2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2090527 05/28/13 09:06 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi, and I'm new here. I have heard that the price of Estonians are going up. Is that true? If it is, are there any other pianos with the same quality that costs less. Thanks.

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Even if there were a price increase, the difference wouldn't be enough sway a purchase decision.

The quality of the instrument far outweighs the addition of a typical price increase. This is particularly true of Estonia, already considered one of the best values on the market today.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Well, the flip side of it is that now might be the time to take the plunge. If the cost is going up there will be some dealers with stock at the old prices.

Don't go for a lesser brand if you can afford an Estonia. The only others at that kind of price range are Yamaha and Kawai, and then you have to take a big step up in price and quality after that!

There is also W.Hoffmann and Petrof who are also very good.

YAMAHA Artist

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Yamaha and Kawai are not in the same league as the Estonia.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Y
ygm Offline
Y
Any idea when the prices are going up?

Thanks in advance.

ygm #2090672 05/28/13 12:59 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bos Primigenius
... are there any other pianos with the same quality that costs less?
No. The assumption that there is a close alternative is misplaced. Estonia would still be competitive at twice the price...just no longer by itself. There is really no one close in the price/quality equation which is one of the many reasons they have so many excited owners.

All manufacturers face price increases due to inflation of energy, materials & labor costs. In the past, manufacturers would tend to plan for inflation, but over our extended recession, most have had to respond to inflation with less predictable increases.

Estonia does well to manage costs, and the increases, while substantial, have generally been somewhat less than other makers. The only makers who have not experienced higher inflation are those that either partly or completely moved their production to a lower cost facility in SE Asia. By that standard, buying an Estonia IS still saving you money.
Originally Posted by ygm
Any idea when the prices are going up?
Sadly, it is inevitable, but exactly when and how much is up to the management. I guess the message is that you should purchase sooner rather than later.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
The price of Estonia is going up primarily because Steve Cohen ordered 2 containers for himself.

Good men can't keep a good thing from them when they know/see one...

Norbert laugh

In the used piano market there are certainly pianos of the same (or better) quality at a comparable (or better) price.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yamaha and Kawai are not as good as Estonia but I meant they provide a quality piano at a decent price. The used market can give you good deals, but seek professional advice in person from a tech who can inspect the piano you are interested in.

YAMAHA Artist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

Really? I'd choose an SK2, or SK3 over an Estonia any day. Both made by Kawai, and both should be in the same price range according to reliable sources. The Yamaha S series may also be a deal to be had too.

I'd also choose a Charles Walter 190 over the Estonias as well.

I'd say that Estonia is a very nice piano, but definitely not in a league of its own. It has good, if not better, company.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
The Estonias I have played have varied from dealer to dealer. Prep is important with any piano.

The best Estonias I've played have been at Sam Bennett's shop in Atlanta. Those were fine instruments!

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
B
OP Offline
B
By the way, are the Estonias worth it? They seem pretty expensive. Are they really that much better than yamahas or kawais.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy

Really? I'd choose an SK2, or SK3 over an Estonia any day. Both made by Kawai, and both should be in the same price range according to reliable sources. The Yamaha S series may also be a deal to be had too.

I'd say that Estonia is a very nice piano, but definitely not in a league of its own. It has good, if not better, company.

The pianos you cite are also in a different league, the same as occupied by Estonia. The Shigerus are not in the same league as Kawai branded pianos. The same holds true for Walter. You are merely stating a preference for instruments within the same league. Comparing a Shigeru to a Kawai is similar to comparing a Steinway to a Boston.

The question is not why Estonia is more expensive than Kawai and Yamaha, but rather why is it such a value when compared to other very fine instruments.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
This post is meant to supplement what Minnesota Marty has already stated.

The Shigeru Kawai & Charles Walter pianos you cited are "in the same league" as comparably-sized Estonia models, but they are also more expensive according to "Piano Buyer".

The Yamaha S4 & S6 pianos have been phased out, and have been replaced by the CF4 & CF6 models. (You might still be able to find some new S models in showrooms, however.) Both of those pianos are significantly more expensive than Estonia models of the same size.

Anybody, especially a good pianist who ever tried an Estonia would notice the piano to be in a class totally of its own.

The make would never had has its stellar success if this were not the case.

It's not exactly a coincidence that Estonia, now in same tier of pianos as New York Steinway, is frequently being compared -and later 'preferred' - to Steinway.

This is not only because of being a completely handmade piano but also because the piano represents an age old Baltic culture where "singing" tones have been of great importance as part of their famous choires for long time.

Estonia happens to be one of the world's most musical nations, with song and choires, even their 'singing language' being part of the equation.

It's something unique and "organically grown" that cannot be quickly copied or even "understood" by others same as a Spanish Flamingo guitar which is hard to copy and has developed its very own special sound over time.

Many people including ourselves discovered this from early on in the very beginning, long before Dr.Laul later incorporated almost 500 detailed improvements to the piano.

It's something that's grown over long time and in its own right. Interestingly enough, Estonia itself never compares itself to others or deems itself "superior"

It is 100% European, hand-made piano totally within it's own rights.

Even the best German manufacturers I have spoken to acknowlege this fact and respected Estonia for what it is.

Price increase?

Ain't seen nothin' yet..

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 06/30/13 12:11 PM.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
By the way, are the Estonias worth it?
This question is about your priorities, not Estonia's. Don't take this the wrong way, but Estonia is seeking customers that share their values that do not align with mass produced instruments. Mass produced instruments create opportunities for so many but they must have different strengths and inherent weaknesses. Learn about the identity of the instruments and think which is for you.
They seem pretty expensive.
Compared to...? You can purchase many entry-level to upper middle instruments for far less that will play and last a pretty long time. Maybe a premium piano is not for you. To summarize the responses so far, compared to Estonia, you can spend more for similar or search for premium in the used market?
Are they really that much better than yamahas or kawais.
At the things that the Estonia Piano Company values, Yes. How willing are you to learn what makes premium pianos more desirable than solid contenders like those you mention?

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
This question is about your priorities, not Estonia's. Don't take this the wrong way, but Estonia is seeking customers that share their values that do not align with mass produced instruments. Mass produced instruments create opportunities for so many but they must have different strengths and inherent weaknesses. Learn about the identity of the instruments and think which is for you.

Very true.

There are many good-excellent pianos on the market today not necessarily requiring to step up to premium quality.

In the case of Estonia, this often happens simply because of its incredible quality and [still] affordable price.

This was true for our very first customer 15 years ago as it was for our last one most recently.

This will be a piano on the up and up for quite a while yet..

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 06/30/13 12:14 PM.

H
H
are there any other pianos with the same quality that costs less.

I was in your position recently, and wondering the same thing. In terms of new pianos, I found that the Estonia L190 was the highest quality in my price range. Maybe nicer pianos could be found in the used market, but as just a regular consumer I felt uneasy about looking at used pianos.

On 3 occasions I played the Estonia L190 and the Yamaha C3X side by side. I had a clear preference for the Estonia. Although I should add that my Estonia only rose to its full potential once I removed the area rug from under it and placed it on bare hardwood floor.

The non-Shigeru Kawai pianos did absolutely nothing for me. I later played some Shigeru Kawais, which were very nice, and certainly had no complaints about them, but felt my Estonia is somehow more "alive" if that makes any sense. It really sings, even when my young children play it. It's a truly magical sound.

I also tried the Bostons and again had no real complaints, just a matter of preference for the Estonia.

Now what I did not try were the Schimmels or Petrofs because I could not find any. And a couple of used M & H and Steinways sounded nice but again I had a real fear of buying used.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy

The pianos you cite are also in a different league, the same as occupied by Estonia. The Shigerus are not in the same league as Kawai branded pianos. The same holds true for Walter. You are merely stating a preference for instruments within the same league. Comparing a Shigeru to a Kawai is similar to comparing a Steinway to a Boston.

The question is not why Estonia is more expensive than Kawai and Yamaha, but rather why is it such a value when compared to other very fine instruments.

Well said Marty.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

This is a question that has lingered for some 15 years now.

The most interesting question to me was always why someone spending about same money would opt for a piano of far less [musical] quality.

Of course the situation is not expected to last forever and when Estonia prices will be finally be going up with 2013 price increase just around corner, many will look back again in disbelief scratching their head...

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 06/30/13 12:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission