2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hi -

Newbie member here...wasn't planning to look at baby grands until next year after we moved, but two stores here in Houston clearing out some selection....

Sherman Clay going out of business (I think they've had similar sales elsewhere across the country) where they're clearing out all their Yamahas....

Looked at the C2X, C3X, C5X today....they have 30% off across the board prices off MSRP....salesman pretty firm they're not cutting further from there...

Also another piano store here ending their 26year run as the authorized Steinway dealer, and not sure what Steinway will do after this - they have a 20% across the board cut off MSRP (although they're a bit higher than the Piano Buyer/NY MSRP prices).....looking here at the entry level Steinway S....

Have spent lots of time looking through previous threads, and wasn't planning to look this soon nor necessarily spend this much, but wondering if this is a "once in a lifetime" as both places describe it chance....believe it much more for the Steinway, but still not sure it worth the dough....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Personally, and this is purely personal, I would prefer a Yamaha C2X or C3X over a Steinway S or M, particularly if it was a New York Steinway. That said, YOU might prefer the Steinway and if you have the funds and think its worth it, then go for it.

There are other makes you could consider. Kawai and Shigeru Kawai - the Shigeru SK2 will cost less than a Steinway M and give you very good quality too. I'm not going to claim it's the same quality as Steinway because I simply don't know.

Then in the USA Charles Walter is known as an excellent make although sadly I've never played one. I think they cost about the same as a Steinway though.

Good luck and let us know what you buy.

YAMAHA Artist
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by joe80

Then in the USA Charles Walter is known as an excellent make although sadly I've never played one. I think they cost about the same as a Steinway though.

Good luck and let us know what you buy.

I don't believe Charles Walters are anywhere close to Steinway's prices. Don't forget Mason and Hamlin (to round out the made in America brands). I'd also echo the suggestion to try Kawai, especially a Shigeru.

But the usual advice is take your time and play everything. Play the Seilers, Sauters, Bosendorfers, Estonias, Schimmels and many more fine pianos. The reason for trying them all is to acquaint yourself with all that's available. Go downmarket and try Hailun and Brodmann, or Ritmueller, Knabe, Weber or Young Chang. There's lots more to hear than Steinway and Yamaha. After all you're shopping for a piano, not a deal.

Last edited by Steve Chandler; 05/28/13 09:06 AM.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
B
B
Sounds like the "sales" are doing their job. They have you in a buying mood.

I would suggest buying what you like when you are ready. The Yamaha and Steinway are fine instruments. How did they sound and how did the action feel to you? Which was better sounding /feeling? Get that one if it is in your budget.

As others have said there are lots of other brands to try. It can be exhausting or exhilarating depending on your personality. (I found it exhausting).

http://www.pianobuyer.com/

Is a good link to get opinions/ballpark prices before shopping.

Good hunting! Post pictures when you get her home.

Bob

Kawai RX-2 Blak
Casio PX-350
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I would make sure the Yamaha or the Steinway is the piano you want. This is s great time to piano shop. There are many great new piano designs to check out and your in a area that offers access to most every manufacturer. Enjoy!

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
M
OP Offline
M
thanks so much for the posts - certainly wasn't planning to buy soon but these "closeout" specials got me in the door.

looked through the piano buyer to get a sense, and it seemed like 20% off a Steinway was a great deal, although it is still a lot of money and certainly more than I'd anticipated spending.....

I just didn't want to pass up a great deal on good pianos if indeed, like the salespeople were saying, these were once in a lifetime deals....

the Yamahas that I played and the Steinways all sounded great - my daughter just started piano on a small digital keyboard earlier this year, while I haven't played myself in literally 15 years...don't know how much to spend/stretch for our level of use/commitment.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If your gut says you're not quite ready, then you should go with your gut and not allow a sale push you over the fence. These discounts is pretty much every year, if not every month, and they always come around. Unless our economy suddenly changes and takes off like a rocket, I suspect there is really no urgency. The Japanese government recently announced they will devalue their currency as much as it takes to move their export economy, so prices are not going anywhere.

Steinway is a bit unique. The NY Steinway cost even more than a competitive German piano, and the German Steinway is so expensive in the US that you absolutely have to be in love with Steinway to buy it over its German competition. So unless you are absolutely in love with Steinway, the 20% off sale is really not a sale when you could buy another great German piano any day of the week for less.

Steinway's toughest competition is all the 5-year old Steinway on the street that people bought when the real estate bubble was in full swing and now dumping.

P
P
With money in hand deals can be made on "any" piano. That being said I would try as many pianos as you can and set your dollar figure you are willing to spend. I am a Yamaha fan and own two of them. They have served me well and are good pianos. A good steinway is a great instrument but my experience has shown there are a lot of steinways that don't measure up. Yamaha has a very uniform standard from piano to piano. I have commented on the new cx series from Yamaha in another post and was very impressed with that series of instruments.

Piano Critic-A player and listener. Musician-Bachelors and Masters in Music. Retired from Professional life and just enjoying Music.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
thanks so much for the posts - certainly wasn't planning to buy soon but these "closeout" specials got me in the door.

And that's exactly what they are designed to do. So the sales tactic worked.

I just didn't want to pass up a great deal on good pianos if indeed, like the salespeople were saying, these were once in a lifetime deals....

Oh... I hope they didn't actually use that phrase. But they probably did. These aren't bad deals, but they're certainly not giving these pianos away.

I don't mind a salesman doing their job - a good salesman can make the buying process fun. But realize they have their toolbox of tactics.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Deals happen at least twice a year. No rush :-)

YAMAHA Artist

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission