2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 47 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 46 47
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Originally Posted by dire tonic
... a few of us have given up their 2nd choice. What is the point of that?

Purely psychological, dire tonic.

When we're trying to entice newcomers to the recital or those that might be undecided (or they would have joined in already) they might not be as forthcoming if there are names already against unassigned pieces and to "pinch" them off someone might make them feel uncomfortable if they felt they weren't able to do as good a job, perhaps.

There's a history of interests in the thread and whilst no-one would look askance if a newcomer opted to do Summer's Eve, say, it would be frowned upon if I took it from Farm Girl as soon as second choices were allowed. But to include them in the main list may not be appropriate.

We could all be reminded of who has expressed interests before the call for second pieces goes out.

Great to see you in, Irene! smile

This, and the fact that me and a few others can play more difficult pieces and so we didn't want to discourage someone who is limited in what they can choose from. We got our first choices that we're happy with. I'm still sort of working on my 2nd choice, as I think it is more difficult, but I'd rather get another participant.

I don't believe we've announced this recital on the Pianist Corner, have we? That's how I found out about the Mendelssohn recital. We could post on there - and also maybe the Teacher Forum as well.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stumbler

I must be that odd kid in the class smile

seriously, you are not the odd kid, I know this, I was the oddest kid that was ever anywhere doing odd stuff by choice.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Morodiene,

Wayne once advertised on PC for submissions to a recital and he got a response.

I believe it may not have been the response he was hoping for, I believe the term "lead balloon" may have been used in the next post wayne did after that one.

Its dark and argumentative over there sometimes, and funny thing is for so many clever, intellectual and talented folk that do dwell on PC ; That proportionally , when compared to ABF they have so many many threads locked down due to arguments that descend into chaos and nastiness, compared to ABF where it is quite rare.

One could ask I suppose....

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Todays updated thingy: Please have a look and tell me if you are happy, it wont actually make a lot of difference if you are not happy because you chose your pieces (many times) lol.

OPUS 12
No. 1, Arietta :;;;; AIMEEO.
No. 2, Vals (Waltz):;;;SARANOYYA.
No. 3, Vektersang (Watchman's song, after Macbeth):;;;CASINWIN8
No. 4, Alfedans (Elves' dance);;;;; LADYCHEN
No. 5, Folkevise (Popular melody):;;; ANDY PLATT.
No. 6, Norsk (Norwegian melod
No. 7, Albumblad (Albumleaf)
No. 8, Fedrelandssang (National song)

Book II, Op. 38 (composed 1883 except where noted; published 1883):

No. 1, Berceuse
No. 2, Folkevise (Folk-song)::::WAYNE33YRS
No. 3, Melodi (Melody)::: SWISSMS
No. 4, Halling (Dance)
No. 5, Springdans (Spring dance)[1]
No. 6, Elegi (Elegy);;;:RECAREDO.
No. 7, Vals (Waltz, originally composed 1866; revised 1883)
No. 8, Kanon (Canon, composed ca. 1877-8?; revised 1883)

Book III, Op. 43 (composed probably 1886; published 1886; ded. Isidor Seiss):

No. 1, Sommerfugl (Butterfly) ;;;;:BERIC.
No. 2, Ensom vandrer (Solitary traveller)
No. 3, I hjemmet (In my homeland):::ALLARD
No. 4, Liten fugl (Little bird)
No. 5, Erotikk (Erotikon);;;;: PETERWS
No. 6, Til våren (To spring)

Book IV, Op. 47 (composed 1886-8 except where noted; published 1888):

No. 1, Valse-Impromptu
No. 2, Albumblad (Albumleaf)
No. 3, Melodi (Melody);;;;IRENE ADLER
No. 4, Halling
No. 5, Melankoli (Melancholy):STUMBLER
No. 6, Springtanz (Spring dance,[1] composed 1872?; revised 1888)
No. 7, Elegi (Elegy)

Book V, Op. 54 (composed 1889-91; published 1891; Nos. 1-4 later orchestrated as Lyric Suite):

No. 1, Gjetergutt (Shepherd's boy)
No. 2, Gangar (Norwegian march)ZRTF90
No. 3, Trolltog (March of the Dwarfs);;;; Rossy: oh deary me what have I done?
No. 4, Notturno :;;; DIPSEY.
No. 5, Scherzo
No. 6, Klokkeklang (Bell ringing):;;; SINOPHILIA.

Book VI, Op. 57 (composed 1890?-3; published 1893):

No. 1, Svundne dager (Vanished days)
No. 2, Gade ;;;;;;SAMS.
No. 3, Illusjon (Illusion)pianostudent88
No. 4, Geheimniss (Secret)
No. 5, Sie tanzt (She dances)
No. 6, Heimweh (Homesickness):::RAGNHILDK.

Book VII, Op. 62 (composed 1893?-5; published 1895):

No. 1, Sylfide (Sylph)
No. 2, Takk (Gratitude)
No. 3, Fransk serenade (French serenade)
No. 4, Bekken (Brooklet)
No. 5, Drømmesyn (Phantom): PAVEL.K
No. 6, Hjemad (Homeward): DIRE TONIC.

Book VIII, Op. 65 (composed 1896; published 1897):

No. 1, Fra ungdomsdagene (From early years):;; MORODIENE.
No. 2, Bondens sang (Peasant's song);;;;:WISEBUFF
No. 3, Tungsinn (Melancholy)
No. 4, Salong (Salon)
No. 5, I balladetone (Ballad);;;;:RUPAK.
No. 6, Bryllupsdag på Troldhaugen (Wedding Day at Troldhaugen):;; GANDDALF.

Book IX, Op. 68 (composed 1898-9; published 1899; Nos. 4 and 5 were orchestrated in 1899):

No. 1, Matrosenes oppsang (Sailor's song):::::ElleC
No. 2, Bestemors menuet (Grandmother's minuet)
No. 3, For dine føtter (At your feet)
No. 4, Aften på højfjellet (Evening in the mountains): LIMEFRIDAY
No. 5, Bådnlåt (At the cradle)
No. 6, Valse mélancolique (Melancholy waltz)

Book X, Op. 71 (composed and published 1901):

No. 1, Det var engang (Once upon a time)
No. 2, Sommeraften (Summer's eve)
No. 3, Småtroll (Puck);;;;;;:FARMGIRL
No. 4, Skogstillhet (Peace in the woods);;;;;;:VALENCIA.
No. 5, Halling
No. 6, Forbi (Gone)Keystring
No. 7, Etterklang (Remembrances);;;;;;:DYNOMOBT.

And if they are not taken by others , then we have second choices of:

Valencia (57.1)
Saranoya (12.7)
Limefriday (71.2)
Dipsey ( 47.3)
Ladychen (38.4)
Peterws (47.6)
SamS (71.3)
Beric (43.6)
SwissMS (47.7)
Dire tonic (68.3)
FARMGIRL (71.2)

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Originally Posted by dire tonic
... a few of us have given up their 2nd choice. What is the point of that?

Purely psychological, dire tonic.

When we're trying to entice newcomers to the recital or those that might be undecided (or they would have joined in already) they might not be as forthcoming if there are names already against unassigned pieces and to "pinch" them off someone might make them feel uncomfortable if they felt they weren't able to do as good a job, perhaps.

There's a history of interests in the thread and whilst no-one would look askance if a newcomer opted to do Summer's Eve, say, it would be frowned upon if I took it from Farm Girl as soon as second choices were allowed. But to include them in the main list may not be appropriate.

We could all be reminded of who has expressed interests before the call for second pieces goes out.

Great to see you in, Irene! smile

+1. Yep. I cannot agree with you more. Re Summer's eve, I remember AimeeO mentioned that it makes her think of a certain product..
Here's my research result. http://www.summerseve.com/
It makes this "night club" sounding music much more fascinating to me. When I listened to the music. I know I'm thinking too much.

Last edited by FarmGirl; 05/05/13 10:49 AM.
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Morodiene,

I believe it may not have been the response he was hoping for, I believe the term "lead balloon" may have been used in the next post wayne did after that one.

Its dark and argumentative over there sometimes, and funny thing is for so many clever, intellectual and talented folk that do dwell on PC ; That proportionally , when compared to ABF they have so many many threads locked down due to arguments that descend into chaos and nastiness, compared to ABF where it is quite rare.

Originally Posted by Rostosky
Morodiene,

My suggestion is to cross post this in the piano teacher's forum. One reason why Mendelssohn invitation was not warmly received by some in the PC is because of the pieces. As you know many of them are current or former conservatory or University piano performance students if not professional. I think they are more into pieces like Chopin Ballade, Liszt TE, Ondine etc. Its not that they don't appreciate collection of little musical gems in our recital pieces, but don't have time / emotional space to even think of them. Piano teachers, on the other hand, appreciate our endeavor. They can probably pick new pieces by experiencing the journey together. We want people like Morodiene, right? She would've seen the invitation in the teacher's forum had it been posted there.

What a mix of ideas we are getting here! Its great that so many of us now care enough about the success of this next recital to make helpful suggestions - like an offer of putting the recordings together, dropping 2nd choices to encourage people to come forward, including other Grieg music beyond the lyric pieces (maybe expecting the lyric pieces to be oversubscribed). People have even started to offer support to each other on how to play tricky bits! And its not even been a week since the Mendelssohn recital ended!

I think we just need to be a bit careful not to get carried away. As with the first three of the themed recitals: Glass, Satie and Mendelssohn, a single complete body of work was performed by ordinary folk (beginners, improvers and others hanging out on RST or the recital threads) - who got involved organically as the idea spread over a period of time.
My personal view is that there are enough of us to fill up the list - to perform all of the lyric pieces without putting out appeals to those on other forums. Lets give it time to let people come forward - time for them to get hold of the music, give it a try and dip their toes in the water. After all, one of the main benefits of this way of doing things is that people are prepared to nudge their boundaries a little, and support each other in this. If we were to invite more advanced pianists to participate that benefit might be lost.

And if we find ourselves in the happy situation of having more people than pieces then I think we should then (and only then) consider other works by Grieg.

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
Ha! That Grieg Lyric Pieces book on Amazon is the #1 best seller in late Romantic on Amazon.. I wonder if that's us?

M
M
Originally Posted by AimeeO
Ha! That Grieg Lyric Pieces book on Amazon is the #1 best seller in late Romantic on Amazon.. I wonder if that's us?

LOL I bet it is! Wonder if they regret selling it for so cheap now laugh

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
That's the edition of Lyric Pieces I have. But, I bought it years ago from Dover directly. Talk about a great price on Amazon!!! I find the Dover editions very easy on my eyes to read. Only problem I have with them is getting the book to stay open!! But, the binding can take a beating. My Dover edition of Chopin Nocturnes has stood up extrememly well.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Actually, just found this on Amazon, seemed to get good reviews, and you can't beat the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Lyri...3923&sr=1-1&keywords=grieg+lyric [/quote
[quote=zrtf90]I use the Dover Edition, Morodiene. It has large pages, clear to read and the books tend to last - I have many Dover chess books and they really do take the abuse.

Nice price!

And it is available on Amazon.it too. (It is available for Kindle, but I can't see trying to use my kindle at the piano.........nope, that's not going to happen!
Unfortunately the price in Italy is considerably more than in the USA. The Amazon.co.uk site has it at a good price but only sells to UK residents!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Edvard-Grieg-Edvard-Grieg/9780486261768

Book depository (owned by amazon) ship worldwide and are usually cheaper.

ETA : just checked USA site and they are way cheaper.

Last edited by Dulcetta; 05/06/13 12:44 PM.

It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dulcetta
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Edvard-Grieg-Edvard-Grieg/9780486261768

Book depository (owned by amazon) ship worldwide and are usually cheaper.

ETA : just checked USA site and they are way cheaper.

I use them often too (great service!)...however in this case the price difference between them and Amazon.it was just a few cents, and I have amazon prime for Italy so don't pay delivery for anything (Prime only cost 9.99 for the first year, I imagine it will go up a lot for the second year, but I don't plan on renewing it!).

The USA site, and the UK site both had REALLY cheap versions! sigh... oh well.
My hubby is going to shake his head when he sees ANOTHER book of music arrive. lol.

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

Unfortunately the price in Italy is considerably more than in the USA. The Amazon.co.uk site has it at a good price but only sells to UK residents!

It's strange, sometimes I buy on Amazon.co.uk, the only problem is that I have to pay for delivery (it can be worth, if the price difference is high).

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I bought the same dover version from Amazon.de. It was reasonably priced and free shipping to Switzerland with prime. It said there was only one copy left. We are cleaning them out!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
I bought the same dover version from Amazon.de. It was reasonably priced and free shipping to Switzerland with prime. It said there was only one copy left. We are cleaning them out!

There were only 4 available when I ordered mine. I wonder if anyone is noticing a trend in music purchases this week lol...

[Linked Image]

Hi Rossy - my 2nd choice piece should be 71/1 (once upon a time) - not 71/2. Sorry to have you change the list yet again!

"I wonder if anyone is noticing a trend in music purchases this week lol..."

Most`f this stuff is buckshee. . . it`s fun seeking it out. Like the chase (hunt)! Fellas love the chase . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I just took advantage of $3.99 offer as well. I also bought a duet book called Sylvia Rabinof: 15 Classical Masterpieces with Added Second Piano Parts and a book called First Four Notes. I think Anazon should pay PW commission.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Talking about scores... I am writing down my own with Musescore, so I can print it larger than the one on IMSLP and I can add my own fingering and notes. Thought it might be a good exercise to see if I'm memorizing the piece correctly!

Page 12 of 47 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission