2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 26 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 25 26
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JFP
By the way - I don't think developing iApps is cheap by default.
So they could have spend that money on re-engineering the SN engine.

I didn't say that developing apps is cheap. But once developed, the incremental manufacturing cost of supplying them is zero. It also costs money to develop better modeling algorithms and whatever else you may include in "re-engineering the SN engine" but unlike an app, there is more likely also an addition to the manufacturing cost for more processing power or whatever.

At any rate, the fact that they are paying programmers to develop iOS apps does not mean that they are not also paying programmers to continue to work on their other technologies, SuperNatural, etc. And odds are they are not the same programmers.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by Hookxs
In fact, some settings are "global" and for some reason (like unfortunate result of a coin flip) cannot be saved to registrations (=presets). This includes (but is not limiterd to) EQ or all Piano Designer settings.

This even afflicts the flagship 700NX wrt compressor and sound focus, iirc.

F
F
Just wondering if anybody with fp-80 had any luck playing mp3's on usb stick through their piano speakers? I followed manual instructions and can get as far as seeing the various folders displayed but cannot see individual songs. Notified Roland but no response for 3 days.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I expect you will need to convert the audio file to WAV format, as I don't believe the FP models can playback/record MP3.

You may be able to get away with simply changing the extension of the file from .mp3 to .wav, however make sure you turn the volume down, just in case the instrument attempts to playback the data as uncompressed audio.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
According to the manual that's true. Only midi and wav. But hey, why should someone support such an uncommon format. Kawai should better develop ios apps than integrating such useless features ;-)

C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by free thinker
Just wondering if anybody with fp-80 had any luck playing mp3's on usb stick through their piano speakers? I followed manual instructions and can get as far as seeing the various folders displayed but cannot see individual songs. Notified Roland but no response for 3 days.

Free Thinker: It is not possible to playback MP3s through the USB to the FP-80.
According to the manual only these formats can be played back:
Standard MIDI Files (Format 0, 1) -SMF
Roland original format (i-Format)
Audio Files (WAV format, 44.1 kHz, 16-bit linear)

Do not change .wav to .mp3 as James stated (sorry James). That will not work what so ever. Those are two completely different formats and changing the endings will just mess up those files and they will not work at all.

It is though, I believe, possible to play MP3s when hooked up wirelessly with an iPhone or iPad.

Last edited by Cmin; 05/15/13 03:08 AM.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
Originally Posted by Cmin
Do not change .wav to .mp3 as James stated (sorry James). That will not work what so ever. Those are two completely different formats and changing the endings will just mess up those files and they will not work at all.

I agree, it's unlikely to work, but is surely worth a try.

The RD-700NX supports MP3 playback (I believe it's currently the only Roland instrument that does), so it's possible the that functionality also exists in the FP models, but that the file browser is just hiding the .mp3 extesion.

As I say, it's unlikely, but renaming file extensions is rather more straightforward than converting a load of MP3s to WAV, so again, it's worth a try. wink

Cheers,
James
x

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Seemed the RD700NX had/had problems simultaneously playing back MP3 files and the performer playing the SN sounds. Could lead to cut off notes. Perhaps that's why they only support WAV for now, since it doesn't need decompression (using the CPU). It does lead to a higher data-stream however; obviously that's not a problem.

Quote MagicK: "Kawai should better develop ios apps than integrating such useless features ;-)"

Yeh ... and add a mic input with harmonizer crippled by half-baked effect routing...

F
F
Just tried changing .mp3 to .wav on fp-80. The song comes up on the screen and looks like it's playing but no audio. After stopping, error #18 comes up. format un-supported. It was worth a try though.

Last edited by free thinker; 05/15/13 12:07 PM.
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
*.wav is actually just a riff container with pcm data. I think there is a way to properly embed *.mp3 data into a wav riff file, but I don't know how. (And here it probably wouldn't anyways.)

Indeed, worth a try.

C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
On the FP-80 I've been playing a lot with the first three SN-pianos, Concert, Ballade, and Bright. I strongly believe that these three are different sample banks. I noticed impurities in different keys, key ranges in these. In concert it is the range of Eb1-F#1 and on the bright piano it's the Ab4. It is not bad, but they are different samples. Ballade seems quite clean but also very mellow/soft in sound.

As I say - it is not bad. Maybe it is a realistic string or cabinet resonance recording.

Last edited by Cmin; 05/18/13 02:20 AM.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
E
E
I Have also played a lot with the FP 80
and the more I play, the more I love it.
you can tune the sound as you want and the piano dynamics / key connection to the sound, is incredibly good
I take a lot of pleasure playing with this piano.
Now I am more using my NU1 for "training" session, for improving my technics, But I am using the FP 80 for "pleasure" , this piano is perfect for my Jazz practice
As it is so easy to get the piano reacting as you want.

I have not noticed any "imperfect" sound, and really like all the SN piano sounds

For those who are asking about the hard bottom up of the keyed, I can say that I find the keybed really really good (quite light, but it is was I was looking for)
and I have no finger pain after 'very) long session.

By the way, I have a question for FP 80 owners: have you find the way for having 2 pianos sounds overlaying ? and not only a piano sound with an EP sound or string sound (which is clearly explained in the manual, but nothing about overlaying 2 piano sounds)

Cheers

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by enzo.sandrolini
I
By the way, I have a question for FP 80 owners: have you find the way for having 2 pianos sounds overlaying ? and not only a piano sound with an EP sound or string sound (which is clearly explained in the manual, but nothing about overlaying 2 piano sounds)

You can only select sounds from an other bank to layer. So the only way to double pianos is to select the second piano from the 'Other' Bank (for example #41). Yes, those are GM sounds, but not all that bad.

Cheers,
Lenny

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
How does Ballade compare to Studio?

C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
All right.... here is a brain teaser:

In the functions menu the Audio Transpose does not work at all.
Another strange feature is that the Mic Harmony affects the audio input as well - I'm sure that is a flaw.

Last edited by Cmin; 05/21/13 07:17 AM.

Cheers,
Lenny

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi Cmin,

is there a bug report / feature request page somewhere on the Roland forum(s) and/ or corporate site ? One that does actually get through to the right people ? I suggest posting your findings there as well. If Roland doesn't hear from it , they will probably never fix or enhance things in a firmware update. I'm pretty sure no relevant Roland employee is reading this forum, so they won't be aware of flaws or things that can be done better. (If there is a a roland representative ; please reveal yourself ;-)

Just a suggestion. Mike and James are all eyes and ears and will pick up issues or request very fast when they are described on this or other fora, but for Roland I think some aggressive and properly directed action from the customers itself may be necessary to get things done...

C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi JFP. It was hard enough finding a customer support email address on the Roland site. Yes, I have sent in a request a couple days ago an just now received an answer. They didn't quite get my problem though and gave me some bizarre answer. I will try it again.

Cheers,
Lenny

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Unfortunatley, after bringing up some issues on un-pragmatic behaviour of the HP, I also got from them a very short justification why things are implemented as they are, but no sign of really willing to improve something. frown
At least I got a description how to better use the HP according to the user operation workflow as they have it in mind. So, I received some 'workaround' instructions, but of course would prefere a real improvement...

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
"You're holding it wrong" (you dumb...).

Familiar ?

Page 15 of 26 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission