Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2092856 - 05/31/13 12:23 PM June Piano Bar
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
Decided to go ahead and start the June bar. It's finally been warm in Alaska. The last lake where I live finally thawed out so yay no more ice and everything is green again! I think Alaska kinda skips spring and goes straight to summer and then it kinda skips fall and goes straight to winter.. oh well smile

I used a simple basic version of the Prayer and did a little improvising. Hope you enjoy :P

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2092887 - 05/31/13 01:08 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
OOOH! very nice LP . . . I rather think you liked the ending phrases . . . . your octave playing was very commendable (speaking like a music teacher now lol) and yer left hand was solid as a rock! Well Done!

Out of interest, what temperatures d`ya get in Alaska from this time o` year?

Edited by peterws (05/31/13 01:09 PM)

""

#2092896 - 05/31/13 01:19 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I was wondering about temperatures too.

Very nice playing ladypayne! I did indeed enjoy it.

Yamaha P-155

#2092917 - 05/31/13 02:08 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
    Nice playing, Ladypayne!

I haven't recorded anything new lately, but I pulled this out of my past recordings and thought I'd share it...

The tempo is a little fast, but I seem to have two basic tempo's... fast and faster. smile

I hope you all enjoy it. My rendition of John Denver's Country Roads.

Rick

#2092934 - 05/31/13 02:31 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    Riddler Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
    Ladypayne, that was lovely. Nice work on those two handed arpeggios, very smooth. BTW, I remember well how we loved spring when we lived in Alaska, a time of renewal and rebirth.

Rick, way to go, one of my favs, it takes me back to a good time.

My piece this month is Blues in the night by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer.

This song was very popular in the early 1940s. One of my earliest musical memories is Jo Stafford singing the opening lines:

My mama done tol' me when I was in pigtails
    My mama done tol' me, "Hon
    A man'll sweet talk and give ya the big eye
    But when the sweet talkin's done
    A man's a two-face
    A worrisome thing who'll leave ya to sing
    The blues in the night"

No doubt, one's view of human nature is formed early by such as this.

I'm playing from a lead sheet. The intro is my feeble attempt to imitate the piano intro on Katie Melua's recording on Youtube.

https://www.box.com/s/xyqm9klj2dcn9amfb43h

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2092936 - 05/31/13 02:35 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
    The temperatures vary quite a bit across state but I live near Wasilla and the temps have been in the 70s ever since Memorial Day weekend and sunny. But its suppose to rain next week and be in the 50s. I think the week before Memorial Day it actually snowed! Of course it didn't last long but I was like really? smile lol. Usually the temp stays around 60s to 70s for the summer and sometimes in the 50s.. It's been close to 80 a few times this week and that is a bit unusual. Up in Fairbanks it actually gets pretty hot and sometimes it gets in the 90s during the summer but during the winter it gets like -50 in Fairbanks.. weird uh..

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#2093003 - 05/31/13 04:56 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Riddler]
    BillM Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
    Some nice music in the bar already this month.

Riddler - of all the styles of music I've heard you play - both here in the bar and in the Quarterly Recitals I think this suits you best. I hope you don't have the blues but you can really play the blues. Loved the cool intro and the way you move the bass and strum the chords.

Did you get a new piano? The sound is a bit different it seems to me.

I am also a huge fan of music from the 30's and 40's. When I am in the car I generally listen to the 40's station on XM. They really knew how to write a strong melody and of course the musicianship and singing was first rate.

Here is a tune written in 1935 by Irving Berlin for the 1936 movie, Top Hat. I've probably seen this movie a dozen times and my favorite part is when Fred Astaire sings this to Ginger Rodgers. I don't dance when I sing this but I do play the piano.

Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#2093062 - 05/31/13 06:59 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    Newman Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
    LadyPayne – Very fluid. I do believe I notice definite development in your playing (and as a beginner I shy away from making comments on people’s playing)

Rickster - I enjoyed that. It gives you opportunity to show off your voice (which you don’t do so much in your blues songs) which is good and strong.

Riddler – Lovely sounding piano. I like the intro - I love augmented chords. Your playing sounds quite relaxed.

BillM – You and I really do have similar tastes. I too love the old musicals and watch them quite frequently - courtesy of my trusted Tivo. Yes, the songwriting is first class. (PS Have you ever seen “De-Lovely, The Cole Porter Story”? I was watching it just a week or two ago. I enjoyed it.)

Here’s one I’ve been working on since last weekend and recorded last night (Friday night here) thinking I might be first in for June as it’s 1st June here this morning smile

I’ve cut back the posted version (I thought it was a little long and could be boring). I did it more as a challenge to myself on the chord interpretation front and am pleased with it on that score, especially the G/D and G7/F in the 3rd and 4th bar of the verse (and the ‘sparkly’ fill part)

Strawberry Fields Forever

The piano sound is concert and electric piano together.

#2093087 - 05/31/13 08:12 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    Ragdoll Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
    ladypayne Very lovely, I love this song and you did a great job on it.

RicksterBoy that took me back a bit. Nicely played but slow down a bit grin

Riddler Oh, I remember my Mom playing this song, good rendition too. Stirred up some old memories it did.

BillM I like those old show tunes (and movies) too. You did a great job on it, really enjoyed it.

Newman Very nice Newman, I get the distinct feeling you might be a Beatles fan. grin

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

#2093207 - 06/01/13 06:31 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
    BillM Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Newman - Good choice on this song. I think this Beatles tune works well as a solo piece.

#2093211 - 06/01/13 06:52 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    TrapperJohn Offline
    3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
    LadyPayne - lovely tune, lovely playing - you have a very nice, very light touch that lends itself well to this kind of music (maybe it's partly the little support you get from the wrist bands laugh )

Rickster - this is John Denver in the fast lane - great job - right out of a dance hall in the old, wild west...hope you don't eat as fast as you play - presto!

Ridler - haven't heard that old chestnut in decades - what a great Blues standard - thanks for bringing it back to life - superb playing !

BillM - I've seen this movie several times and know the song well because it's among the many great tunes on a Sinatra album I've had for years called "Come Dance With Me" (swinging arrangements by Nelson Riddle) - your version is enjoyable with that solid vocal and outstanding accompaniment as usual - also, nice haircut, but would like the camera angle adjusted slightly to catch a little more of your rock-star profile smile

Edited by TrapperJohn (06/01/13 06:54 AM)

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#2093249 - 06/01/13 09:19 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
    Riddler Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
    Originally Posted By: ladypayne
    .... Up in Fairbanks it actually gets pretty hot and sometimes it gets in the 90s during the summer but during the winter it gets like -50 in Fairbanks.. weird uh..

Yeah, I remember 90s and gigantic mosquitos in the summer, and -60 once in winter. What a miserable day that was - me with a bad cold and a broken down VW... maybe that is why I retired in Florida!

Originally Posted By: BillM
    ...Riddler ... Loved the cool intro and the way you move the bass and strum the chords. Did you get a new piano? The sound is a bit different it seems to me

Thanks, Bill. This is the same Yamaha p-120 I have had for years. But I am using Pianoteq now, and ocassionally I use different virtual piano settings, so that is may explain the difference you hear.

Bill, that was a wonderful take on a great old song. I like the way you vary the piano accompaniment style in different sections, very effective.

Newman, very nice, great vocal, just the right piano style. I like that combination of piano voices here, too.

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2093259 - 06/01/13 09:49 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
    Riddler – Fantastic playing! Wish I could play arpeggios that fast and clean.

Bill – As always, your playing and singing is superb! You are one of my idols here on PW!

Newman - Great chord combinations/variations! This is my kind of piano playing!

And, as far as the tempo of my playing being too fast, yes, it is… sometimes I don’t realize I’m in high gear. And, sometimes I’ll start out slower and then speed up as I go. Yea, it is a problem I have to work on… guess I’m just hyper. smile

Rick

#2093340 - 06/01/13 01:37 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
    Ladypayne, very nice start to a new month!

BillM, I have to ask: how hard is it to play as well as you do while singing? Must take a lot of time to prepare these videos. I especially liked this one once it got going. There's a nice upbeat part in the middle.

#2093341 - 06/01/13 01:39 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Rickster]
    TrapperJohn Offline
    3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
    Originally Posted By: Rickster

And, as far as the tempo of my playing being too fast, yes, it is… sometimes I don’t realize I’m in high gear. And, sometimes I’ll start out slower and then speed up as I go. Yea, it is a problem I have to work on… guess I’m just hyper. smile

Rick

Rick - if the above was made in response to my comment let me clarify that I didn't say you were playing too fast - just fast...it wasn't a criticism - simply fact...great stuff!

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#2093343 - 06/01/13 01:41 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    Inlanding Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
    ladypayne~ very pretty piece of music. Very enjoyable.

Rickster~ hey,,,it's been awhile and how great it is to see you're still playing. Thanks for the John Denver rendition - it's been awhile since I've heard his music. I like the uptempo version, for sure. Hope you are doing well.

Ed~ What a coincidence! I was just playing one of Katie Melua's CDs yesterday and listened to her version Blues in the Night! Your interpretation / imitation is really close to the harmonies she used. I like your take on it. Great work, Ed.

BillM~ Cheek to Cheek - a fine melody. Your playing and delivery is so sincere. What fun to watch and listen to you play. Your accompaniment is perfect for this one. Thanks for sharing this fine tune!

Newman~ I love the chord changes in Strawberry Fields. You are such a talent and have the Beatles dialed in so well. I went back and listened to several of your other Beatles renditions. I like your website - it'd be great if all your Beatles renditions were available in one place. You've got some fantastic tunes there.

Glen

March piano audio
    https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#2093394 - 06/01/13 03:07 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
    Debuting my very first Chopin piece (and my first youtube appearance)

Prelude in E minor Op.28, No.4

#2093758 - 06/02/13 04:47 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    mattroilanh_tt Offline

My contribution to this bar. This is the first song I use pedal beside the Alfred lesson book.

This is version 2, I play with free tempo and dynamic. Let me know what version is better.

Edited by mattroilanh_tt (06/02/13 06:15 AM)
    • Suzuki Piano School Volume 1 & 2

Start Date: 11/01/2013

#2093811 - 06/02/13 08:57 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    Amaruk Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
    It is great to see so many great pieces in the bar already!! I'll be back with my comments on your pieces shortly.

Here is my contribution for the month. It is my piano arrangement of a cover that I discovered on YouTube. I had a lot of fun experimenting with the arrangement to make it the exact way I wanted it.

The sheets are available on the YouTube page for the video: Link

#2093822 - 06/02/13 09:32 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
    BillM Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Amaruk - excellent performance! I love the face-on camera view. I have never heard this one before but was immediately drawn in to the haunting melody. Your Roland sounds fantastic.

#2093869 - 06/02/13 11:31 AM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    Inlanding Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
    ElleC~ Nice go at this little Prelude. Accompaniment in the left hand does have its own dynamic, but it should be somewhat more in the background than the melody - there is bit of interplay there, for sure. Delicate use of rubato and pedaling will come to you soon - you are well on your way. Over time this magical piece will become part of you and it will mature under your fingers as you continue to internalize it. I look forward to hearing it again.

mattroilanh_tt~ My preference is for the first take as it has a distinctive pulse. I like the idea you tried playing it the second time with more freedom, but it is a bit harder to follow. Controlling dynamics is hard to do when trying to play f to p. You are getting the idea, for sure. Keep up the good work!

Amaruk~ I am with Bill on this one! The drone of repetition has its own mesmerizing effect. I always enjoy your multimedia presentations. Most importantly, it is clear you are listening to the melody as you play, connecting with the music - fantatsic!

Glen

March piano audio
    https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#2093892 - 06/02/13 12:26 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
    Matroilahn...tt.... The right hand are his thoughts and hope for her...it is her....
    The left hand is his innermost being....facing the truth of her...the hurt
    The two come together at times. Then fail and separate.
    If I were to start adding words....
    No it can't be true....
    Too much love for her....
    I can't explain....
    What's to remain....
    Think of what I said and play it....

Oh BillM..... Can't you dance for us? I bet you'd put Fred Astaire to shame. But there's no Ginger Rogers for you? How about a nice easy....Singing in the Rain? smile I had written an improv on that one... "Driving in the Snow".....oh...what a wonderful feeeeeeeeeeling...I'm sliiiiiiiiding again!

Amaruk...Really nice...seriously.... I don't think you have enough pianos. smile

ElleC....nice Chopin....

Rickster....nice fun piece... you remind me of BillM ...

Newman.... great as usual with your own personal touch of professionalism

Riddler.....gotta love da blues....fun....

Ladypayne..... very nice .... had a friend who lived in the NW Territories .... said when it got to 50 below, before wind chill.... They would just give up and not even bother to try to start the cars.

#2093910 - 06/02/13 01:08 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Rickster]
    BillM Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Rickster - I am a big John Denver fan and wasn't sure I'd like an uptempo version of this classic, but as with everything I've heard you do, I loved it! You play with such obvious joy that just watching you perform brings a smile to my face. Thanks!

#2093915 - 06/02/13 01:24 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
    Thanks Inlanding. Yes, I totally agree with the left hand! That's something I've been practicing...playing a little softer so it's not overpowering. Definitely not an easy skill. Same thing with the rubato. This piece certainly needs more time to mature, will re post another (hopefully improved) version in the future

#2093998 - 06/02/13 04:24 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
    peterws Online   content
    3000 Post Club Member

Here`s one everybody knows. . . play it any slower and I`ll topple over . . .

https://soundcloud.com/peterws7/gymnopedie-1

""

#2093999 - 06/02/13 04:30 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Rickster]
    peterws Online   content
    3000 Post Club Member

Excellent fun stuff Rickster - enjoyed your laid back playing when you were singing. super contrast with great vocals too!

Edited by peterws (06/02/13 04:37 PM)

""

#2094003 - 06/02/13 04:36 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Riddler]
    peterws Online   content
    3000 Post Club Member

Wow, Riddler - never heard that before! Real Bluesy feel and super complex chords . . .who could ask for more? And you gave it!

""

#2094009 - 06/02/13 04:42 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
    peterws Online   content
    3000 Post Club Member

Eh, Bill - Ya get better and better man! Y`had to dig deep for this one ha ha (bit before my time . . .)

""

#2094016 - 06/02/13 04:47 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
    peterws Online   content
    3000 Post Club Member

Newman - Penny Lane next! Great atmosphere of the Beatles at their psychedelic best. One o` my faves. Well done, young man! (d`ya like the "young" bit? ha ha)

""

#2094022 - 06/02/13 04:54 PM Re: June Piano Bar [Re: ElleC]
    peterws Online   content
    3000 Post Club Member

ElleC - That`s progress! could see you swaying to the music. You feel it, that`s real good! All the best pianists move to the music . .

""

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
    What's Hot!!
    HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
    -------------------
    Sharing is Caring!
    About the Buttons
    -------------------
    Forums Rules & Help
    -------------------
    ADVERTISE
    on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
    -------------------
    PIANO BOOKS
    Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
    (125ad) Dampp Chaser
    Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
    Sheet Music
    (PW is an affiliate)
    Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
    Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
    sheet music search
    sheet music search

sheet music search
    (ad) HAILUN Pianos
    Hailun Pianos - Click for More
    (ad) Lindeblad Piano
    Lindeblad Piano Restoration
    Who's Online
    143 registered (accordeur, alex-kid, 3rd Ear, Anote, 42 invisible), 1505 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    74258 Members
    42 Forums
    153610 Topics
    2251326 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
    New Topics - Multiple Forums
    stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
    by akita
    04/20/14 03:12 PM
    How did YOU get started on software pianos?
    by doremi
    04/20/14 03:02 PM
    Advice needed: what to do with piano during a major remodel
    by akita
    04/20/14 02:31 PM
    Few questions from a newbie regarding Bach and playing piano
    by The Lark Ascending
    04/20/14 02:18 PM
    Should I play piano with different tone setting?
    by Clannad
    04/20/14 01:53 PM
    (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
    | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
    | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
    | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
    No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission