2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
T
The FP-50 keybed feels better than RD300NX. Tried the FP in a shop a couple of weeks ago and it reallly is less 'sluggish' than the action on my RD.

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I received the FP-50 2 days ago and the action is too much work to play. I will return it and be sticking with the FP-4 and it's lighter action.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I had the RD-64 for a few weeks (returned because I found it a little too limiting). I agree that the newer "G" action is hard work - you kind of have to force each note down - but, paradoxically, I could also play expressively and swiftly on it. Comparing it to the PX-5S, which has a similar depth, and therefore key length, I'd say that the Casio is a more balanced action, but it may not be quite as responsive (repeated notes are slightly easier/faster on the Roland, despite the pressure required).

It's ironic that the old FP-4 used to get hammered for its action by its critics (pun not intended!), and yet a number of people (including me) found it remarkably responsive given the size and weight of that DP. There's always going to be a compromise with the smaller boards, and Roland responded to the criticisms of the Alpha action by trying to keep all the main features of the PHAIII keybed, while scaling it down to fit the reduced dimensions. Something has to give in that equation.

I did find that, after a couple of weeks, I had adjusted to the "G" action sufficiently not to worry about it while playing. If I stopped to think about it, it seemed overly heavy, and occasionally I'd lose the odd note in a fast run because I hadn't hit the key with enough force, or had struck it too near the pivot point. I had been thinking about replacing the RD with the FP-50, but I'm on the fence about it due to these slight qualms concerning the action. I think I was a little hasty in selling my FP-4...

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by voxpops
I had the RD-64 for a few weeks (returned because I found it a little too limiting). I agree that the newer "G" action is hard work - you kind of have to force each note down - but, paradoxically, I could also play expressively and swiftly on it. Comparing it to the PX-5S, which has a similar depth, and therefore key length, I'd say that the Casio is a more balanced action, but it may not be quite as responsive (repeated notes are slightly easier/faster on the Roland, despite the pressure required).

It's ironic that the old FP-4 used to get hammered for its action by its critics (pun not intended!), and yet a number of people (including me) found it remarkably responsive given the size and weight of that DP. There's always going to be a compromise with the smaller boards, and Roland responded to the criticisms of the Alpha action by trying to keep all the main features of the PHAIII keybed, while scaling it down to fit the reduced dimensions. Something has to give in that equation.

I did find that, after a couple of weeks, I had adjusted to the "G" action sufficiently not to worry about it while playing. If I stopped to think about it, it seemed overly heavy, and occasionally I'd lose the odd note in a fast run because I hadn't hit the key with enough force, or had struck it too near the pivot point. I had been thinking about replacing the RD with the FP-50, but I'm on the fence about it due to these slight qualms concerning the action. I think I was a little hasty in selling my FP-4...

Good points, I agree. My problem is that the extra work required to play the FP-50 action tends to inflame my tendinitis.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I could never get comfortable with the FP4 personally, specifically because of the action. Didn't like the FP-4F or FP7 that much either. The only Roland action/sound connection I've found to be agreeable with me is the 700NX. PHA III is it ? Maybe to a lesser extent the one on the V-Piano.

I will keep an open mind and see if the FP50 or 80 agrees with me. Basically though, I think the main issue is- I'm not a Roland guy. wink

Have an offer out on a CP5 through CL . It's lower then seller wants. He has all these "accessories" (that I don't need) he wants to unload. He said he wanted to test the waters for a few weeks to see if it sells at his asking price. I said cool, get back to me if doesn't sell. I'm in no hurry, the Nord is working fine actually. I'm probably content to wait things out for a new CP line or another CP5 to come along. I know I don't want to pay more then $1500 for a used one.

T
T
Waking up an old thread, but instead of creating a new one...

I was testing the RD800 (PHAIII?) and a 5 minute walk away testing the A-88 (Ivory Feel-G). Went back and forth a couple of times and couldn't feel a big difference. If I'd had them side by side I'd probably have felt it. As I was looking for a great controller for software pianos the price/feature ratio made the A-88 the clear winner.

Last edited by tinybox; 05/27/14 12:45 AM.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
RD800 has PHA4, which, I have read, would be PHA3 + better damping.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
To get back to the question of the OP; I'd say "good enough" . Now owning an FA-08 for a while and considering the price point and weight, the action is just fine and I don't have any complaints other than a lack of more sophisticated touch curve control. Also it feels very solid (long-lasting), which isn't exactly the feeling I had with the PX5s keybed, although that plays pretty good as well. It's not PHA4 / GF , but no-one expects that for this price, size and weight.

G
G
For me, the action feels very good except for some lack of repetition speed. If you get used to not being able to re-sound the same key quickly again and again, then the action is actually fairly good and better than what's found on most uprights IMHO.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission