Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2088889 - 05/25/13 10:38 PM Yamaha and Bosendorfer
pianocritic Offline

Loc: Midwest
I played a Yamaha c7x today and the action is as smooth as silk. Does anyone think that the new x series Yamaha was influenced by Bosendorfer.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2088892 - 05/25/13 10:45 PM Re: Yamaha and Bosendorfer [Re: pianocritic]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I doubt it. Yamaha uses their own actions, while Bösendorfer uses Renner. If one were to change actions, I think it might be Bösendorfer.

#2088910 - 05/25/13 11:00 PM Re: Yamaha and Bosendorfer [Re: pianocritic]
pianocritic Offline

Something has changed. I have a c7 and the new c7x feels smoother. The c7 is great but the c7x is really, really good.

#2088944 - 05/25/13 11:41 PM Re: Yamaha and Bosendorfer [Re: pianocritic]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Maybe that reflects the condition of the action of your C7. They need service every once in a while.

#2089000 - 05/26/13 03:48 AM Re: Yamaha and Bosendorfer [Re: pianocritic]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I think the action is actually exactly the same. What's changed are the hammers, strings, soundboard that allowed for a different feel and level of control. The action in C-series Yamaha has always been extremely good. The piano is a very integral thing, and a change in the hammers could make you feel the action has changed but in fact it hasn't.

As hyped by Yamaha the CX series is heavily influenced by the CFX concert grand, which is apparent, but just how much is the CFX concert grand influenced by Boesendorfer we will never know. These are not the sort of thing that Yamaha would reveal. However, why is it that Boesendorfer's bass bridge have holes in them and now suddenly the CFX has them too? Why is it that Boesendorfer uses open pin block design and suddenly the CFX has an open pin block design? Lots of other changes that points to a huge influence from Boesendorfer but perhaps those are just fine tuning and the major change is through the many years of Yamaha R&D they did after the launch of the CFIIIS in 1991 till the launch of the CFX in 2010. We will never know unless we get somebody from Boesendorfer to tell us.

#2089064 - 05/26/13 08:30 AM Re: Yamaha and Bosendorfer [Re: pianocritic]
Joe Ravita Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh Pa
We have had several clients state the same impressions as pianocritic after playing CX models. In discussion with our Yamaha rep this is directly related to the change to the hammers and strings.
Wexford Pa. 15090 (Pittsburgh)
724-934-5397

#2089104 - 05/26/13 10:20 AM Re: Yamaha and Bosendorfer [Re: pianocritic]
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
I think any "trickle down" effect to the C_X may have come from the development of their CF pianos. At least, that's what was my impression after speaking with some company reps a few weeks ago. Playing the C_X pianos at NAMM immediately after the Bosendorfers, I don't really find a corporate resemblance in action "feel" or sound at all. That's not meant to sound negative, by the way. I think Yamaha actions are great.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2089132 - 05/26/13 11:11 AM Re: Yamaha and Bosendorfer [Re: pianocritic]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
It is amazing what a difference making the hammers lighter, softer and integrating that into how the action is regulated will produce in tone and touch. It is much of what people like about old well preserved Steinways. Bosendorfers have always had hammers lighter than most other makes. Kawai has been trending this way for over a decade.

Of course it might have helped things that I wrote book about the significance of hammer weight to piano tone and touch titled The Educated Piano back in the late 1980's.

#2089232 - 05/26/13 02:25 PM Re: Yamaha and Bosendorfer [Re: pianocritic]
pianocritic Offline

I do have my piano serviced often and the action is superb but I just felt a difference in the cx. Interesting that the hammers made that difference. It just seemed smoother to me in a very positive way. I have not played a bosendorfer for a few years and my memory of the action has dwindled. I guess I was just looking for a reason for the difference in feel. Thanks for all of your comments. That does clear it up a little in my mind.

#2089243 - 05/26/13 02:41 PM Re: Yamaha and Bosendorfer [Re: pianocritic]
Carbonblob Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
I really can't comment with any authority but I when searching for my piano, I wanted a C3. The store had the new CX3 and also carried Bosendorfer. I thought the touch was very near the same but gave the edge to the Bosendorfer. Again, I'm not an expert by any stretch but they both felt great. Almost every other brand I tried felt as if more effort was involved. Even from the CX3 to the C3. The new Kawai GX series has taken a page from their concert Shigeru pianos. They lengthened the keys and did some other things to recreate the concert feel. I would be curious what your opinion is when you get a chance to play one (I don't think they're out there in numbers yet)....blob

#2089252 - 05/26/13 02:52 PM Re: Yamaha and Bosendorfer [Re: pianocritic]
pianocritic Offline

I have not played a new Kawai for awhile but I did prefer the Yamaha to the Kawai when I purchased my piano a few years ago. The Kawai did not seem to be balanced to me and the repetition rate of the Kawai did not seem as good as well. That was just my opinion but a professor of music friend commented the same thing to me in a conversation we had about actions on pianos. By the way he has an older steinway.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (36251, Allard, andy0140, Abby Pianoman, ando, 35 invisible), 1266 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156328 Topics
2295939 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Who's gigging with MP11
by 36251
08/01/14 07:45 AM
piano technician cost list
by ascc
08/01/14 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
08/01/14 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
08/01/14 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
08/01/14 12:17 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission