2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2085921 05/20/13 05:47 PM
OP Offline
I've been wanting to post this for a while. The title is blasphemy to some I know. It's stunning really. When you compare one popular Youtube video of River Flows in You in terms of views to practically all of Brahms, Schumanns and Liszt's video views put together there is an obvious conclusion that many have come to: most of the world is stupid and have an adolescent sense of music. Many people on this forum are very open however and don't seem to be confined to such elitist thoughts smile

I believe that music at its core when it was started thousands of years ago was precisely a form of expression, a form to express emotion. There is something that many of us miss when we hear such a song like River Flows in You. Of course its not as grand as a Tchaikovsky piano concerto but alas it has captured many people's ear but why? Let's have a look shall we...

After a 4-measure intro, the theme is presented. The theme is played over a 2-measure repeated bass, consisting of f# minor, D major, A major, and E major, for about 20 times repeating the same 8 chords over and over. In other words, Yiruma employs an extremely simple harmony scheme.

The piece has an ostinato bass, lack of variety in dynamics and uses hardly any modality at all. There are no sudden changes to catch the listener off guard. Yiruma uses no dissonance. There is no raised leading tone, and in fact no seventh in the E major chords. In fact, there are no accidentals in the entire piece! So why oh why does this piece capture and garner so much attention?

This is a serious question but a not new one. Beethoven complained that he wrote much better works than his C# minor sonata and was upset that so many gave that one so much attention. Rachmaninoff grew sick and tired of playing his own prelude in C# minor as the crowd would relentlessly scream for encores. And yet we know that many pieces seem capture the attention of so many. And after listening to these pieces I think I have the answer. One word: Melody

Yes great composers use fantastic melodies all the time but some are so inexplicably connected to emotion that it boggles the mind and yet there it is. Many composers compose with a mathematical precision of a laser beam but melody... pure melody comes from feelings within.

So my question is: Why do you believe so many have people are drawn to this song? This one song alone easily has over 100 million views.

I don't believe the answer is that they are simple and easy to listen to. Many songs fit that description and fade away in to the abyss.

Last edited by King Cole; 05/20/13 07:54 PM.

"What is genius? To aspire to a lofty aim and to will the means to that aim" -Nietzsche
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I did not know who Yiruma was, so I googled the composer/artist/title and listened to it on youtube. It did very little for me, so I cannot answer why so many people have been drawn to this piece. I'm not sure how one can equate number of youtube views however with quality or appeal. Rebecca Black's "Friday" video has 53 million views, almost twice as many as the Yiruma. What inference can be drawn from that?

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't like River Flows in You much at all. I've listened to maybe four Yurima pieces and I only like one (which I like a lot and find much better than the others).

The Sunbeams...They Scatter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY1pRmfw9GQ

If anyone wants the score please PM me.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/20/13 07:56 PM.
B
B
Isn't 'brilliance' and Yurima an oxymoron? wink

BTW, I'd always thought Yurima is a brand of low-fat yoghurt......

If music be the food of love, play on!
But this thread is actually very interesting. People (and I include myself in) indeed love simple, effective melodies...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Don't you mean, "THE BRILLIANCE OF YURIMA!!!"?

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by JoelW

Whatever he meant, however he meant to spell the performer's name, I don't find anything remarkable nor "brilliant" in either the harmonic progression or the melody of "The River ..." in question.

There is, I see, a "60-minute version" on Youtube; the mind simply boggles at the thought, doesn't it?

As has already been observed, quantity of Youtube hits hardly is a seal of quality on a work. Perhaps the performer has a large following among a certain age group/mind-set/ethnic background.

Perhaps the well-informed in the Non-Classical forum can explain.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
OP Offline

Thanks JoelW

"What is genius? To aspire to a lofty aim and to will the means to that aim" -Nietzsche
OP Offline
Originally Posted by BruceD

Whatever he meant, however he meant to spell the performer's name, I don't find anything remarkable nor "brilliant" in either the harmonic progression or the melody of "The River ..." in question.

Regards,

I don't necessarily think Yurima is brilliant per se, I don't know. I do feel like he stumbled upon a very effective melody

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

There is, I see, a "60-minute version" on Youtube; the mind simply boggles at the thought, doesn't it?

As has already been observed, quantity of Youtube hits hardly is a seal of quality on a work. Perhaps the performer has a large following among a certain age group/mind-set/ethnic background.

Perhaps the well-informed in the Non-Classical forum can explain.

Regards,

Different strokes for different folks I guess. "A River Flows in You" by Yurima is... a well-written composition, but it's not my style to say the least, and certainly not comparable to the works of the past composers.

Originally Posted by King Cole
I've been wanting to post this for a while. The title is blasphemy to some I know.

Is the blasphemy part because no-one seems to know if the name is Yiruma or Yurima?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
It's because of the scandalous description of the pianist in question as "brilliant". grin

Regards,

Polyphonist

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission