2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 80 of 119 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 118 119

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Thank god for facebook... I was skimming my newsfeed, and I came across a post talking about Einaudi's Washington D.C. concert "tomorrow" night. Some weeks ago I booked plane tickets, hotel, and a ticket for that show... but I had it in my head that it was WEDNESDAY night, and I had told my hubby I was leaving first thing Wednesday morning, and made arrangements to pick the kids up at school that afternoon etc.

Yikes! eek Words would not express how I would've felt if I had shown up a day late at the airport, but "deeply chagrined" comes close, as does "pissed." laugh

Now I just need to get done in a few hours everything I had planned to do in 30. Oh well. It's worth it to get to see Einaudi.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What a story, Monica...
C'mon, hurry up! Don't be late, you can't miss the concert. If it's the same as that seen in Lisbon, it is worth every effort.
Have fun!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
K
K
I have now listened on Youtube to some compositions by Ludovico Einaudi and I felt he is extremely repetitive...

... it seems to me he uses the same repetitive tones, again and again...and again...

...and I could not make anything of it...

Am I missing something and if, what is it?

Thanks from Kristina.

Last edited by Kristina1; 05/22/13 10:37 AM.
A
A
It's a minimalistic kind of music. It sets a mood with a theme and builds on that. I find it can be relaxing, even dreamy, and indeed easy to listen to. You'll find there's little -actual- repetition, however. There are variations all the time, without disturbing the mood. You can hear much of Einaudi's music used in movies. Perhaps most famously in the French film Intouchables. A beautiful story highlighted by Einaudi's beautiful music.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Kristina1, I agree mostly. I can listen to one but am yawning for the second - maybe because it is as Allard says, so relaxing and dreamy. I doubt that I will get through trying to play one of his pieces but I'll give it a try. I do have I Giorni but had never heard it before following the links above. Someone had shared their score with me. I thought it was a bit like some of Yanni's piano pieces and I do enjoy them.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

A
A
The Una Mattina album is mostly too slow for my taste. I like Divenire and In a Time Lapse much better. Not familiar with his older music.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kristina1
I have now listened on Youtube to some compositions by Ludovico Einaudi and I felt he is extremely repetitive...
... it seems to me he uses the same repetitive tones, again and again...and again...
...and I could not make anything of it...
Am I missing something and if, what is it?
Thanks from Kristina.

Good question, Kristina.
Believe it, or not, I also think there are some (few!!!) repetitive pieces. But, I don't know if you are "missing something" or if you just don't like his kind of music, which is perfectly normal.

There are dozens of pieces of Einaudi and I can discover different "tones" in many of them. Can you be more specific regarding with the "repetitive" pieces? Which pieces are you talking about? Maybe we can guide you...

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

Got back yesterday from the Washington D.C. concert. It was amazing. I wish I had time to write a thorough review, but I'm turning around again and leaving tomorrow for Atlanta. But all those wonderful things everybody was saying above about this year's tour? They're all true. This is the third time I've seen Einaudi perform live, and I'd have to say it was the best, in part because it was the longest concert of the three, with two solid hours of music. heart

The biggest surprise? Newton's Cradle. As others have said, the live performance of this piece is just fantastic, WAY better than the album version.

I waffled between going to the D.C. show or the Chicago show, and I ended up going to D.C. because I found a cheap airfare. That turns out to have been a lucky break, because I read on Facebook that bad weather held up the ensemble in D.C., and they didn't make it to Chicago in time for the concert the next night. Einaudi gave an unplanned solo performance instead. I'm sure it was terrific, but since I've seen him play solo before I'm glad I got to see the ensemble this time. AnthonyB was at the Chicago show, though; if we're lucky he'll check in here and let us know how it went.

I recorded the show on my Zoom. After I get back from Atlanta I'll check it out to see if the sound came through good enough to upload some of it.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Monica, I told you. It's an amazing show!
I'm glade you like it.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
K
K
Thank you, Allard, Palmpirate and Carlos for your kind thoughts and explanations.

I have listened to “Divenire” and two or three other compositions by Einaudi and his music makes me feel concerned.

I feel very strongly – at the moment - that Einaudi tries to "lull my music-alertness" into a "false sense of security" by not promoting my thoughts, my alertness or even my love and feelings for music - like many classical composers succeed to do...

...Einaudi's music seems to me - at the moment - as if he tries to “lull my senses artificially” and take away my alertness and I am not quite convinced...

I feel – at the moment – that Einaudi "has found a niche" somewhere... it appears to me he is not quite pop-music, but he is not that far away from it either

Perhaps I should listen to him again ... later on... to see...

Thanks from Kristina.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Kristina1, nice to know that Einaudi's music causes different feelings and "views" on you...
I really don't know how to classify his music, perhaps "new-classic" is the best word to use. It's the term I use when someone listens me play some of his pieces, and asks what was I playing.

He has a long career and he's changing his "moods" along the time - that's visible when you listen random pieces -, so I would suggest to use "our" ABF Recital Index, and try to pic some of the most played pieces of him. That would be a good start.

ABF recital index - Ludovico Einaudi pieces

Enjoy!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
K
K
Thanks again, Carlos,

I have listened to Einaudi again and he still reminds me a little of Richard Clayderman’s “Ballade pour Adeline”... it seems to me that - in a very modern, very sophisticated way – this ”minimalist” music replaces somehow original tribal drum-beats, which repeat themselves ... and as a result they have a very hypnotic-relaxing effect on the listener... eventually hypnotizing the listener into a dull state of mind...

Perhaps I have to give it much more time and listen to Einaudi again later on...

Thanks again from Kristina.

An absolutely delightful photo of Einaudi in L.A. came across the Facebook forum page that I just had to share here. It shows a more playful side of Ludo than we are accustomed to. smile

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A great photo, playing in Le Onde. laugh

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
I failed to give a little review of the Boulder, CO concert my wife and I had the pleasure of attending in late May. Before this event if you had offered me the choice of seeing Ludovico play alone, as he did in Chicago, or with his full band I would have taken 'alone' without a moment's hesitation. Generally when I go to watch a pianist as the star it's that person and instrument in whom I'm interested and anything else is distraction, even if pleasant and melodic.

After the concert I'll say that I am very glad that we saw the full show. His supporting cast sometimes had me paying attention to them instead of Ludovico. They were amazingly skilled and versatile (some playing 3-4 different instruments), energetic and, most importantly, jelled well with the piano. It looked like Ludovico really enjoys playing and performing with them as well.

It was a fantastic concert. He played with a little higher energy and passion than is on the CD but to see it live it was just perfect. And now even though I can barely keep my existing repertoire in muscle memory I find myself working on three new songs. Pleasant sigh...

1986 Yamaha C7E (owned since it was new...we've had quite a journey together)

http://www.youtube.com/user/SwayingTree65
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
SwayingTree, I saw Ludovico playing alone in 2011 and, this year, I was at the Time Lapse show.
They are different concerts. The first, is more intimist; the other is more "designed" for the show.
Both are great and Ludovico is well prepared for both situations.
I'm glad you liked it!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

The Einaudi Facebook page just posted a link to this "Time Lapse" concert video (hour long), for those of you who weren't able to make the tour this year (and those of us who did but just want to repeat the experience! smile ). What I would've given to be in that intimate audience. 3hearts

Showcase: Einaudi "Time Lapse" concert with ensemble

G
G
I'm not an adult, so I don't really belong on this forum (section), but since I really enjoy Ludovico Einaudi I thought I'd post here. smile

After watching Intouchables, I wanted to learn to play Fly and Una Mattina. Didn't start with the latter yet, but I can play the former. Or at least I know the notes.

It's not complicated music, but you can put a lot of feeling in it. In fact, you probably have to. Just playing the notes is not enough.

I do have problems with playing the triplets in Fly though. In my head I know how it should sound like, but I always end up playing them as "normal" notes instead (sorry, I'm not really down with the terminology). When I do try to play them correctly, I just hit the first note of the triplet harder than the rest. Which might be what I am meant to do. :P

Welcome to the forum, Gijs. smile We're not fussy about age on AB forum, and I'm happy to see any fan of Einaudi posting on the thread. I found your statement that "just playing the notes" of Einaudi's music is not enough to be so very true. Expression is everything. thumb

Originally Posted by Monica K.
Welcome to the forum, Gijs. smile We're not fussy about age on AB forum, and I'm happy to see any fan of Einaudi posting on the thread. I found your statement that "just playing the notes" of Einaudi's music is not enough to be so very true. Expression is everything. thumb

Of course "Expression" is by Helen Jane Long. wink All jokes aside, this is the key to the key to Einaudi's music. It's all about touch and feeling and that last 10% is the difference between hitting notes and making his music.

1986 Yamaha C7E (owned since it was new...we've had quite a journey together)

http://www.youtube.com/user/SwayingTree65
Page 80 of 119 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 118 119

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission