2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (brennbaer, AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#20912 04/01/08 10:18 PM
H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Also went with Ox Bone when rebuilding our Steinway console. My wife kind of fell in love with the feel after playing a concert on a piano with them. She's never been crazy about ivory, however. Probably one too many pso with yellowed, cracked, curled or chipped keytops.

Howard

#20913 04/01/08 10:42 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My newer Yamaha irritates me with it's plastic slippery keys, while my older Knabe just feels glorious with it's non-slip ivory keys. One of these days when I settle on a new piano, no ethical issues will stop me from getting ivory keys. Excuse my bluntness, but give me a new piano and the choice between plastic and ivory and I'll pull the trigger myself on that big ol' gray keytop factory.
It's funny - but one of the countries that runs a nature preserve for the elephants (and was - if I remember - one of the countries who originally pushed for the ban) was begging, some years ago, to be allowed to sell the ivory they had gathered over the years from the elephant preserve to continue funding the preserve. Oh the irony....

#20914 04/02/08 12:46 AM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I bet someone could come up with a plastic that imitates the feel of ivory pretty well for maybe $100-200 a set. The problem is that the plastic that we get costs $20 a set.

One could always sand plastic key tops so they would not be as slick. Removing that top layer, and getting down to the more porous plastic below would probably go a long way towards minimizing the difference in feel.

Semipro Tech
#20915 04/02/08 02:30 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BDB:
I bet someone could come up with a plastic that imitates the feel of ivory pretty well for maybe $100-200 a set. The problem is that the plastic that we get costs $20 a set.

The German key covers cost more but are much better. Those cheap $20.00 sets are not very good. Ya know the ones I mean, the notes are on the tails of the tops so you don't get them mixed up. bah

If someone comes up with synthetic key cover that stays white and works well I will gladly pay $200.00 a set for material.

Yamaha has something now that works but they will not sell the material.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#20916 04/02/08 03:16 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Mattardo:
no ethical issues will stop me from getting ivory keys. Excuse my bluntness, but give me a new piano and the choice between plastic and ivory and I'll pull the trigger myself on that big ol' gray keytop factory.
Shameful

Michael
#20917 04/02/08 04:08 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"It's funny - but one of the countries that runs a nature preserve for the elephants (and was - if I remember - one of the countries who originally pushed for the ban) was begging, some years ago, to be allowed to sell the ivory they had gathered over the years from the elephant preserve to continue funding the preserve. Oh the irony...."

Oh the.. Ivory! smile

But seriously, this shows just how good the system works for everyone: elephants, local economies and piano players....
Just a couple of decades of elephant protection has largely eliminated the extinction danger, elephant numbers are increasingly rising - I think in some places are now reaching overpopulation - and in this way larger amounts of perfectly legal ivory from naturally deceased elephants is available to the market.
Nothing wrong in that, the problem was not the ivory per se, but the fact that elephants were endangered because of it.

On the contrary, the indiscriminate poaching, if not stopped, would have rapidly made new ivory unavailable even for those who - shockingly - do not care for the elephants.

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
#20918 04/02/08 10:55 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
cruiser wrote:

no ethical issues will stop me from getting ivory keys. Excuse my bluntness, but give me a new piano and the choice between plastic and ivory and I'll pull the trigger myself on that big ol' gray keytop factory.
Shameful
Agreed.

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
#20919 04/02/08 11:32 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I've been wondering for a while if Steinway has some proprietary plastic they use on their pianos. Is it the same cheap white plastic that is sold for replacements? I had the impression it was something more special. If there is something better out there, I'd sure like to find out what it is. Bone doesn't attract me at all.

Mammoth ivory is used for lots of things, believe it or not, but I haven't heard of it being used for piano keys.

Scott
#20920 04/02/08 01:38 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Comparing the keytops of a Yamaha P22, Clavinova, and C3 I find that the P22 and the Clavinova are about the same (they become slippery and greasy), while the C3 was slightly better than those 2. Not perfect, it still became slippery and greasy, just not as fast. The dealer said the C3 had an improved keytop but in my opinion, it was not too different from the others. I have much more confidence playing my Knabe than most modern pianos with plastic, ivorite, or whatever gimmick they are trying out now.
If you talk to David Warther at the Warther Musuem, he sells complete sets of ivory keytops and can also reccomend a proffesional installer who is experienced with the process of replacing plastic with ivory.

And as for being ashamed of ivory keys: as a lover of classical music and classical instruments I would only be ashamed if I were to apply modern political views to my classical loves.

#20921 04/02/08 01:39 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ScottM:
Mammoth ivory is used for lots of things, believe it or not, but I haven't heard of it being used for piano keys.
I've seen it named in the specifications of some very high end pianos.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
#20922 04/02/08 02:58 PM
H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Here's a source for a variety of keytop materials including legal ivory, wooly mammoth, and bone:

http://www.pianoandorgankeys.com/catalog/index.php?cid=1

Also mineral ivory (acrylic) and European acrylic. Problem is its hard to guess what you might like without playing some first.

Howard

#20923 04/02/08 03:13 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
I've been wondering for a while if Steinway has some proprietary plastic they use on their pianos. Is it the same cheap white plastic that is sold for replacements? I had the impression it was something more special. If there is something better out there, I'd sure like to find out what it is.
I think that it is just the standard keytop for whatever manufacturer made the keyboard. When Pratt Read made their keyboards it was Pratt Read tops. Now I suppose it is Kluge. I do not notice that much difference.

Semipro Tech
#20924 04/02/08 03:21 PM
I suspect many of you, if not all of you, are aware that the predominant material in ivory and in teeth and in bone is the same, hydroxyapatite (calcium phosphate). Hydroxyapatite accounts for > 90% of the suface material (enamel) of teeth (and tusks). Differences in texture may be due to other components in the tusk/tooth/bone. However, a tusk is just an external tooth.

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

#20925 04/02/08 04:28 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rodmichael:
I suspect many of you, if not all of you, are aware that the predominant material in ivory and in teeth and in bone is the same, hydroxyapatite (calcium phosphate). Hydroxyapatite accounts for > 90% of the suface material (enamel) of teeth (and tusks). Differences in texture may be due to other components in the tusk/tooth/bone. However, a tusk is just an external tooth.
So when I had all that expensive dental work done and told the dentist to keep the teeth, I lost out on a golden oppurtunity? Dang it.

#20926 04/02/08 08:09 PM
S
S
Originally posted by cruiser:
[b] no ethical issues will stop me from getting ivory keys. Excuse my bluntness, but give me a new piano and the choice between plastic and ivory and I'll pull the trigger myself on that big ol' gray keytop factory.
Shameful [/b]
Nonsense. A legally harvested elephant will not only provide ivory for keytops and such, it will also provde food for quite a few villagers. It's a resource and should be managed as such.

On the other hand, poachers should be shot.

"Show people are doomed. Doomed to a lifestyle of booze and pills and heavy meals late at night." Ruthless! - The Musical.
#20927 04/02/08 08:51 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I've played on various kinds of plastic keytops all my life including the new ones I had put on my Yamaha G7. I think they're called ivorite or something like that. They feel right to me, not slippery or anything. I occasionally apply some Yamaha 'Key Sparkle' that makes them feel great.

I don't really have a philosophical problem with these other legal materials but there is something about playing on dead animal parts that makes me a little queazy when I've played pianos with ivory keys. They always look a little shabby to me too, although the ones I've played just may not be maintained correctly.

Maybe it's just what you get used to over the years.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
#20928 04/02/08 09:11 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Roger Ransom:
I've played on various kinds of plastic keytops all my life including the new ones I had put on my Yamaha G7. I think they're called ivorite or something like that. They feel right to me, not slippery or anything. I occasionally apply some Yamaha 'Key Sparkle' that makes them feel great.

I don't really have a philosophical problem with these other legal materials but there is something about playing on dead animal parts that makes me a little queazy when I've played pianos with ivory keys. They always look a little shabby to me too, although the ones I've played just may not be maintained correctly.

Maybe it's just what you get used to over the years.
I guess if you're squeamish, then the idea of playing on "dead animals" can be a little frightening. I don't think there's much difference between ivory keys and eating a nice steak or pulling on a pair of leather shoes or getting money out of a leather wallet or eating jello or sushi. I suppose the main difference is that the elephant was scarce when the ban was enacted, but there are plenty of cows and chickens running around because we have farms for them, so the National Geographic Magazine can't make us feel sad for eating them.

There is also an allure to something that is "taboo".

But the country who wanted a lift on the ban for their circumstance had a point: all the elephants had "died of natural causes" so why not sell the ivory? Of course if an exception is made for them, human nature will find a way to make more elephants die of "natural causes" and then nobody will get exceptions.

It's a touchy issue and will touch different people in different ways. In the end, neither side can claim to be right definitively. But after you own an older grand with nice aged ivory keys, it's difficult to go back to plastic and it's clinical perfection.

#20929 04/02/08 09:20 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
But the country who wanted a lift on the ban for their circumstance had a point: all the elephants had "died of natural causes" so why not sell the ivory? Of course if an exception is made for them, human nature will find a way to make more elephants die of "natural causes" and then nobody will get exceptions.

why not cultured Ivory,like cultured Stone cultured Pearls..?

then there's Cuban cigars..some say there's nothing like them..others say no big deal..

#20930 04/03/08 02:10 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bob Newbie:

why not cultured Ivory,like cultured Stone cultured Pearls..?

then there's Cuban cigars..some say there's nothing like them..others say no big deal..
I really have no idea if that would give the same feeling or not honestly, as I have never had the oppurtunity to try it. I wouldn't be above trying it, that's for sure - any alternative to some of the plastic keytops available now would be welcome if there was an improvement in touch. I'm only a fan of Ivory because of my experience with it, not because I know for 100% sure that ivory is the best (which I can't say without trying alternatives). And who knows - perhaps it's old ivory I prefer and I might recoil in dissapointment at the touch of new ivory - I haven't had the chance to play a piano with a new ivory keytop laid down.

#20931 04/03/08 02:18 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bob Newbie:
Cuban cigars are special. smokin

Originally posted by Roger Ransom:
I don't really have a philosophical problem with these other legal materials but there is something about playing on dead animal parts that makes me a little queazy when I've played pianos with ivory keys.
If your piano contains shellac (at least the original kind) you should know that it is an insect secretion.

One of my musical instruments has decorations in mother-of-pearl, which is secreted by a mollusk.

Consider the plight of organists, who play on cow shinbone keys (if they are lucky enough not to have plastic keys); the wind system of the organ requires yards of sheep leather and it is held together with something prosaically known as "fish glue".

If you played a stringed instrument, you might have to contend with horsehair bows and catgut strings (which are made from intenstines of various livestock, but not from cat).

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission