Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
128 registered (anamnesis, 36251, AndyP, accordeur, acoxcae, 35 invisible), 1424 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2087954 - 05/24/13 12:12 PM Piano decisions
piano_1 Offline

I've been shopping for a grand piano and am having a hard time settling on exactly what I want. Here are three options I'm looking at. Would be curious about any input you'd have about my thought process.

1. A fairly modern Kawai, probably a KG3, circa late '80s or early '90s for $8,000-$10,000.
This seems like the logical, rational choice. I love the sound of Kawais and can't stand the brightness of Yamahas. Just a personal preference. I know this would be a reliable piano I could love for a long time, but the downside is that it has no history to it. I like the "soul" of old pianos, as illogical as that may be. My wife is also concerned about how a high-gloss finish would look in our 1920s house and how it would collect fingerprints from our three kids ... but satin finish KG3s seem to be hard to find in my area.

2. An old, well-worn Steinway.
When I play a good Steinway I think "this is how a great piano should sound." I want one. Unfortunately, my budget tops out at $10,000 right now. I could keep saving up for a $12,500 to $15,000 Steinway, but that price range is very much "entry level" for the ones I'm seeing on the market.

3. A low-budget special.
The miser in me is also interested in saving money. An Indonesian, 5'0" Kawai is tempting at around $5,000. It sounds good for its size.

I also played a 1922 Estey that was restored in the 1990s, priced at $2,500, that was cosmetically gorgeous but needs some mechanical work. The tone was good enough that I'm tempted to have a tech check it out and give me a report on the repairs needed (several sticking keys and a metallic clanging sound on the bass notes at forte). I could LOVE this piano for the price, depending on what it sounded like after the repairs / regulation / voicing were completed. That's just hard to judge in its current state.

Edited by piano_1 (05/24/13 12:12 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2087965 - 05/24/13 12:20 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
I have found a problem with saving up in that the amount of inflation exceeds the saving part. So in two more years those Steinways are still out of reach. I think regardless of price piano buying is still difficult. It can be a nightmare with endless choices too not just budget.

You may just have to wait for " The One" that just speaks to you. If you are unsure of a brand make sure your tech you hire for inspection is not a brand loyalist because he may not like anything except the one brand he/she likes.
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2087981 - 05/24/13 12:36 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Welcome to Piano World!

My vote would be for the Kawai KG3... but wouldn't exceed the $8K mark, unless it is in like new condition.

As far as the entry level Steinway, why pay for just a name on the fall borad when the piano is warn out? The older I get, the more I appreciate a "playable" musical instrument.

As far as your low-budget, 5 foot Indonesian Kawai, are we talking new? If so, it may be worth considering further.

I agree with J. Christie, in terms of saving up for the right piano... the older I get, the more I realize that we only live one day at a time... tomorrow never comes. In fact, I wrote a song once entitled, "Happily ever after in the here and now". smile

Good luck, and keep us informend!

Rick

#2087996 - 05/24/13 12:58 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
piano_1 Offline

Thanks!

I've found a 1991 KG3 for about $8,900 total (including taxes and delivery.) Or the same thing, but from 1981, for $7,300 total. Both are in like-new condition.

I was mistaken about the budget Kawai. It's a 5'1" GE-1 from 1984. Weren't they all built in Japan then? Anyway, it's for sale by an individual asking $6,000. Plays beautifully for its size, but I'm afraid I'd always wish it were a bigger model. I could love it for the right price. I'm thinking of offering $4,500 for it. Sound reasonable?

#2088011 - 05/24/13 01:18 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
piano_1 Offline

Also interested in a Kawai GS-50 from the early 1980s. Would be $9,600 total, including taxes and delivery. This one is bigger than the others (nearly 7 feet, if I recall right). But I don't know much about the GS line.

#2088044 - 05/24/13 02:07 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
Rickster Offline

If you have room for the 7 foot Kawai, I doubt you would regret buying it. smile

Rick

#2088264 - 05/24/13 07:05 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
Dave B Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
I'm leaning towards the GS-50 if its in good condition and low wear. My guess is that its been played a lot.

The 1991 KG3 'like new' might be your best buy.

#2091640 - 05/29/13 09:04 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
piano_1 Offline

Just thought I'd post an update.

We found our piano!

After obsessing about it for way too long, my wife and I finally found a piano we both agreed on: a 1917 Steinway Model O. It plays beautifully and actually fits (barely) within our budget at $9,000.

Compared to other "entry level" playable Steinways that I saw priced from $12,000 to $16,000, this one seems to have the best feeling action to my taste and one of the richest sounds. Unfortunately the case has a lot of wear, to put it politely, on the original ebonized finish. Hence the low price.

On the plus side, my wife says she likes the rough case because I won't be freaking out every time my kids touch it. We can get it refinished when they're older smile

I've already had one piano tech check it out for me today. It came away with a clean bill of health. I'm having another tech take a look at it in the morning -- the owner's tech who has serviced it for the past couple of years -- but that's more for information and insight about what he's already done to it.

The delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. Can't wait to get it in our house!

#2091660 - 05/29/13 09:34 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Congratulations!

#2091798 - 05/29/13 11:22 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
Rickster Offline

Wow, congratulations!

Only the most elete, sophisticated, and wealthy own a Steinway (as a general rule)! smile

Post pictures when you can...

Rick

#2092274 - 05/30/13 04:17 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
Carbonblob Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Congrats! Be sure to take pix of it coming off the truck and up the walkway......lol. I documented my delivery and it's fun to look back and remember the excitement. it was much later in life for me and that made it all the sweeter when the day came. You're going to have so much fun playing all your music again and hearing how different it all is. Discovery is half the fun too. I found that I played much better in just the few weeks after delivery. That's what a good action will do for you. Pix are required, that's what they told me.......have fun. blob

#2092316 - 05/30/13 05:14 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
Congratulations.....and we love an update with happy news. Do take pictures of the whole delivery process because it allows your friends on the Forum to share in the fun! I wish you many happy hours of playing and practice on your new baby!
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#2093002 - 05/31/13 04:53 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
piano_1 Offline

I'm neither elite nor sophisticated nor wealthy ... but I do enjoy a good piano smile

I didn't think to take many pictures at the time. Was more excited about playing it that photographing it. But here are a couple.

Attachments
photo(5).JPG (42 downloads)
photo(4).JPG (22 downloads)

#2093020 - 05/31/13 05:30 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Your links don't work for me.

#2093041 - 05/31/13 06:14 PM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
Rickster Offline

Here are some instructions on posting pictures on the PW forum. Note, the digital picture has to be hosted on a web site, which PW has a photo hosting site. Instructions on posting pictures

Here are additional instructions: Once you complete the “upload pictures” form and submit, you will get an email from PW immediately with a web link that hosts your photo. What I usually do is open the link and the photo will be displayed; right click on the photo and select “properties”; copy the address, starting with "HTTP" and ending with "jpg"; paste this link in the “add non-floating image” option in your PW thread.

Then, you can look at your post by clicking on the “preview reply” option and see if your picture actually appears in the post.

I hope this helps, and we all look forward to seeing the pictures of your new-to-your Steinway grand! smile

Rick

#2093162 - 06/01/13 12:19 AM Re: Piano decisions [Re: piano_1]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
Plus when you are done with all that . Rebuilding a Titan V rocket engine in your bathtub will be a snap ! smile
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Tuned a 1960's Kranich and Bach Studio upright
by Paul678
24 minutes 3 seconds ago
How to learn everything and anything about piano?
by MrMusicianship
Today at 07:22 PM
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
Today at 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
Today at 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
Today at 04:34 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160069 Topics
2350674 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission