Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2096426 - 06/05/13 06:17 PM physical shape and piano playing.....
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Well...

To go with my 5 months of constant ringing in my ears and snapped bone in back of hand plus smoking habit...

Weighed myself today... 42 lb's over my ideal weight.... i have fat fingers....

About time i sort myself out! If i get any fatter, my fingers wont squeeze in the black keys.... its a real issue lol...

Damn you chocolate covered hobnobs and kfc. :-)

I have joined a gym... i have manboobs. This will not stand!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2096447 - 06/05/13 07:11 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
You'll find there are a lot of parallels between fitness and learning a musical instrument. A little of each goes a long way (at first); just start with a little bit a few days a week focusing on building a habit of just getting up and going there for maybe 30 minutes to an hour and, just like with the piano, you'll find that consistency awards you handsomely! I commend you on taking the initiative to change for the better.

#2096470 - 06/05/13 07:59 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
UK Paul UK, I have read your post, here:

Well...

To go with my 5 months of constant ringing in my ears and snapped bone in back of hand plus smoking habit...

About time i sort myself out! If i get any fatter, my fingers wont squeeze in the black keys.... its a real issue lol...

It can be done! I was 58 and a couple of guys from work said they played half court basketball every summer. They 34 - me 58. I said I never played basketball and I would love to learn so I could play at a community center. So the guys took me to a park every sunday to learn how to dribble and shoot, throw and catch, etc. I also had to go to the gym and go to the beach to climb stairs - lots of stairs. Guys and gals from work who hadn't play basketball since high school - were joining in after work for a game. I started playing at different community centers 5 times a week. It was awesome. I weighted 248 pounds and the doctors were trying to throw blood pressure pills at me. Well, after two years I was down to 185 from sweating and running around the gym playing as a beginner basketball player would play - badly. Then I had a serious health issue and the doctors told me my body would not support an accident of any kind so sports were out. Since then my health has improved, my blood pressure is great say the doctors and I now weight 170. And to substitute for basketball - I fell in love with learning to play the piano.

I chosen a diet of simmered chicken breast in water, a romaine letice salad with 3 medium tomatoes sliced razor thin. I only drink milk not water or anything else. I have 2 oranges sliced every morning in addition of the above mentioned food, an apple or 2 a day and lots of raisins. I have the meal mentioned above 3 or more times a day. I don't eat eggs, etc. For a salad dressing I grate cheddar cheese shredded fine and then frozen and then taken out of the freezer and crushed by hand and sprinkled on the salad. So - no fat, so sugar, so salt, just what is in the cheese. I realize the rest of the world wouldn't like it but it is fine for me. Then I go for walks and play the piano. Life is simple - good.

About fingers thin or fat - as you can imagine, remember the key signature and remembering which notes are flattened or sharped - for a beginner like me - is a problem!

cheers, and good luck with the scales - middle C or pounds - if you will!

#2096476 - 06/05/13 08:16 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
UK Paul UK, you can do it... you can change your eating habits and quit smoking and feel better and look better, and enjoy your piano adventure!

In the last three years, I've lost over 50 lbs, 3 waist sizes and pumped up my biceps and my abs. smile

The key is lots of determination, will power, motivation, and consistency. I exercise at least an hour on my off days, and 30 minutes a day on work days, and I take one day a week off and rest. I do a regiment of exercises on a stair stepper machine, an elliptical machine, lifting free weights and doing sit-ups. I have this equipment at my home and don’t have to go anywhere or pay dues.

I feel better, look better, can play the piano better (at least in my mind smile ), and have a better outlook on life itself, in spite of other enormous hardships I have in my life.

If I can do it, you can do it! smile

All the best!

Rick

#2096477 - 06/05/13 08:18 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Learning to play the piano, and keeping in shape, have at least one thing in common...self-discipline.

#2096540 - 06/05/13 10:03 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
carolyn227 Offline

You can do it! I'm right there with you, trying to get back to my ideal weight. I've lost 15 pounds and have 25 to go to get back to normal, but I'd like to go a step further and lose an additional 10 pounds to get back to where I was when I got married almost 13 years ago. I wasn't practicing much when I was heavier, but the discipline of my dietary changes has helped me transition to the discipline of practicing daily.

#2096609 - 06/05/13 11:11 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You can do it! Anybody who has the discipline to play piano can decide to embark on a healthier routine.

If you like piano music, might I suggest ballet? Don't laugh; there are adult beginner guys at my ballet studio, and there are even some interesting blogs from men who started ballet as an adult who never once ever thought ballet would be something for them. Here's one: http://www.davetriesballet.com/about-2/

Lots of good core strengthening, alignment and general conditioning.

I have felt less self-conscious at my ballet class than when I used to go to the gym and take spin class. You're concentrating so hard you don't have time to care.
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2096726 - 06/06/13 02:21 AM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
UK Paul UK Offline

Cheers guys and gals .... a bit of positive encouragment will work wonders! Ten years ago i was happily eating what i wanted, ametuer kickboxing fights were keeping me tight in all the right places... i have a very physical job but its all gradually snuck up on me.... but its not rocket science.... i know i love the sweets and big portions... ive told my girlfriend if i can loose all the weight im growing a moustache... she has stated she wont be sleeping with me then. However... on the lighter side, i think moustaches are cool... should be back in fashion and apart from the disaproval from the lady... it will motivate me to achieve! Be prepared for the picture of said moustache when i get there!

Twosnowflakes.... i dont think i would suit a tutu and leotard... haha ... but i did go and watch st petersburg ballet troup perform swan lake... those men and women are impressivelly toned.. a lot to be said for the arts... id quite like tapdance too if my knee wasnt kicked to ruin...

#2096834 - 06/06/13 09:13 AM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I agree, do not take ballet if you are going to show up in a tutu and leotard. I think we can all be spared that. laugh
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2097143 - 06/06/13 04:06 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
UK Paul UK Offline

Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes
I agree, do not take ballet if you are going to show up in a tutu and leotard. I think we can all be spared that. laugh

Wise words.....haha...

Though when were called for the pianoworld calander... im definately in the tutu and moustache combo... mmmmmm yeah!

#2097150 - 06/06/13 04:18 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: UK Paul UK

Wise words.....haha...

Though when were called for the pianoworld calander... im definately in the tutu and moustache combo... mmmmmm yeah!

I took ballet from a Russian from the Moscow Ballet, living in northern Wisconsin for some odd reason.

After about a week I happened to break my ankle parachuting. My wife went in to explain why I wouldn't be there and he eagerly refunded my money. Apparently he was going to kick me out as just unsuited for ballet anyway.

#2097155 - 06/06/13 04:36 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
Hammertime Offline

Loc: Worcs, UK
@ UK Paul - have you seen the 5:2 way of eating - there was a Horizon program on TV by Dr Michael Moseley explaining all about it.

I've been living this way of life since mid March and whilst I'm doing it for the much 'bigger' health benefits (giving my body chance to 'repair') I've also lost around 20lb in the process. Might be worth a look.

#2097204 - 06/06/13 05:56 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: TimR]
UK Paul UK Offline

Originally Posted By: TimR

Wise words.....haha...

I took ballet from a Russian from the Moscow Ballet, living in northern Wisconsin for some odd reason.

After about a week I happened to break my ankle parachuting. My wife went in to explain why I wouldn't be there and he eagerly refunded my money. Apparently he was going to kick me out as just unsuited for ballet anyway.

Brilliant...! Some of us are just not built for ballet :-D

#2097210 - 06/06/13 06:01 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: Hammertime]
UK Paul UK Offline

Originally Posted By: Hammer-time
@ UK Paul - have you seen the 5:2 way of eating - there was a Horizon program on TV by Dr Michael Moseley explaining all about it.

I've been living this way of life since mid March and whilst I'm doing it for the much 'bigger' health benefits (giving my body chance to 'repair') I've also lost around 20lb in the process. Might be worth a look.

Sounds interesting..... well done with the weight loss so far! I will take a look:-)

#2097960 - 06/07/13 03:30 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: Hammertime]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Hammer-time

Me too. I don't know how much weight I've lost, but I have lost more than 2" off the waist so far, and can see hints of abs for the first time in decades. I also exercise several times a week, but did anyway. My downfall was chocolate, still is really on my normal food days.

#2097975 - 06/07/13 04:03 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
If you give up smoking, drinking and eating the food you love, you may not live any longer.....but it will certainly feel a lot longer.

#2097996 - 06/07/13 05:05 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
Schubertslieder Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Well...

I hope you are not going through a pregnancy, which you didn't know about, laugh

#2098418 - 06/08/13 12:39 AM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I have posted in threads about health, exercise. I fear it may sound like spamming. Really isn't. You're older now. You need to be real smart about exercise.
Many many people get into exercise. Then injure. Then go through recovery. Then start again. It's a vicious cycle.
Or they quit, burnt out. Then get excited again and try again.
Be smart about exercise, eating right, taking care of yourself. The results can be great.

#2098436 - 06/08/13 01:51 AM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"I agree, do not take ballet if you are going to show up in a tutu and leotard. I think we can all be spared that."

I`m a cyclist. You`ll never get me in lycra . . . .

""

#2099044 - 06/08/13 11:39 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: peterws]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
peterws, I have read your post, here:

"I agree, do not take ballet if you are going to show up in a tutu and leotard. I think we can all be spared that."

I`m a cyclist. You`ll never get me in lycra . . . .

But if you ride a Harley, is it okay to show up in leather?

#2099351 - 06/09/13 02:56 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: Michael_99]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Leather?? What comes off dead animals? Denim, man! Denim! Or if you ride the Ultraglide, a fake police uniform . .

""

#2099523 - 06/09/13 05:35 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: UK Paul UK]
UK Paul UK Offline

Lol...

#2100410 - 06/10/13 03:11 PM Re: physical shape and piano playing..... [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland

Don't choose trampoline sport also. It seems fun when overweighted, but the leotard is mandatory for men on exam days.

Playing since May 02 2009

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Checked out a Richmond Studio upright
by Paul678
15 minutes 32 seconds ago
Piece ID
by IstvánE
Yesterday at 10:14 PM
Pre purchase inspection
by mellie62
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Do Parents want to hear the truth anymore?
by chasingrainbows
Yesterday at 09:28 PM
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
Who's Online
67 registered (beeboss, Ben_NZ, accordeur, barbaram, AliAlkhiro, 13 invisible), 962 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157682 Topics
2316091 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission