Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
126 registered (AZ_Astro, Anne'sson, 661-Pete, anotherscott, 42 invisible), 1327 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2096015 - 06/05/13 08:01 AM Hiromi Uehara
Goof Offline

Loc: UK
By chance, on Utube, I came across this fantastic jazz pianist just about two days ago.
It is strange that this should happen just when Dave Brubeck should die. I had Dave's LPs in the sixties but moved away from listening to jazz to listening to classic piano.
Now this pianist reminds me of all my happy days. It is if I'm back on the beach with my kids and our Dalmation dog running in the waves!
listen espcially to her playing Johann Pachebel's cannon in D.

Piano & Music Accessories
#2096394 - 06/05/13 05:17 PM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
Jazz+ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
I agree. She is a great pianist.
I find this pretty inspiring, amazing the way it builds, and rank it in the top 10:

#2096734 - 06/06/13 02:39 AM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
phacke Offline

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014

Loc: CO, USA
Yes indeed, she is great, just started listening to her some months back too. Glad she is alive.

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Sonata No. 1 in B minor (BWV 1014) duet with violin
F. Chopin, Prelude 28 (15)

#2096749 - 06/06/13 03:51 AM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Jazz+]
In A Silent Way Offline

I agree she's a great pianist but I'm afraid the example above is not very representative of her jazz, which is more of an intense classical virtuoso with an incredible groove, than of this (sorry) romantic soup of "the haze".

If you listen to her records you'll hear as well, extremely well played and compose, in a classical way that's well perfect.

I'd watch this instead :

(starting at 11'00'' she's playing one of her own composition if you want to pass on Gershwins)

#2096785 - 06/06/13 06:13 AM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Jazz+]
Goof Offline

"In a silent way" could well apply to the the bass in this piece! IMHO the bass kills this otherwise interesting study, which I think is aptly named. The second time I listened to it I tuned out most of the base and really enjoyed it.

#2096787 - 06/06/13 06:16 AM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
Goof Offline

Sorry, I should have made the point that I was refering to the piece named HAZE.

#2096792 - 06/06/13 06:38 AM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

the next Mulgrew Miller - NOT!

#2097116 - 06/06/13 03:37 PM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: In A Silent Way]
phacke Offline

Originally Posted By: In A Silent Way
I agree she's a great pianist but I'm afraid the example above is not very representative of her jazz, which is more of an intense classical virtuoso with an incredible groove, than of this (sorry) romantic soup of "the haze".

I wanted to express the same as I am in agreement with you, Silent Way. My current favorite is the Viva Vegas suite,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhUn9BEN3Mk&noredirect=1

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:

#2103061 - 06/15/13 09:20 PM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
DaveRobertsJazz Offline

I fell in love with Hiromi's playing on YouTube - incredible chops, very inventive, charismatic - especially what she did with amazing solo versions of "I've Got Rhythm" and "Pachelbel's Canon."

So I was really looking forward to catching her live at SF Jazz a few months ago. Unfortunately, the concert was so bad I left at intermission. I sensed there might be trouble when I saw the humongous drum kit on stage.

Sure enough, every tune was very loud jazz rock as Hiromi and the bassist amped and banged it up to be heard over the drummer, who was whacking the heck out of the skins and cymbals. It was a lot of sound and fury, signifying pretty much nothing.

I'd only attend a Hiromi concert if she was playing solo.

#2103115 - 06/15/13 11:41 PM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Did you stay long enough to see me? I came on at the intermission, and left right afterwards.

#2104748 - 06/19/13 05:29 AM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: BDB]
Dfrankjazz Offline

Loc: NYC
I think Hiromi is wonderful, she's one of the annointed players that arrives young and is here to bring us great music..Chick has a lightning rod for these annointed folks (being one himself..

Dave Frank

#2105144 - 06/19/13 11:31 PM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
phacke Offline

M. BDB, Um..., are you implying that you were the tech in charge of the Yamaha CFX there? If so, that is just too cool. I remember your posting about the event in the Piano forum around the time surrounding the concert.

Anyhow, you as are an acoustic pro, somebody has to tell them (the musicians, the mixing board engineer) what to do if the instruments are not in balance, take the lead!

Sometimes (it seems to me) a Japanese musician cannot tell another musician to turn down the volume. I say this because I have seen this happen in Japan. A top class cellist visibly struggling trying to be heard against a pianist in a very small auditorium. It was so obviously out of balance. I wish I had spoken up.

Regards-

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:

#2105146 - 06/19/13 11:40 PM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: DaveRobertsJazz]
phacke Offline

Originally Posted By: DaveRobertsJazz
I fell in love with Hiromi's playing on YouTube - incredible chops, very inventive, charismatic - especially what she did with amazing solo versions of "I've Got Rhythm" and "Pachelbel's Canon."

So I was really looking forward to catching her live at SF Jazz a few months ago. Unfortunately, the concert was so bad I left at intermission. I sensed there might be trouble when I saw the humongous drum kit on stage.

Sure enough, every tune was very loud jazz rock as Hiromi and the bassist amped and banged it up to be heard over the drummer, who was whacking the heck out of the skins and cymbals. It was a lot of sound and fury, signifying pretty much nothing.

I'd only attend a Hiromi concert if she was playing solo.

Hello Mr. Robert,

For sure, I would by far much rather see a Hiromi Uehara solo too. But I would go see whatever if she came to my area.

These two items, with her trio, are examples of pieces I like:

Beethoven's Pathetique, a slow/quiet/delicate piece:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCp3qGzkxig

or Move, which, cranks -- and if you can program into your mobile phone alarm clock will work quite well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxYw7Y45Eo

All the best -

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:

#2105726 - 06/21/13 12:15 PM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
RonL Offline

Guess I am getting old - I just get it. I saw her at the Blue Note with Simon P on drums - didn't do anything for me. I watched some of the YouTubes - doesn't connect with me. Techincally amazing but doesn't resonnate But that is why there is moe than one color of paint at the hardware store.

#2105809 - 06/21/13 02:52 PM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: RonL]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RonL
Guess I am getting old - I just get it. I saw her at the Blue Note with Simon P on drums - didn't do anything for me. I watched some of the YouTubes - doesn't connect with me. Techincally amazing but doesn't resonnate But that is why there is moe than one color of paint at the hardware store.

Same here. Incredibly talented, but I'd rather listen to someone like Enrico Pieranunzi or Alan Broadbent any time of the day. Hiromi's playing amazes me, but it doesn't move me like the some of my favorite players. I don't think it has anything to do with age either, because I like plenty of other younger jazz pianists(Ethan Iverson, Adam Benjamin, Tigran Hamasyan, Aaron Parks, Taylor Eigsti and Gearld Clayton to name a few).

Edited by etcetra (06/21/13 02:54 PM)

#2106407 - 06/22/13 07:04 PM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: RonL]
Music Me Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: RonL

I agree. She is technically brilliant. For me, I hear no "soul". I would love to hear her play something without the pyrotechnics. However, I don't know that it would be who she is musically.

#2106425 - 06/22/13 07:51 PM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#2107955 - 06/25/13 04:45 PM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
shepdave Offline

Loc: Vienna, VA
Hiromi is great. Almost overwhelmingly virtuosic, actually. Check out this performance of "Choux a la Creme."

I particularly like the plucked bass part starting at 2:57, and the chords played by her left wrist at 5:33.

PS: I find this piece to be a lot of fun, but I'll grant that it's pretty "show-offy." I like it, but I can see how some folks might be a bit put off by it.

Edited by shepdave (06/25/13 04:48 PM)

#2108243 - 06/26/13 06:29 AM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

HiroMEH.

#2108356 - 06/26/13 12:25 PM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
Rollin shoulders Offline

Loc: WNY
I wanted to agree with the poster of this thread, I too, just last night came across her playing and was blown away. Very inspiring!!!

She's pretty cute too wink
A.S in Music and Science '13
Music Certificate '13

#2108758 - 06/26/13 10:08 PM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
The first time I tuned for her, one of the stage hands told me that I did not have to worry about setting the pins, she was just a little wisp of a girl who barely tinkled on the keys. Knowing those stage hands, I knew what to expect!

#2110016 - 06/29/13 01:25 AM Re: Hiromi Uehara [Re: Goof]
phacke Offline

I'm thinking about the above discussion. Hiromi's Uehara's work intersects a great deal with jazz, and for marketing purposes, she is placed in the Jazz bin. To get involved in the music scene she must take a label. But, in interviews, she has emphasized a wide range of musical influences outside of Jazz and tried not to be totally lumped in the Jazz genre.

So, I was wondering about the nexus in the thread, Enrico Pieranunzi or Alan Broadbent, written above. Yes, those guys are absolutely great, playing perfect music in their genre. I like it a lot. Maybe it comes from the movies and my visions are not original, but it gives me visions of wet cobblestone streets at 1:00 AM in 1950s Paris. Or, a good whiskey at the bar. Or, someone sitting alone on a bench in an attractive natural setting. The mood I associate is 'melancholy'.

Hiromi sometimes intersects into that sphere with her own twist. Two people have posted the same video, Haze. Some people above have commented critically about that piece and given specific reason, and I have to agree; but, she has other pieces in the type that are more successful, I think.

But ultimately, I think, that genre is not where she should make her mark, because there are other people already there doing it very well. In any work, not just music, differentiation and specialization with focus so you can excel at what you do is a recipe for success.

Secondly, there seems to be no disagreement that she is technically excellent. When executed well, the juxtaposed riffs, changing tempos and time signatures, using the piano for untraditional sound effects, increasing the ratio of major vs minor and modal scales, incredible passion--these can create 'excitement.' It has to be executed flawlessly to work well. And, she can execute. I propose melancholy sells in clubs. Excitement headlines concert halls and arenas.

Lastly, I have read somewhere about her efforts to do complex things on the piano that have never been done before. One has to respect that kind of thing, for example, Jimi Hendrix bringing the electrical guitar to another sphere. This is advancement of the art. Many works that are products of this effort will not be successful, but I think Hiromi has good odds of making some of them work, and she is young.

Best regards -

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160049 Topics
2350410 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission