Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
160 registered (36251, accordeur, ajames, A-Tom, A Guy, 44 invisible), 1813 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1996297 - 12/08/12 08:22 AM Please don't take the broken bass string with you
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
This past week I tuned yet another piano with a missing monochord bass string. I looked at the owner and said "Let me guess - the last tech took the broken string with him, right?"

Owner: "Yup, he said he needed to send it to a bass string maker for duplication, but I never heard from him again."

If the string hadn't been taken I could have spliced it, based on where the break happened (at the coil.) This has happened to me so many times, and every time it does it costs the owner more, since the current tech needs to spend a lot more time measuring and interpolating diameters from neighboring strings. Then we need to order the string, come back, install, and return again to retune. Yet a spliced repair would have been done on that single visit, and the tuning would have been fine as well.

If you have a micrometer and a tape measure with you (and you should if you are a professional piano technician, right?) then simply measure the core wire diameter, the copper wrap diameter, the distance from hitch pin loop to the beginning of the wrap, and the overall length of the wrap. Those four measurements are all you need to order a new bass string if you can't splice. And, if you don't know how to splice, please leave the broken string for the next tech who might.

Whatever you decide to do (or not do) please don't take the string. Even if you have no skills or tools to complete stringing repairs, just coil it up and leave in the bottom of the piano for the next tech...

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#1996302 - 12/08/12 08:58 AM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: James Carney]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
OR....be conscientious and follow up on your business and run it professionally. I promptly send out the string and install it when it comes in. Usually I set the return installation appointment before I leave the customer's house.

#1996385 - 12/08/12 12:15 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: James Carney]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Amen James!!! I HATE it when I find missing wires. Sometimes, it's the owner themselves that tossed it thinking, oh, they can just order another one... NOT!

And, if you don't now how to splce a wire? Please don't practice on a customers piano leaving 5 coils wrapped all over one another with a tuning pin or two 1/4" higher than all of the others...... Don't do sloppy work. Do it right or don't do it at all. Practice at home on something else.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1996430 - 12/08/12 02:21 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT
Amen James!!! I HATE it when I find missing wires. Sometimes, it's the owner themselves that tossed it thinking, oh, they can just order another one... NOT!

And, if you don't now how to splce a wire? Please don't practice on a customers piano leaving 5 coils wrapped all over one another with a tuning pin or two 1/4" higher than all of the others...... Don't do sloppy work. Do it right or don't do it at all. Practice at home on something else.

One of my pet peeves . . .
With 210 examples (+ or -) of how to it's supposed to look, why would you think that anything different is OK??
</dismounting soapbox, but feeling better>

#1996484 - 12/08/12 04:28 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: James Carney]
Ryan Hassell Offline

Loc: Farmington, MO
I had a church that kept breaking strings constantly and would just throw them away. It was a GREAT day when I realized that I could just give Mapes the model of the piano and the string number and they would send me out a replacement.
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com

#1996496 - 12/08/12 04:50 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: James Carney]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Hammers are even worse than strings! Ivories, too.

I say that one should not take any parts without a firm estimate of when they will be coming back.

#1996512 - 12/08/12 05:21 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: James Carney]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
My bass string maker needs only distance A from hitch pin to front pin of bridge, and distance B from hitch pin to agrafe.

But I may tell him ho far from bridge and agrafe are the windings, if not he use his standard distances.

I may also say if I measure above the damper.

diameter helps, of course

On a well known model the number of the string is enough, often.
So I can order by mail.

#1996549 - 12/08/12 06:50 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: Olek]
Chris Leslie Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Originally Posted By: Kamin
My bass string maker needs only distance A from hitch pin to front pin of bridge, and distance B from hitch pin to agrafe.

But I may tell him ho far from bridge and agrafe are the windings, if not he use his standard distances.

I may also say if I measure above the damper.

diameter helps, of course

On a well known model the number of the string is enough, often.
So I can order by mail.

Isaac, doesn't your string maker also require the core gauge and winding diameter?

Edited by Chris Leslie (12/08/12 06:50 PM)

#1996555 - 12/08/12 06:59 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: Chris Leslie]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Yes I give the note name at last, but sure it is better to check diameters at last on the next note, so the bass string maker have an idea of the tension.... But the A-B measurement method is efficient and the winding lenght is designed to start at 18 mm from the bridge and 22 from the agrafe after 3 tunings (the dimensions I give by memory)

Edited by Kamin (12/09/12 12:22 PM)

#1996592 - 12/08/12 08:43 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: James Carney]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Go with what James says. Sometimes Kamin doesn't make a whole lot of sense. grin No doubt, an English problem? What the heck are you talking about anyway Kamin?

James described the procedure pretty accurately and yes, on many models we can simply call in the make, model, serial and string number to get a replacement wire but we can't always do that. In those cases how James described it is the correct way to go about it. wink

Or, am I just plain missing something here???

www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1996798 - 12/09/12 08:27 AM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: James Carney]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Yea, what James and Jerry said. A missing bass string just makes things that much more complicated.
-----

#1996803 - 12/09/12 08:35 AM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: James Carney]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Is it really all that difficult to send the string out, return to the customer's piano, and install it? Really?

#1996909 - 12/09/12 12:27 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT
Go with what James says. Sometimes Kamin doesn't make a whole lot of sense. grin No doubt, an English problem? What the heck are you talking about anyway Kamin?

James described the procedure pretty accurately and yes, on many models we can simply call in the make, model, serial and string number to get a replacement wire but we can't always do that. In those cases how James described it is the correct way to go about it. wink

Or, am I just plain missing something here???

I am sorry typing on a cellular phone with auto correct of typing, add strange mistakes I cannot always see immediately.

I was just saying that I can send the bass winder the 2 measures A and B, plus the note name, and that of course it is better to send also the next note diameter and core if the string is missing, interpolate will be done by the string maker if I send the 2 next notes diameter but I am unsure it is so important.

He uses a standard distance from the winding to the bridge and from winbding to the agrafe, and this is very precise, computed to be the given distance after 3 tunings (metal elongation)

So if the piano have a particular dimension between the winding and bridge/agrafe I have to send this dimension too, , probably he uses it and not the lenght of the winded portion (which is not so different, it is just another computation method.

I am sorry my English did not get better in time...

ALl the best

Edited by Kamin (12/09/12 12:30 PM)

#1997043 - 12/09/12 06:28 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: Loren D]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Loren D
Is it really all that difficult to send the string out, return to the customer's piano, and install it? Really?

I've wondered if there is a phenomenon in space like a light-grey-hole that is sitting there full of piano tuners holding bass strings that they will replace once they are released from the pull of the thing.
-----

#1997047 - 12/09/12 06:40 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: James Carney]
Bojan Babic Offline

Loc: Vojvodina, Serbia
I work for an institution whose students always take broken bas strings out, fearing that they would have to pay for them, so it is easiest for them to hide the string in silence, and not report the breakage. It makes me a problem later.

#1997084 - 12/09/12 08:15 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: James Carney]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Oh-Oh

I feel a light-grey reverse well approaching.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1997122 - 12/09/12 09:42 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: Minnesota Marty]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Oh-Oh

I feel a light-grey reverse well approaching.
You're in luck! There's no intelligent life down there in the hole I fear.
-----

#1997145 - 12/09/12 11:03 PM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: James Carney]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

This is kind of a grey area isn't it?
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1998750 - 12/13/12 04:06 AM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: James Carney]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Look inside the bench. Some folks put reference parts there, because they won't vibrate when the remaining notes are played.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2091119 - 05/29/13 03:12 AM Re: Please don't take the broken bass string with you [Re: James Carney]
Gary Fowler Offline

Usually it's the customer who discards the broken bass string. (usually in a church). Frustrates me to no end!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Kawai
by daz100
12/17/14 04:10 PM
New at the forum and some questions
by Kua
12/17/14 03:31 PM
It's Beethoven's birthday today...
by Polyphonist
12/17/14 03:12 PM
Elbow pain
by acollins
12/17/14 12:49 PM
Forum Stats
77325 Members
42 Forums
159942 Topics
2348821 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission