Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
113 registered (anamnesis, Almaviva, anotherscott, Anita Potter, ando, 30 invisible), 1388 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2087108 - 05/23/13 12:40 AM bass restringing questions
phacke Offline

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014

Loc: CO, USA
Hello,

I would like to get the presumably original bass (copper-wound) strings in my '33 Steinway M series piano changed. Most of the notes on the main bridge sound quite good, so it is not obvious that I really need to have those strings changed. I would like to hire out the change to an experienced technician, but was thinking that I would do the grunt work myself while the bass strings are getting changed out, such as cleaning the oxide off the trichord unison strings that normally run under the bass strings.

My questions:

1) Reblitz (2nd Ed. 2 p. 288) string change-out method says to raise the pitch to tune on the bass bridge strings last. This implies that it is safe for the piano to have no string tension on the bass bridge with the main bridge fully populated and tuned. Do I have this correct?

2) The piano has the original size 2 pins (I measured them). If it turns out when changing the bass strings that we also need to increase the diameter of the tuning pins for the bass strings, would it be too weird to have larger diameter pins for the bass strings only. I am not looking to make a museum piece piano, but would like to keep things respectable.

3) Any recommendations for bass string brand? or are they all about the same. Steinway NY indicated they use Mapes presently (though I can't be sure this means all strings in the scale), and Heller writes that he supplies strings for Steinway 'houses' in Germany, but I don't know exactly what that means.

4) Also in the string area, do the custom shops like Isaac, GC, Arledge, J D Grandt, and Heller generally try to replicate the original scale, or do they do their own thing for string mass/diameter for re-optimization of longitudinal vibration modes, etc?

Thank you for your consideration.

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Sonata No. 1 in B minor (BWV 1014) duet with violin
F. Chopin, Prelude 28 (15)

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2087139 - 05/23/13 02:04 AM Re: bass restringing questions [Re: phacke]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Well, you've got quite a list . . .

1) Correct. Never a worry.
2) Typically you would want to go up 1 or 2 sizes. This would mean a pinblock replacement when full rebuilding would take place. Not necessarily a problem, because pinblock replacement is more often than not the appropriate step, anyway.
3) Different brands do have different characteristics. Arledge uses soft copper in order to be able to do the automated former-Baldwin-patented "Synchrotone" thing. They sound good. Isaac "Profundo" are hand wound and use hard copper and spring stainless underwrap along with a minimal alternative swaging. They sound good put on and continue to open up as time passes.
4) You can have it your way. Typically Isaac recalculates.

#2087143 - 05/23/13 02:19 AM Re: bass restringing questions [Re: phacke]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Replacing the bass strings on a piano that old without replacing the treble strings is bad practice. The treble strings may sound okay in comparison to old bass strings, but they will not in comparison to new bass strings.

#2087289 - 05/23/13 10:40 AM Re: bass restringing questions [Re: BDB]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: BDB
Replacing the bass strings on a piano that old without replacing the treble strings is bad practice. The treble strings may sound okay in comparison to old bass strings, but they will not in comparison to new bass strings.

I would agree that all the strings are the same age and have lost their original liveliness. As a matter of general principle, it is better to keep the piano consistent rather than different bits here and there.

#2087332 - 05/23/13 11:26 AM Re: bass restringing questions [Re: phacke]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
I find that replacing the bass strings alone makes a huge difference, and that any amount of tone loss of plain wire strings (in good condition) is negligible.
Bass string replacement should really be done by a technician, especially if you want to preserve the value (resale or otherwise) on your Steinway.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2087372 - 05/23/13 12:11 PM Re: bass restringing questions [Re: Supply]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
http://www.jdgrandt.com/order-complete-sets.html

I prefer ordering from JDGrandt and asking them to rescale. As their website points out, you can get 'duplicate' of the original strings, but the best result comes from letting modern knowledge of scaling and bass-string production into the picture.

Yes; slightly oversize on the pins is not a problem. I prefer to use the 'Lo-Torq' tuning pins from Pianotek. These keep a #2-size on the head, but a 3 or 3-1/2 on the shaft. Slightly more spendy (Klinke/Diamond), but I have been very pleased with keeping the #2-tuning tip in place for the whole piano. Good quality, and very nice appearance, too.

Yes; if the orignal plain-wire are in good condition, no rust or corrosion, then you'll likely be fine with just restringing the bass. If you have corrosion and/or some replaced wire in the tenor/treble then you should restring the whole instrument.

Unloading the bass only?
Not a problem, but I actually prefer not pulling all the strings at once. As I send a paper pattern and measurements to JDGrandt this means I have the new strings in hand with the old wire still in place. I pull 4 to 6 strings at a time, and install the new strings in series. This keeps a more balanced load on the piano's structure, and I think is better than yanking 40-50 strings at once from the total tension on the piano. Given a choice, at least. Sometimes, if the bridge needs attention, you do what you must!

Consider the related work, too. Dampers should be replaced in the bass for the new strings. Hammer reshaping, regulation, etc. Damper guide-rail bushings sloppy? There is quite a lot to consider and check as part of the job. Simply replacing the wire is only a part of the picture here. Be thorough to get the best result.

From the armchair,
.02--------ching!

#2087383 - 05/23/13 12:22 PM Re: bass restringing questions [Re: phacke]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

In a 1933 instrument all of the strings and wire are past due for replacements. The bass section can be done only but eventually they would have to come off to restring the treble side so with all of the tooling in place why not complete the entire scale.

I always include new felt damper plates in the quote. Using the old damper felts does not allow good seating/ damping.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2087709 - 05/24/13 12:26 AM Re: bass restringing questions [Re: phacke]
phacke Offline

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014

Loc: CO, USA
I really appreciate everyone's instructional comments. Thank you very much indeed. I was thinking of just cleaning the plain wires (they are significantly oxidized, especially where they are hard to reach under the bass strings; none seem to have been replaced), but the bias I hear above is to replace all strings even if the wires sound OK given the opportunity when the bass strings are off. We'll see how the quotes for these scenarios look.

As for bass string brands, it seems that different technicians have good experience with different ones. I do appreciate the hints above.

Best regards,

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Sonata No. 1 in B minor (BWV 1014) duet with violin
F. Chopin, Prelude 28 (15)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Tuned a 1960's Kranich and Bach Studio upright
by Paul678
Today at 09:18 PM
How to learn everything and anything about piano?
by MrMusicianship
Today at 07:22 PM
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
Today at 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
Today at 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
Today at 04:34 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160070 Topics
2350687 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission