Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
66 registered (Ben_NZ, Baroque Style, beet31425, Alux, Brandon Sip, 15 invisible), 1234 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.
(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#2086846 - 05/22/13 02:15 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Enjoyed your lunch break. Yum. Nicely played, very relaxed, it breathes. Do submit it.

Well, I don't know if mine was so much arranged or written. I had an hour today, in-between my wife practising her oboe and shopping, I managed to record 3 versions. But I'm glad that it sounds like it holds together . . . (that sounds very Swinglish).

Edited by chrisbell (05/22/13 02:16 PM)

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

Piano & Music Accessories
#2086863 - 05/22/13 02:45 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
Lost Woods Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
I struggle on what to do with the LH comping.

For now, I've two options. Just comp the A / B rootless voicings with 3rd/7th as lowest note. But this means E-7 won't go smooth into G-7 as those A / B voicings don't lay close to eachother.

Choose another inversion of the rootless chord so it's all smooth voice leading. This means for instance beginning E-7 with F# as lowest note, so for E- = F#-G-B-D which leads nicely to G-= F-A-Bb-D.

same for E7#9 to A min. As A- goes "to low".. because it's diving under middle C?

Next to that we see Bb Maj followed by B-b5.. But these are the same rootless voicings (because of b9 C melody in the piece)?!? So 4 bars same comping?

Edited by Lost Woods (05/22/13 02:48 PM)

#2086929 - 05/22/13 04:58 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Lw,
Don't sweat the voicings. Pcik one, let it sinl in and stick to it.
For example g b d fs is fine on e-
E g a d is fine also. Just choose one.

For the b minor the root is nice here. D f a b will work good.
Don't do a lot rhythmically in the lh. Focus on a solid flow in the rh instead.

So many things to think about. ..

Chris, your head definitely sounds arranged, which is nice. The inner lines and parallel 6th (?) are at the right place.
I did steal the 2 handed last motif from you. Come to think of it I should have done 2 octaves instaed of 1.

#2086932 - 05/22/13 05:02 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: knotty]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: knotty
I did steal the 2 handed last motif from you. Come to think of it I should have done 2 octaves instaed of 1.
Yes you should, you owe me a coffee. smile

#2087179 - 05/23/13 06:18 AM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Hey Chris and Knotty
Very nice work. Your lines are relaxed with space and your grace notes add to the cool ambience.
You're gonna top the course.

Chris: you should definitely consider performing this at your next gig.

#2087267 - 05/23/13 10:14 AM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Custard!

We'll see about performing it . . . smile

#2087350 - 05/23/13 11:48 AM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
Lost Woods Offline

Since I didn't have any time this week, I just started today trying to improvise over the 500 Miles High tune... and this is exactly why I didn't try improvising anymore.

I just don't know what to do. Switching between scales at that speed makes me confused. Next to the switching I've also have to make a line which makes sense.. well.. it just doesn't work.

Give me one pentatonic (or blues) scale to use over a whole tune and I can improv.. I'll use the scale, arpeggios, add chord notes (if they aren't in the scale) etc. (on my level). Give me 10 scales over every chord a different scale and it sounds like nothing. Really frustrating.

I can run the scales up and down but well, that's not improvising. What I need are some sort of exercises which give something to hold on. Just giving scales and say: see what you can do with them maybe gives me too much freedom. Don't know where to start!

Edited by Lost Woods (05/23/13 11:48 AM)

#2087367 - 05/23/13 12:04 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Try and look for common tones so that you can connect the scales.
For instance you can use a G on every chord.
Next is to find a second note ex: A (not on every chord, but nearly - not on Fm7)
Then another; F# and F

If you write out the scale tones you'll see that there's several different notes you can combine.
Next is rhythm . . . Patterns . . . it's a bossa . . .

I hear your frustration, but don't let it discourage you, your frustration is a potential for learning.

#2087472 - 05/23/13 02:47 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
Lost Woods Offline

Thanks Chris, I'll keep that in mind!
Well... some of my brain power still goes to the chords in the left hand.. so starting earlier than the deadline date.. to get the comping-chords in the fingers.. would be smart. To be really free in the right hand I can't spend to much brain on what chord to play.

Well anyway, I'll just post it. Can use ANY sort of critisism, ideas etc. on how to get better at this......
https://soundcloud.com/scott-fr-d-ric/500-miles-improv-2

O and for some reason my jazz playing is really rough.. gotta find some articulation tutorials.

EDIT:
Well I listened to yours and it's just awesome.
Some things I hear immediatly (next to the awesome voicings):
- sounds like making use of "sliding" on notes from half up/down?
- what you do on 1.15 and 1.17. It's like running down scale quickly very smooth or something like that?
- 1.36.. such a run sounds so cool.. gotta find out how to make one. Is this something you work out before playing or real improvise?

Edited by Lost Woods (05/23/13 02:55 PM)

#2087493 - 05/23/13 03:11 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Lost Woods]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Lost Woods
Well anyway, I'll just post it. Can use ANY sort of critisism, ideas etc. on how to get better at this......
https://soundcloud.com/scott-fr-d-ric/500-miles-improv-2
Not bad. Nice touch, a relaxed head.
Now you're subdividing with triplets, this is a Latin tune, subdivision works a little better if you think 16ths and little straighter 8 notes.

Well I listened to yours and it's just awesome.
Some things I hear immediatly (next to the awesome voicings):
- sounds like making use of "sliding" on notes from half up/down?
- what you do on 1.15 and 1.17. It's like running down scale quickly very smooth or something like that?
- 1.36.. such a run sounds so cool.. gotta find out how to make one. Is this something you work out before playing or real improvise?

Thanks.
Side-slipping. It works especially best when its a dominant chord, like the E7(#9). Well, listening to Chick Corea play this tune in its original version on the Light as a Feather album will teach and inspire you a lot. Practising with a metronome (or iRealB) is a great aid to getting those runs smooth. (again it's all down to working and practising on subdivisions).

#2087962 - 05/24/13 12:16 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: chrisbell]
Elkayem Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Originally Posted By: chrisbell

Side-slipping. It works especially best when its a dominant chord, like the E7(#9). Well, listening to Chick Corea play this tune in its original version on the Light as a Feather album will teach and inspire you a lot. Practising with a metronome (or iRealB) is a great aid to getting those runs smooth. (again it's all down to working and practising on subdivisions).

Side-slipping? Uh oh, some of these peer review graders are sticklers and are going to expect to hear the "correct" scales wink

#2088260 - 05/24/13 06:52 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Lost Woods]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I just don't know what to do. Switching between scales at that speed makes me confused. Next to the switching I've also have to make a line which makes sense.. well.. it just doesn't work.

Give me one pentatonic (or blues) scale to use over a whole tune and I can improv.. I'll use the scale, arpeggios, add chord notes (if they aren't in the scale) etc. (on my level). Give me 10 scales over every chord a different scale and it sounds like nothing. Really frustrating.

I can run the scales up and down but well, that's not improvising. What I need are some sort of exercises which give something to hold on. Just giving scales and say: see what you can do with them maybe gives me too much freedom. Don't know where to start!

Don't worry LW.
Learning how to incorporate the right mode for each measure could take a few years to master.
If you are stressing out over Week 3, just leave it as the week where your lowest mark won't be counted.
You may find Week 4 easier. I like how Chris suggested common tones to you.

#2088276 - 05/24/13 07:32 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm utterly confused by Week 4.
Can the theory nuts enlighten me, please?

On line 5, we have a guide line:
B Bb A Ab G F# F
I can see that.

So how does that help me solo? Does it mean I get to use this scale (6 chromatic notes) any way I want for these 4 bars?
I think we're suppose to find another line based on third but it doesn't work that great because we get D, D, C and then Ab, to that's more than the whole tone we are allowed.

I actually have no idea what to do with these guide lines.

#2088294 - 05/24/13 08:08 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

oh Knotty, I have to admit that even though I understand the general concept of common tones, I haven't got past Video 2.
Video 2 is utterly confusing to me as well.

Does Gary means guide line = melodic line ?
It didn't seem clear to me at all.

#2088299 - 05/24/13 08:40 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I think the idea is to start on either root or 3rd of the first chord, and then walk up or down using chord tones. That seems to be what he does in his example. Though I fail to see what chord tone of Ab / Eb Gb is.
In other words, we have
E Ab/Eb | C#-7 B7 and so on, and the 2nd guide line is
G Gb E D#

Well I just don't get the Gb.

Help!

wink

#2088303 - 05/24/13 08:44 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Add to that the fact that the tune is super hard, and either me or Keith are skipping beats, in measure 14, on the F-7, it's written as dotted 1/4 , followed by 2 1/4 notes which correctly adds up to 4 beats, but on the first chorus, keith plays 3 8th notes, skipping 2 beats of that measure. The 2nd chorus, he plays all beats though. So I just think he screwed up, but seeing how he's been one of my main source of happiness for the last 20 years, I'll give him a pass wink

#2088385 - 05/25/13 01:35 AM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: knotty]
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So.Cal.USA

#2088386 - 05/25/13 01:41 AM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: knotty]
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So.Cal.USA

#2088391 - 05/25/13 02:00 AM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It would be nice if Gary named the tune he is demonstrating guide tones on so folks could try it... It's "Con Alma" and I transcribed his G.T. lines for you... there was one mistaken note on the video transcription shown and I think he changed the resolutions in the 4th and 8th bar when he played all 3 at once... too bad I cannot upload a .pdf transcription I made of all 3 lines...

#2088392 - 05/25/13 02:05 AM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

From Dan Haerle, a different take on the "guide tone game", well explained and demonstrated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ8i5q1nSsA

"Guide tones are the hooks you hang your melodies on."
"If they're kind of ringing in your head I believe your melody is going to have a stronger shape to it, it's going to lead forward better."
Dan Haerle

And a more basic take on Guide Tones from Emily Remler (a former Berklee student):
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vICCNOtGZ0
Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdER4qTcuRU

#2088461 - 05/25/13 08:05 AM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: rintincop]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rintincop
It would be nice if Gary named the tune he is demonstrating guide tones on so folks could try it... It's "Con Alma"

Thanks rintincop.
This context does help quite a lot.

#2088482 - 05/25/13 09:46 AM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks for pointing out Con Alma. More thoughts later.

#2088484 - 05/25/13 09:51 AM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I see Dave Frank tomorrow. I"m almost afraid to ask...

#2088567 - 05/25/13 12:58 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm digging this whole guide-tone concept(s), maybe it comes from spending all that time playing and analysing Bach Chorales.
It's maybe easier to discuss when one can actually see the notes:

#2088568 - 05/25/13 12:59 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: knotty]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: knotty
I see Dave Frank tomorrow. I"m almost afraid to ask...
Ask ask! smile

#2088762 - 05/25/13 06:59 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: chrisbell]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: chrisbell
I'm digging this whole guide-tone concept(s), maybe it comes from spending all that time playing and analysing Bach Chorales.
It's maybe easier to discuss when one can actually see the notes:

BEAUTIFUL work Chris. Great example of voice-leading.

#2088880 - 05/25/13 10:25 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: custard apple]
Jim Frazee Offline

Loc: Westchester County, New York
Here's my week 4, Memories:

http://snd.sc/13RRzJb

Wish I'd had more time but I'm off to SF in the morning to see the granddaughter and Napa Valley. As I said on the sight, it IS improv, no? thumb

#2088895 - 05/25/13 10:48 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Nice work Jim! This is a hard one.

Chris, thanks for posting the guide lines for Con Alma. I think after I do my analysis, I will post for cross check.

Still I am a bit confused as to what to do with these guide lines. Take the first measure of Con Alma. What notes are you allowed? All notes from the entire guide lines? All notes within any of the 3 guide lines?

#2088918 - 05/25/13 11:08 PM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

OK, so I think maybe I get it. It's that you use it as chord tones, but instead of picking any random chord tone as your target, you pick a line and stick to it for some period of time.

That still leaves you with the issue of knowing what to play between those target notes.
So I assume the chord / Scale relationship is applied here? So on bar 5-5, you'd do F lydian, F# sym dim, and C major. or can you use C lydian on that F# dim, basically F# locrian, which makes it a lot easier with a lot more common tone and keeps it close to what overall seems to be a tune with a lot of G major scale. I'm gonna say that F#dim falls into the 15% where the basic rule does not apply.

I'll work on the 3rd line tomorrow...

Gracias guys.

#2088995 - 05/26/13 03:16 AM Re: Berklee improvisation course on Coursera [Re: Veelo]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Gary Burton mentioned that most chord sequences have one guide tone line, sometimes two guide tone lines, and rarely 3 guide tone lines... He also said the guide tone approach is most useful when the chords are changing every 2 beats (such as the 5th line in "Memories of Tomorrow ") and when they are not obvious ii V I changes... something Gary forgot to mention is that you play your phrase into the next guide tone which becomes the resolution note, you don't play the guide tone as the starting note of each phrase, it's the last note of each phrase. They are points of resolution! Very important.

I like Dan Hearle's approach to "guide tones", shown on youtube, I think it's is less pedantic, more practical, flexible, easier to use, more creative, and funner... in my opinion.
Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ8i5q1nSsA

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Concert prep
by SMHaley
11/22/14 12:19 AM
Gillette Piano Academy
by Jonathan Baker
11/21/14 11:15 PM
I need help with these music sheet symbols
by Cristian88
11/21/14 10:46 PM
Need help identifying Young Chang grand
by electone2007
11/21/14 07:42 PM
Anyone have a burglar step on his grand piano?
by swampwiz
11/21/14 07:16 PM
Forum Stats
77000 Members
42 Forums
159257 Topics
2339505 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission