2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
How many hours would it take to keep track of 10,000 hours?

Learner

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Apart from the 10,000 hours thing, I think it's worth asking oneself what kind of player one wants to be - the one who can pick up any sheet music and just play through it, albeit imperfectly; the one with a small but outstanding repertoire polished to perfection; or the one who plays by ear using a set of patterns and progressions?

I am still undecided, and probably wasting time on too many different goals - it would be great to be all three - but I think I'm leaning towards the first one. When I studied Chinese I didn't learn the Dream of the Red Chamber by heart; I was taught to read the language. I want to unlock music's secrets and learn its language. It's hard now, as a beginner, because there is almost nothing below my current level. But if I stick to it, in time there will be something easier than the things that make me struggle now, and it will be a breeze to play them. Hopefully it won't take 10 years!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Bah, 10,000 (which is Chinese for forever btw) was a concept popularised by the book Outliers.

The thing is it isn't that you will be terrible for 9999.9 hours then suddenly become a guru. You will progress slowly but with diligent practice. I've currently logged about 850 hours practice in over a year and Sinophobia describes me aptly

Apart from the 10,000 hours thing, I think it's worth asking oneself what kind of player one wants to be - the one who can pick up any sheet music and just play through it, albeit imperfectly;

Just enjoy the journey and learn most importantly

WHERE TO SPOT CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK

There are a lot of people on-line who will trash you just for the sake of it. Which can affect your motivation. Constructive feedback is fine, trash talk and everybody being a critic is not.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by justpin
The thing is it isn't that you will be terrible for 9999.9 hours then suddenly become a guru.

Great observation, justpin. I think there are people who, even unbeknownst to themselves, think exactly that at 10,000 hours they will suddenly be able to play. The way it's often talked about, as you point out, often entirely skips over the progress along the way, in which time you've certainly learned to play the piano!

As so many have said, for me and for them, it's the journey, not the destination.

Nice quote.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't know anyone who has played for +10,000 hours...
But it's not necessary. You have many examples (here in PW, too!) of people who play piano beautifully and that have only a few years of experience.

I agree with comments above: enjoy the journey.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I'm at 3972 hrs and still suck...

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by sinophilia
...and Sinophobia describes me aptly

Who is that? wink

Regards,

Polyphonist
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Mark...

In your opinion, buster. Some of us think differently.

laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by malkin
How many hours would it take to keep track of 10,000 hours?

Less than 60 seconds if you're consistent in your practice. A few minutes if you're "almost" consistent. Maybe a half hour if you have to write it all down? (Guessing, based on putting your practice time in Excel over the years, and having it add the numbers up?)

But if you're inconsistent, I think that's a more important issue.

Originally Posted by jotur
I think there are people who, even unbeknownst to themselves, think exactly that at 10,000 hours they will suddenly be able to play.

Destination-blindness is no way to learn anything. If you focus on the starting line or the finish line, you'll forget about the race. And the race is what's really important.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mark...

Don't worry, 3973 will be the charm ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Since I talked about 10,000 hours a lot, I'll put it in context. I'm a performing musician. So for me, it's a marker for MASTERY (pro-level). For the normal person, it's not a marker for ENJOYMENT (which is the usual goal).

I was enjoying what I was doing at 2000 hours. It was fulfilling for the soul. And frankly, at 2000 hours, I liked what I could hear then. Most of us start sounding pretty good at 5000 hours (listen to the recital).

So it's great for plotting out what's possible (in level of mastery) since it seems fairly predictive. Other than that, why get hung up over it?

There's so much simple music around. No need to prepare for Carnegie Hall unless you want to.

BTW I'm not even at 10,000 hours and I've been gigging for several years, probably since 5000 hours.

As with the OP, it was a serious illness that shook up my priorities. I realized at that time that if playing piano was a worthwhile activity, then I'd best be about it: I'm not going to be around forever.

On the other hand, any one of us could go under a bus tomorrow morning. We only have the day we're in, and as the eminent philosopher Walter Payton once said, "Nothing is promised to us."

I play piano because I love playing the piano. While I know I'll never perform at Carnegie Hall, I couldn't care less about that.

As Jazzwee notes, there is plenty -- plenty -- of gorgeous piano music that is within the reach of a raw beginner. And as the beginner slowly learns, there's plenty more that's a little more challenging. That progression will go on as long as we will go on.

So if someone wants to play the piano, the answer is: play the piano! See if you derive from it the joy that so many of us do.

The point is not the joy you may receive at the "finish line" -- we won't be able to measure that joy level when they're throwing flowers on our box (whenever that may be -- tomorrow or the year 2071). The question is, are you enjoying what you're doing right now, today? If not, then find something else that you do enjoy.

Life is too damned short to be unhappy.

Last edited by ClsscLib; 05/29/13 03:43 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by justpin
...Sinophobia...

mmm... confused

grin

B
B
The 10,000 hour figure comes from Malcolm Gladwell's book "Outliers" explaining highly successful people in terms of "right skill, right time, right place" rather than the usual mythologies that surround successful people. He did research and found that 10,000 hours was about the time it usually took to master a complex set of skills (such a computer programming, or playing musical instruments). I have seen that borne out professionally in engineering and the sciences after schooling is done. I think someone can reach 85-90% of their potential in that time. Some people learn faster, and it might help things move along, but I have never observed it cut in half of anything.

But having said that - if you accept 10,000 hours is roughly what it takes to master the piano - well before then, you will have enough skill and repertoire to entertain a great number of people. You just wouldn't have reached anywhere near your potential. And there are no medals or celebrations once you do that - you only have your learning and enjoyment to look back upon as you move forward into more difficult and hopefully rewarding playing.

If you enjoy the journey - this is not a big deal.

I also think the 10,000 hour metric is useful in some ways (certain levels of mastery really do take that long!) but meaningless in many other ways (should never be a barrier to start, just a sign indicating patience or is called for).

Last edited by Bromo; 05/29/13 12:22 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Gladwell "stole" it from Prof. Anders Ericsson's research.
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/08/how-to-raise-a-superstar/

Play, dont play. The time will pass anyway.

Were all going to die. There is no sacrafices for me. Only priorities.

I used to focus on the negative view of looking at what i aim for long term. It is a negative view in my mind.... so one day at a time.

Takes discipline to not think negatively for me...

Like ##$$@ sight reading dedication.. but i am suprisingly stubborn. Unfortunately my 4 year old daughter is like her dad.... lol

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Okay, so I did ask a stupid question...but I can hardly bother to keep track of receipts for expense reports or mileage and I get actual money for those. Keeping track of hours of practice holds no interest for me and no reward.

Besides, won't it be obvious by my playing when I get to 10,000?!

Anyway, I am quite consistent in my piano practice, and I suppose also quite consistent in my lack of interest in keeping track of what I perceive to be trivialities.

Originally Posted by Derulux

...Destination-blindness is no way to learn anything. If you focus on the starting line or the finish line, you'll forget about the race. And the race is what's really important...

To me it is much more of a fun run or a recreational ride than a race as I am not in competition with anyone. (Now I'm imagining a 'recreational' Tour de France!)

Learner
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by malkin
I can hardly bother to keep track of receipts for expense reports or mileage and I get actual money for those.

hahaha I know exactly how you feel on this one! grin

To me it is much more of a fun run or a recreational ride than a race as I am not in competition with anyone. (Now I'm imagining a 'recreational' Tour de France!)

Semantics. Except for the 'recreational' Tour de France. I think that sounds like fun.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
B
B

Besides, won't it be obvious by my playing when I get to 10,000?!

Yes the heavens will open, trumpets will blare and you will get a giant gold star! ;-)

If you get to the professional level ... you;ll know. UNtil then enjoy yourself!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It will be so obvious by your playing when you reach this ultimate goal of goals, and wait there's more. You will earn this awesome sticker for your music book:
[Linked Image]

... makes me want to practice more thinking about that sticker.

(if you just want the stick anyway for inspiration, buy here (sheet of 20) for $5:
http://www.zazzle.com/10000_hours_round_sticker-217034115253946212)

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I have 100 hours in and think I am wonderful, I only have another 9,900 to go before others will agree with me (oh and somewhere along the way I have to find and switch on my talent gene).

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/05/so-you-know-that-10000-hours-makes-an-expert-rule-bunk/

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission