Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2089249 - 05/26/13 02:48 PM Anybody using a DRUM THRONE when gigging?
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I recently raised my keyboard stand to a higher level, so that when doing solo gigs I do not feel like I am sitting on the floor.

I raised the piano-style bench to 26", and that is a good height, but proved uncomfortable.

Several manufacturers make drum thrones with well-padded bicycle-style seats that go up to 26", most notably Roc-n-Soc, and TAMA.

Anybody have any experience with these, or with anything if playing at a sitting height of 26" or so?

Piano & Music Accessories
#2089456 - 05/26/13 08:24 PM Re: Anybody using a DRUM THRONE when gigging? [Re: rocket88]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
rocket88, I have read your post, here:

I recently raised my keyboard stand to a higher level, so that when doing solo gigs I do not feel like I am sitting on the floor.

I raised the piano-style bench to 26", and that is a good height, but proved uncomfortable.

Several manufacturers make drum thrones with well-padded bicycle-style seats that go up to 26", most notably Roc-n-Soc, and TAMA.

Anybody have any experience with these, or with anything if playing at a sitting height of 26" or so?

I have lots of experience - sort of - but not playing drums.

There are lost of drum stools of different expense and quality. I tried to use a drum stool I had for my old Clavanova but found first of all It was either too short or I was not able to keep it at the right hight. If it is a drum stool with a key to adjust it, the feet will slide down or the post of the seat will side down and it will not easily keep the adjustments so I would use a hose clamp on the seat post. The drum stools are often very, very heavy because guys weigh a lot if they are over 35! years old and drink lots of beers to keep the hand pain medicated from banging on the drums. The other thing is that drum stools are great for a drummer or for other purpose, but the trouble with piano players is that they reach to the left and the right to play octaves and these drums stools aren't that stable - in the context of - a piano bench is sold, very solid, but the drum stool is wobbly if you will - is not good if you have to have perfect postion to play a note based on sitting at middle C etc. If you notice drummers sit pretty straight up and reach out to the cow bell, etc. I haven't seen any weight shifting like I do with piano players.

So by all means try and buy a drum throne but be sure to test it thoroughly playing the piano/digital piano.

As I recall from years ago, drum thrones that are good - and sturdy - cost mega bucks.

cheers, and good luck

Edited by Michael_99 (05/26/13 08:33 PM)

#2090537 - 05/28/13 09:31 AM Re: Anybody using a DRUM THRONE when gigging? [Re: rocket88]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
I use the Roc-N-Soc extended drum throne and love it!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NRXOK/

Mine is set high enough to play standing or sitting. I love the shock absorber and the thick padding. It folds up nicely and doesn't weigh all that much. I'm 6ft 2 and 240 lbs, if it supports me without collapsing it will hold about anyone.

#2090572 - 05/28/13 10:31 AM Re: Anybody using a DRUM THRONE when gigging? [Re: rocket88]
RonL Offline

I use a large DW throne for gigs - it's very comfortable. No problems, bit heavy to move around but I really like it.

#2090741 - 05/28/13 02:31 PM Re: Anybody using a DRUM THRONE when gigging? [Re: rocket88]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks for all the replies...KBeaumont, I was considering the same throne, to be used similarly...thanks!

#2091212 - 05/29/13 08:34 AM Re: Anybody using a DRUM THRONE when gigging? [Re: rocket88]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
Thought about it. Went to music store and messed around with drum thrones and foldable piano benches. Found out why a piano bench is two widths wide. Some stuff you play one cheek to the left if you don't want to lean though the whole thing.
I've got a legless slab Yamaha. I thought I found a good stand/table to put the piano on, then tried searching for the bench. (im on the tall side, no way I can fit my knee under a standard acoustic piano keyboard) Gave up on that. So built an unpadded bench. One day at a jam I sat the piano on the bench. There were standard folding chairs there for the jam. Just for a lark, I grabbed a folding chair and left the piano on the bench. I liked it enough that's the way I still set up. Folding chairs are every where. Everybody at our gigs, if they're sit down gigs, use folding chairs. If I want to play a little more to the bass end I tug the piano to the right.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
52 minutes 57 seconds ago
Baldwin PS2500 ram battery
by mooh320ps
55 minutes 15 seconds ago
height of piano bench
by EBB
59 minutes 3 seconds ago
Tuning a 1977 Yamaha G2-Koval EQ/Koval Avg, Ipad 2 Verituner
by Grandpianoman
Today at 06:41 PM
Darrell Fandrich is Well
by chernobieff
Today at 06:04 PM
Who's Online
108 registered (Auntie Lynn, accordeur, 35 invisible), 1186 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157677 Topics
2316003 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission