Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2093871 - 06/02/13 11:32 AM Teachers don't want students?
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
I'm starting to lose focus and thought I know lets get a teacher again.

I've phoned emailed about 6 teachers and they either don't pick up the phone, respond or don't seem eager to take me on.

Is there a black list or something? I did not leave my last teacher badly (if anybody remembers the teachers bad day thread).

Or are teachers being dead picky?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2093873 - 06/02/13 11:40 AM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
It is pretty bad form of any teacher not to respond, even if they are not taking on, at this time.

We should always make a point of returning calls/emails as soon as possible.

Sometimes the boot can be on the other foot.
Only this week I had a message from a prospective parent (referred from a previous student). I replied, inviting the parent to call me at her convenience, for more information/discussion.
That was four days ago frown

#2093951 - 06/02/13 03:06 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I had several non returned contacts too, but I figured that since I was working off of a music store contact list that maybe the info was out of date.

There was a period in my life where it seemed I couldn't get the job I wanted or the apartment I wanted. Later there was a time when I couldn't get the employee I wanted or the tenant I wanted. Maybe it is like that. wink

Keep looking; you'll find a great teacher. I did.

#2093955 - 06/02/13 03:16 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
pianolover85 Offline

This happened to me recently. I phoned and e mailed over 10 teachers and none of them responded back to me which was pretty rude, inconsiderate, and some of them declined in a wishy washy manner...I gather because a lot of teachers are females who teach from home, they do not take adult students for safety reasons or they are primarily focusing on children as a "market" since most of the demand lies there. This is what I gathered from my own observations which is OK by me, but a more open admission by teachers would have been more satisfying.

Some of them have been also acting weird if an adult male wants to learn or if the student does not have a piano of his/her own...

Edited by pianolover85 (06/02/13 03:24 PM)

#2094021 - 06/02/13 04:52 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The reason doesn't matter to me, If someone doesn't want me as a student, that's all there is to that. Explanation or justification isn't helpful. Referral to another teacher might be useful.

#2094037 - 06/02/13 05:43 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Timely post as I am seeing an adult male beginner, wishing to transfer to me from another teacher who lives further away, and distance is the reason for the transfer.

I've had only bad experiences with men, piano-wise. I'm going to meet him before making any decisions. I've just been stood up, unpaid and had to deal with bad behaviour too often to actually look forward to taking on an adult.

If they do not call back, accept it that they are too busy, or not looking for new students ad continue your search. Don't take it personally. You want the right teacher for you and that is the one that answers calls, at least.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2094090 - 06/02/13 08:08 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: ten left thumbs]
Charles Cohen Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
Timely post as I am seeing an adult male beginner, wishing to transfer to me from another teacher who lives further away, and distance is the reason for the transfer.

I've had only bad experiences with men, piano-wise. I'm going to meet him before making any decisions. I've just been stood up, unpaid and had to deal with bad behaviour too often to actually look forward to taking on an adult. . .

As an adult male student (but not a beginner) --

. . . Ouch!

Have you checked his bona fides with his current teacher?

. Charles

#2094097 - 06/02/13 08:18 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: pianolover85]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: pianolover85
Some of them have been also acting weird if ... the student does not have a piano of his/her own...
I don't think it's unreasonable to question this, do you? I don't know about "acting weird" but I'd certainly want to know if they have any plans to acquire one in the near future. Learning piano isn't going to go very far without one.

#2094100 - 06/02/13 08:24 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: pianolover85]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Some of them have been also acting weird if an adult male wants to learn or if the student does not have a piano of his/her own...

It is impossible, completely impossible, to teach someone who does not have ready access to a piano. The only thing they can learn is theory, and then without a piano to play to solidify the theory learning, the theory is quickly forgotten.

In my early days of teaching, I was somewhat desperate for students, and took a few students who either did not have a piano at all, or only had access to one on a rather limited basis.

They all failed...did not progress, fizzled out, lost interest.

What is "weird" is to expect to learn to play the piano without a piano.

#2094124 - 06/02/13 09:37 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: rocket88]
pianolover85 Offline

Well I have full access to university practice rooms and library. I also have rented one for 3 months to see if it is for me or not...But this is a minor issue...the more salient issue was refusing service for being an adult male...I completely understand their choices...I am just saying that it was frustrating on my part, but they have every right to take precautions but generalizing has never been good.

Regards,

#2094167 - 06/02/13 10:54 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: pianolover85]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

... refusing service for being an adult male...I completely understand their choices...I am just saying that it was frustrating on my part, but they have every right to take precautions but generalizing has never been good...

But still, a teacher who doesn't want adult male students isn't the right teacher for you.

If you were looking for a speech therapist for your grandmother after her stroke, you'd agree that someone who prefers to see only preschoolers who stutter wouldn't be the best fit.

#2094189 - 06/02/13 11:23 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Teaching adult students in general requires some different tactics on the part of the teacher, so not all piano teachers take adult students. This is aside from safety concerns of a female teacher with an adult male student. It just takes a bit more time and digging on the part of the adult student to find the right teacher.

I try to respond to emails/phone calls within 24 hours. I think that is considered normal and not too long to wait, but allows for me to choose a time and location that it suitable for discussion over the phone. I think it is rude not to call back, especially to have so many not call you back. But, then these teachers are clearly not the right ones for you, so in a way it's making your selection process a little easier. Have you tried online referral sites like getlessonsnow.com or MTNA.org?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2094255 - 06/03/13 01:02 AM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I always return calls within 24 hours, and usually when I'm done teaching if it's not too late (like 9 PM).

In the last two years I've screen some inquiries from rude folks, so I think it goes both ways.

#2094258 - 06/03/13 01:09 AM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
I think that knowing how to present yourself is part of the trick, especially given the expectations that many teachers will have because of past experiences. This has been discussed in the past but I can't remember under what titles.

#2094360 - 06/03/13 07:51 AM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: Charles Cohen]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Charles Cohen

As an adult male student (but not a beginner) --

. . . Ouch!

Have you checked his bona fides with his current teacher?

. Charles

Indeed, sorry. I find the problem really is with beginners who have no idea. Just no idea of anything. No patience, will not listen or do as I ask them and insist on doing what I ask them not to do. No idea the importance of paying or treating me with respect. Bang on the keys when frustrated. Don't practice.

They either go on to do well, at which point they're no longer beginners, or they quit.

Still, if I was to stop taking adults due to this, I would still return calls.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2094415 - 06/03/13 09:34 AM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
Jonathan Baker Offline

Loc: New York City!
Keep a precise list of which teachers you called, and when. That would apply to any business interaction. If some teachers "don't pick up the phone" then maybe, quite simply, they are not home - so, of course, you should leave a message. And look again at the list of teachers you are calling; some teachers only teach children or beginners, so they may be intimidated by intermediate to advanced students. What do their websites say about the level of students they teach? They should give a clear indication of that in advance.

Studying with someone is a two-way street, a duet, if you will, and the audition goes both ways. I remember once being asked the rather bald question, "How good a teacher are you?", to which I responded, "How good do you need any teacher to be?" In other words, I was asking the potential student to focus on what it was they thought they needed, and why they think a certain teacher would be able to supply that need.

#2094429 - 06/03/13 09:55 AM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: Jonathan Baker]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
It might also be worth reading your emails very carefully, or maybe having a friend do so.

You may be sending signals of flakiness (for want of a better term) that is putting them off. If so most people would prefer to just not reply rather than get in an argument.

You might need a reference.

Also, is it possible some of them googled you? Would they find anything on facebook, etc., that would give them pause? Students google teachers; it's not impossible that the reverse happens as well.

#2094485 - 06/03/13 11:41 AM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I didn't own a piano either in college, I always used the university practice rooms and got along just fine.

I will ALWAYS respond to a call or email, but I don't take any student over the age of 18. It has nothing to do with male or female. I just enjoy teaching children better.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#2094601 - 06/03/13 02:31 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
I received a call over the weekend asking about lessons. I called the person back this morning to thank them for their call and to ask if they would like me to put them on my wait list because my studio is full right now. The person said this, "WHY WOULD YOU EVEN BOTHER TO CALL ME BACK IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OPENINGS???!" Yes, rudely, just like that. This might be a bit off topic but I think it's necessary to phone people back as soon as possible, even if you have a wait list.

#2094644 - 06/03/13 03:21 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Wow Barb! That was a wild one. Lucky thing that you didn't have an opening!

I had a couple teachers state to me that they weren't taking students and had a waiting list--and ending the conversation without asking if I'd be interested in being on the waiting list. I thought that was a little weird, and kind of another way of saying that they didn't want me as a student.

#2094648 - 06/03/13 03:27 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: Barb860]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: Barb860
I think it's necessary to phone people back as soon as possible, even if you have a wait list.

I agree. I return calls withing 24 hours.

However, I think there is an issue that hasn't been explored yet on this thread: there are different types of teachers. Some teachers are doing this full time, and running a studio of 30-60 students. It's their livelihood and they realize they are running a full time business. These teachers ought to return all calls.

But there are also some teachers who earn a living in another way, and might teach only 5 students. They're teaching a few students because they want to, and they might not return calls because their five slots are already full and they're not looking at their teaching as their full-time business. Some might not care if they are following best business practices, just that they are giving excellent instruction to their five students.

#2094659 - 06/03/13 03:43 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Just for the record, I met with the student today and he is a perfect gentleman, keen and willing for all the patience needed. I signed him up but did explain the need for him to commit.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2094723 - 06/03/13 05:01 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: Morodiene]
pianolover85 Offline

I want to personally thank you for returning every call and E mail. I don't know why, before, I find not returning e mails and calls very frustrating...no one likes to be rejected...But I found my teacher and am now very happy!

Edited by pianolover85 (06/03/13 08:18 PM)

#2094816 - 06/03/13 08:43 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
I have a younger than myself female teacher. Before my elbows started giving me problems I: took hours no one else wanted; consciously avoiding after school hours; always paid on time; almost never canceled and always willing to pay (not always accepted); practiced like a fiend and played in the recitals without being a twittering, nervous wreck. For a long time I was her only adult student and she would usually mention when she got a new one. When I asked, later, how they were doing, they were usually already gone.

#2096920 - 06/06/13 11:22 AM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

No excuse IMO for not returning a message, if only to say you're not available.

But I think there are quite a few piano teachers out there who can keep their calendar filled teaching only children.

Not only with piano but other instruments as well there seem to be two kinds of teachers. Those who teach a lot of kids and want to specialize in teaching children. And those who teach a lot of kids but who welcome the change-of-pace of working with adult students. But children are the core market no matter what!

P.S. You may also be trying to hear back from teachers at the worst possible time. Around here this is the first week that school is out and perhaps the most popular week of the year for vacation travel...

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2097163 - 06/06/13 04:54 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
I just have to say how ironic I find this topic.

I am tempted to start another topic:

Students don't want teachers?

#2097168 - 06/06/13 04:59 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: Gary D.]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: Gary D.

Start it up, Gary! Everybody gear up for it smile

#2097191 - 06/06/13 05:32 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
chasingrainbows Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
There have been so many thoughtful, insightful responses from passionate, dedicated teachers to this topic. Did the OP ever respond or acknowledge any of these replies? I don't seem to find the OP anywhere other than the initial post.

#2097192 - 06/06/13 05:36 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: justpin]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
I'm reading them! I've a prospective session on Sunday with a guy named Peter, another fairly experienced chap who actually composes and arranges things himself as he doesn't believe in any music books.

I'd note he doesn't advertise anywhere and was recommended by another dabbler on the piano.

#2097216 - 06/06/13 06:14 PM Re: Teachers don't want students? [Re: Gary D.]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Gary D.

Or maybe teachers wanting to teach, meeting students wanting to learn. And vice versa. smile

Edited by keystring (06/06/13 07:51 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
86 registered (Atrys, ASLevelMusicTheory, 36251, AZNpiano, 24 invisible), 1111 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153597 Topics
2251164 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
04/20/14 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
04/20/14 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
04/19/14 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
04/19/14 10:23 PM
CA glue applications
by accordeur
04/19/14 10:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission