2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Barb860
I think it's necessary to phone people back as soon as possible, even if you have a wait list.

I agree. I return calls withing 24 hours.

However, I think there is an issue that hasn't been explored yet on this thread: there are different types of teachers. Some teachers are doing this full time, and running a studio of 30-60 students. It's their livelihood and they realize they are running a full time business. These teachers ought to return all calls.

But there are also some teachers who earn a living in another way, and might teach only 5 students. They're teaching a few students because they want to, and they might not return calls because their five slots are already full and they're not looking at their teaching as their full-time business. Some might not care if they are following best business practices, just that they are giving excellent instruction to their five students.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Just for the record, I met with the student today and he is a perfect gentleman, keen and willing for all the patience needed. I signed him up but did explain the need for him to commit.

P
P
I want to personally thank you for returning every call and E mail. I don't know why, before, I find not returning e mails and calls very frustrating...no one likes to be rejected...But I found my teacher and am now very happy!

Last edited by pianolover85; 06/03/13 08:18 PM.

Peace and love and play smile
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I have a younger than myself female teacher. Before my elbows started giving me problems I: took hours no one else wanted; consciously avoiding after school hours; always paid on time; almost never canceled and always willing to pay (not always accepted); practiced like a fiend and played in the recitals without being a twittering, nervous wreck. For a long time I was her only adult student and she would usually mention when she got a new one. When I asked, later, how they were doing, they were usually already gone.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
No excuse IMO for not returning a message, if only to say you're not available.

But I think there are quite a few piano teachers out there who can keep their calendar filled teaching only children.

Not only with piano but other instruments as well there seem to be two kinds of teachers. Those who teach a lot of kids and want to specialize in teaching children. And those who teach a lot of kids but who welcome the change-of-pace of working with adult students. But children are the core market no matter what!

P.S. You may also be trying to hear back from teachers at the worst possible time. Around here this is the first week that school is out and perhaps the most popular week of the year for vacation travel...

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I just have to say how ironic I find this topic.

I am tempted to start another topic:

Students don't want teachers?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Gary D.

Start it up, Gary! Everybody gear up for it smile

Piano Teacher
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
There have been so many thoughtful, insightful responses from passionate, dedicated teachers to this topic. Did the OP ever respond or acknowledge any of these replies? I don't seem to find the OP anywhere other than the initial post.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
J
justpin Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I'm reading them! I've a prospective session on Sunday with a guy named Peter, another fairly experienced chap who actually composes and arranges things himself as he doesn't believe in any music books.

I'd note he doesn't advertise anywhere and was recommended by another dabbler on the piano.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary D.

Or maybe teachers wanting to teach, meeting students wanting to learn. And vice versa. smile

Last edited by keystring; 06/06/13 07:51 PM.
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by malkin

Originally Posted by Barb860
I received a call over the weekend asking about lessons. I called the person back this morning to thank them for their call and to ask if they would like me to put them on my wait list because my studio is full right now. The person said this, "WHY WOULD YOU EVEN BOTHER TO CALL ME BACK IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OPENINGS???!" Yes, rudely, just like that. This might be a bit off topic but I think it's necessary to phone people back as soon as possible, even if you have a wait list.

Wow Barb! That was a wild one. Lucky thing that you didn't have an opening!

I had a couple teachers state to me that they weren't taking students and had a waiting list--and ending the conversation without asking if I'd be interested in being on the waiting list. I thought that was a little weird, and kind of another way of saying that they didn't want me as a student.

That makes me think a good initial filter for piano teachers answering or returning calls about open studio spots may be to respond that they'll need to be put on the wait list for the time being. If all goes well, the following day, a spot may just magically "open" wink.

I called, emailed and left messages at a so called "piano studio". I was anxious about starting lessons, and only had Google to help me. I never got an email, call or anything back. I found the company on Twitter, and sent them a message there. They rudely replied about how busy they are and to just send an email with my information.

This was March, and to this day no response *rude*. I make sure to talk about their company loudly to anyone who cares to listen.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission