2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
rnaple thank you for posting. I enjoyed your piece. There was a great sense of mystery and anticipation in your playing. Well done.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
TwoSnowflakes - I loved it! I'd forget which pattern I was supposed to be doing somewhere in the middle if I tried that speed laugh And if I hadn't read "double thirds" I wouldn't have known what you were doing at that point - wow! Brava - and well-recorded, to boot.

Cathy

Those are thirds... Double thirds would be if each hand had a third. 5-3 left hand, 1-3 right hand, start marching up the scale. They're incredibly difficult to do smoothly, and there are some virtuoso level pieces that use them to great effect because only an expert can deliver.

The problem is, obviously, that after the third note of the scale, both hands have run out of fingers, lol! So you have this very weird cross over pattern that you have to do verry smoothly and quickly in both hands if you hope to keep some semblance of legato. Obviously I am NOT there, and while my teacher has assigned double thirds, I am going extremely slowly with them and they are the first thing I don't bother doing if I have a limited amount of time to practice.

I'm still trying to figure out how to record it! That's just my iPhone, propped up on the side of the keyboard. I have a nice digital SLR camera, so maybe I'll figure out how to set it up and get some better audio since obviously this is mostly all about the audio, right?

Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
I see what you mean about tension and wierd wrist motion (plus your video was reversed, making everything that much more curious!). Are you taking lessons? Does your teacher have any suggestions? I noticed the comments in PC on your scales and methods for finding relaxation at the piano. Something else you might consider for pieces is working on much easier pieces for a while. This is what I did last year: I felt like I had shot ahead and was playing a lot of music where I was barely hanging on. So I slowed way down and went back to basics. I think I'm now at or equal to where I was a year ago, but playing much better. (Hmmm, does that make sense? I mean, I'm playing similar pieces again now, but much more reliably and musically, and with less hanging on and wondering if I'm going to make a mistake).

No, that makes PERFECT sense. I would rather play the same thing much better. And, in fact, that's exactly what I am trying to do. No more rushing ahead and feel like I'm barely hanging on, which is, frankly, how I spent the entire first 10 years of playing piano and probably why I quit. As soon as things were marginally mastered, it was on to harder things, with the end result that everything was slightly sub par. Had I been a better student, I probably would have not ended up that way. But I was incredibly inefficient when I practiced, and very unfocused, so I was playing catch up all the time.

So, My Piano Journey, Book 2: 25 Years Later. I am taking lessons, yes. I really don't see any other way. She is giving me a lot of guidance, and it's actually better than it was. The scales look better than the piece because I'm really listening to her more with hand position and general attack on the scales and then on the pieces I tend to rely more on old instincts, which are not there anymore, so everything tenses up. It was actually the recording of me that saw that I wasn't really listening to my teacher's corrections that well when it comes to the music making portion, because old habits die hard.

I've only been back three weeks, so I've had only three lessons. I'll keep working on it, and much slower. I need to really concentrate on how my arm moves, and the weight I'm putting into the keys. She's giving me the corrections and the visualization to understand it, I'm just not really translating it into that much tangible change yet though little by little I am getting it.

As for the pieces, well, she chose them. I was reluctant to show her what I had been working on when I quit, though of course it was her first question. I felt it would give a false sense of level placement, frankly. What's the point of telling her that I used to play, say, Mendelssohn's Rondo Capriccioso, when clearly that's not possible right now? So I told her that I used to play, but probably am at a very basic level on certain things, which is true.

I must have really understated it, because she showed up with some books introducing the musical staff and which finger goes on middle C. Ultimately I had to fess up because there are some things about my skill set that could not be described as basic. I explained that I feel like part of me getting better is going back and picking up all the dropped pieces along the way, and some of these things are lying on the ground very far back, honestly, which is why I feel like "basic" would describe some of those things.

As much as it gave me great panic, I reluctantly surrendered the stack of books I used to use, and she picked a few pieces I'd played before (including the Rondo! AHHH!) and listened to me attempt to play them, evaluating what was missing, what was there.

We talked some about my goals, and ultimately she picked the Chopin Nocturne and a Mozart Sonata (the K310, A minor), both of which are not terribly easy pieces, though nobody would mistake them for advanced. I think I'm ok with working on a harder piece for longer than the other way around. I just have to be VERY careful, especially in the Mozart, with not bringing the speed up until I've got fingering and notes locked in and I've changed my finger weight and tension level.

Really, the trouble is, as you can see, recalibrating what to expect yet. On the one hand, I can look at both pieces and see them as essentially straightforward, somewhat easy. After all, when I quit, I was playing much more difficult pieces. And even now, if you put any new piece of music in front of me, I can play it out. Maybe I'll knock a few notes off the bottom of a large rolled chord so I can keep going, or I'll mark one hand in octaves, but I clearly have not forgotten how to read music and my hands go where they need to be.

But then of course the next step is to PLAY the piece, and that's where things kind of slow way down because the years have not been kind to that part of the process. And I'm more mature now, and I know what I want and what I need to change. I know how to practice better, and I've got the focus and motivation to do it. It's just I thought I'd slowed down enough. Those scales do not sound fast to me. But they are too fast for me now. So when something is too fast for now, but my brain is not registering them as fast because they are not objectively fast from a pianist's standpoint, my hands just tense up. My brain is confused. You're doing it slowly, so why are you struggling to stay on the beat? So instant tension.

Anyway, I'm at a tempo in the Mozart that is laughably slow. But I know that if I really drill it there, it gives me the time to concentrate on the hand position, tension and note pressure that I need to change before I can hope to get better. Unfortunately, I can snap to a much faster tempo and not make a mistake, but of course at the expense of the relearning of the positioning, tension, and finger weight. The absence of which I do not immediately notice, so it's a constant fight to make myself stay slow, or I am cheating my progress in the long term.

So, long story short, I'm slowing everything way down, as per some suggestions. I have this urge to go faster simply because these things USED to be easier for me, but I can see that there's a lot of tension and stiffness when I do that, even at these speeds which are slower than I used to do them at. And just knowing that I need to change is not the same as actually doing the changing, so each week is a new insight for me on how I'm going to tackle this process so I can achieve what it is I want to achieve here.

A
AimeeO Offline OP

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline

500 Post Club Member
A
TwoSnowflakes:
Your scales were pretty mesmerizing, to be honest! So even, after 25 years off! I wish my scales sounded like that. I'm beginning to wonder why we don't see more scales - they're rather fun to watch.
Your Chopin sounds great, and while you feel tense, the fact that you could play that piece, let alone record it, 3 weeks in, is very impressive! I have a feeling that once your confidence builds back it won't so tough on you to fix the other areas you want to improve.

Ron:
I remember that piece.. I like what you did with it, and your dynamics sound fantastic! I like the loud rushing and then quiet - rather seductive, in a sense!

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
I'd like to thank you all for the kind words. The recording itself; lame. You wouldn't believe how good my piano actually sounds. I think it was the mp3 format of that recorder. Has much higher formats. At least I got through the basic idea of my creativity with that song. That's the important part. After all...this is Ecco Fatto... that describes what I did.

You wouldn't believe all I've been through lately on my computer. I came extremely close to buying a Mac mini today.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Very nice job Ron. Next time I'd enjoy something a bit longer but this was nicely played and thanks for posting it. Here have a brew on me(_)]. grin Are you glad it's Ecco Fatto?

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Very nice TwoSnowflakes. It made my computer hang up until I installed an update to quicktime. Enjoyed it much, also your scales were well done, much better than I'm able and I practice scales daily. Bravo!

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
D
D
Well, I committed myself to this a couple of weeks ago and I have been struggling with it ever since. Scarborough Fair has given me fits (as someone else described). I could get my hands doing roughly what I wanted but then to add in the pedalling...impossible! So this is my best effort because I don't really want to spend any more time on this piece.

As you can easily tell I am a complete beginner and have been working through the first Alfred's book on my own (except for the input from these very helpful Forums!) so please be kind...

https://www.box.com/s/t18p2yfo6r8ql7mr6fce

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Wow, dagdvm, that was wonderful. It had such a wistful quality - I could see a young woman standing witn the wind in her long hair, talking with her young man - are you going to Scarborough Fair? And it was cool that the tempo was steady until the ritardando at the end. Very nice.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
grin Are you glad it's Ecco Fatto?

I sure am. Got it out to get it done.
I shouldn't be having these problems in the future. I went ahead and got me my Mac mini. Will receive it today or tomorrow.
I need badly to get back to concentrating on music...not technical problems.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, I committed myself to this a couple of weeks ago and I have been struggling with it ever since.

Very nice dagdvm. It flowed quite nicely with a good steady rythym. Well done for your first public contribution. yippie

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dagdvm
Well, I committed myself to this a couple of weeks ago and I have been struggling with it ever since. Scarborough Fair has given me fits (as someone else described). I could get my hands doing roughly what I wanted but then to add in the pedalling...impossible! So this is my best effort because I don't really want to spend any more time on this piece.

As you can easily tell I am a complete beginner and have been working through the first Alfred's book on my own (except for the input from these very helpful Forums!) so please be kind...

https://www.box.com/s/t18p2yfo6r8ql7mr6fce

Wonderful!! I'm glad you had the courage to put up this first recording. You did a great job, and I enjoyed listening to it.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Dagdvm - one of my all time favourites - your performance is charming - soft, gentle, wistful, Bravo!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
AimeeO Offline OP

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline

500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dagdvm
Scarborough Fair has given me fits (as someone else described). I could get my hands doing roughly what I wanted but then to add in the pedalling...impossible! So this is my best effort because I don't really want to spend any more time on this piece.

I was the one who Scarborough Fair sent into fits, so I feel your pain!

All of your hard work has paid off. The emotion and care you put into this piece made it sound way more than a hurdle to jump over on your pursuit to get to the next piece in Alfred's. This sounded like meaningful music! Well played.

I think you're done with this piece! I look forward to hearing more out of you!

A
AimeeO Offline OP

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline

500 Post Club Member
A
Bump!!

Who's next up?

D
D
Thank you to everyone - you are the kindest people in the world! whome

I really appreciate your gentle comments and the opportunity to post here at Ecco Fatto Cafe. I know you have all been through this process yourselves and that makes your comments more valuable to me because you all know the difficulties and mind games we go through on this self-chosen musical journey.

So thank you once again and happy playing!

dagdvm

Hello PianoWorld!

This is not only my first recording, but also my first post.
I am 30, from Brazil, one 11 month old son and a full time job.

I don't consider myself a beginner in a strict sense of the word, since I have been playing for 15 years. But due to my lack of discipline I am still at a beginner level.

Sorry fot my poor english.

Now I present you my very first recording. It's the 3rd Mov from Mozart K 331, the well known rondo alla turca. It's not perfect, but I really liked it.

https://www.box.com/s/sr8eenpg16nld4o7z3m4

Thanks for listening!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
jfmartins, congratulations on your first post and recording! Very nice, I enjoyed it. thumb

I look forward to more.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
scorpio, thank you for listening and enjoying!
You can't imagine how big is the smile in my face right now!

I would also like to thank AimeeO for the creation of the Ecco Fatto Café and earlofmar for the hints on how to use truepianos over the web.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
jfmartins - that put a smile on my face and set my foot tapping! A really fun piece, and I like the playfullness you put in it. Thanks for posting.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
AimeeO Offline OP

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline

500 Post Club Member
A
Welcome, jfmartins!!

Your English is great! Hope you are having a nice winter down there!

WOW! First post and first recording.. Love it! (I want your guts! hehehe) I am a huge fan of rondo alla turca, so I was excited to hear your piece. I was not disappointed! This is piece is quite challenging, and you pulled it off with style and confidence - you owned it! It started off with a bang and never looked back. You kept the jubilant attitude going throughout! Very impressive!
I can't wait to hear more from you.. smile

Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission