Jazzwee: Night in Tunisia
Great kick-off to the recital.

2. jotour: G.I. Jive
I suspect you got them barrel-housing all night long with this one.

#2085517 - 05/20/13 01:27 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
54. scorpio - A Story From Long Ago So clear and sweet. You've got good control of the dynamics, and you bring out the melody very nicely, even when it switches hands. Congratulations on participating!

53. lyricmudra - Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K. 213 (L. 108) As always, your playing is beautiful (and lyrical -- your name is chosen appropriately). Your piano sounds beautiful too. I like the relaxed pace of this piece, and the subdued lighting in the video seems to enhance that.

52. Starr Keys - My Funny Valentine Great combination of piano and vocals, and interesting chords. The music itself gave me a bit of a sad feeling, but the video images lightened it up. Although it was a little disconcerting to see the keyboard in what looked like an upside-down view (in relation to how we usually see it -- when we're playing).

51. windywindy - Little Prelude in Em, BWV 938 Whew! That is fast. I've been trying to bring a Bach Invention up to speed, and it's a lot of work learning to keep the tempo steady and the hands in sync at those quicker tempos! My teacher keeps reminding me to slow down until I have it right. I know, I know, but sometimes you just can't help going as fast as possible! smile

50. Serge88 - From Me To You That was enjoyable! Interesting how the piano and slower tempo give it a much different feel than the original.

49. Copper - Danny Boy An unadorned, yet touching presentation of this familiar piece. I think introducing a bit more variation in the dynamics could make it even moving.

#2085528 - 05/20/13 02:02 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: MaryBee]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

This is my last batch of reviews. Congratulations to all of the participants, and a big thank you to the organizers. This recital is such a special gift to the community and makes all of us strive to be better pianists!

44. Sand Tiger - Canon in D Nice arrangement of this classic. You captured the joy inherent in this piece. Nice job!

45. Pavel.K - French Suite No. 6 in E major - Menuet (BWV817) A three voice Bach piece after only 16 months experience is quite an achievement. Great job! I enjoyed the interplay of the voices.

46. PianoStudent88 - Lyado Is Seriously Ill, Op. 62 No. 3 This is a very interesting piece. You brought out the sadness and gave the piece a restrained, mourning sound. Well done!

47. UK Paul UK - Chopin polonaise in Gm I love this polonaise. It carries a lot of restrained power. I thought you played it beautifully. Nice light touch.

48. ElleC (Michelle) - Aria (Bist Du Bei Mir) I am simply amazed how well you play after such a short time on the bench. You have a very nice touch. You have a nice balance between the hands and good dynamics. I thought your ornaments were great.

49. Copper - Danny Boy Very nice expression in this minimalistic arrangement. I enjoyed the clarity and beauty in what you played.

50. Serge88 - From Me To You You created a very nice arrangement. Great rendition of this classic!

51. windywindy - Little Prelude in Em, BWV 938 I love the little preludes. Each one is a gem. You did a nice job on the voicing, and the ornaments were clear and crisp. Well done.

52. Starr Keys - My Funny Valentine Outstanding job! The piano's gentle accompaniment compliments your voice very well. You have a lovely voice and your expression in this piece is spot on.

53. lyricmudra - Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K. 213 (L. 108) This is a gorgeous Scarlatti Sonata. You play it with a very sensitive touch that brings out its soul. Very nicely done!

54. scorpio - A Story From Long Ago This is a wonderful first submission to the recital. You played it very nicely, with good legato. Your off to a great start!

55. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Ecossaises, Op.72 No.3, No 1 in D major Your progress continues to amaze me. You give this piece a playful, bouncy feeling that works well. I enjoyed your interpretation. Nicely played!

56. aTallGuyNH - Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No 7 I love the story about Chopin’s influence on your baby daughter! You play this piece with patience and gentleness, just what a baby needs. Well done!

57. Aimee O - Op 102 no 3 Very nice job on this not so easy piece. I like your dynamics and balance. There is a lot going on here, and you make it sound easy!

58. carlos88 - Prelude #2 (Voiles) This is not a Debussy piece that I have heard before. I like the mysterious air that you give it. Very well played.

59. stumbler - Sonata in E major K380 I love your clear interpretation of this Scarlatti sonata. There is a lot going on here, and you handle it expertly, capturing the spirit of the music. Excellent!

60. peterws - Mozart k331 1 Very nice Mozart interpretation. This is my favorite Sonata. His music requires such attention to detail because every note, every nuance is clearly heard. You have a nice touch for his music and played it expertly.

Working on ABRSM Grade 6

#2085558 - 05/20/13 03:54 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Just like to say a big thank you for all the lovely supportive comments my piece has received. It was very gratifying just to be able to play alongside such wonderful company.

I will refrain from making individual comments on the recital pieces as my experience level is too low. My appreciation level however is more developed and I am forever impressed as to the high level set in these recitals. Suffice it to say you all are very impressive people and your playing spurs me on to practice harder and not be afraid to challenge myself.

#2085561 - 05/20/13 04:09 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>I will not be leaving individual comments because I'm not proficient enough to comment on people's works.

>I will refrain from making individual comments on the recital pieces as my experience level is too low.

What matters is how you think it SOUNDS. You do need good ears for that, and if possible some knowledge about the style. No capabilities to play the piece are needed.

#2085570 - 05/20/13 05:04 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Thank you Sam S, casinitaly, stumbler, Peyton, Marybee, and SwissMs.

Sam, I am not related to any of the people or animals in the video, except maybe perhaps faintly to my younger self--seen in the last photo dressed in her costume for a production of Guys and Dolls. She way pretty "sexy" at that.:)

Cheryl, thanks for the feedback on the vocal. My voice instructor,for whom I have to sing this tomorrow,has been trying to get me to relax more all semester, so you couldn't have said anything I'd rather hear tonight. It's also gratifying to hear you liked the artwork. I really enjoyed doing it.

stumbler, I adore Tom Waits. You certainly have a knack for compliments involving artist comparisons.

Peyton, Any notice at all of my playing coming from you puts a smile on my face, but such praise for a performance of my own arrangement puts me over the moon. Thanks so much for your kind and generous words.

MaryBee, My husband said almost exactly the same thing you did about the camera angle of my playing. I tried it the usual way with a few of the images but just didn't think it worked as well. Maybe it was just my mood. After I read what you said about the song making you sad, I tried to brighten some of chords for my performance tomorrow. It worked but I'm just feeling a little sad these days and will wait until I'm feeling less so to change it, only do it if I'm feeling it, as I wouldn't want my teacher to think I was both tense and insincere:) I do appreciate your thoughtful honest feedback, though.

SwissMs.,You always build up my confidence for continuing with my singing. Thank you for another ego boost just when I needed one most.

#2085574 - 05/20/13 05:20 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Fourth batch.

31. Greener / Jeff Green - Op. 69, No 1. - Waltz in A flat major Lovely piece played with a sensitive, delicate touch. I really enjoyed it!

32. joangolfing - Sonatina in B Flat Major HWV 585 You gotta love Handel! Everything is so well structured and just makes perfect sense. Thanks!

33. Yamaha G3&P-80 Mike White - Cancion Del Litoral No. 1 Lovely song, didn't know this composer at all. You playing is very expressive.

34. Mr Super-Hunky - An Enchanted Journey I would have never guessed that this was an original composition. I would have said Nyman or Tiersen! And your piano sounds great.

35. xorbe (Jason M) - Miyazawa Yukino IV (piano) from Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou So after 8 months at the piano you can record a piece like this for 3 minutes straight from memory? This forum is incredible!

36. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.2&3 Such a delicate touch throughout. Do we really need to listen to a professional recording?

37. Norrec (Tim) - Dire Dire Docks (Mario 64) It had never occured to me that videogame music could be so interesting, until I found out how much of it is performed by amateur pianists. This one is beautiful and I barely heard the "glitches".

38. BenPiano - Reverie I am not a fan of Einaudi (yet) but I might well become one thanks to the submissions of Einaudi lovers in this forum! Reverie, indeed. You play like you wrote this yourself, with such control! Could be a recording from the author himself.

39. Jazztpt (Russ) - Starting Out Congratulations on the new arrival smile Loved your piece. Listening to improvisation makes me invariably jealous.

40. SwissMS/Doris - Nocturne in F Minor Op. 55 #1 I bet Chopin would be happy with your performance! Such composure, and a beautiful tone.

#2085626 - 05/20/13 08:32 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
01. Jazzwee - Night in Tunisia
12. Riddler (Ed) - African Flower
17. Inlanding - Glen - Icy Patch
25. kenjazz (Ken) - See See Rider
39. Jazztpt (Russ) - Starting Out

You guys! I've listened to more jazz in the last year from these recitals than I've listened to all my life. I'm beginning to see the attraction but I don't think I have the means for it. You're all so clearly accomplished and I'm really enjoying listening to these, especially the self-penned and improvised content.

08. CarlosCC - Joana's Secrets
13. Monica K. - Two Trees
16. Allard - Cristofori's Dream
23. Mohan Karthik - Greensleeves (Arr: David Nevue)
24. anthonyb - Discovery at Night
38. BenPiano - Reverie

I've tried a couple of George Winston's pieces that I fell in love with in the mid eighties. It was the ideal backdrop to a quiet room of calligraphy students engrossed in the sensual touch of a newly cut quill on vellum but I just don't have the touch for this music. It remains, for me, something that I listen to but seldom play.

You all do such a fine job. I could put these on cycle and work on a book of hours all afternoon without tiring of the sounds.

Extra credit, Carlos, for writing this yourself. I wouldn't have guessed.

02. jotur/Cathy Turner - G.I. Jive
Such an easy beat I had to keep coming back to this. What a great find the score was!

04. ladypayne - Chim Chim Cheree
Your joy at the song comes through in the playing.

18. sinophilia - So in Love
Very tender and sensitive interpretation.

29. TrapperJohn - Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (from "Les Miserables")
You put your heart into this and brought out the inherent loneliness. Very touching.

35. xorbe (Jason M) - Miyazawa Yukino IV (piano) from Kareshi Kanojo no JijouThere's good variety of demands in the piece but they've not troubled you at all. Lovely trilling touches in the middle and great control throughout.

37. Norrec (Tim) - Dire Dire Docks (Mario 64)
I'm constantly surprised by the sources of new music today but you've found a gem here and bring out the joy you find in it. A delightful listen and one I would never otherwise have come across.

42. Mar_red - Bring Him HomeGreat swirls of sound and what a wonderful evocative sound you have, so suitable for the piece. It's a bit like the sonic equivalent of a black and white movie to capture the mood. This is another piece that had to be replayed.

43. BillM - A Time for Us
Your voice is so effortless, Bill. It melts over the music like butter on hot toast.

49. Copper - Danny Boy
Pure and simple. It's common here in Ireland to sing unaccompanied and this is one of the songs that's commonly chosen. This captures the mood of a roomful of people just stopping and listening. No frills, just the air and the feeling. Very sweet.

50. Serge88 - From Me To You
A very personal interpretation and a gentle beat not usually associated with the Fab Four. It's nice to hear it played without trying to copy it.

52. Starr Keys - My Funny Valentine
And this delicate voice suits so well the sparse spindles of sound woven on the piano. This makes me melt like butter on hot toast.

You've all chosen music that means something to you and none of you have shown any signs of letting the technicalities stand in your way. It's so impressive.

10. Peyton - Message From Space: A Sad Passing

15. (Was)TrueBeginner - Momma

34. Mr Super-Hunky - An Enchanted Journey

You've written your own music, and coincidentally chosen sentimental material, and you have the technical equipment to do it justice. It's been emotional listening to these pieces and I'm in awe of your talents.

06. dannylux / Mel - Elgar: Salut d'Amour
I've heard this in the orchestral form but not for solo piano. It's great to hear unfamiliar pieces and you make excellent choices.

09. Sam S - PS, I Made This ...
Breaking the mould, Sam, how refreshing! It's great to hear you tackle something like this with bounce and energy.

14. Ganddalf - Rustle of Spring
I guessed it might be this or the first of the opus, the Grotesque March. I would not have guessed how it came it out. You're a great source of inspiration for the self-learners and also for those with formal training. It's great to have you here.

53. lyricmudra - Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K. 213 (L. 108)
I spend a lot of time on Scarlatti myself and I really enjoyed your performance of this piece. I'm one of the those who wasn't able to enjoy your Orfeo last time out but I did catch the YouTube link you posted in your comments and have enjoyed that too. I posted a link to an orchestral performance of the Blessed Spirits in a Sunday Classical posting on the RST thread late last year so I know and love the piece but it was very enjoyable to hear a performance on piano. Wonderful playing. Thank you so much.

60. peterws - Mozart k331 1
It's really hard to comment well on on such an unusual performance. It wasn't with the striving for perfection that's normally reserved for Mozart but there was no trail of inaccuracies either. You've clearly spent time on it and recorded at the optimum time for catching maximum energy and enthusiasm with minimum flaws. This was real pleasure to listen to and doubtless a real pleasure to play. It exudes the personality that comes over in your growing list of posts. A rare treat!

33. Yamaha G3&P-80 Mike White - Cancion Del Litoral No. 1
I really enjoy catching new music in these recitals and it's extra special when the piece is well chosen and well presented. You have an assured and experienced touch and bring a lot of thought to this piece.

#2085630 - 05/20/13 08:38 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

03. wouter79 - Prelude, Op.32 No.12
A demanding piece to tackle with such a short background with the instrument but there's no shortage of verve. It's very satisfying to reach a point where you can sit back and tell yourself that although the piece isn't yet as good as you want it, it is at a stage where you can call it initially complete. It's yours now. Keep with it.

05. Saranoya - Piano Sonata 14 - Adagio Sostenuto (a.k.a. Moonlight Sonata - first movement)
Nice to hear you on your own and on your own instrument smile
You have made a big investment in and commitment to piano playing and it's clear you're going to make a bigger noise than many. You bring a thoughtful intelligence to the music not often shown by everyone who tackles this piece with such a relatively small level of experience and you will be able to bring greater refinements yet over the years. This is not a piece to learn and throw away. It will grow with you and become part of you.

07. Jake S - Moonlight Sonata 1st Mvt (Op. 27 No.2)
This is a great addition to your list of pieces. It's a real treat to hear your progress over the last recitals and watch your repertoire grow with such great pieces. You have a lot of depth for little over a year and increasing confidence in your touch. I look forward to hearing you again in future recitals.

11. Andy Platt - Nocturne in Eb Major, Opus 9. No 2
It's not so long ago you started this, Andy, and you've made very short work of it. What a joy to have it in your repertoire! You're growing at a fair lick now and have some pretty impressive pieces under your belt. This is a fine performance and I've enjoyed listening.

19. earlofmar - Bach Prelude No 1 C Major
Played with a lot of discipline, concentration and considered interpretative decisions. Not what you'd normally expect from someone with less than a year's experience. You have the skills and the wherewithal to go places with this instrument. Welcome to the party.

20. Allan W. - Shevat, the Wind is Calling
This is a captivating performance and suggests that you went quite far in your lessons as a child. There's a maturity and facility in your playing that doesn't come from a year's return. I look forward to more of this. Also welcome!

21. dynamobt / Marilyn Burris - Grande Valse Brilliante in A minor Op 34 no 2
And another new sound is heard in the forest. Welcome, Marilyn. I really enjoyed listening to this infrequently heard gem and how uplifting it is to hear a slightly less challenging piece treated with the intelligence, sensitivity and command that comes from more years at the keyboard than most of those who tackle it. This is a charming piece and a charming performance. I look forward to more of this.

22. PikaPianist - Consolation No. 3, S. 172
Is this conspired? Four debuts together! I've just been pulled up by my bootstraps over this piece so I'm very familiar with it. You offered a very forthright interpretation and allowed its Romantic passion full rein. A good foil after my recent concentration on it with a more gingerly step. This brought back fond memories for me, thank you and well come.

26. Ken - 2 Part Invention No.14
Ooh, a visitor to the classical shores and how welcome. I have just recently added this one to my repertoire, not so many inventions left for me now, yippee! I don't play jazz but I imagine the thought process and approach to the music is quite different nevertheless you've overcome that and still done well for what may take many formally trained classical pianists a good four years so bravo on both fronts.

27. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - An Old Romance
You continue to grow, Cheryl, and have a good range of touches and expressiveness at the keyboard as well as a widening range of repertoire. You won't be straight-jacketed or predictable and every different style increases your range of expression in the others. I find it typically takes five to ten years for a performer’s command and style to stabilise and reach what I think of as critical mass. You don't have so long to go and when you get there it will be a delighted and fortunate audience who hears you play.

And I love carbonara but I prefer to make my own tagliatelle for it.

28. Augustina - Hungary: Rapsodie Mignonne, Opus 410
This piece uses a wide variety of techniques and you will learn much from it. It's also good that you are working with a teacher on it. This sort of music is very demanding for tackling on your own. This will stretch your mastery of the fundamentals too and will lift your playing as a whole. Congratulations on reaching this stage and good luck with your exam.

31. Greener / Jeff Green - Op. 69, No 1. - Waltz in A flat major
You must be delighted with the new instrument, Jeff, and frustrated not to be able to make better use of it. I suggest you spend a little time listening to your previous recitals and piano bar submissions. Until then let me be the one to tell you how much you have improved in the last while. Your playing has taken on a greater precision and control that's quite remarkable for the time involved especially given your history with the instrument.

This is a fine interpretation bringing out all the good things that drew you to it.

The old saw that you can't teach an old dog new tricks is bunkum. Don't fret over the lost time between now and your next spate of free time at the piano. The loss will not result in as much regression as you might be fearing. Good luck with your new job and finding your new home, I hope it happens quickly for you.

32. joangolfing - Sonatina in B Flat Major HWV 585
I just started this piece myself a few weeks ago. Handel is typically much looser in style than Bach but this one is much more like one of the Inventions and played here with a delightful vigour well suited to the music.

36. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.2&3
It's always a big moment for me when I finish a sonata and the culmination of no short amount of time and effort. I hope it's the same for you. And boy, what a sonata to have in your fingers! You must be well pleased with this. I hope you take the time to enjoy many of your own recitals of this music!

40. SwissMS/Doris - Nocturne in F Minor Op. 55 #1
This nocturne for me was a long and difficult birth. For weeks I would show up at the lessons with no progress made once I'd reached the 'difficult' bit. I'm grateful that my teacher was patient but persistent. There's nothing worse than giving up on a piece that thwarts ready learning when you know it's within you because it gives you an excuse not to try harder on the next pieces until you wind up with only easy and unedifying material.

It's both a joy to hear you play it because you bring such discipline and precision to your pieces and also because I know what it takes to finish it. Very well done! And health to enjoy the Bechstein!

#2085633 - 05/20/13 08:41 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

41. hotcat - French Suite 4--Allemande
Another newcomer, and well met. This piece has a lot of subtle difficulties that are hidden by a quick perusal of the score. I think it's even easier to sight read than to polish because you can get away with so much more imprecision and there's not that much polyphony going on here. You've clearly had enough 'on' in your off and on over the years and hopefully will continue with this trend.

44. Sand Tiger - Canon in D
Congratulations on your achievement, it's always good to reach a long held goal. You bring to the piece the love you have for it and you have the touch you need to express it with as much delight as you brought to Shadow and Shimmer but when you're playing someone else's music there are extra pressures and demands made of your expressiveness. You could transform your interpretation of this piece by making use of a metronome or practising counting or clapping. You might try an easier piece while you're getting used to the extra demands on your concentration but it will lift this piece without requiring you to learn any extra technique.

You might dig out the original of this piece from IMSLP and see that the 'cello plays four notes each bar throughout and your left hand should be able to take that on without alteration. Only add as much of the right hand (from the first violin) as you can manage without interrupting the tempo. You might compare the version for four recorders and take the first recorder in RH.

45. Pavel.K - French Suite No. 6 in E major - Menuet (BWV817)
Another fine performance from you, Pavel, showing great control and musical sensibility. Is this 16 months a misprint? I suspect another couple of years hidden away somewhere.

46. PianoStudent88 - Lyado Is Seriously Ill, Op. 62 No. 3
There's a firmer command of the keys here and continued signs of progress. It's nice music and it's good that you enjoy playing it but your technique and sensibility are ready now to tackle greater things.

47. UK Paul UK - Chopin polonaise in Gm
Welcome to the recitals. This is a very nicely played piece and it's wonderful to hear it. There are relatively few opportunities to hear the polonaises. I suspect this isn't your finest hour but there's nothing seriously wrong with it but I would have liked something to compare it to - perhaps next time! The fact that you've tackled it and overcome its technical demands shows that there's some substance in the eight years of dabbling.

48. ElleC (Michelle) - Aria (Bist Du Bei Mir)
Another debut performer and this is super, Michelle, excellent control and a confident, assured and balanced hand throughout keeping the dynamics and timing just so. It was wonderful to listen to except for a painful bit where my jaw dropped too hard as I read 'five months'! I hope I get over this before the next recital and I hope I hear you playing in it.

51. windywindy - Little Prelude in Em, BWV 938
These Little Preludes are trickier than they look but you've got this one. The fun you enjoy comes through and there's no harm in it but if you want to keep it in your repertoire you might include some slower repetitions, too. I hope to hear some of your K331 around August 15 wink

54. scorpio - A Story From Long Ago
Yet another newcomer! These recitals are in a very healthy state. The trouble, when it's a 'short piece, nothing fancy', is that it becomes magnet and amplifier for gremlins and every wrong note is a greater percentage of the whole but you've overcome or avoided all those potential dangers and put in a sterling performance. You have good control of the phrasing and a very intelligent interpretation. Well done for making such a great debut!

55. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Ecossaises, Op.72 No.3, No 1 in D major
Thoroughly enjoyable performance, Sam, and a wonderfully jolly piece. You have an impressive talent for the piano, thanks for sharing it with us.

56. aTallGuyNH - Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No 7
This is a lovely performance and a lovely story to go with it. It's a piece that will stay with you for a long time. It's still one of the first pieces I play when I begin my repertoire cycle.

57. Aimee O - Op 102 no 3
Aimee, that's a smashing improvement in three weeks. Quite unrecognisable! You've put a lot of effort in and a lot of 'you' comes out. This was really accomplished and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. Congratulations.

58. carlos88 - Prelude #2 (Voiles)
You're obviously very comfortable with Debussy. With two years back as an adult you must have gone quite far as a child/teenager and it can't have been that long ago as there's a good deal more than two years in those hands. I look forward to hearing what you do with Grieg.

59. stumbler - Sonata in E major K380
Welcome to the recitals, stumbler, just! The experience of between 39 and 1 is very cryptic but your facility with the instrument is quite evident. You've brought a lot of energy and joy to a very engaging piece. I listened a few times as I don't have the score for this piece; I only know it from an old and crackly version by Horowitz. It's a good listen and I'm really enjoying it but I can't help thinking it might be better if...

You have good control and all you need to make this a very fine piece but you lose a little clarity every now and then, not because you can't play it but because perhaps you practise it only at performance tempo when a slower run every so often might lift it. Thanks for sharing it and don't cut it quite so fine next time smile We don't want to lose you.

I promised myself I would only comment on a few pieces this recital as I lost a lot of time on the last one and I have much to do with the Grieg Recital and the next instalment in August as well as catching up with Bach and Scarlatti material dropped to accommodate a greater amount of Mendelssohn.

Alas, the pieces were too good and as I had to listen to them each a few times anyway...

This is another thoroughly enjoyable recital. Can they really keep getting better every time or do the older ones become jaded in the memory? Perhaps it's that there's so much that's new when the recital first gets published. Whatever; thanks to the organiser and participants in equal measure, it can't exist without both.

It's great to listen to new music, or old music with new interpretations, to hear what and how well everyone else is doing and it's been very interesting reading the comments on everyone's pieces and what different people see in them (especially the nice ones on mine, thank you all so much for that) but the real value of the recital for me is the focus it generates on my practise knowing that other people are going to listen critically. It makes me do the same and that is a very valuable habit. I might just not bother if it weren't for the recitals.

#2085668 - 05/20/13 10:18 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Another wonderful recital - roll on August! Here are my final 10:

51. windywindy - Little Prelude in Em, BWV 938 Well, since you said too fast I won't repeat it but ... wink You did control it amazingly well though and the flow through the piece was great. I would try to get a better separation between the voices (probably speed) but this was super fun!

52. Starr Keys - My Funny Valentine A beautiful introduction - your piano teacher was spot on! Nice phrasing and a really great accompaniment. Your vocals 100% suit this piece, and I detect a growing confidence too. The performance was so tender; the accompaniment suited it perfectly - the harmonization was wonderful. Just loved this!

53. lyricmudra - Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K. 213 (L. 108) I often think with Scarlatti Sonatas there are two problems - picking one, and then playing it. You obviously got over the first issue but you didn't just play it, you own it. Too often I hear kids racing through this sonatas like they are a Grand Prix track but you have got a perfect tempo. There is just a wonderful tone, clear voicing and subtle dynamic shifts that work wonderfully. It certainly doesn't sound like an 18th century piece, but yet retains it's baroque origins nicely. Fabulous.

54. scorpio - A Story From Long Ago This took me to the plains within the first measure. It's so simple and you don't do anything wrong - so it ends up sounding just way more than it should! The piano sound totally suited the piece too. Great.

55. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Ecossaises, Op.72 No.3, No 1 in D major I haven't heard his ecossaises before - as you say, very much upbeat compared to Chopin's normal, though there is a tinge of melancholy left. Well, if you say all those faults are there, I believe you but it sounded like a wonderfully accomplished performance to me. You kept the rhythm going really well and I liked the clear melodic lines.

56. aTallGuyNH - Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No 7 Very nice performance. Slower than my piano teacher likes so it's probably the perfect tempo (I'm joking about her of course, but she kept telling me I played this too slow!). I really liked your phrasing of the repeated chords and you did a great job of keeping the upper voice bright too.

57. Aimee O - Op 102 no 3 I really enjoyed this; you kept a wonderful sense of the rhythm driving forwards and the piece always had somewhere to go. It sounds a little more polyphonic in parts than Mendelssohn usually does and you did a wonderful job of keeping those voices clear and present. I would be super happy with this performance!

58. carlos88 - Prelude #2 (Voiles) I think you've nailed Debussy here, this performance is veiled "exactly" right - without getting too dirty. You bring out the voices clearly when needed and make the piece very understandable, which is difficult with this kind of music. I felt your dynamic changes were great and there was some wonderful coloring throughout. The big arpeggios were magnificent!

59. stumbler - Sonata in E major K380 More Scarlatti - and again, resisting the urge to go at Mach 2! This was a very nice performance, you did a wonderful job of keeping the melody and accompaniment in balance. The little rhythmic motive that makes up the made idea of this piece was well brought off.

60. peterws - Mozart k331 1 Hmm, if your wife sounds like this I'm married to the wrong woman wink. I think you did a great job keeping this piece moving forwards, though at times the tempo slowed a little too much. You generally kept a great balance between the melody and the accompaniment but watch that throughout because occasionally it needed to dial back the left hand a tad. You have a wonderful separation between the different sections without disrupting the flow. Great end to the recital!

Kawai K3

#2085692 - 05/20/13 11:03 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I am seeing how very important the individual comments are to me. I feel like I have dropped the ball by not making comments on each person's submission. Darn!, it's like I have ADHD or something!! It was not easy for me to take the time to listen to each selection let alone write comments. But, I do see how much each person's comment on my piece means to me. So, I will strive to do better. I know there is no deadline on making comments. So, I have no excuse not to get listening again and noting down a word or two about each piece.

I thank each of you who commented on my Chopin Waltz. I'm quite stunned at how complimentary some of you have been. I'm not used to many comments about my playing. It was really nice to get these pats on the back!! I am so glad that the forum was so helpful on my getting recording equipment!! Even participating in one recital makes it all worth it!!! I really mean it folks. Some times I couldn't believe people were commenting about me. You were all so encouraging and supportive. Thank you so very much!! Your words mean a lot to me!

#2085705 - 05/20/13 11:37 AM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: zrtf90]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Saranoya
46 Pianostudent88 -- Weird and wonderful is right! I was first introduced to Katchaturian with the previous ABF Recital. I liked his music then, and like it even more now. Something of his is going to have to go onto my 'some day' list.

There are seven more pieces in this Opus (and then there's a volume two) so you may get to hear a lot of Khachaturian!

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
46. PianoStudent88 - Lyado Is Seriously Ill, Op. 62 No. 3 What a great title for a piece! My teacher wants me to become more familiar with modern piano music and this sounds like a great one to suggest. You bring out the harmonies wonderfully well, smoothly joining what could sound otherwise very strange. Beautifully phrased too, and the shaping of the chords worked well.

I'm glad you liked the phrasing and shaping. These are aspects I don't think I'm very good at (well, I'm trying to improve) so it's nice to hear I'm succeeding.

Originally Posted By: wouter79
46. PianoStudent88
piece: Khachaturian: Lyado Is Seriously Ill, Op. 62 No. 3
piano sound: good clear sound. I expected some better bass and authority given that this is a steinway grand, probably the mic is doing no good there.

musical:
overall impression, like: Sounds nice. Interesting piece. The chord progressions have some weird logic to them.
Phrasing: nicely done with dynamics and speed. I'm missing a few breathing points but I don't know if the piece would even allow for that.
rubato, speed changes: mostly stable speed, starts with a slow speedup, and slowdown at very end. Little slowdown just before 2nd half starts. Congrats at finally getting the speedup issue solved!
Dynamics: yes, nice
articulation: pedaled properly, seems to fit the piece.

I'm glad you liked it. Many of my best tips for improvement have come from you.

Regarding the bass: one thing I dislike very much is an overbearing bass, so I tend to be quite gentle with the bass. However, your comment makes me think I should practice giving more presence to my bass lines.

Regarding the pedaling: the piece is marked with the first two beats of each 4/4 measure pedaled, and the last two beats not pedaled. I pedaled it throughout instead (sometimes change on each of beats 3 and 4, so as not to smear the harmony) because I prefer the more connected sound that gives. I can't decide if Khachaturian thought the single beat pedaling obvious and hence didn't write it in, or if he intentionally wanted a connection on the first two beats but then disconnection on the second two beats. Some internal evidence in the piece suggests the latter, but I still prefer it my way instead.

Breathing points: I'll be paying attention to these in the next pieces I work on. Thanks for the observation.

Originally Posted By: stumbler
46. PianoStudent88: Lyado Is Seriously Ill, Op. 62 No. 3
I really like this piece. I'm not familiar with the Adventures of Ivan, but from your playing, I know that I want to hear more of it.

Your wish is my command smile . Stay tuned for future recitals.

Originally Posted By: peterws
46 PianoStudent88 - What a great technical piece this is! Well done; I`m left wondering if the patient will recover. Sounds like she may not . . . !

In the next piece all will be revealed...

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
46. PianoStudent88 - Lyado Is Seriously Ill, Op. 62 No. 3 - New for me, but quite interesting. You're right, it's weird and wonderful at the same time. Thanks for the technical information. You did a really good job.

Thank you CarlosCC. I'm glad you found it interesting. I'm fascinated by these Khachaturian pieces, and it sounds like I'm not the only one.

Originally Posted By: Sam S
46. PianoStudent88 - Lyado Is Seriously Ill, Op. 62 No. 3 I think Ljado is very ill - hope he makes it! You brought out the mood very well - nicely done.

What's interesting about mood to me is that often I'm not thinking "mood", in terms of emotive or descriptive words. Instead, I'm following the markings in the music, and the sound. Then it miraculously (due to the genius of the composer) comes out sounding with the composer's intended mood. This is very gratifying.

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
46. PianoStudent88 - Lyado Is Seriously Ill, Op. 62 No. 3 Very interesting piece ! One I've never heard. It certainly creates the sensation of something not being right, building a sense of worry and tension! - poor Lyado, must be very ill indeed! Nicely played!

I think my goal is for my own piano playing talent (or lack of it) to get out of the way and simply allow the composer's intent to shine through. My role is to accurately and thoughtfully learn and perform his music. Glad you found this interesting.

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
46. PianoStudent88 - Lyado Is Seriously Ill, Op. 62 No. 3 This is a very interesting piece. You brought out the sadness and gave the piece a restrained, mourning sound. Well done!

Thank you, SwissMS. Similar to what I said to Sam S, I'm not consciously trying to sound mournful, but fortunately Khachaturian has written that into the music so if I perform it sensitively to the sound, it comes out.

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
46. PianoStudent88 - Lyado Is Seriously Ill, Op. 62 No. 3
There's a firmer command of the keys here and continued signs of progress. It's nice music and it's good that you enjoy playing it but your technique and sensibility are ready now to tackle greater things.

Thanks you zrtf90! I like your comments because you recognize that I still need to make progress, and also see the progress I have made (which I don't notice easily, since it happens so gradually). What would you suggest for "greater things"? There are 7 more pieces in this Khachaturian opus, and another 10 in the next volume, and I'm very fond of him! But I could interleave some other pieces smile .

I'm currently working on Clementi Sonatina #4 in F major, and Chopin Prelude in Db major Op. 28 No. 15 (Raindrop). These are both going VEEEERRRRRY slowly because I'm memorizing them as I go and I am VEEEEERRRRRY SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW at memorization. I'm also working on Für Elise, and occasionally sporadically pulling out 2 different arrangements of Pachelbel's Canon in D. I'm missing Baroque at the moment and thinking I should return to Bach -- Little Preludes I think, before starting Inventions. (These of course in addition to more Khachaturian, where I'm working on several pieces at once.) But what would you suggest I learn?

#2085782 - 05/20/13 02:02 PM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: zrtf90]
Pavel.K Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
45. Pavel.K - French Suite No. 6 in E major - Menuet (BWV817)Another fine performance from you, Pavel, showing great control and musical sensibility. Is this 16 months a misprint? I suspect another couple of years hidden away somewhere.

Thank you! To be honest I was experimenting with "TeachMe Piano" application and MIDI keyboard for several month a few years ago. I learned to play some simple measures with right hand only. That was all my previous experience with instrument playing. You are right I am not counting this officially. smile
What really kicked me up to take piano playing seriously was DVD set "Learn & Master Piano with Will Barrow". I followed just a few lessons but that guy helped me a lot to start playing. This intro is already counted in my 16 months experience.
I have a suspicion that the control you hear from my playing is caused by a sampled piano (Ivory II) I am using. You cannot hit a key in a wrong way smile I have never been playng on an acoustic piano (which I regret) I am sure it would be a disaster smile
Anyway I was listening to a lot of electronic music since my early childhood so I assume this helped me a lot to feel classical music now when I am thirty one. smile

Originally Posted By: Saranoya
Another surprisingly subtle and expressive Bach performance. You guys are all making me want to play more Bach!

Thanks you smile I was quite surprised that I have started liking Bach music recently smile

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Two pieces from a French Suite - great recital!! I think you have found out how tricky Bach is to get right but you make it sound wonderful. There is nice interplay between the different voices, and a great warmth to the performance.

Thank you, Andy. Yes, I wanted to sound like that. I was charmed when I heard this menuet for the first time. I am glad I was successful to interpret it in a similar way.

This is one of my favourite parts from that suite. It looks simple, but needs the right phrasing to bring it off. You've done that nicely.

Thank you. I feel it in that way too grin

Originally Posted By: peterws
Elegantly performed; ya got that trill at the end too. Great piano sound all round!

Thanks a lot. The trill could be better but generally I am satisfied smile And yes that Ivory sampled piano sounds great.

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
I don't know this piece, but it is quite beautiful. Great job.

This is what I like on these recital events. You will hear a lot of great music you never heard before. Thank you, Carlos.

There is nothing easy about this - you did a great job!

Thank you, Sam. I have felt a little guilty because my previous performance (Nocturne 21) was much more challenging. This is main reason why I wrote that this piece is simple smile

I can never have too much Bach in my day! I was charmed with your performance, it was sweet, light, lovey little ornaments - most enjoyable!

Thanks a lot!. I wanted to sound like that. I was charmed when I heard this menuet for the first time. I am glad I was successful to interpret it in a similar way.

A three voice Bach piece after only 16 months experience is quite an achievement. Great job! I enjoyed the interplay of the voices.

Huh, three voices? I though that there are two voices only. smile Maybe in the last two bars, I guess? Anyway thank you for your kind comment smile

#2085792 - 05/20/13 02:23 PM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Pavel.K]
stumbler Offline

Thank you SwissMS, Andy

Richard, I agree, I still have work to do on this piece. As you suggest, it really needs some more slow pratice. But at least I managed to join in for this recital. It is interesting that you mention a Horowitz recording, the recording I'm most familiar with is from "Horowitz in Moscow". I've tried to emulate his light playful approach to this piece, but he's Horowitz. It's not as easy as he makes it sound. (Between 39 and 1 reflects the fact that I took lessons for a few years starting in 1974 and started lessons again last year. I never completely stopped playing, but there were times (especially when I had carpel tunnel syndrome) when practice was sporadic at best.)

3. wouter79: Prelude, Op.32 No.12
I agree with your teacher, you are ready for this. It's beyond me, so I can't offer much in the way of technical feedback. I'm impressed with the quality of the recording.

4. ladypayne: Chim Chim Cheree
Great arrangement. Fun to listen to.

5. Saranoya: Piano Sonata 14 - Adagio Sostenuto (a.k.a. Moonlight Sonata - first movement)
Beautiful to listen to.

6. dannylux: Elgar: Salut d'Amour
This is one of those pieces that seems so familiar, but for some reason I've never known its name or who wrote it. Well played.

7. Jake S: Moonlight Sonata 1st Mvt (Op. 27 No.2)
Two great performances of the same work, but each individual in its own way, both sublime.

8. CarlosCC: Joana's Secrets
I couldn't tell that this was a beginner composition. It sounded like it could be the main theme music from a movie. Great job.

#2085839 - 05/20/13 03:39 PM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: PianoStudent88]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88

Originally Posted By: wouter79
46. PianoStudent88
piece: Khachaturian: Lyado Is Seriously Ill, Op. 62 No. 3
piano sound: good clear sound. I expected some better bass and authority given that this is a steinway grand, probably the mic is doing no good there.

musical:
overall impression, like: Sounds nice. Interesting piece. The chord progressions have some weird logic to them.
Phrasing: nicely done with dynamics and speed. I'm missing a few breathing points but I don't know if the piece would even allow for that.
rubato, speed changes: mostly stable speed, starts with a slow speedup, and slowdown at very end. Little slowdown just before 2nd half starts. Congrats at finally getting the speedup issue solved!
Dynamics: yes, nice
articulation: pedaled properly, seems to fit the piece.

I'm glad you liked it. Many of my best tips for improvement have come from you.

Regarding the bass: one thing I dislike very much is an overbearing bass, so I tend to be quite gentle with the bass. However, your comment makes me think I should practice giving more presence to my bass lines.

Regarding the pedaling: the piece is marked with the first two beats of each 4/4 measure pedaled, and the last two beats not pedaled. I pedaled it throughout instead (sometimes change on each of beats 3 and 4, so as not to smear the harmony) because I prefer the more connected sound that gives. I can't decide if Khachaturian thought the single beat pedaling obvious and hence didn't write it in, or if he intentionally wanted a connection on the first two beats but then disconnection on the second two beats. Some internal evidence in the piece suggests the latter, but I still prefer it my way instead.

Breathing points: I'll be paying attention to these in the next pieces I work on. Thanks for the observation.

Great to hear that my comments are useful for you!

The bass might be fine for real, but just weak on the recording. So before you start playing the bass louder, I think someone should check the real sound.

Ah, if Khachaturian marked a lighter pedaling than what you actually played, this may well be the breathing that I miss.

#2085863 - 05/20/13 04:20 PM Re: Recital #30 --- General Discussion Room [Re: wouter79]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sinophilia

03. wouter79 - Prelude, Op.32 No.12 This sounded incredibly difficult and there's not much I can say, except that I loved it.

Good that you liked it! Yes my description made it sound difficult and it was. But did the music also actually SOUND difficult to you?

03. wouter79 - Prelude, Op.32 No.12 I listened to this before reading your comments. From listening I could tell that it had to be challenging, but your final result sounded so smooth that you made it seem effortless. That is a true accomplishment. I continue to marvel at the abilities you have developed in such a short time. My sincere compliments for a most enjoyable performance.

That's great to hear. Yes making stuff like this sounds easy is what is needed, the listener should follow the flow of sound instead of thinking that it's hard.

Originally Posted By: AimeeO

03. wouter79 - Prelude, Op.32 No.12 Oh, to play Rach.. you did a nice job with this. You kept it under control, and the dynamics were awesome. Your hard work has paid off!

Thanks for this, good to hear smile

03. wouter79 - Prelude, Op.32 No.12 Excellent job on a difficult piece.

Thanks Sam for the compliments!

03. wouter79 - Prelude, Op.32 No.12 Wow! Rachmaninoff after only 3½ years playing is pretty impressive. I thought you had nice balance between the the soprano accompaniment and the melody. You have really nice expression and control in this very busy piece.

It's great to hear that the expression came out well balanced and controlled. Really hard with this piece. But playing just the notes without the right expression would be a waste of time.

03. wouter79 - Prelude, Op.32 No.12
A demanding piece to tackle with such a short background with the instrument but there's no shortage of verve. It's very satisfying to reach a point where you can sit back and tell yourself that although the piece isn't yet as good as you want it, it is at a stage where you can call it initially complete. It's yours now. Keep with it.

Thanks for the compliments! Good to hear that the expression is coming out sufficiently.

3. wouter79: Prelude, Op.32 No.12
I agree with your teacher, you are ready for this. It's beyond me, so I can't offer much in the way of technical feedback. I'm impressed with the quality of the recording.

Thanks stumbler!

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12 minutes 29 seconds ago
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
Today at 06:44 AM
Kawai's CS series are hard to find..
by vcsel
Today at 06:14 AM
Which Treble Mute works the Best?
by Paul678
Today at 04:39 AM
Blubbering and friction
by music32
Today at 03:22 AM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159977 Topics
2349315 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission