2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 16 invisible), 1,895 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by balalaika
Forcing a child (especially a young one) to play hours of scales daily is very often a sure way to lose him or her as a student.

I'm not sure anybody here is doing that!

Kids need some discipline at the piano. Just because some kids are forced to practice hours and hours of technique does not mean that none should be taught.

A lot depends on the kid. Some kids have such wonderful fingers, they hardly need any technical exercises. Some kids have such woeful fingers, no amount of Czerny, Hanon, or technical exercises will solve their issues.

For example, I loathe Hanon. I think it's one of the dumbest things a teacher could use, and it's quite irresponsible of the teacher to assign Hanon mindlessly without covering the important techniques involved (shaping, rotation, etc.). That being said, I see the value of Hanon for some students, and I don't hesitate to include Hanon when necessary.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...One does not need to play soulless scales for hours every day..."

You do until your hands know how to do them. If it takes hours, well, then it does. But I don't think anyone is saying that practice or lesson time should be all technic and no repertoire (and no one has said anything about 'forcing' except you). They have to be integrated and taken in due measure, and the mainspring is the desire to be able to play things you love.

Clef

I noticed that Jonathan Baker offered an advice to promptly dismiss colleagues who have a different teaching method. I also noticed that nobody objected. Does it mean everybody here agree with Jonathan?

btb #2096083 06/05/13 10:14 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by btb
Jonathan adds to the chat with ...

“I cannot name one major pianist in history
who did not master scales, arpeggios, etc. at an early age”

Chopin used to play Bach.

Regards btb

You are correct - Chopin memorized a great deal of Bach's keyboard music and assigned it to his students. Chopin mandated the practice of scales, arpeggios, trills, which he specifically supervised with all his students.

According to his students:

"The scales with several black keys (B, F# and D-flat) were studied first, whereas C major, as the most difficult, came last. He made his pupils practice scales with a full tone, as legato as possible, very slowly at first and only gradually advancing to a quicker tempo, and with metronomic evenness. To facilitate passing the thumb under the other fingers and passing the fingers over, the hand was to be given a corresponding turn inward." - Mikuli

"Chopin made his pupils begin with the B major scale, very slowly, without stiffness." - Dubois/Niecks

"He recommended daily work on scales and arpeggios played with regularity, and set great store by scales lightly accented in groups of three or four, or even played three against four and vice versa." - Gretsch.

Chopin's technical studies included Clementi's Preludes et Exercises and Gradus ad Parnassum, a few of Cramer's Etudes as well as a wide variety of Bach. These he considered indispensable preparation to the study of his own music.

I recommend Jean-Jacques Eigeldinger's "Chopin, Pianist and Teacher: as seen by his pupils." published by Cambridge.

Regards,

JB

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by montunoman
My 9 year old daughter has been doing piano about five years now. She’s done well... I arranged to sign her up for lessons this summer with a well know jazz pianist/teacher. The jazz teacher requested that she comes to first lesson knowing all the major scales.

I have a feeling there is some misunderstanding about what the teacher has asked you to do. I think that a teacher telling a parent to teach their child all the major scales, means that you teach the child the key signatures so that the child can write the scales.

"Knowing the scales" is quite different from playing the scales fluently, and is more suitable to what a parent wanting to jump start lessons could manage.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 06/05/13 10:36 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
And I'm pretty sure the jazz teacher would want the student to be fluent in scale playing. Have you ever watched jazz players? They use scale material all the time! The fluency with which they play is amazing. I would bet the teacher is looking for that and will adapt the scales to the jazz forms.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...I have a feeling there is some misunderstanding about what the teacher has asked you to do. I think that a teacher telling a parent to teach their child all the major scales, means that you teach the child the key signatures so that the child can write the scales..."

Five years, doing well, no scales--- I find it hard to understand, too, but the OP's statement is clear enough. So is Chopin's. End of argument; the court rules in favor of Chopin. Recognizing and writing the key signatures is good, Ann, but when one can't play the scales, what are they but ink spots on the page. If the mind knows them but the fingers don't, it's not enough. I could almost say, that depriving a child of the opportunity to take this in, while the mind is plastic and effortlessly acquisitive, is even cruel.

But I'm getting the feeling we're revisiting the "we don't vaccinate" argument again, and no facts will persuade.

"...My 9 year old daughter has been doing piano about five years now. She’s done well... I arranged to sign her up for lessons this summer with a well know[n] jazz pianist/teacher. The jazz teacher requested that she comes to first lesson knowing all the major scales. I told her regular piano teacher about the jazz teacher's request and I was surprised that the regular teacher said she did not understand why my daughter would have to know her scales. The regular teacher went on to explain that it's better to learn pieces that contain lots of scale passages - like Bach. Basically she said that practicing scales outside of a musical context was a bit of a waste of time. In short she wouldn't agree to teacher my daughter her scales..."

Clef

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
My guess is that this 9 year old can already play 3 or 4 major scales at least.

In my own experience of jazz lessons, we wrote out scales and from there worked on triads and 7th chords, identifying major, minor, diminished, half diminished, augmented. We worked on playing chords, but I never was asked to play a scale.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 06/05/13 11:07 AM.
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by tend to rush
Her "regular teacher" doesn't know anything about jazz. Her answer may make some sense for a classical student (not really, though, as referring back to the key signature to know what sharps and flats to play isn't much of a way to read music - even a classical player needs to know "I'm in A flat" - and exactly what A flat looks like.

The jazz player, however, needs an absolutely thorough knowledge of scales - not just the Majors, ultimately, but the modes - Dorian, Mixolydian, etc., as well. If you haven't had enough replies yet, post this in Pianist Corner - Non Classical. They'll let you know.

I'm a jazzer, so yeah, I fully understand the importance of scale study. I was just wondering if my daughter's "legit' teacher's philosophy on scales was typical. Aparently not.

M
OP Offline
M
Very interesting thread! I noticed that nobody sided with the teacher of the original poster's daughter. So I am the first!
...The regular teacher went on to explain that it's better to learn pieces that contain lots of scale passages - like Bach. Basically she said that practicing scales outside of a musical context was a bit of a waste of time. In short she wouldn't agree to teacher my daughter her scales. OK... What do you think?

I totally agree with this teacher on scales. Recently I discussed this topic with my older friend, very distinguished music educator and piano clinician who previously taught at the Royal Conservatory of Music and currently teaches at the University of Toronto.

She agreed that there are much better things to do then practicing scales. Instead of scales it would be much more beneficial to assign the students lots of studies and technically challenging pieces. Instead of spending hours of mechanical exercises her students use that valuable practice time for the activities that develop their creativity and musicianship while improving their piano technique and acquiring new repertoire at the same time.

The major problem with practicing lots of scales is that it goes contrary to the fundamental goal of piano performance which is the revealing of the emotional content of the musical composition. In my opinion, no matter what kind of music your student is studying it should always have deep core emotional content. One does not need to play soulless scales for hours every day. On the contrary, playing lots of dry and boring exercises develops a boring and mechanical performing style.

When I was a music college student I was taught to listen my own playing very intensely. The physical accommodations were supposed to arrive from within as a result of the desire to re-create on the piano the sound you create at first in your mind. I believe it is the right approach. Also helpful were exercises my teacher and later myself were creating out of difficult places of my current pieces.

All the benefits of playing scales listed in the previous posts could be achieved while studying musically and emotionally engaging repertoire. It is very rare case when a child likes playing scales. Most of them hate scales.

Forcing a child (especially a young one) to play hours of scales daily is very often a sure way to lose him or her as a student.

Originally Posted by Barb860
It might be interesting for teachers who do not teach scales, and think they are a waste of time, to post their reasoning and experience here. I do not understand this approach at all.

I cannot claim that I do not teach scales. Unfortunately, (because of the RCM curriculum) I have no choice but get my students to prepare tons and tons of scales for the practical examinations. RCM has totally overwhelming scale and arpeggio requirements which are in my view completely useless. All these scales separated by third, sixth, tenth and so on student will probably never encounter in his/her real piano repertoire. What a waste of time!

If one wants to master double notes he/she should study Thirds by Chopin or Feux Follets by Liszt. I never encountered someone who got proficient with double notes by studying double note scales...

Originally Posted by Jonathan Baker
I cannot name one major pianist in history who did not master scales, arpeggios, etc. at an early age, nor can I name one major piano teacher in history who dismissed scales as irrelevant. Any so-called teacher who dismisses the importance of scales should themselves be dismissed, and promptly.

Unfortunately, I am not a major piano teacher (though I managed to win an international piano competition myself and my students are doing quite well). So I guess I am falling into the category of 'so-called' teachers.

But with the example of the major pianist - it's easy! Russian born (with German roots) pianist Sviatoslav Richter could be a good enough example of a renowned pianist who did not studied scales. He talks on this subject in the Monsaingeon's biographical film 'Richter: The Enigma'. Not playing scales did not prevent him from achieving amazing virtuosity. Instead of wasting hours on mechanical exercises he spent the valuable time on developing his vast repertoire.

Or may be Richter also should be promptly dismissed as a 'so-called' pianist??

Yes, your views seem to be similar to my daughter's "regular" teacher. Although I'm not quite full agreement, you make some good points. Thanks for posting.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
My 9 year old daughter has been doing piano about five years now. She’s done well... I arranged to sign her up for lessons this summer with a well know jazz pianist/teacher. The jazz teacher requested that she comes to first lesson knowing all the major scales.

I have a feeling there is some misunderstanding about what the teacher has asked you to do. I think that a teacher telling a parent to teach their child all the major scales, means that you teach the child the key signatures so that the child can write the scales.

"Knowing the scales" is quite different from playing the scales fluently, and is more suitable to what a parent wanting to jump start lessons could manage.

The jazz teacher wants my daughter to be able to play the major scales with correct fingering.

Good news, since I originally posted this, she has learned all 12 major scales with standard fingering (in C, she can do hands together and the rest of the keys she is doing just RH, one octave) I did have to bride her a bit... I told her that when she learned her major scales, could play them in tempo and with correct fingering, she'd get a trip to the water park. Guess where I'm going this weekend? smile

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
a lot of this discussion reminds me of the debates about phonics vs. whole word teaching. My daughter did great on phonics but my son didn't respond to to phonics but did learn to read with whole word (Dick and Jane style). Now, both score in the 90th percentile on standardized tests. So what am I getting at? There's more than one way there, wherever there is. When I went from rock guitar, with it's emphasis on learning chords and then learning to solo over them with scales, to recorder and (classical) piano I was surprised at how long you could go in lessons without having talks about knowing what chord you were on and how a horizontal melody was harmonized with vertically stacked notes roughly a third apart. Scales were only presented to me as exercises to develop facility with a vague, you'll need to know these one day. On the piano, it was only after 2 years and when we were in book 3 did we start to break pieces down by what chord we were on and understanding the harmonic movement/progression.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Good news, since I originally posted this, she has learned all 12 major scales with standard fingering (in C, she can do hands together and the rest of the keys she is doing just RH, one octave) I did have to bride her a bit... I told her that when she learned her major scales, could play them in tempo and with correct fingering, she'd get a trip to the water park. Guess where I'm going this weekend? smile

Your daughter is to be congratulated for some major progress in short order. However, so you are aware of the varying standards, in my studio, this would not be considered acceptable, for a 5th year student. Such a student would be doing 3 octaves, in triplets, hands together and separately, at a metronome setting of 72 per beat (every 3 notes in this case). This, incidentally, is not an unusually high standard.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

Your daughter is to be congratulated for some major progress in short order. However, so you are aware of the varying standards, in my studio, this would not be considered acceptable, for a 5th year student. Such a student would be doing 3 octaves, in triplets, hands together and separately, at a metronome setting of 72 per beat (every 3 notes in this case). This, incidentally, is not an unusually high standard.

My main concern would be that a one octave scale does not teach at all what the hands have to do for 2 or more octaves.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I noticed that Jonathan Baker offered an advice to promptly dismiss colleagues who have a different teaching method. I also noticed that nobody objected. Does it mean everybody here agree with Jonathan?

No. Not completely.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

I will try to get her scales up more octaves and hand's together over the summer. At this point, I just wanted her to get a feel the major scales especially now that she'll be needing them in her jazz studies.

She has been with her "regular" teacher for two years now. The first year I taught her and then she had lessons with another teacher but that didn't really work for us.

Anyways, besides the issue with scales, I'm quite happy with her regular teacher. She has her students very active in recitals, competitions, and festivals. Many of her students (including my daughter) received "All State" and the outstanding rating. Many of the judges are recognized names in piano education some of them are composers of music that a lot the teachers here use in their programs. she was a good personal friend of the author of "a Dozen a Day"- a book she does use. In short, her teacher is well respected and known in this area.

But her oppositions to scales is not seating well with me. I have no issues with her not really knowing or understanding jazz, but to me scales are so fundamental to any style of music. I just figured that she would get to them at some point. Her teacher is in her 80's so I figure she'll well retire within a few years (though she shows no signs of slowing down, she's very active)

Perhaps my daughter’s jazz teacher will get her on a stronger scale study routine, that shouldn’t really be her job.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
balalaika -

Regarding scales: my goal with younger piano students (I am referring to the 5 - 11 year old category) is to develop, lesson-by-lesson, easy familiarity with key signatures and their corresponding scales and the simple triads built on those scales.

Younger students learn scales very quickly and easily, and it amuses me that they enjoy showing them off to me, and that they think flipping chords up and down in different inversions is clever, or trying out cadences in different keys is an adventure worth taking on. Sight reading is pursued the same way. And why not? - to have it all as common and normal as any other child's adventure. In this regard, the darker realms of grim suffering you refer are unknown to me and my students. But then, I do not have the burden of working under someone else's agenda as you do, and I appreciate the unfair imposition that puts upon you.

Within lessons I usually spend around 5 to 10 minutes supervising scales specifically to follow up on whatever aspect we discussed the previous week. I doubt these younger students spend much more time than that practicing them daily, and that is fine with me, because my goal at those early stages is not robotic hyper-virtuosity of the sort pursued by ambitious "tiger-moms" for their precious prodigies (so they think), but to gracefully guide students forward into being actual musicians. I do not find this difficult, nor do they resist.

After we put together the basic scales we are free to experiment with suppleness and tone - the sort of things that even younger pianists never find "boring". Not around me, anyway. Sight reading is always in their practice agenda and gets about another 10 minutes in the lesson as well, and we pursuit in the same spirit. Then there is the repertoire with all that entails. I incorporate some of theory teaching into the repertoire at hand as much as possible without being to heavy-handed about it (" Say, how many V chords are followed by a I chord in this piece anyway? Let's look...") and they seem to be game for the exploration. Ear training is always interesting to children, so there are no end of opportunities for that: listening to identifying chords (major,minor, augmented, etc) or intervals, or simple dictation, and so on. So, with children that is how I go about scales extending into musicianship.

(Regarding teenagers in the more advanced stages - that would move this into a more extensive discussion, particularly if they decide they have professional ambitions - so I am limiting this post only to younger students in the elementary to intermediate stage). And since children pick up these lego-blocks of scales & chords, etc. and other elements of music so easily, and without resistance (in my experience) I regard it as a golden opportunity not to be missed to build real music literacy while their minds are most receptive and will retain it for the rest of their lives.

Why should we regard something so simple and easy to acquire as scales and chords as a chamber of horrors? The notion is comical. Students will take their cues from me, and if I have a negative attitude about something, however much I think I am hiding it, they will pick it up subconsciously - that much I am sure of.

I have known suffering in this life, but none of it came from scales or arpeggios. LOL!

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I work with families who for the most part simply can't afford more then 1/2 hour lessons. I know that many people here teach a minimum of 45 minutes, and that is a luxury I wish I had.

That's why I asked about lesson length.

Because I have to try to cover scales in very little time, I start out with two and hammer on what we can get out of them. The two scales are C and B.

I teach C because it is difficult, requires angling of the hands, has two white to white crosses, and so on. I start with two octaves, never one, and only discuss one octave scales as "special cases", since they appear frequently in music and sort of teach themselves. I not only encourage students to play more than 2 octaves, I'm fine with them doing more than 4. But they need to play at least 2 octaves to understand the fingering principles and the technique.

With the C scale my young students will always miss the fingering until we drill on it, and I never do both hands together until I think that both hands are equally fluent and automatic. I will delay hands together as long as necessary to get this done.

The B scale almost teaches itself. Thumbs on B and E, play all the black keys, effortless movement.

Starting off with B, F# and Db is technically sound, but unless we have young students who are playing in those keys regularly (I WISH!), they are not automatically reinforced by music.

The technical advantages of understanding scales are obvious. Knowing all 12 of them, understanding the key signatures, how they change to various minor forms, how they can morph into modes, all these things are very important and useful.

But after absorbing all the four octaves scales that are normally taught through high school I never practiced them after that except when teaching. To this day I am not sure what the balance should be between scales, isolated as a way of practicing technique, and etudes that USE them, which seem to drill them in a different, more flexible way.

Last edited by Gary D.; 06/07/13 02:31 AM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...I told her that when she learned her major scales, could play them in tempo and with correct fingering, she'd get a trip to the water park..."

As the sages say. You can catch more flies with sugar...

The very same technique works like a charm when training my dogs, who will do just about anything for half a weenie.

Clef

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm waiting for the video of the dogs playing their scales!

Learner
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission