2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2092749 05/31/13 09:50 AM
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I know this question has been answered before but I swear I can't find it by searching.

In the first LH measures of Come Back to Sorrento (3/4 time) there is a dotted half note then 2 quarter note thirds. Directly above the dotted half note there is a quarter rest. For the life of me I can't figure out how to count this. I also don't get the purpose of the dotted quarter note tied to a quarter rest. dqn = 3 counts, qr = 2 counts. I feel so stooped! I maybe should post this to the teachers forum but it's so much friendlier here. laugh

I know when/if it's explained to me it will be obvious as a cockroach on a wedding cakebut really I'm stumped. blush

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Yes, all it's saying is there are really two voices in the left hand. There is the two F#s in octaves held for the full measure; and starting on beat 2 are the chords played each for a quarter note.

And since, unless you have a third arm you haven't told us about, you can't do that. It really means play the F#s, pedal, play the chords.

Now please go kick yourself. whistle

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
You're referring to the Alfred Book 3 version, correct?

What Andy said about two voices is correct, it's two voices. You don't have to use the pedal, however. Just hold the dotted half note with your left hand pinky for the count of one (and continue holding) and then play the notes for counts two and three with your other fingers.

To put it another way, the dotted half note is one voice and is held for the count of three. The quarter notes are a second voice--the first count is a rest and the next two counts in the measure use the notes as depicted.

I'll bet that cockroach would add some protein to that carbohydrate-rich wedding cake. smile

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Forgive My Ineptitude

While this could certainly be the title to all of our threads in which we ask questions here, it's hardly necessary wink

Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Yes, all it's saying is there are really two voices in the left hand. There is the two F#s in octaves held for the full measure; and starting on beat 2 are the chords played each for a quarter note.

Right, of course, I just finished a piece with two voices in the RH but it was not notated this way. I think you may be looking at a different score than I have because that first broken chord is a Dm. Thanks for the obvious answer Andy grin

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
You're referring to the Alfred Book 3 version, correct?

That's the one. Thanks Stubbie, I'll just sit over here in the corner in my dunce cap ha

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
While this could certainly be the title to all of our threads in which we ask questions here, it's hardly necessary wink

I don't know Bob, I felt pretty stooped asking. I hadn't seen the thing notated this way before. whome

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bobpickle
Forgive My Ineptitude

My entire piano playing existence could be labeled with Forgive My Ineptitude.

Learner
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Hey, Ragdoll, sending some nice weather your way to take your mind off piano stuff. shocked eek

We have marble-sized hail on the deck and a tornado just to the east, heading into Illinois. Gosh, this is fun. sick

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Ragdoll

Right, of course, I just finished a piece with two voices in the RH but it was not notated this way. I think you may be looking at a different score than I have because that first broken chord is a Dm. Thanks for the obvious answer Andy grin

Yeah, I looked at a score online in F# minor. Guess Alfred's chose a slightly simpler key! Might not have had the octaves.

Did you kick yourself though? wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Holding down one finger while playing other notes in the same hand turned out to be major heavy lifting sort of practice for me. It was very difficult at first, but it is getting easier, and it really help to develop finger independence. One tip: you could otherwise be so focused on this fingering trick that you end up tensing up your arm, shoulder, back and everything else. I know I did. Remind yourself you have to relax while practicing it. It's a fun challenge.

I agree with others. Ineptitude is why we are here to begin with. At least that's why I'm here.

Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hey, Ragdoll, sending some nice weather your way to take your mind off piano stuff. shocked eek

We have marble-sized hail on the deck and a tornado just to the east, heading into Illinois. Gosh, this is fun. sick

EPIC FAIL Stubbie eek a big ugly twister just barreled through here last night at 70mph. Minor tree and gutter damage for me cowering in the basement. I haven't been out yet to see what's up in the neighborhood. My piano is safe though yippie

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Guess Alfred's chose a slightly simpler key!

Simpler? ok yeah slightly but far from simple (for me).

Did you kick yourself though?

Yes I did until I lost 5 lbs... Ok that's a lie; it was a mental @$$kickin' but it hurt anyways laugh Thanks again Andy.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Holding down one finger while playing other notes in the same hand turned out to be major heavy lifting sort of practice for me.

4evrBeginR,

Funny, that used to be a bad habit I developed and teacher was on my case about it for months. "Let off that key after it's count is done" I must have heard that dozens of times. Now I have to cultivate it for this technique. Sometimes lessons seem like a constant stream of contradictions don't they? Thanks for your input.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Just wanted to thank all of you again for helping me over this little hump. I have made very good progress with the first 16 measure in the LH of CBT Sorrento. You guys are the best.yippie 16 more to go, then BHT, rinse & repeat. Yay!

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission