Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2086119 - 05/21/13 04:41 AM Soundbar
Eggman Offline

Loc: UK
Killing time while waiting patiently for delivery of my new Kawai VPC1 (end of May). I will be using it mainly with Galaxy Vintage D. My main speakers are floor standing Mission M33 speakers positioned about 4m across the rooom from the VPC1. I like a really up close sound to my piano and I have been thinking about adding some close up speakers for in your face sound. I dont particularly want to drop a couple of ugly speakers on top of the Kawai VPC1. A tidy solution would be a quality soundbar, similar to these, sitting on the back of the VPC1.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/soundbar/products

As anyone here tried using one of these soundbar devices for up close piano sound?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2086125 - 05/21/13 05:21 AM Re: Soundbar [Re: Eggman]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
I have not used one myself, however, I am curious if soundbars will become popular in the near future for DP's and synths. Looks like Korg is giving it a shot making an optional soundbar for one of it's keyboards: http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORPAAS

#2086136 - 05/21/13 06:51 AM Re: Soundbar [Re: Marko in Boston]
PuffleDunk Offline

Having shopped for A/V soundbars, I'd be careful. Some are optimized for dialog. In general they're not particularly focused on music reproduction and linearity.

Please take my opinion for what it's worth (not much).

#2086158 - 05/21/13 08:00 AM Re: Soundbar [Re: Eggman]
Eggman Offline

Point taken. A lot of the Soundbars seem to try to emulate Dolby surround sound and I guess would be pretty useless for use on top of a controller keyboard. Others emulate stereo 2.1 which again would possibly be no good for piano sounds as some frequencies would possible be sent through to a centre speaker within the enclosure. There are some however which can switch to straight stereo for use with a docked iphone etc.

I am looking for a Soundbar that gets close to the length of the VPC1 so a straight 1:1 stereo spread would be most realistic but i guess these things are designed to sit under max 50" TV's so I would have to adjust the stereo width setting on the Galaxy Vintage D. Interesting concept though :-)

#2086187 - 05/21/13 09:56 AM Re: Soundbar [Re: Eggman]
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
The Korg soundbar looks interesting--3 channels and 5 actual cones. And some of the Kawai stage pianos have a multiple speaker configuration that sounds very, very good. Just makes sense for a piano sound.

I would be careful about some of the soundbars that are made for tv's: beneath the mesh, many of them just have two small cones.

Edited by Jake Jackson (05/21/13 09:58 AM)

#2086190 - 05/21/13 10:05 AM Re: Soundbar [Re: Eggman]
dje31 Offline

That would be an elegant solution, if someone clever comes up with one that's more music / keyboard-oriented. I love the sound and performance of my M-Audio SPBX8 monitors, but they're big, bulky, and a bit of an eyesore.

#2086195 - 05/21/13 10:20 AM Re: Soundbar [Re: Eggman]
Eggman Offline

I have located one of these,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elonex-i32-Sound-Bar-Motorised/dp/B00133EXA6#productDescription

Its discontinued but my son uses one under his TV. I haven't heard it but he reckons it sounds pretty good. "big and warm" he reckons :-)

The tech spec recons..."It incorporates a powerful 60W array of 6 speakers and integrated subwoofer"

he's bringing it around tonight for me to try it out. :-)

#2086351 - 05/21/13 04:04 PM Re: Soundbar [Re: Eggman]
Eggman Offline

Ok, I just tried it and there is definitely some worth to considering the use of a stereo soundbar. The sound was good but the unit I used had a sub built in that I could not find a way to reduce the sub level, so the bass notes where a bit boomy. The top end was lovely though. I increased the stereo width of my galaxy vintage D to match my controller width and the stereo effect was very pleasing and very natural. I think I am going to look into this further while waiting for my VPC1. The unit I just tested was a £100 budget model with 6 speakers built in, i'm going to see if I can find a better mid price solution with a greater width and controllable sub woofer. Apart from the boomy bass the test soundbar sounded really nice and warm and had strong volume and very good stereo imaging.
Bit of a result really ;-)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (accordeur, AmateurBob, 36251, 42 invisible), 1695 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156142 Topics
2292937 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
07/24/14 06:09 PM
Guidance for Publishing
by Dachshund
07/24/14 06:02 PM
Keith Emerson Playing NY in October!
by Piano World
07/24/14 05:52 PM
Action parts any different from 80s,90s, 2k Charles Walter?
by Gatsbee13
07/24/14 04:36 PM
Question about finger reach!
by Plopsy
07/24/14 04:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission