2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2088889 05/25/13 10:38 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I played a Yamaha c7x today and the action is as smooth as silk. Does anyone think that the new x series Yamaha was influenced by Bosendorfer.

Piano Critic-A player and listener. Musician-Bachelors and Masters in Music. Retired from Professional life and just enjoying Music.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I doubt it. Yamaha uses their own actions, while Bösendorfer uses Renner. If one were to change actions, I think it might be Bösendorfer.

Semipro Tech
P
OP Offline
P
Something has changed. I have a c7 and the new c7x feels smoother. The c7 is great but the c7x is really, really good.

Piano Critic-A player and listener. Musician-Bachelors and Masters in Music. Retired from Professional life and just enjoying Music.
B
BDB Offline
B
Maybe that reflects the condition of the action of your C7. They need service every once in a while.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think the action is actually exactly the same. What's changed are the hammers, strings, soundboard that allowed for a different feel and level of control. The action in C-series Yamaha has always been extremely good. The piano is a very integral thing, and a change in the hammers could make you feel the action has changed but in fact it hasn't.

As hyped by Yamaha the CX series is heavily influenced by the CFX concert grand, which is apparent, but just how much is the CFX concert grand influenced by Boesendorfer we will never know. These are not the sort of thing that Yamaha would reveal. However, why is it that Boesendorfer's bass bridge have holes in them and now suddenly the CFX has them too? Why is it that Boesendorfer uses open pin block design and suddenly the CFX has an open pin block design? Lots of other changes that points to a huge influence from Boesendorfer but perhaps those are just fine tuning and the major change is through the many years of Yamaha R&D they did after the launch of the CFIIIS in 1991 till the launch of the CFX in 2010. We will never know unless we get somebody from Boesendorfer to tell us.

J
J
We have had several clients state the same impressions as pianocritic after playing CX models. In discussion with our Yamaha rep this is directly related to the change to the hammers and strings.

Joe Ravita
Manager
Modern Piano
Wexford Pa. 15090 (Pittsburgh)
724-934-5397
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I think any "trickle down" effect to the C_X may have come from the development of their CF pianos. At least, that's what was my impression after speaking with some company reps a few weeks ago. Playing the C_X pianos at NAMM immediately after the Bosendorfers, I don't really find a corporate resemblance in action "feel" or sound at all. That's not meant to sound negative, by the way. I think Yamaha actions are great.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
It is amazing what a difference making the hammers lighter, softer and integrating that into how the action is regulated will produce in tone and touch. It is much of what people like about old well preserved Steinways. Bosendorfers have always had hammers lighter than most other makes. Kawai has been trending this way for over a decade.

Of course it might have helped things that I wrote book about the significance of hammer weight to piano tone and touch titled The Educated Piano back in the late 1980's.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
P
OP Offline
P
I do have my piano serviced often and the action is superb but I just felt a difference in the cx. Interesting that the hammers made that difference. It just seemed smoother to me in a very positive way. I have not played a bosendorfer for a few years and my memory of the action has dwindled. I guess I was just looking for a reason for the difference in feel. Thanks for all of your comments. That does clear it up a little in my mind.

C
C
I really can't comment with any authority but I when searching for my piano, I wanted a C3. The store had the new CX3 and also carried Bosendorfer. I thought the touch was very near the same but gave the edge to the Bosendorfer. Again, I'm not an expert by any stretch but they both felt great. Almost every other brand I tried felt as if more effort was involved. Even from the CX3 to the C3. The new Kawai GX series has taken a page from their concert Shigeru pianos. They lengthened the keys and did some other things to recreate the concert feel. I would be curious what your opinion is when you get a chance to play one (I don't think they're out there in numbers yet)....blob

KAWAI RX-3 BLAK
YAMAHA GRANTOUCH GT1
P
OP Offline
P
I have not played a new Kawai for awhile but I did prefer the Yamaha to the Kawai when I purchased my piano a few years ago. The Kawai did not seem to be balanced to me and the repetition rate of the Kawai did not seem as good as well. That was just my opinion but a professor of music friend commented the same thing to me in a conversation we had about actions on pianos. By the way he has an older steinway.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission