2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 273 of 425 1 2 271 272 273 274 275 424 425
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Mark. I wonder if the 478pp 1973 edition from Knopf contains both works.

Last time I ordered through Amazon they sent me the order twice, billed me twice, and charged the wrong card. It was set right eventually, but that's why I don't even look at them anymore. Barnes is not bookstore heaven exactly, but I've had better luck--- or less bad luck.

Clef

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think the 2nd volume only came out in 1980; if so, the one you mentioned would be just the 1st volume.

I've bought a lot on Amazon and have had almost entirely good experiences, but I'm sure it's 'not always' and I don't blame you for avoiding them since that happened to you.
I do the same thing after something like that happens. And it takes me years to get over whatever it was, sometimes never. smile

C
C
One thing Amazon is good for is postage cost. It's free (at least in the UK). It does take a while to arrive though. I personally have only had good experiences with them, and use them a lot.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I've been ordering from both the US Amazon and the UK version (and even once from France) regularly for years. I order a lot of used books in particular. I've never had a single problem with them, ever.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I was lucky enough to find both volumes of the Rubinsein in our local library. And I had 3 months to read them, which was great since it took me that long.

I've never had a single problem with Amazon or e-bay, for that matter.

I think I will go ahead and order Dr. Kallberg's book. It sounds intriguing.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I am just about to order Dr. Kallberg's book, but I read one of the reviews.

Dr. Kallberg: Please, please, please don't tell me that Chopin made "advances" to Solange. I just can't envision his doing this, since he considered her almost like a daughter.

Kathleen

J
J
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
I am just about to order Dr. Kallberg's book, but I read one of the reviews.

Dr. Kallberg: Please, please, please don't tell me that Chopin made "advances" to Solange. I just can't envision his doing this, since he considered her almost like a daughter.

Kathleen

Dear Kathleen: Did someone say this in a review? If so, it misrepresents what I wrote. There seems to be some evidence that Solange was infatuated with Chopin - the great Sand scholar Georges Lubin writes about this in his edition of the Sand correspondence. Moreover, Sand and at least one of Sand's acquaintances (Emmanuel Arago - this info comes from a letter he wrote in July 1847) thought that Chopin's "paternal affection" for Solange had transformed itself (without Chopin being conscious of it) into something else as Solange grew into a young woman. But these reactions came in the middle of the heat of the breakup, were certainly colored by it, so are difficult to judge. And even if one takes the darkest view of the evidence, being unconsciously attracted to a young woman is pretty far from "making advances" to her.

Jeff

C
C
This is quite a elementary question regarding pronunciation, but how do you pronounce 'ballade'? Is it as in 'salad' or 'bollard', or neither? Or does it depend on where you come from? I don't like saying either because I don't want to 'embarrass' myself, and hopefully this will clear it up. Finally, are there any other words like this I might be mispronouncing?

Edit - does anyone know why my signature keeps going funny. It seems to be the accents.

Thanks.

Last edited by Chopin4life; 11/22/09 02:01 PM.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
Originally Posted by Chopin4life
This is quite a elementary question regarding pronunciation, but how do you pronounce 'ballade'? Is it as in 'salad' or 'bollard', or neither?...

Neither.

A lot of people pronounce it like the regular word "ballad" (and sometimes it's even SPELLED that way -- in fact, in the current Cliburn YouTube competition, one of the contestants is spelling it that way!). And the words "ballad" and "ballade" are related in their meanings. But.....

"Ballade" is pronounced "bah-LAHD."

Good that you asked. I enjoyed answering. smile

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you so much, Dr. Kallberg, for your very prompt reply. Both of the reviews appeared on Amazon and were probably not written by scholars (?) This is the one that upset me a tad. But now that I reread it, I could have misinterpreted the "approaches" statement near the end. blush
For instance, Aurore Dupin, pseudonym George Sand, the French novelist - later Baroness Dudevant - who wrote in masculine genres, was grotesque in her absurd ideas of love and she tortured the Polish Chopin who mainly composed in feminine styles.
Chopin must have felt her mind was a region utterly difficult to penetrate under the best of circumstances (she was six years his senior) hence the approaches he made to her daughter Solenge.
Chopin, fearing to be in the shadow of the strong willed George Sand of aristocratic lineage (through her father) and a distant relative of Louis XVI, would have none of it. Both were unhappily powerless.

Then this review:
we are all aware of the greatness of chopin. a few are privy to the greatness of george sand. here finally we learn a little of the chemistry which flowed between these two giants of the artistic paris in the 1840's. also importantly, the details, clearly presented, of the questions concerning chopin's music of the last years. this is a calm and reasoned book, showing the author's comprehensive knowledge of the subject. this is not a biography, rather a set of vignettes on particulars of chopin's life and gorgeous music. if you want some brilliant and clear-headed discussion of his gender ambiguity as a person and as expressed in his nocturnes, i encourage you to read this fine work.

Well, I have been sufficently encouraged! Thank you again. smile
Kathleen

C
C
Originally Posted by MarkCannon
This is quite a elementary question regarding pronunciation, but how do you pronounce 'ballade'? Is it as in 'salad' or 'bollard', or neither?...

Neither.

A lot of people pronounce it like the regular word "ballad" (and sometimes it's even SPELLED that way -- in fact, in the current Cliburn YouTube competition, one of the contestants is spelling it that way!). And the words "ballad" and "ballade" are related in their meanings. But.....

"Ballade" is pronounced "bah-LAHD."

Good that you asked. I enjoyed answering. smile

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't think I know anyone who says it like that, but then again, I don't know many people who share my interest in Chopin.

Venables & Son 152
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"Is there such a thing as a well-adjusted genius?

I'll say yes to that, Kathleen--- not that I know every genius in the world. But I've known some very bright--- even brilliant--- people who were admirable in their qualities of empathy, emotional groundedness, and sense of balance regarding what is right and wrong, including having a decent respect for others. Of course, there are plenty of people who come up short; genius, ordinary, or on the dumb side... and also those who are a very good sort of people who may not be the brightest. Talents don't necessarily have genius to help them along. These qualities strike me as occurring independently.

I wonder what the distribution curves would look like, if we could measure these qualities and superimpose the graphs. Things many times follow some species of bell curve. Maybe there is some clinical consensus whether brilliance and emotional imbalance are correlated--- I don't know. Monica might. As long as we can agree to say that "well-adjusted" doesn't mean "perfect," I feel pretty safe in answering your question with a "yes." I'm pretty surprised so many answered otherwise.

It's been my personal experience that painting types of people with too broad a brush doesn't work very well, even though it's tempting and sometimes it is, just exactly, true. But there are exceptions even among the exceptional, and we all face challenges in life.

The cases of Beethoven and Chopin are a fair example. I've known people with manic-depressive illness (and there's a range, even within that), but it seems to me that Beethoven falls short of it. I know too many people who have had a lifelong struggle with a too-hot temper, or who too easily fall into the blues; they seem to span quite a range of the human potential. Of course, my saying so is a long way from proving it.

Your question is very interesting. I'll bet there's a PhD thesis in the answer.

Clef

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Reviews on Amazon are precisely as reliable as posts on Piano World. They may be written by anyone at all, anyone from a genuine expert to the most pathetic idiot. The first review of Jeff's book Kathleen quoted was apparently written by the latter type-- also by someone who was not a native English speaker. About the only things that reviewer got right were the names of the personages involved.

I have never heard "ballade" pronounced in any way other than "bah-LAHD," as Mark wrote it.

I'm wondering why Chopin4Life's signature line is still screwy, too. For a while there all accents were coming out funny, and perhaps it's left over from that time? Maybe redoing it would work now. Changing the spelling to the original "Fryderyk" would also bypass the problem.

There probably is a PhD thesis in the discussion of genius and mental illness. Somewhere long, long ago, I read that there was no correlation, but I don't know whether that's true. One thing I would point out is that mild mental "illness" is far more common than one might expect, and so would be likely to hit geniuses as much as anyone. I've been surprised by what my patients tell me about that. These are generally folks who are quite functional, but so many are challenged by anxiety, depression, etc. I think these things are pretty much part of the normal human condition, and it's only when they really get out of hand that we notice them in others. That is, many people are suffering quietly, and you'd never find out about it unless you were a close friend or family member-- or their doctor.

Both Chopin and Beethoven had severe, very long-term health problems that caused persistent suffering and could probably drive anybody round the bend to at least some extent. Chopin remained remarkably sane under the circumstances.

By the way, a few years ago I was trolling the Web trying to do some historical diagnosis on Our Friend, and I read a list of mental and emotional symptoms of late-stage obstructive pulmonary disease. It sounded a lot like Zofia Rozengardt's descriptions of him.

Elene

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Neither.

I saw "ballada". laugh
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Elene
.....I have never heard "ballade" pronounced in any way other than "bah-LAHD," as Mark wrote it....

You must be blessed with a very high level of friends and colleagues. smile

But seriously folks ha all my music colleagues have always said it right. But when I've heard people without a classical music background try to say it (including "emcees" at some performances!), they rarely say it right, and "ballad" is the usual mispronunciation.

Originally Posted by LisztAddict
I saw "ballada". laugh
[Linked Image]

Great get!! smile

And really, most of these musical forms have different names in different languages.
Like, polonaise is sometimes "polacca" (I guess that's Italian). And at the Warsaw competition in September, if I remember right, the program book (and the announcer) used different names than the familiar ones for quite a few of the Chopin pieces.

C
C
Originally Posted by Elene

I'm wondering why Chopin4Life's signature line is still screwy, too. For a while there all accents were coming out funny, and perhaps it's left over from that time? Maybe redoing it would work now. Changing the spelling to the original "Fryderyk" would also bypass the problem.

I did put it right once before when this happened. I'll try once more, just because 'Frédéric' looks more aesthetically pleasing than 'Fryderyk', in my opinion. Maybe it's just me...

Venables & Son 152
J
J
Dear Kathleen,

Oh that review. In the troublesome phrase "hence the approaches he made to her daughter Solenge [sic]", I take "approaches" more innocently to mean something like "the friendship he developed with Solange". But I guess one can't be sure!

Jeff

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
.... if I remember right, the program book (and the announcer) used different names than the familiar ones for quite a few of the Chopin pieces.

Yes, but they are not so different from the names we use. Nocturne = Nokturn, mazurka = mazurek (mazurki for plural), barcarolle = barkarola, polonaise = polonez.

Just the key signatures I had trouble with like cis, fis, gis, as, es, b is b-flat, and h is b.

Well yeah, but "ballade" and "ballada" aren't that different either! smile

Page 273 of 425 1 2 271 272 273 274 275 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission