Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2093566 - 06/01/13 07:20 PM To play or not to play
Gary Fowler Offline

I have been tuning for awhile(over 30 yrs). I am no concert artist for sure, but I can play pretty well. Seems at this point in my tuning career, I would rather not play once I have finished the job. For some reason, I'm thinking it's going to appear to the customer I am trying to "show off", or that I'm being self indulgent. Plus I need to get the check and get to my next appointment. But lately, I've noticed customers seem really disappointed that I didn't play a song at the end. Some have even told me THAT is the only reason they had their pianos tuned.[to hear the song at the end]. And If I play something at the end, how much is too much? I don't know what other tuners do, but it would be interesting to find out.

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2093570 - 06/01/13 07:23 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
I always play. I ask them what their favorite song is; they love it.

#2093590 - 06/01/13 08:29 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
BenP Offline

Loc: South Jersey
I usually play. Not anything real showy - mostly for my own benefit to hear how the piano sounds and touch up any interval or unison that needs it. If they ask, I'll play something longer or fancier occasionally. But I agree - by that point I'm usually ready to be done with the job and move on.

#2093592 - 06/01/13 08:31 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I ask if they have a guitar. I'll play THAT for them. 'Makes most customers laugh.
-----

#2093595 - 06/01/13 08:33 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
manyhands Offline

Loc: Md
hearing my tuner play lets me, an amateur, get a sense of how good my piano can sound, something to which I can aspire! Please play.

Big Mama Yama U1

#2093629 - 06/01/13 09:32 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
If you got it, show it! Hey, who wants to show up at the dance empty handed?

I am a very mediocre player, so I use this opportunity to compliment the piano and point out how nicely it tuned up. It's all about 'their' piano.

When tuning for concerts or professionals, I use a much more mechanical approach to checking the tuning.

#2093824 - 06/02/13 09:33 AM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I don't know how well my tuner plays, but he always plays the same big range, chord-y bit when he's done tuning. When I hear it, I know it is time to come out and write him a check.

#2093912 - 06/02/13 01:19 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
Carbonblob Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
As the client, I really appreciated my techs playing. He's very good and I even picked up some playing pointers (he has a musical degree and used to teach). When he finished, he played a mini-concert for us. We could have sat for hours. One of the pieces was Debussy's Arabesque #1 and what a great piece to hear a piano really sing.

I think by your playing gives any owner a chance to hear his instrument played by someone who has a gift for fine tuning (and who cares how good you are)? So, yeah, I agree with the other owner's post, keep playing by all means, it's a pleasure........blob

#2094013 - 06/02/13 04:45 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
Phil D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
I'm always embarassed by the fact that I have no memory for music. I have a lot in my repertoire but only with the sheet music, and it definitely feels like showing off if i get music out at the end. If there is sheet music there that I can play though, I will sometimes play that.

#2094014 - 06/02/13 04:47 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
Always play. I don't even consider myself mediocre; I pretty much fake it.

Even at the Shout House, every week, I play the same three excerpts, and the managers always seem to appreciate that I do it.

At the schools, the kids and teachers love it when I do it.

Edited by OperaTenor (06/02/13 04:49 PM)

#2094127 - 06/02/13 09:42 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
That Guy Offline

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I always play a little bit although I'm actually a drummer. I know all my scales so I play chords up and down the piano. I have two song memorized, Minuet in G and O Tannenbaum for Christmas. People usually want more and then I have to confess that that's the only song I know!
www.thattuningguy.com

#2094130 - 06/02/13 09:48 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
accordeur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
I pick and choose when I should play or not.

I'm an improviser, and know tons of tunes by ear.

It is interesting how different people will either be inspired or intimidated by my playing ability.

Some teachers that I tune for I think would prefer that I not play too much. And I don't.

I can usually guage how much I should play, or not, by the music books lying around.

So, for me, it's a case by case scenario.

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#2094131 - 06/02/13 09:48 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
Gary Fowler Offline

Judging from the comments by others so far, I'm thinking it's not such a bad thing to play a little after the tuning. I may stick to doing "parts" of songs, and keep it short and sweet.

#2094134 - 06/02/13 09:50 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
accordeur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Gary Fowler
Judging from the comments by others so far, I'm thinking it's not such a bad thing to play a little after the tuning. I may stick to doing "parts" of songs, and keep it short and sweet.

Good plan.

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#2094143 - 06/02/13 10:04 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I love it when my tuner plays (and he can). Not having another pianist around, it is the rare opportunity to stand back and listen to my own piano.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2094236 - 06/03/13 12:40 AM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
I will sometimes play during the tuning, after I'm done a section I'll play a bit from a piece that fits there. Its almost like a final check before moving on. If there is time afterwards, I will play something unusual. Most pianists, pro or not, appreciate hearing their piano played by someone else. There is something good about hearing your piano from a location away from the bench also. Sometimes I'll suggest to a customer to try out the piano while I'm packing up, I enjoy hearing them play also and gives me an idea what kind of genre of music the piano's being tuned for.

Edited by Emmery (06/03/13 12:41 AM)

#2094252 - 06/03/13 12:59 AM Re: To play or not to play [Re: accordeur]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: accordeur
Originally Posted By: Gary Fowler

Good plan.

What Jean said. That's essentially what I do.

#2094253 - 06/03/13 01:00 AM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Emmery]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Emmery
I will sometimes play during the tuning, after I'm done a section I'll play a bit from a piece that fits there. Its almost like a final check before moving on. If there is time afterwards, I will play something unusual. Most pianists, pro or not, appreciate hearing their piano played by someone else. There is something good about hearing your piano from a location away from the bench also. Sometimes I'll suggest to a customer to try out the piano while I'm packing up, I enjoy hearing them play also and gives me an idea what kind of genre of music the piano's being tuned for.

Depending on the customer, I also suggest they try it out. I feel it gives them some buy-in to my work.

#2094764 - 06/03/13 06:51 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
Carbonblob Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Agreed operatenor and emmery.......

For no other reason than curiousity or enjoyment, I like watching people play. I mean if they take off like Jerry Lee Lewis playing encores, I would know that's probably at least 4 tunings a year, right?! blob

#2094781 - 06/03/13 07:42 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Greetings,
Most of my customers are professionals, and there is absolutely no way anything I can play on a piano is going to impress them with anything but a deserved condescension.

OTOH, those piano owners that plunk around at home, some having started taking lessons again at 65 years, others having once played but now just rarely, and those that inherited the piano, can't play a lick, and always hope that anyone, and I mean, anyone, ( the friend that teaches, the kids that have just learned chopsticks, the nephew home from school, the piano tuner, the interior designer, anyone! ), will sit down at the piano and make some notes; these customers get a boogie, or a homemade ballad, or the worst rendition of "Tennessee Waltz" one is like to encounter out of me, and I can't play!

It doesn't matter. I have had too many of these customers tell me that as soon as they make the tuning appointment, they are waiting to hear what I doodle after I am done. They, after many years, consider it part of the job. Even though after 2 minutes and 18 seconds I begin repeating myself, it is a solid part of why I get called. I have no reservations about the quality of my craft as a tech, and no pretensions of being a musician. Yet, I have had customers comment on how beautiful the piano sounded after I had simply modulated around the circle of fifths. (Which I do, since most of these tunings are UT)

There is little musical about tuning the way I do. For most people, it is a technical bunch of sound, but when there are chords and melodies suddenly coming out of the box, something happens. They show up at the doorway and listen. I think that once I play something, I am a person they can more readily identify with.

Tune the piano, make some music. If the quality of the former is sterling, the quality of the latter doesn't matter.

Regards,

#2094869 - 06/03/13 09:21 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Ed Foote]
Tunewerk Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Warm hearted response, Ed. I agree.

Originally Posted By: Ed Foote
Tune the piano, make some music. If the quality of the former is sterling, the quality of the latter doesn't matter.

Unity of tone through applied research.

#2094888 - 06/03/13 09:35 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Tunewerk]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
Originally Posted By: Tunewerk
Warm hearted response, Ed. I agree.

Originally Posted By: Ed Foote

I guess there's a limit to how far a great tuning will carry a poor musician if one happens to be one.

#2094932 - 06/03/13 10:46 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm. The rest is simply hard work.

#2097157 - 06/06/13 04:37 PM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

After tuning my tech usually plays a number of big chords and then waits a few seconds after each chord. He seems to listen to how they sound.

At that time I hear how it sings and dies out, how the piano resonates, the overtones, the chord voicing, the pedaling, the damper noise, etc. I suppose that's also what he is listening for.

It seems to me that this 'playing' is a final check that the tuning is ok.

#2097685 - 06/07/13 08:09 AM Re: To play or not to play [Re: wouter79]
Chuck Behm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boone, Iowa, USA
Hi all - a good topic! For years and years, I've followed every tuning with a lively rendition of "Satin Doll." Customers are used to this and typically by the time I've finished they've arrived, checkbook in hand from another corner of the house.

As a practical matter, playing a bit helps catch things I didn't notice when I was tuning. As far as for customer satisfaction it helps to show the owner that the piano is indeed well in tune (especially when the customer can't play him or herself, and is having the piano tuned for children taking lessons.)

When I really enjoy playing is when I tune the pianos at the local nursing home. I'll follow up Satin Doll with a few favorites, such as "Stormy Weather" (which has been really appropriate this spring in the midwest) or "Ain't Misbehavin'". The residents listening are very appreciative of this - makes my job fun! I'll hang out for a bit, have a few cookies with them and visit. All good! Chuck

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke

#2098409 - 06/08/13 12:28 AM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Chuck Behm]
Gary Fowler Offline

Chuck, play "An Affair To Remember" at the old folks homes. It brings them to tears every time.

#2098526 - 06/08/13 09:33 AM Re: To play or not to play [Re: Gary Fowler]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
I pieced together a few-minutes medley of original to classical to pop etc. Just snatches, really, of perhaps a dozen or more tunes. Clients seemed enjoy guessing - e.g. - "was that a little bit of Gershwin I heard?" It was fun.

"Not to know what took place before you were born is to remain forever a child." - Cicero

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (Alex1, accordeur, 36251, anotherscott, Alkanaut, 40 invisible), 1737 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75566 Members
42 Forums
156231 Topics
2294516 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practicing slow is only part of it
by Sweet06
17 minutes 29 seconds ago
Intro to Elton John's 'Nikita'
by Visalia
36 minutes 0 seconds ago
Is a Yamaha P35 appropriate for church services?
by Giancarlo Robles
Today at 03:59 PM
Need suggestions for Music Room
by Gatsbee13
Today at 03:39 PM
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
Today at 12:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission