Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2096086 - 06/05/13 10:16 AM Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit
hkginger Offline

Our 6-month old Kawai K6 piano has been having BUZZ/ZEE sound on many keys and tech came yesterday for an hour. He took out many parts of the piano and tighten all the screws, nothing really loose. He did something to the "felt" a bit?! Keys sound good at this point. At the end he put the front piece and slow fall board (with music rack), all the BUZZ/ZEE sound came back. We notice that when music rack flip up, those sounds are more obvious than the music rack flip up. Today, those sounds come out from other keys as well. My pianist is not happy. Also our fall board is up a bit more on one side than the other when CLOSED since 1 month after we received the piano.This tech/tuner never able to fix it. Also there is strong echo sound around the piano and we learn to ignore it for the past 3 months.

Piano was tuned one month ago. Is this sympathetic vibration? The front casters are kind of loose and I have already put some hard paper underneath. The piano is placed in a big family room. What else should I do.... I know I need to call the dealer and insist another tech. But before that, anything else I should so? Should I try putting a rug under the piano? Get rid of all furniture to see if the noise disappear? I am LOST..... We really want the BUZZ to go away.

Please kindly advise.

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2096104 - 06/05/13 10:41 AM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Sometimes sympathetic vibration is not coming from the piano at all - even though it seems to be. Metronomes are common offenders. Loose glass in picture frames, French doors and cabinets in the room are often culprits as well. To make a determination, have someone walk through the room, touching glass in frames - and anything similar that could be buzzing - while you continuously play the note(s) that seems to produce the buzz.

Edited by bkw58 (06/05/13 10:46 AM)
Edit Reason: clarity

"Not to know what took place before you were born is to remain forever a child." - Cicero

#2096105 - 06/05/13 10:42 AM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
From the sounds of your description, the buzz only appears when the fallboard and/or music rack is in place? That sounds like the place to start investigating...

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

#2096135 - 06/05/13 11:23 AM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
bkw58 Offline

"Also our fall board is up a bit more on one side than the other when CLOSED since 1 month after we received the piano"

I must have missed this. What you describe indicates an improper fit. If the fallboard pins are not seated properly in the hinges, this could easily be the problem.

"Not to know what took place before you were born is to remain forever a child." - Cicero

#2096262 - 06/05/13 02:46 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I once fixed a buzz on that same model piano and it could be the same thing. One quick possible fix would be to tighten the locking cams on the inside of the panel, at each top corner of the panel. The idea being that when the cams are in their locked position, the panel would be pulled a little tighter into position. That didn't work for me, so I removed the panel and glued felt strips on the side edges where it contacts the sides of the piano. The felt was thick enough that it filled the gap but not so thick that the panel wouldn't fit.

#2096342 - 06/05/13 04:09 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
Tunewerk Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Buzzes usually come from window panes, other furniture in the room, paper clips and detritus wedged in the right location, air supply and return ducts, etc.

It takes time and money to find these sources in the room. Seldom is it the actual piano.

If it is in your piano, it will probably be (in descending order):

- loose continuous hinge screws in the music desk or lid
- springs in the action, vibrating against parts or glue
- slightly loose case hardware (with washers)
- damper wires or string issues

Casters are not the problem.

Unity of tone through applied research.

#2096516 - 06/05/13 09:24 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: Tunewerk]
Steven Bolstridge Offline

Loc: Fitzgerald ,GA
lock mechanism can sometimes buzz right at the top

#2096602 - 06/05/13 11:06 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
Gary Fowler Offline

Buzzing can be a pain in the butt to find the cause. If I can't find the obvious sorce(something laying on the sounboard, a piano lamp on top of the piano etc, than it's just a process of elimination. Worst case, Move the piano into a different room. Does it still buzz there? if so it's likely coming from inside the piano somewhere

#2096640 - 06/06/13 12:00 AM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
monads Offline

Loc: CA
Tunewerk layed out some good places to start. I originally had some buzzing or more like vibrations from the fallboard when playing my K8 but adjusting the little rubber bumper it rests upon corrected it.

I recently noticed one key with a noisy spring! My tech is going to fix next time he visits.

#2097807 - 06/07/13 11:50 AM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
hkginger Offline

To Bkw58, monads, Gary Fowler, Steven Bolsridge, Tunewerk, Zeno Wood, Rod Tuner-Thank you for all your feedback.
My pianist see obvious vibration from the music rack and fallboard. Buzz/tee sound appears on quite many keys, but a bit less when music rack is down. The piano sounds "good" before the tech put back the fallboard. I will do some changes in the environment before I call the dealer for another technicians to investigate the fallboard and music rack.

Thanks. Barb

#2097935 - 06/07/13 02:48 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
BenP Offline

Loc: South Jersey
Or, like the persistent buzz I was puzzling over the other day that only happened on a C6 . . . the hinge pins for the piano lid. It seriously can be anything, and the "direction" of the sound can be very misleading sometimes as well.

I'll also second what Steven said above: some of those Kawai uprights can have very pesky buzzes that come out of the lock mechanism at the front of the keybed/fallboard.

#2097938 - 06/07/13 02:57 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: BenP]
hkginger Offline

thank you, BenP.

#2100504 - 06/10/13 05:38 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
Goof Offline

Loc: UK
No body has suggested the "Press Test".
You play the buzzy note, hold it down or keep repeating and at the same time press down on any part which seems closest to the sound, This can even include non speaking lengths of the strings.
Never fails for me.

#2100555 - 06/10/13 06:57 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
Terry Benge Offline

Loc: Southeastern Ky
I had a KG-2D with a keyslip buzz. There is a metal strip installed with small screws. When i removed it the buzz stopped so I realized I had found the problem. The funny thing is, the buzz did not sound like it was coming from there, more from the music desk area. Don't know if your Kawai has that but you can check.

#2100583 - 06/10/13 07:50 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
Jbyron Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
A buzz like that could be caused by loose soundboard buttons. Did your technician pull the piano away from the wall and tighten these up?

#2100587 - 06/10/13 07:53 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
KawaiDon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
These kinds of buzzes can be very annoying, but they are understandable (since the piano is a vibrating device) and they can be eliminated. It takes a technician with experience and sometimes a little persistence.

The most common cause is in the long hinges of the cabinet, and by pressing on the various parts of the piano you can usually find out which one. The hinge can be treated so that the noise doesn't happen any more.

If you live in the US or Canada you should contact Kawai America and ask for assistance. Be sure to have the serial number when you call. 800-421-2177, press 1 for service.

If you live in another part of the world, your dealer is your best resource for help. Let them know the first tuner was unsuccessful, and that this problem needs to be taken care of.

The tuner can also contact me if he needs guidance. Send me a private message if you want to try that.

As others have said, other things in the room can cause the noise and it can REALLY sound like it is in the piano. But if it stops when case parts are removed that sort of indicates it is in the piano.

Let us know what it turns out to be!

#2100719 - 06/11/13 12:58 AM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: bkw58]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: KZ
Originally Posted By: bkw58
French doors

Buzz glass it's French doors?

#2105718 - 06/21/13 11:59 AM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
hkginger Offline

Thank you all for your feedback. Another tech comes today, it is the screws at the back of the front panel.
Now my pianist enjoys a lot more...

#2105822 - 06/21/13 03:22 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
bkw58 Offline

Originally Posted By: hkginger
Thank you all for your feedback. Another tech comes today, it is the screws at the back of the front panel.
Now my pianist enjoys a lot more...

thumb

#2105869 - 06/21/13 04:52 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Glad to hear it's solved. Hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your new piano.

#2105955 - 06/21/13 08:29 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I had a call back today for a buzz on a nice Kawai grand that I tuned last week. Nothing buzzed when I arrived, but after a few minutes the buzz appeared at middle "C". The client played the note while I checked the room - The light fixture in the ceiling over the piano was the culprit.

Areas in Kawai that often buzz include locks on the stretcher - hinge screws - lid hinge pins - hinge pin screws - leg ferrules, and agraffe terminations (move the string side to side with a bit of force to grind down the agraffe hole on those).

Don, any cure for the locks? - it's the female receptacle bit. A client with an RX had a Q-tip shoved in the lock to stop the buzz. He had already glued all the hinge screws in place till I showed him it was the lock.

#2105995 - 06/21/13 10:30 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: Bob]
Jbyron Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Good one Bob! Agraffe terminations. I had a Story & Clark the other day with that very same issue. I like your fix for that.

#2106013 - 06/21/13 11:41 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yea, agraffe buzzes in Dongbei happen as well. How did you fix the Story and Clark?

#2107229 - 06/24/13 02:13 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
hkginger Offline

Thank you all...

#2107271 - 06/24/13 03:08 PM Re: Kawai piano BUZZ sound still not resolved after tech visit [Re: hkginger]
hkginger Offline

Today my pianist hears a little faint buzz on very few keys. I will let it go for now... Piano still sounds much better than one month ago. I wonder if it is the hot weather in NJ. Tech is trying to sell me Dampp Chaser ...

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (36251, AndrewJCW, AmateurBob, 42 invisible), 1791 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156142 Topics
2292925 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
59 minutes 30 seconds ago
Guidance for Publishing
by Dachshund
Today at 06:02 PM
Keith Emerson Playing NY in October!
by Piano World
Today at 05:52 PM
Action parts any different from 80s,90s, 2k Charles Walter?
by Gatsbee13
Today at 04:36 PM
Question about finger reach!
by Plopsy
Today at 04:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission